Root Down - 33rd Ave

Contact 303-993-4200

1600 W 33rd Ave, Denver, Colorado, USA, 80211

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers an all-raw 3 course dinner on the first Tuesday of month, brunch on weekends. Uses reverse osmosis water in cooking, drinking, ice, and sodas; rice bran oil for flash frying. All cardboard, glass, plastic and cooking oil is recycled. Approximately 70% of Root Down was built and finished with reclaimed, reused and recycled materials. 100% wind powered. Also has a location in Denver International Airport in the C Concourse near gate 41 (smaller menu). Open Mon-Thu 5:00pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-2:30pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by poundcake652

Cool atmosphere with vegan options - Edit

Root Down is NOT a vegan restaurant, but they have a variety of vegan options to choose from. We were recommended this place by multiple locals and were impressed by the reviews on Yelp so we decided to come here for a Friday "date night." They are located in the historic Highland neighborhood on the corner of 33rd and Osage. The restaurant is a little more expensive, dressy, and hip so a good spot for a Friday or Saturday night.

We started off with the Zucchini and Roasted Poblano Soup. The soup was delicious with all kinds of flavors and textures.

I got the Veggie Burger Sliders (with jalapeno jam and sweet potato fries) as my entree. This came with two sliders and a fairly large serving of fries. The burgers didn't really have much on them, but I really enjoyed the jalapeno jam and the patty was quite tasty. So tasty that I got a full sized burger at the airport location again before we flew back to Sacramento.

Pros: Hip, Multiple vegan options, Tasty cocktails

Cons: Expensive

Wow - Edit

I came here with my boyfriend last November and the Squash Risotto was the best thing I've ever eaten!
It was crowded when we got there, but the host was fantastic and offered we sit at the bar, and it ended up being awesome! We were sat at the end of the bar, and we felt like we had our own exclusive little table. Our bartender was super nice, and helped us out the entire time.
It's a beautiful restaurant and we had such a great time, I felt inclined to make a review an entire year later.

Great for veg*ns and omnivores alike - Edit

This place is awesome. We arrived well before our reservation and hung out at the bar while waiting, nibbling on some chickpea fries and white bean dip with veggie chips off the bar menu. Both were delicious.

For dinner, we just ordered two main courses as we were already half full from previous munching. Had we had more room, we would've definitely tried out some of the interesting sounding small plates too. I got the country fried tofu, while my partner got a meat dish. I was most impressed with the execution of the tofu. The coating was perfectly crispy and adhered beautifully to the tofu, which had a pleasantly dry, dense and firm texture. The big pile of veggies that the tofu cutlets sat on were very good as well. My partner also loved his dish, which I'm not going to elaborate on here for obvious reasons. We rounded out our meal with the poached apples at the high recommendation of our server. The flavors were spot on, but the apples were still a bit too firm to the bite as if they weren't poached enough. We would've liked them to be softer.

Décor is hip and funky with a cool, trendy vibe. Service was casual but warm and friendly. The manager (?) even came over twice—once mid-meal to check on us and once more before we left wishing us a good evening. Prices are on the high side, but it's worth it.

Pros: tasty food, good vegan options

Cons: price

Tasty vegan options - Edit

Though we prefer to eat at 100% vegan (or at least lacto-veg) restaurants, there are times (i.e. when dining with carnivores who can't be persuaded to try a veg*n place) that one needs a relatively healthy and vegan-friendly alternative. Root Down meets that need quite well, making it one of the most recommendable non-veg*n restaurants in the Denver area.

They offer a number of vegan options, and other dishes can be veganized on request. They use organic, local, and fresh ingredients "as much as possible," and they offer some gluten-free options.

We are particularly impressed with Root Down's efforts toward ecological sensitivity. The place was built with a significant amount of reclaimed material, and the bathrooms have "smart sinks" that use the water from your handwashing to refill the toilet cisterns (see photo).

Set as it is in a renovated auto shop, the atmosphere is funky, eclectic, and interesting. Service is informal yet friendly.

Parking can be hard to find, but thankfully they offer free valet parking.

Pros: Vegan-friendly & eco-friendly, uses some local and organic ingredients, free valet parking

Cons: Limited vegan options, serves meat

best meal I've had in a while - Edit

The atmosphere is great and the food was amazing. The waitstaff is also excellent. I had the falafel appetizer with chili oil, the kale salad and the country fried tofu and it was all just out of this world.

1st Tuesdays - Raw Night! - Edit

I'm a big fan of the food at Root Down in general, but the Four-Course Raw Food is AMAZING. We try to make it every month for the 1st Tuesday Raw Night, and we seriously experience a food orgasm every time! Try it - you'll be happy, healthy, full, and very, very satisfied!

Make a reservation - at least a few weeks in advance.

Pros: Healthy, Raw, Vegan!, Creative, Beautiful Plates, Absolutely Delicious

Cons: Pricey, Must make a reservation

Well worth a trip - Edit

Great urban vibe here. Cool place and decor. Plenty of food for vegetarians, although it's mostly too salty for me. Tasty but salty. However, a really interesting menu and well worth a trip. Breakfast and/or brunch especially.

