Sagar - West End

Contact 020-7631-3319

17A Percy Street (at Tottenham Court Road, Tube: Goodge Street), London, England, W1T 1DU

London vegetarian restaurant specializing in South Indian cuisine. Vegan menu available upon request. Mon-Fri 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Fri 5:30pm-10:30pm, Sat 12:00pm-11:30pm, Sun 12:00pm-10:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine

First Review by Jemima

Okay restaurant but nothing special - Edit

Typical Indian restaurant. Food is okay but nothing special. Decor could do with a change to bring it up to standard as it looked quite dated.

Pros: Nice location

Cons: Decor is a bit old

Tasty South Indian Food - Edit

I went to Sagar with some non veggy friends and we were all happy with our food. Nice to have a lot of choice for savoury food but nothing on the sweet menu for vegans.

Pros: Tasty food, Good choice for vegans for savoury

Cons: Expensive, No sweet choice for vegans

Excellent food, poor service - Edit

We LOVED the food! However, every time we wanted something we had to get up, walk over to the servers who were milling around the bar, and ask them to help us. We were there for 35 minutes before anyone came to our table to even offer water. What made this even more surprising was they weren't busy.

Also, their website says they're open throughout the day. We went and they were closed.

Pros: Excellent food, clean, good neighborhood

Cons: unattentive wait service, hours on website don't match actual hours

Very Good Food, Excellent Service! - Edit

All of the dishes we had we very good, and the portions were generous. The desserts were especially delicious. However, what really stood out was the top notch service. The staff was attentive without seeming to be hovering. Excellent choice for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike!

Good and tasty food, vegan friendly - Edit

Everytime I'm in London I go here for the masala dosa, which is tasty but I'm missing some extra Indian spices. Overall it's good and the oersonel is friendly. Good seatings and they never rush you to leave in contrary to other places in London. Vegan friendly, but do mention it!!

Pros: Okay prices, Spacious, Friendly personnel

Cons: A bit adjusted to European taste

bit expensive but worth it - Edit

Amazing veggie and vegan Indian food with optional vegan menu. The dosas and lentil pizzas were especially good, as was the garlic rice.

Staff were friendly and the atmosphere was nice

Pros: good location, nice staff, delicious food

Cons: tiny bit pricey

Good selection, a bit disappointing - Edit

Visited this place while working alone in London.
The menu was very good with lots of choice. Some of the dishes being served looked amazing.
Unfortunately, maybe I made the wrong choices. The food was ok but not spectacular.
It seemed expensive to me, but maybe that's just London prices.
The place itself was fairly basic. Not posh, but not scruffy either.

Pros: Good choice, Quick service

Cons: Quite pricey, Disappointing meals

Very good food! - Edit

Very friendly staff. Didn't know about the separate vegan menu, but staff was very helpful, pointing out what was vegan and not. My mom is pescetarian and ordered something lacto-vegetarian, and when we were served they again were very clear about her dish not being vegan. This is something I think is really important, that they take vegans seriously and were making sure that I, who are vegan, didn't eat the lacto-vegetarian dish - as we usually taste each others food when we go out to eat.

Excellent food, best Indian I've ever had. Lovely atmosphere in the restaurant. Nice interior. Everything was great.

Pros: great food, vegan options, friendly and helpful staff, nice atmosphere

The best veggie south indian food - Edit

The food and service is fantastic. We have been visiting this restaurant frequently for 3 years and have never been disappointed. Its 100% veggie, just ask your waiter for the vegan menu - there's so much choice, i love the dosas and uthapams, the brinjal bhajee curry is another favourite with garlic rice, and as for breads poori every time - deep fried puffy pillows of tastiness!
Non veggie friends family and work colleagues also love it here- always a good thing!
I have also visited the covent garden branch a few times - same great food, but atmosphere and staff better at the west end branch.

Pros: 100% veggie restaurant, Separate extensive vegan menu, Great value for money

Average at best - Edit

I went here with my mum and boyfriend for lunch. The service was okay - not exactly friendly but not overtly rude. Having read some of the previous reviews I was quite excited to try this place out. I asked for the vegan menu, which I thought was pretty cool that they have a separate menu - however a lot of stuff on the vegan menu is on the regular menu, so I am not sure what the difference is or how they tell the difference when they bring the food out, as the guy who brought the food out didn't seem to know that some of it was meant to be vegan?
Anyway - the food was okay, it all pretty much tasted the same. I had a chick pea dish which was nice, nothing special. I think that they must use a lot of salt thinking its going to flavour their dishes. The veg samosas were dry and again, lacked flavour
Overall I personally wouldn't go here again, I know that a lot of regular indian restaurants not proclaiming to be vegan, will accommodate you if you speak to the manager. Sagar i think is overpriced for what they offer.

Disappointing - Edit

Based on the good reviews, I went to Sagar for lunch. Perhaps I caught them on a bad day, but the food was very tasteless. The starter was overwhelmed by raw onion and was dry. My masala dosa had a soggy and bland potato filling although the dosa itself was fresh.
All in all, very disappointing.

Pros: Good choice of menu, Central location

Cons: Bland food

Lunch Box - Edit

Sagar has the best lunch box take away for £3.50, and you get a curry, dal, rice, roti, and a little salad or raita depending. Vegan or vegetarian.

I always ask for the Channa Masala in the lunch box.

They know me by now! Favourite lunch.

Pros: Great food, Cheap Lunch box take away, Friendly service

Cons: None!

