CLOSED: Gare du Nord

Contact 0102657236

Anthoniestraat 2, Rotterdam, Netherlands, 3032CP

Vegan organic restaurant committed to a sustainability, since 2014. Food is prepared with seasonal and local ingredients including some from garden or share gardens and the garden in front of restaurant. Cuisine is inspired by many of the world's kitchens and with an 'aire Parisienne.' Confirmed closed Feb 2017.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Raw, Western, European

First Review by czrbenz

Outstanding! - Edit

Flavorful, yet simple whole food ingredients. By far one of the best vegan meals I have ever had. Location is out of the way, but definitely worth it! It will not disappoint!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Great value

Cons: Location

Train gone green - Edit

Vegan food served inside of a train wagoon in the middle of a suburb? Yes please!

The menu is quite short, but everything I ordered was decent and elegant. A hazelnut veggie burger, a quinoa salad with oranges, elderflower drink... I will definitively repeat while back to Rotterdam.

The main downside is that they DO NOT ACCEPT CASH. I was told it was because of the "dangerous neighbourhood"...

Pros: food

Cons: prices, does not accept cash

Good vegan place, but 1 menu per day and quite pricey - Edit

Gare du Nord is a great place for a vegan dinner. The setting - an old train wagon - is really unique. The food is generally good, but since they have only 1 menu per day, you sometimes get something you really don't like. Besides that, for 2 persons it's around 75 euro, which makes it more expensive than usual. But overall the food is good, hence the four stars.

Pros: Location / setting, Good dishes

Cons: Expensive

Amazing vegan restaurant - Edit

If you want to experience great vegan food, Gare Du Nord is the place to go. I have been here on two occasions, once for a Sunday lunch and another time for a birthday dinner.

At lunch the vibes are casual and cosy. They have a small menu of different burgers, pastas, salads, fajitas, desserts etc. and all of them are amazing. You can blindly pick anything and it will definitely be amazing. Prices at lunch are also very reasonable.

Dinner was a set menu of aperitifs, starter, main course and desert. All four were amazing, although I found it too be a little overpriced for a set menu with no choice.

Nonetheless the food is always amazing - the kind of dishes that make you question whether they are actually even vegan because they are so delicious!

If you're looking for a great place to eat in Rotterdam, this is the place to go.

Pros: Fabulous food, Great service, Unique location

Cons: Dinner can be pricey

Delicious in Rotterdam! - Edit

My husband and I paid a visit to this gem whilst in Rotterdam... A+! Try their hazelnut burger, absolutely amazing. Outdoor seating available. Hours of operation were also very convenient for us night owls. Thank you, we will be back!

Amazing atmosphere and food - Edit

This is what you want when you go out for diner! You want original, tasty food and a great experience.

The location, a train, is helping a lot of course, but the food itself was simply delicious and surprising! Also, not very expensive: if you're in the neighbourhood, visiting Gare Du Nord is a must!

Pros: The Food, Not expensive, The Location

LOVE LOVE LOVE - Edit

First of all, the restaurant is set in an old train waggon, so that's the first thing you're going to smile about. Then you are welcomed by the friendly staff members and on your reserved table stands a sign with your name on it. Makes you feel important ;-) Then you're told what the menu for today is (unless you've read it first). When you get your food, it looks really great - so you really need to take a bite. The flavours are mindblowingly good. With every bite, a bomb of flavours explode in your mouth. I'm not exaggerating when I say this is by far the best vegan restaurant I've ever eaten. This is not something I can easlily cook up myself.

Sure as hell am going back here to taste a new menu.

Pros: Set in an old train waggon, Mindblowingly good food/ high cuisine, Worth more than it costs

Seitan Train Ride - Edit

This was my first visit to a vegan restaurant since I went completely vegan at the beginning of 2016. I actually was kind of exciting. What would I get?

The looks of the restaurant from the outside is amazing. On a completely empty parking space stands a train, or at least a part of it. Looks very cosy.

