Sagar - Covent Garden

• Vegetarian
Contact 0207836 6377

31 Catherine St, Covent Garden, London, England, WC2B 5JS

This small vegetarian South Indian restaurant offers a vegan menu. Serves nut-free, wheat-free and onion & garlic-free dishes. Try the early dining offer of around £6-7 for papadam and pickle, raitha, 2 curries, rice, bread and dessert.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Indian, Beer/Wine

First Review by IanEiloart

Good, cheap food - Edit

Extremely cheap for the location and I've had quite a few dishes from here and have enjoyed them all.
I think the plain pizza tastes like sizzler cheese bread, so that excited me a lot!

Pros: Delicious, Cheap , Great location

Cons: Customer service needs improvement

Still has potential.. - Edit

I personally had some troubles explaining Vegan to them and it seemed they were pretending to understand what's in the food sometimes. For example they couldn't confirm if they used animal gee in their curry...

The restaurant has great potential if they had better service and knowledge about whats in their food.

Pros: Location

Cons: Service, Lack of Vegan knowledge

YES YES YES - Edit

I came here as I saw those photos of the menu options (which are NOT available anymore!) but had a dish of okras cooked in tomato sauce with a side of papadam. The papadam (of which I got extra -yippie) came with four dips and I can't explain how incredible those things were combined. A complete taste explosion. So so so good!!!

Pros: supreme , nice staff

Cons: expensive!

Sagar Sagar - Edit

Went here before a theatre show and was very taken with the place. The sight of so many lentil donuts and giant crispy pancakes was worth the price on it's own ! I personally did not have the guts to try anything that exotic so I stuck to my favourite Indian dish, dhal and chapatis. I was NOT disappointed.

Had a very refreshing Limbu Pani to drink. Not many vegan desserts unfortunately. Only sorbet.

Great service.

Excellent restaurant, will be going back. - Edit

Great selection of food, superb flavours, and very friendly service. We went because we were already in the area, and were early enough to get in on a Saturday without a reservation. We live about 20 miles from the centre of London and have already decided that we will make a special journey just to return to this restaurant.

Excellent South Indian in Covent Garden - Edit

If you like South Indian food then this place is for you. Extra special because they have a completely separate vegan menu - so no need for awkward conversations about what is suitable etc - a very large part of the menu is vegan. I opted for the vegan Thali - at £16.95 it was far more than I could eat - a good taster of many of the curries available here. My companions opted for dosas which were substantial meals in themselves. All up for the 3 of us the bill came to £50 - including drinks - so not cheap but by no means expensive for London - very good value I thought. The restaurant was busy but the service was good.

Pros: Separate vegan menu, Reasonably priced, Great food

Fantastic food and friendly service - an Oasis in Covent Garden - Edit

Met up with an old American omni mate of mine in convent garden. Took him to Sagar, first visit for both of us. Had very traditional veg Indian fare, samosa's and onion Bahji's as starters. The best samosa's I have ever had. Tasted like they had been freshly made, living in England you have samosa's all the time but these really were fantastic. We then had Dosas ( lentil pancakes) and some mixed Dahls. It was all perfectly cooked. The restaurant has a nice mellow, friendly vibe. Will definitely go back next time I'm in the Smokes. Prices were very good.

very nice place - Edit

Nice and lovely food, they have a vegan and a vegetarian menu.
Food is not on the cheap side. Thali is about £19,don't be mislead by the pictures here in happy cow.
I would recommend the place.

Excellent - Edit

Went for dinner on the weekend, we had booked in advance which I think was a good idea as at 6 it was pretty packed.

Ordered from the vegan menu, a selection of starters and a couple of currys and a "lentil pizza". All delicious and very good sized portions - the samosas were HUGE!

Friendly staff, fast service, reasonable prices especailly considering the Covent Garden location.

Would go again

Pros: Reasonable price, esp for central London, Wide menu, Quick service

Cons: Not a very big venue

Great Indian - Edit

We started with popadoms and Medu Vada (Fried lentil donuts). Followed by the Masala Dosa (Rice and lentil golden pancakes filled with potato, onions & carrot) and the Masala Uthappam (Rice and lentil pizza topped with potato, onion and coriander). The food was all amazing!

The staff are great with allergies and the menu clearly states it's allergens as well. The food cake quickly and the staff were very attentive. I would definitely go back if I was in London again!

Really great vegetarian restaurant in Covent Garde - Edit

Took an Omni friend there and we both loved it. The best samosas and onion Bhaji I have ever had. Had Dosa's (lentil pancakes) and some Dahl's. The food was brilliant and the service is very good and friendly. Will go back soon

Pros: fully veg/vegan, great food, great loaction

Cons: none

Good food - Edit

I have been here a few times with vegans and omnivores. All have enjoyed their meals.