Very satisfying and tasty South Indian food - Edit

I always enjoy eating at Indian restaurants but this one was especially nice. They have a vegan specific menu which makes choosing what to eat easy and there was lots of choice too. I settled for some Idli, a basic salad, and an Utthapam. I've never had an Utthapam before but found it very tasty but have no reference comparison. I was also eating alone and I felt very relaxed and comfortable there. Staff were really friendly towards me too with time between meals about right. I was there early evening on a Wednesday and it seemed very popular.

Pros: Vegan specific menu, Welcoming and relaxed, Good food

Delicious! - Edit

Ask for the vegan menu if you're vegan; most important! Went twice while in London, absolutely spectacular. Fresh squeezed juice at one location was delightful. Samosa's are fantastic, as are the sauces.. and the Masala Dosa are excellent.

Great for vegans! - Edit

I've been here twice now and been very impressed, they have a vegan menu with loads of choice! The staff were friendly and helpful and didn't mind us playing a card game while we waited for a latecomer! I have to say the portions are not huge, which was a good thing really as I couldn't have taken any home. The prices are very reasonable, so you can order quite a few things. I would definitely suggest getting a side and starter. I had the dal and it was lovely. Their pickle tray is a bit different to other places I've been, very sweet and quite mild, but very nice for a change. They also label their vegan wines which was very helpful!

Pros: cheap, vegan friendly

Cons: small portions

delicious - Edit

I arrived quite late so the place was not so full any more. The service was friendly and efficient. I ordered the thali, which was a great choice as you get to sample several dishes. They were all really delicious. This is definitely one of the better Indian restaurants I have been to.

Great South Indian food (not only) for vegans - Edit

A great South Indian veggie place with an extended vegan menu card. Even being a vegan I found it very difficult to choose: various sorts of lentil pizza with sambar (= a vegetable stew) + coconut chutney, masalas, filled dosas (= lentil pancakes), various rice specialties... you name it. In the end I decided to go for a Thali upon the recommendation of the friendly waiter who answered all my questions about the food (and I did have a lot of them). The Thali was extremely delicious. When I get back to London I will definitely go there again, and I highly recommend it to everybody who likes South Indian food or just wants to try it.

Pros: excellent food, friendly service, great variety

Good south indian vegan food with decent prices - Edit

We ate some curry and lentil pizza from the separate vegan menu. The dishes were pretty good, not anything really special but good decent priced indian food. The staff was friendly but we would have been more comfortable with less inqueries all the time.

Pros: Vegan menu, Price, Location

Cons: Too eager service, Taste not special

Disappointing - Edit

I tried this place for the first time a few weeks ago. I was pleased that there was a vegan menu, but annoyed that their lunch special was not available for vegans. Instead I went for a dosa, and it was without a doubt the worst dosa I have ever had (and I've had a fair few). The pancake was fine but the filling was horrible - soggy potato and lots of carrot. [edited by staff] Makes me shudder thinking about it now. I didn't get a starter but had a taster of my co-diner's starter (she had the much more generous lunch deal as she was not a vegan). It consisted of a rather dry patty and two sauces, one of which wasn't vegan so I didn't try it, the other of which was foul with a horrid lemon taste that didn't complement the patty at all.
My co-diner, who was French and not vegetarian, thought the food was tasty and good value. Hence I will give this place two stars. But I won't eat there again. [edited by staff- see ToS]

Pros: Good value lunch menu for non-vegans, Vegan menu, My co-diner liked it

Cons: Lousy food, Lunch deal isn't vegan, Better restaurants in neighbourhood

Yummy! Go, go, go! - Edit

This is a great vegan/vegetarian restaurant if you like Southern Indian quisine. It's a really delightful place. Fasdidiously clean and very friendly. I was such a pig I went twice in one week.

It's reasonably priced and, more importantly, extremely good food. The staff are lovely and can remember your order without writing things down (I was secretly impressed!). There are a couple of outside tables which is lovely when it's warm out.

If you're vegan (like me) ask for the vegan menu as we have out own one. They make sure if you order things like Papadams, that you know which of the dips are vegan, without you even having to ask.

Enjoy. It's well worth the trip.

Pros: Yummy food, Great staff, Great pricing

spicy delight - Edit

i love going into restaurants and not having o explain my veganism. even better when i am handed a vegan menu as was the case in Sagar. I enetered as the sole patron at 6 pm but it soon filled up and waa full when my grub was ompleted.
beautiful lentil doughnuts and pancakes. i wished i han't of gone to red veg for a burger just an hour previously but i was on holiday after all.
recommended

Pros: great menu, friendly staff

Decent Place - Edit

Walkable distance from Tottenham Court Rd tube.
Blonde wood and other decor light coloured. Indian music plays in the background except for when the track veers on to Western muzak, different to Cafe del Mar or Air etc. Seven thirty to nine are the busiest times at night I was informed. Five to six it is very quiet and suitable for singles as was the case when I visited.

The menu contains South Indian food. I had vadas for starter, bhaji curry and vegetable pilau for main and mango lassi. The vada ware perfectly crispy on the outside, moist on the inside, perhaps because they were quite big with a very small hole in the middle. The curry was very good although the smashed vegetables contained in it consisted mostly of potatoes. I would reccommend anyone on a diet to order something different to what I did. Ghee was liberally present. The menu did note that it was curry with ghee. The lassi was good. Overall good cuisine.

Service is very friendly. There was only one other patron when I visited, from Columbia visiting London, who often passes through India on the way to Poland for business...When she left it was time for my interview.

Good value.

Pros: good cuisine, good value, peaceful place w v friendly staff

Cons: if staff bored you may have to entertain, veers to type of Western muzak sometimes

Return to London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sagar - West End closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6071 times since Jun 2008.