Pros: Great decor and layout, Nice staff, Informal atmosphere

Cons: High sodium, Parking is tight, Noisy (but not roudy)

Fun atmosphere and good food - Edit

I am so happy I made a reservation for dinner. The place was hopping when I got there and stayed busy the entire time I was there. I was really happy with everything I ordered. I skipped lunch that day so I ordered a salad, an entree and dessert. The service was great and our waitress was more than happy to answer questions. I would definitely come here again. On another night I tried another restaurant owned by the same group called Linger, which I will submit as another place in Denver where vegans can go for great food.

Pros: Happening scene., Great food., Nice waitstaff.

Cons: Always crowded - make a reservation!

We love Root Down - Edit

Mike and I have been several times now, including on one of their monthly raw nights, and have loved every meal we have had. It is so nice to enjoy a delish vegan meal that includes totally friendly service. We have eaten at the bar and in the restaurant and gotten greats ervice at both places. This is a great place to celebrate or have a fun date night. We totally recommend it!

Vegan options for brunch - Edit

I went with a group of omnis for brunch and was a little worried when I could only find three vegan options on the menu. I ordered the breakfast burrito and needn't have worried. It was delicious!

The place is a little pricey, but has a great atmosphere and the food is very meticulously made. The sauces are complex and yummy!

Overall, a good place to take omnis and get a satisfying meal yourself.

Pros: Delicious, Vegan options clearly marked

Cons: Bit expensive, Limited options

Best waitress ever! - Edit

This place is a little on the expensive side, and can have a LONG wait, but all of that is worth it. Anything you choose from the menu has (vegan or vegetarian) is bursting with flavor, and you can be sure that it's all very healthy. Oh, and be sure to save room for desert... or just have desert. AWESOME DESERT!

Our waitress was the most knowledgeable and lovely person, as I'm sure all of their wait staff are.

This place exceeded any expectation I would have had for a Highlands restaurant.

Pros: Healthy, wonderfulfood, Knowledgeable, lovely wait staff

Cons: Expensive, Long wait for a table at times

Fun, innovative, delicious and fresh - Edit

My husband and I were traveling in Denver, he on business and me as a tag-along. While he was at the office, I hit up Happy Cow to find a place for dinner and found Root Down.

What a delight this place was. First thing we noticed was how busy it was on a week night. We had a short wait and then we were seated outside on the front patio. We had a beautiful view overlooking the whole of downtown Denver.

We shared both the gazpacho and the sweet potato falafel for appetizers. The gazpacho was fresh and slightly spicy, but when you dug into the bottom of the bowl and got the fresh relish that was sitting on the bottom, it sweetened and brightened up the entire dish. The sweet potato falafel was a great twist on the ubiquitous Mediterranean dish. I think the lemon-tahini sauce really hit some fresh and sour notes which kept the dish from becoming too heavy. For my main course, I had the veggie burger sliders. These were also so good. It's nice to have a fresh-made veggie burger that doesn't crumble with the first bite. The tomato jam was a great compliment to the burger. The sweet potato fries, while good, have become standard even at the greasiest of spoons. I would have liked to see something done to elevate them...a sprinkling of chili powder, a dusting of crushed rosemary, something to make it feel as if they weren't just plate filler.

All in all, it was a wonderful night. We enjoyed our meal tremendously...and my husband has even made it a place to take his coworkers when he returned to Denver.

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Inventive preparation, Delicious and good value

Love the chef and the vegan options - Edit

Root Down is great. In our neighborhood and all about quality ingredients and unique recipes. Lots of vegan options. The risotto snd beet salad are amazing, sweet potato falafel and veg sliders are also good options. Their brunch is also divine and they have a raw food night on Tuesdays. Also great happy hour and lots of amazing and delicious drinks to satisfy. Make reservations in advance!

Pros: Quality, Atmosphere, Recipes

Cons: Lots of meat options

Kewl Eats - Edit

Finally, a place that understands that it is about quality, not quantity! Delicious veg and meat European style food. (It is all about the sauce.) Love the decor and the service.

Make sure to _ask_ for bread with your meal. This will complete the European experience. ;-)

Pros: excellent food, Friendly helpful service, Interesting patrons

Cons: Parking is street only, A _little_ noisy, (bar) but acceptable

Excellent dining experience! - Edit

While Root Down is not 100% veg, they make a huge effort to have plenty of veg options. And the vegan options are clearly marked. I have been to Root Down twice. The first time was for brunch, where I ordered the Veggie Burger Sliders. They are probably the best veggie burger I've ever had (and that includes my own!). The sliders are served with sweet potato fries and Root Down does those right too! My most recent visit was for dinner and I had the risotto with brussels sprouts, butternut squash and red quinoa. Again, it was delicious! It was on the small plates menu, so I felt like I had to order a side of sweet potato fries so I would not be hungry! There was even a vegan dessert on the menu, which I didn't order because I was too full. But it sounded delicious. Please give Root Down your support. The service is awesome and the ambiance is very cool. The restaurant used to be an old gas filling station. Good weather months are even better so you can sit outside on the patio. At brunch, they offer bottomless mimosas and screwdrivers. MMMMMM.

Pros: Multiple food choices, Excellent food quality, Excellent service & ambiance

Cons: Don't serve lunch

Return to Denver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Root Down - 33rd Ave closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4470 times since Dec 2010.