There is a separate vegan menu, which makes it really easy. And staff get it i.e. they're very clear about what is and isn't vegan and why.

The food is good, Indian food. The platter with small bits of lots of different things is particularly good. The lemondade is very nice. I've never tried the desserts, so can't comment on them. I would really like them to make a vegan peshawari naan though, I do miss them since I became vegan.

The food is served very quickly. Staff certainly aren't rude, but they're not particularly friendly either.

Pros: Vegan options, Good food, Quick

Cons: Small-ish, Staff not particularly friendly

Good food, prompt but cold service - Edit

My partner and I came here for lunch. The place was very busy and the only table left was the one right behind the front door. No biggie. Staff was quick to take our orders and deliver them to the table despite their impersonal attitude. They all seemed a bit surly for some reason. However, as a seasoned Indian restaurant goer, I long ago came to realize that this was just the way it was and stopped making much of it. Food was pretty decent, prices reasonable. One star taken for the service.

Pros: good food

Cons: unfriendly staff

The food was really good and reasonably priced. - Edit

I actually found this restaurant through yelp at first while hanging out in Covent Garden. A decently-sized Indian restaurant. I ordered the Aloo Ghobi and I asked to do it less spicy, which they accommodated. The food was really good and reasonably priced.

Really important!: This place is vegetarian - not all vegan! Make sure to ask whether items are vegan before ordering if you are vegan. I didn't realize this until this morning when I looked on the website. Yikes!!

Pros: Good food, Inexpensive , Good location

Nothing special, slow service - Edit

I came here with my boyfriend during our one-week trip to London. We thought the food was good, but nothing special. We do frequently visit Indian restaurants at home (Gothenburg, Sweden) but we found the menu at Sagar a bit confusing. They did have a vegan menu which was a plus, however we didn't understand that you had to order the rice on the side, for example. The staff wasn't very helpful in explaining how to order either.

The staff wasn't very welcoming or service-minded. The food came out slowly, even though there were only 5 tables to be served. One table even left after not having received their order after 40 minutes.

There was nothing wrong with the food, but I think we would have had a better experience if the staff was a bit more service-minded and helpful with the ordering. I might be willing to give it another chance and order the thali, so I can try a "proper" dish without having to try to compose it myself.

Pros: Well prepared food, vegan menu , lot's of choices

Cons: Slow service, unwelcoming staff

Sagar - Edit

Everything was delicious. The portions looked a bit small but in the end we could barely finish the whole plate. Staff was very friendly and helpful and also the service was really fast.

Pros: Friendly staff, fast service, Excellent food, Good price

Nice visit! - Edit

Sagar has a separate vegan menu available, which makes visiting this restaurant as a vegan totally comfortable and easy. Service was very friendly and I also liked the light, wooden interior.
I chose the Rava Masala Dhosa which was a large meal and very nice, although for my taste it could have been more spicy!
I paid about £6 for my dhosa - I think that's a very good price considering the location.
I will definitely visit here again when I go back to London!

Pros: Good location, Friendly service, Separate vegan menu

Cons: Could be more spicy

Vegan Menu, Thali and Dosa - Edit

Ask for the vegan menu. Fab to have a whole Thali option without asking for things to be left out. Tried some starters we had never heard of which came with lovely sauces. Dosa was great too. Everything had good flavour though we would have liked some spicy options as well. Decor and atmosphere is good, laid back but modern, nice mix of clientelle.

Pros: vegan menu, thali option

Cons: spicy options would be nice too.

A pleasant evening - Edit

Tonight I had dinner at this small and quiet restaurant close to Covent Garden. The staff was extremely friendly, and I paid around 15 pounds for a starter (two big samosas), a main dish (a kind of chapatti with potatoes and peas with a couple of different sauces), and a (mango) lassi.
The service was quick, the food was good and tasty, the toilets were clean... I have nothing negative to say about this restaurant! :--)
Updated from previous review on Friday April 26, 2013

Pros: Good & good-value food, Quick and friendly service, Central location

Very Tasty - Edit

An intimate and relaxed restaurant with friendly and knowledgeable staff. I went on my own as I am away for work, but was made to feel welcome and did not feel uncomfortable at all.

The food was absolutely delicious and good value for money. I had the chana masala, rice and papadams.

The vegan menu on offer boasted a exciting range of new foods including pancakes, pizza as well as some interesting curries. I could not decide so was offered recommendations by one of the waiters.

Pros: Delicious , Friendly, Affordable

Cheap and delicious food! - Edit

I visited Sagar with a group of 8 friends for my birthday. It was very easy to book on the phone. Not all of my friends are vegetarian or vegan so I was slightly apprehensive about bringing them to a fully veggie restaurant. Everyone enjoyed their food very much!

