Restaurante Amaltea

• Veg-friendly
Contact +34-957491968

Calle Ronda de Isasa 10 (at near Puente Romano), Cordoba, Spain, 14003

Serves meat, vegan options available. Modern decor. Has macrobiotic and organic food that's veg-friendly but not the main focus. Non smoking.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Beer/Wine, Spanish, Andalucian, Non-veg

First Review by Mitch Cohen

Great!!!!! - Edit

They have vegetarian dishes, i had the eggplant and cumin salad and it was epic! Great flavors. I also had the cous cous with tomatoes and vegetables and it was incredible. Saturday its a busy night so it's better to make reservations, its so worth it!

Good for a veg-friendly - Edit

I had dinner at Amaltea with my girlfriend last Friday. There is a special menu for vegetarians/vegans, and it's a full menu with a lot of options.

We shared the hummus and it was delicious, then we got a main dish each and both were good. The wine selection is also impressive.

I think that you don't get much better than this as a vegetarian-friendly restaurant. Actually, before going there we had a look at the menu of La Boca and found that there were only a few dishes that were vegetarian or could be made vegetarian, that is why we decided for the Amaltea.

Pros: A full menu for veggies, Great location

Cons: A bit more pricey than the average

disappointing - Edit

I really wanted to like this restaurant and was excited to eat here. However, I thought it was very disappointing.
The place itself is very close to Puenta Romana and Mezquita, and has a fun, colourful interior. They offer both omni and veggie/vegan options, so nice to eat here if you are in mixed company.
I ordered the starter with hummus, and was later informed it was not available. I then chose the tabouleh, which was wet and sloppy. Service was a bit chaotic and prices were quite high. I was not impressed.

Pros: location

Cons: service, prices, disappointing food

Nice setting with inventive food - Edit

Having read the TripAdvisor reviews we had psyched ourselves up for this restaurant before coming – a dangerous thing to do! We were suitably impressed by the setting – nice location opposite the river, lots of beautiful flowers inside and outside the restaurant, a nice ambience. Though one of us spoke Spanish, we chose to have menus in English to ensure we knew what we were getting, though this didn't work out very well as the waitress herself didn't speak English and got one of our starters wrong when our pointing was misunderstood. Her understanding of vegan vs vegetarian seemed a little shaky too. The food itself seemed to be of a high quality, and the dishes were creative. However, we couldn't help but feel that it was trying a little too hard to be different and that the menu should have been more detailed – for example, one of us ordered cod with potatoes and avocado, and when it came the fish appeared to be have been pickled, though there was no mention of that on the English menu. Vegan dessert options were very limited, but our non-vegan had a delicious chocolate brownie with ice cream. This place is definitely worth a visit if you enjoy veggie and/or healthy food, but you are probably best off if you speak very fluent Spanish and can find out exactly what comes in each dish before ordering.

Pros: Creative cooking, Good quality ingredients, Beautiful restaurant

Cons: Menus not detailed enough, Vegan vs veggie confusion, Slow service

good location, great food - Edit

the restaurant is easy to find. we liked the atmosphere. Good staff. High quality food. For vegans & vegetarians it is the number one place to go to in Cordoba, if you can afford it. We went there in early April 2015.

Pros: vegan option

Cons: expensive

What a wonderful place! - Edit

This restaurant had a separate vegetarian menu- so we knew what we could eat. The food was delicious. the staff was attentive. We really enjoyed our time and the food. It is located close to the mosque/cathedral and right on the river.
Great location

Pros: Great food, Helpful staff, Vegetarian menu listed separately

INTERESTING FOOD - Edit

I had a good meal here. There is a separate vegetarian menu - in Spanish and English. Many of the dishes were pretty standard. But I had a cheese mousse starter, a main dish of broccoli with cheese sauce and a frozen turron (nougat) dessert. All good. €25 with water. Friendly service. Would have gone back if there had been more time.

