Sagar - West End

17A Percy Street (at Tottenham Court Road, Tube: Goodge Street), London, England, W1T 1DU

London vegetarian restaurant specializing in South Indian cuisine. Vegan menu available upon request. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Fri 5:30pm-10:30pm, Sat 12:00pm-11:30pm, Sun 12:00pm-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine

First Review by Jemima

Separate vegan menu, but quite expensive - Edit

The food was nice but as it was quite expensive we didn't order as much as we would have liked. The separate vegan menu is very handy so make sure you ask for it. Tasty!

Good Indian restaurant - Edit

I had dinner at Sagar a couple of weeks ago and I was happy to be able to explore its menu: it's a kind of Indian food I am/was unfamiliar with! The "lentils' pizza" made me curious, and I liked it (though it's not "pizza" in the Italian sense, of course!). Next time I'll be in the area I will do my best to go back there!

Pros: Interesting menu, Good food

Okay restaurant but nothing special - Edit

Typical Indian restaurant. Food is okay but nothing special. Decor could do with a change to bring it up to standard as it looked quite dated.

Pros: Nice location

Cons: Decor is a bit old

Tasty South Indian Food - Edit

I went to Sagar with some non veggy friends and we were all happy with our food. Nice to have a lot of choice for savoury food but nothing on the sweet menu for vegans.

Pros: Tasty food, Good choice for vegans for savoury

Cons: Expensive, No sweet choice for vegans

Quality - Edit

Good quality And well presented food . Little bit pricey but worths a visit

Pros: Quality

Cons: Expensive

Excellent food, poor service - Edit

We LOVED the food! However, every time we wanted something we had to get up, walk over to the servers who were milling around the bar, and ask them to help us. We were there for 35 minutes before anyone came to our table to even offer water. What made this even more surprising was they weren't busy.

Also, their website says they're open throughout the day. We went and they were closed.

Pros: Excellent food, clean, good neighborhood

Cons: unattentive wait service, hours on website don't match actual hours

Very Good Food, Excellent Service! - Edit

All of the dishes we had we very good, and the portions were generous. The desserts were especially delicious. However, what really stood out was the top notch service. The staff was attentive without seeming to be hovering. Excellent choice for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike!

Good and tasty food, vegan friendly - Edit

Everytime I'm in London I go here for the masala dosa, which is tasty but I'm missing some extra Indian spices. Overall it's good and the oersonel is friendly. Good seatings and they never rush you to leave in contrary to other places in London. Vegan friendly, but do mention it!!

Pros: Okay prices, Spacious, Friendly personnel

Cons: A bit adjusted to European taste

Decent lunch menu - Edit

I've stopped in for the thali a couple of times. The staff were always happy to give me a vegan selection.

bit expensive but worth it - Edit

Amazing veggie and vegan Indian food with optional vegan menu. The dosas and lentil pizzas were especially good, as was the garlic rice.

Staff were friendly and the atmosphere was nice

Pros: good location, nice staff, delicious food

Cons: tiny bit pricey

Good selection, a bit disappointing - Edit

Visited this place while working alone in London.
The menu was very good with lots of choice. Some of the dishes being served looked amazing.
Unfortunately, maybe I made the wrong choices. The food was ok but not spectacular.
It seemed expensive to me, but maybe that's just London prices.
The place itself was fairly basic. Not posh, but not scruffy either.

Pros: Good choice, Quick service

Cons: Quite pricey, Disappointing meals

good solid Indian food - Edit

Sweet servers - not the best English. Delicious Indian food, but ordered spicy and was very mild. Overall good experience

Very good food! - Edit

Very friendly staff. Didn't know about the separate vegan menu, but staff was very helpful, pointing out what was vegan and not. My mom is pescetarian and ordered something lacto-vegetarian, and when we were served they again were very clear about her dish not being vegan. This is something I think is really important, that they take vegans seriously and were making sure that I, who are vegan, didn't eat the lacto-vegetarian dish - as we usually taste each others food when we go out to eat.

Excellent food, best Indian I've ever had. Lovely atmosphere in the restaurant. Nice interior. Everything was great.

Pros: great food, vegan options, friendly and helpful staff, nice atmosphere

The best veggie south indian food - Edit

The food and service is fantastic. We have been visiting this restaurant frequently for 3 years and have never been disappointed. Its 100% veggie, just ask your waiter for the vegan menu - there's so much choice, i love the dosas and uthapams, the brinjal bhajee curry is another favourite with garlic rice, and as for breads poori every time - deep fried puffy pillows of tastiness!
Non veggie friends family and work colleagues also love it here- always a good thing!
I have also visited the covent garden branch a few times - same great food, but atmosphere and staff better at the west end branch.

Pros: 100% veggie restaurant, Separate extensive vegan menu, Great value for money

Average at best - Edit

I went here with my mum and boyfriend for lunch. The service was okay - not exactly friendly but not overtly rude. Having read some of the previous reviews I was quite excited to try this place out. I asked for the vegan menu, which I thought was pretty cool that they have a separate menu - however a lot of stuff on the vegan menu is on the regular menu, so I am not sure what the difference is or how they tell the difference when they bring the food out, as the guy who brought the food out didn't seem to know that some of it was meant to be vegan?
Anyway - the food was okay, it all pretty much tasted the same. I had a chick pea dish which was nice, nothing special. I think that they must use a lot of salt thinking its going to flavour their dishes. The veg samosas were dry and again, lacked flavour
Overall I personally wouldn't go here again, I know that a lot of regular indian restaurants not proclaiming to be vegan, will accommodate you if you speak to the manager. Sagar i think is overpriced for what they offer.

Disappointing - Edit

Based on the good reviews, I went to Sagar for lunch. Perhaps I caught them on a bad day, but the food was very tasteless. The starter was overwhelmed by raw onion and was dry. My masala dosa had a soggy and bland potato filling although the dosa itself was fresh.
All in all, very disappointing.

Pros: Good choice of menu, Central location

Cons: Bland food

Lunch Box - Edit

Sagar has the best lunch box take away for £3.50, and you get a curry, dal, rice, roti, and a little salad or raita depending. Vegan or vegetarian.

I always ask for the Channa Masala in the lunch box.

They know me by now! Favourite lunch.

Pros: Great food, Cheap Lunch box take away, Friendly service

Cons: None!

Very satisfying and tasty South Indian food - Edit

I always enjoy eating at Indian restaurants but this one was especially nice. They have a vegan specific menu which makes choosing what to eat easy and there was lots of choice too. I settled for some Idli, a basic salad, and an Utthapam. I've never had an Utthapam before but found it very tasty but have no reference comparison. I was also eating alone and I felt very relaxed and comfortable there. Staff were really friendly towards me too with time between meals about right. I was there early evening on a Wednesday and it seemed very popular.

Pros: Vegan specific menu, Welcoming and relaxed, Good food

Return to London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sagar - West End closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.