When we entered it felt a bit strange at first, but when you get your first dish, it all seems normal. It was cauliflower soup. Great taste! After that our main dish, some mashed potatoes with seitan en veggies. The seitan was also a first time for me. It actually tastes pretty good! They used several good spices for two added sauces on the plate. For me, I would like me to have one spoon more of those sauces!

The dessert wasn't my cup of tea. We had apple pie. But I don't even like a NON-vegan apple pie, so also this vegan apple pie wasn't really my thing. That's also one thing you got to keep in mind. The menu changes every week, but you can NOT choose. Of course, when you have allergies, they will find something else for you to eat. That's no problem.

Would definitely go back here. Good food!

Pros: Tasty

Cons: You can't choose from a menu

Cool location, but food could be better - Edit

Everything here is vegan and organic. Even though I went here several times, I still didn't manage to find any really tasty dish. It's not bad, but not amazing either. I still love the location and the fact that everything is vegan and organic, as there are not a lot of other places like this in Rotterdam. I also think it was great that they hosted the first vegan Christmas market in The Netherlands.

Pros: 100% vegan, 100% organic, Cool location

Cons: Average food, No fresh juices, No cash accepted

love this place! - Edit

It is good food! When there is a sun, it is really nice to sit outside. The food is amazing and prices are really ok.
In summer the staff is allso outside and to hear one moan isn't that appetiting....
Bit one bite of the delicious food and you forget all that...including your table-partner....

Amazing food at a very cute place - Edit

This place was amazing. The food was fantastic and the service was very good.
We were able to enjoy an autumn Sunday in the sun on the seats outside :) Perfect!
We had the burger, the hazelnut burger, and the quinnoa salad. There wasn't a scrap left on our plates. I Highly recommend this place for vegans & vegetarians but I am pretty sure that even meat eaters will be impressed by the variety of alternatives.

Pros: Great food, Uniquely set up, Enjoyable

Even carnivores love it! - Edit

Took some carnivore family here, and they just loved it! So good place to take people to show vegan can be just as good as anything else. Staff is really friendly.

Pros: location!, all vegan, staff

Cons: slow sometimes

Great vegan food in excellent setting - Edit

Great organic vegan restaurant located in an old East-German railway coach, also offering plenty of seating outdoors. It was a rainy evening so we enjoyed the unique atmosphere (nifty smell!) inside. Gare du Nord offers a set three course dinner (soup, main dish, desert). The menu changes daily and uses local products as much as possible. They even grow some of them in front of the restaurant. I had all 3 courses; all tasted just great. I would have prefered less rice and more vegetables with the main dish though. The portion sizes were more than generous, my partner was feeling so full she skipped the desert. Extra respect for the very friendly ginger haired waiter: he was very helpful and super nice. Gare du Nord was a great surprise for us, definitely hope to be back some day!

Pros: Tastyvegan food, Very friendly service, Great setting

Favorite vegan place in Rotterdam - Edit

Based in an upcoming neighboorhood in Rotterdam Noord (Zomerhofkwartier). In an old train, surrounded by a lovely garden were the grow herbs, fruits and vegetables.
I have eaten here many times, and sometimes the food is very very good, somethings its mwa, but the ambiance, the kind people and the fact its all vegan, makes it always a good experience!

GOOD!!!! - Edit

I showed up before they opened and got a chance to talk with staff about anything and everything. Friendly folks indeed: when I told the owner that I was staying and the dodgy hostel nearby (actually a fine establishment for what it cost), he even mentioned he had some spare room where I could crash! I politely declined, and who knows, maybe he was just joking... but he came across as genuinely pleasant.
Oh yeah the food.. I had quesadillas made by their Colombian chef Freddie, another nice fella who delivered awesomeness. 8 euros and worth every cent; for dinner they have a more expensive deal though.
Only minus is that they don't accept cash!

Return to Rotterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Gare du Nord closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.