Wonderfully culinary restaurant! - Edit

When looking at HappyCow, I thought we might have a hard time finding vegetarian food in Cordoba. However, we found this place, and this place is awesome!
The atmosphere is in fact quite wonderful! It is somewhat modern, which makes it feel a bit fancy, but at the same time felt homey, with cookbooks on the shelf and lovely decoration.
They had several vegetarian options, which is already quite something for a lot of restaurants in Cordoba. I had a wonderful salad, and potatoes with blue cheese mousse. Both were incredibly delicious! The other options looked good too, though.
Okay, in comparison with other restaurants in Spain it might be slightly pricey, but still, 10 euros for a main course and 3 euros for a glass of very good wine is not too bad!
The one lady who did the service did not speak English, but is very friendly. With some Spanish words and some gestures we came a long way.
If you go to Cordoba, you should definitely go here. Check it out at least, it's very close to the Mezquita anyway!

Pros: Culinary, Delicious, Friendly

Cons: No or little English, Slightly more pricey for Spain

Limited but good vegan food in elegant atmosphere - Edit

The restaurant was beautiful and elegant, but somehow a bit cold for our tastes, and we were the only guests for a Tuesday lunch. We found very limited vegan options, and one of the dishes we ordered turned out not to be available. The waitress said since the kitchen is closed Monday, they just start cooking Tuesday and don't have everything available. She wasn't knowledgeable about animal rennet in cheese. The dishes we got, a salad and cous cous, the only dishes availble, I think, were delicious.

Pros: quiet elegant atmosphere, good food

Cons: limited vegan choices

Not the best place - Edit

Quiet restaurant near river. Very limited vegan choices, the waitress wasn't quite sure what menu items were vegan. We ordered all three items which were couscous, tabulea and something else, but they were very similar in style. We thought it was a little overpriced for what it's worth. The waitress spoke English.

Pros: Quiet

Cons: No good vegan selection, Pricey

Wonderful food and atmosphere! - Edit

This was one of the best restaurants we ate at in our three months in Spain. So good, in fact, that we ate here twice in our one day in Cordoba (not many other vegetarian/vegan options in Cordoba, at least according to Happy Cow). The decor and atmosphere is very nice, reminiscent of a nice California restaurant. For lunch (restaurant open 1:30-4:30), we shared the aubergine (eggplant) salad and the vegetable lasagna, both quite good (although the serving size of the lasagna seemed small). Still hungry, we had "almond biscuit" for dessert, which turned out to be a frozen version of an almond fudge-like confection that is a local specialty, especially at Christmastime. It was delicious, although it almost certainly contained a lot of eggs and cream.

We went back for dinner (restaurant reopens at 9 PM), and had the tabouli salad with roasted red peppers (more peppers and other vegetables than cous cous, really delicious) and the rocket pesto pasta with artichoke hearts. My wife and I shared the two dishes (as we did for lunch), and that was enough for us. The restaurant has a large selection of local wines. Highly recommended! Thank you, Happy Cow, for pointing us in the right direction once again!

Pros: Non-smoking, Great food, Nice decor

Cons: No outdoor seating

Amaltea - a little veggie paradise! - Edit

Amaltea was a lovely restaurant, fabulous atmosphere, lovely waitress who helped us choose our wine (from their amazing list of organic wine) and above all great veggie food. My lasagne was full of tasty veg, beautifully presented and just what I needed after a few days of trying to find veggie food in Spain! The inventive menu is good for non-veggies too - interesting combinations (pumpkin and black pudding risotto) and food with a faintly moorish twist as you might expect from that area of Spain. It's right on the river bank, so very easy to find. Highly recommended to all happy cow-ers out there!

Limited but good vegan food - Edit

Limited vegan choices. Simple, nice vegan lasagna & tabouli.
I walked to the restaurant while my wife rested after a long trip. Unfortunately, Amaltea would close for lunch soon, and not be open for Sunday dinner! The staff found containers for take-out, and we very grateful.

Pros: very friendly & helpful

Cons: closed sunday night

Return to Cordoba Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Restaurante Amaltea closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3309 times since Jul 2008.