Ria's Bluebird

Contact 404-521-3737

421 Memorial Dr, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, 30312

Serves meat, vegan options available. Long time operating breakfast and brunch place. Has a veggie American breakfast that consists of white gravy with biscuits, soysausage patties, tempeh on biscuits with veggie gravy, and spinach. Also has tofu scramble, country fried tempeh, and tempeh reuben. Indoor as well covered patio seating. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Lettuce Muncher

Not the best for vegan brunch - Edit

Options are limited for Atlanta, and honestly, there's nothing special offered here. Eh. Other reviewers already mentioned the offerings, so I don't need to.

Pros: Vegan options

Cons: Super busy at brunch, Limited options, Parking

A Regular's Perspective - Edit

Let me preface this by saying I've loved Ria's since before I became vegan and I know the wait is around 45 minutes on average and that parking is atrocious. The wait and parking are basically fine if you go around lunch on weekdays--it's the weekend rush that's long. I find it peaceful and relaxing to enjoy sitting with a cup of coffee or water chatting with a friend, admiring the view of the historic Oakland Cemetery on a day when the weather is nice, so for me the wait is just a nice part of the experience.

That said, it's still my favorite place in Atlanta. The menu rotates, but the current vegan options are:
- Veganize the bluebird burrito, comes with a side such as most of their sides including the soups occasionally.
- The amazing tofu frittata which is admittedly not the most massive in portions.
- The bionic breakfast (sort of a breakfast potato scramble).
- Early bird special with spicy tofu cubes (I love their tofu cubes but this is probably not the delivery mechanism I would choose?)
- Tofu banh mi.
- Possibly the tempeh reuben (if it's veganized)? I haven't been interested enough to find out honestly.
- You can veganize the entree salads by removing the cheese but I don't think the experience is worth it.
** The soysage is Morning Star and therefore not vegan. I was told they're working on a vegan soysage recipe.

So in short, they have a couple of very nice savory vegan options, and several more vegetarian options (such as the pancakes and the soups and salads), but if you are a vegan with a sweet tooth you will probably want to go somewhere else (maybe pick up Revolution Doughnuts in Decatur).

Pros: several vegan options, excellent coffee, excellent food

Cons: long wait on weekends, no vegan sweets

nope. - Edit

We tried for Sunday brunch. The wait was over an hour, everyone there waiting was incredibly rude and pushy, and there is hardly anything vegan. We opted to walk three blocks down the street to Stone Soup Kitchen and it was AMAZING. we got right in and enjoyed some vegan blueberry pancakes with great service. Take note!

Cons: long wait, no parking, limited vegan options

Better Brunches Elsewhere - Edit

My friend and I loved the vibe at Ria's Bluebird, and the staff were very welcoming and friendly. He only got coffee, and he said that the coffee was excellent. I, however, am vegan, and I was not particularly impressed with the selections I was offered after asking the waitress what she recommended for vegans. The food was good, but there are some amazing places to have brunch in Atlanta, and I would recommend Soul Vegetarian or Cafe Sunflower instead.

Pros: Nice Ambiance, Friendly Staff, Good Coffee

Cons: Few Vegan Selections, Very Long Wait Time (1hr. or more), Little Parking

YUMMY VEGAN OPTIONS! - Edit

Flew in to Atlanta starving, thanks to Happy Cow I found Bluebird, a kitschy hip diner with an eclectic customer base. The waiters and waitresses, all tatted up and kind, offered me any seat available in the house, unlimited coffee with soy milk. I went for the tofu scramble (which wasn't really a scramble by definition but delicious). Many vegan and vegetarian options at this cool little place.

Pros: veggie options, vegan options, autonomously perfect

Good luck - Edit

I've been here once and was not impressed. Parking was a nightmare, the wait list was excruciating, the food was so-so... we sat in their outdoor section, which looked cute but wasn't very comfortable... plus rain was leaking in all over the place, everything was wet. Our waiter was kind of a doosh.

Pros: Cute

Cons: average food, insufficient parking, long wait

Good Breakfast - Edit

The tofu scramble and sweet potatoe patty were both very good. The staff was very friendly and the portion size was good. I am glad they decided to add a vegan item to the menu, but I think the scramble is all I would eat. Will gladly return for it next time.

Pros: vegan option, friendly staff, good portion

Cons: little far from downtown, limited choices

uninspired and unflexible - Edit

no flexibility to a menu that is uninspired...the waitstaff has been quite rude about even asking for a sauce on the side and explained the chef is quite particular...I am consistently baffled by the crowds that flock here...

Pros: location

Cons: unflexible, not creative, rude service fueled by rude chef

good vegan options for a non-veg place - Edit

Breakfast here was really good. There were a few vegan options, I had the tofu scramble, which wasn't like your usual tofu scramble as it came on a bed of black beans, but tasted great. I ordered a side of avocado slices and my friend had a side of soy-sauge, which he thought was the best quality for imitation sausage. Long wait for a table, though.

Pros: 2-3 vegan options, tasty, creative

Cons: long wait, no substitutions, awkward tables

Ria's is good - Edit

Bionic breakfast is totally vegan and DELISH.
Also, the tempeh reuben on the lunch menu rocks.
I wish they had toast though...and I agree that it would be cool if they would make some of their fantastic sounding specials vegan.

Butter everything!!! - Edit

After searching for 20 minutes to find this place, I discovered they had one vegan option: fruit. The biscuits were buttermilk, the pancakes were buttermilk. They had no soy sausage patties, no tempeh. The gravy was vegetarian but not vegan. The non-vegans thought the food was good. I was still hungry!!!

Return to Atlanta Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ria's Bluebird closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2840 times since Aug 2007.