Sagar have a separate vegan menu so be sure to ask for it!
I had the samosas to start which were enormous (there were 2) then the sambar with boiled rice and the mango sorbet to finish. Lots of my friends had dosas which were ENORMOUS. I was very pleased with my food!

The prices are very reasonable, my food came to around £16 with a drink, extremely good value for the centre of London. Service was a little slow at first but they were very attentive, I can understand having a large group of people to cater to is intimidating, especially when the restaurant was quite full.

Pros: Cheap, Delicious, Separate Vegan menu

Cons: Slowish service , Only one Vegan dessert

Good food, excellent value. - Edit

Indian food is rarely one of my first choices when it comes to eating out, however Sagar is very much an exception. Excellent staff, a vegan and gluten free menu available on request and wines labeled as veggie or vegan. The food I had was lovely and the price very reasonable for anywhere but amazing for central London. Very much looking forward to going back.

Pros: Excellent Staff, Good Food, Great Value

Cons: None spring to mind

Tasty Indian food at affordable prices - Edit

For this location Sagar offers very tasty food at quite affordable prices. We didn't know there was a special lunch menu at 5,95€ (!) and thus ordered something from the menu which cost more but was also delicious and better than what you get at many omnivorous Indian places. The staff were also very friendly even though we were there at lunch time rush hour and had a toddler with us.

Pros: Delicious food, Freshly squeezed orange juice, Friendly staff

Cons: vegan food not clearly marked

Great food, Great service - Edit

South indian vegetarian restaurant next to covent garden. They had an all-vegan menu on request. Food was very tasty and medium priced. Service very good and welcoming, I tried to order dishes which didn't match well together and the waiter told me straight away even though what he proposed cost less. My omnivorous friends loved the food as well !

Pros: Vegan menu, great food, great service

YUM! - Edit

My husband and I were really hungry and stumbled upon Sagar Covent Garden, by pure chance, with a little help of our Happy Cow phone app. We were given the Vegan menu, which really spoilt us for choice. Interiors are very tidy, waiters very attentive and help you decide what to eat. Not realising that we would be served pappadoms to start with, we ordered a starter of Potato Bonda followed by two vegan Thalis, served with rice and pooris. For drinks we had fresh lemonade. It was all too much but we finished it anyway as everything was delicious, very tasty, lots of different spices and flavours. It was certainly one of the best meals we've had out in London, for a long time! Also it was encouranging to see lots of Asian families, which is usually a good sign. We ate a lot, drank a lot, but were fully satisfied and paid about £40.00 which for this part of the world isn't bad at all. Will be back asap with friends too!

Pros: Very Nice Vegan menu all yummy!, Attentive service, Not too expensive

Cons: There isn't a Sagar closer to us

Lovely food in a handy location - Edit

The service was friendly, the waiter brought me out the special vegan menu and told me when I had order too much food!
The food was lovely although the portions were too large for me so I did have to leave some. The vegan thali was lovely, but definitely a man sized portion!
The cost was reasonable, especially she y ou consider the location.
I will return!

Pros: Service, Price, Taste

Quality without fuss - Edit

This is a quality veg Indian place. The food is tasty (we had some
bhel puri, a masala dosa, and the mixed uthappam). It's simple and
plainly done. It's not too expensive. The food is substantial
without being excessive.

One star off because I would have liked to see more VSinteresting thali
options.

After several medicore experiences at well-known Drummond Street
restaurants, I have no intent of returning there. Places like Sagar
are a huge step up from them.

Pros: good basic food, filling, not too expensive

Vegan Indian items are hard to find elsewhere! - Edit

It's nice to have a Vegan thali.
My gripe though is that the vegan thali is not covered by the theatre deal, so the vegan option ends up as ~£15 instead of ~£6 for the veggie one. Considering you get almost exactly the same, with some subtractions, some additions, it feels a bit unfair.

Pros: Quite good quality Indian food, Good location, Not expensive

Cons: Veggie/Vegan disparity

very good - Edit

Those buddies have a special vegan menù full of nice stuff. We ordered loads of stuff and the waiter told us friendly to stop as it was too much lo eat for a couple which was something professional we really appreciate. Food was delicious indeed. Nice place very near Covent Garden!

Pros: very friendly staff, in the center, unexpensive

Great veggie option in the heart of Covent Garden - Edit

Really good south Indian vegetarian food, and great value for money. Ask for the vegan menu, if appropriate. They even know which of their wines are vegan!

Return to London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sagar - Covent Garden closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 10076 times since May 2011.