Gare du Nord

Contact +31-102657236

Anthoniestraat 2, Rotterdam, Netherlands, 3032CP

Vegan organic restaurant committed to a sustainability, since Apr 2014. Food is prepared with seasonal ingredients; some fruits and vegetables have a 'food miles' rating of less than 0.005, coming froma shared garden or the garden in front of restaurant. Cuisine is inspired by many of the world's kitchens and with an 'aire Parisienne.' Open Tue-Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Raw, Western, European

First Review by czrbenz

Outstanding! - Edit

Flavorful, yet simple whole food ingredients. By far one of the best vegan meals I have ever had. Location is out of the way, but definitely worth it! It will not disappoint!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Great value

Cons: Location

Train gone green - Edit

Vegan food served inside of a train wagoon in the middle of a suburb? Yes please!

The menu is quite short, but everything I ordered was decent and elegant. A hazelnut veggie burger, a quinoa salad with oranges, elderflower drink... I will definitively repeat while back to Rotterdam.

The main downside is that they DO NOT ACCEPT CASH. I was told it was because of the "dangerous neighbourhood"...

Pros: food

Cons: prices, does not accept cash

Good vegan place, but 1 menu per day and quite pricey - Edit

Gare du Nord is a great place for a vegan dinner. The setting - an old train wagon - is really unique. The food is generally good, but since they have only 1 menu per day, you sometimes get something you really don't like. Besides that, for 2 persons it's around 75 euro, which makes it more expensive than usual. But overall the food is good, hence the four stars.

Pros: Location / setting, Good dishes

Cons: Expensive

Amazing vegan restaurant - Edit

If you want to experience great vegan food, Gare Du Nord is the place to go. I have been here on two occasions, once for a Sunday lunch and another time for a birthday dinner.

At lunch the vibes are casual and cosy. They have a small menu of different burgers, pastas, salads, fajitas, desserts etc. and all of them are amazing. You can blindly pick anything and it will definitely be amazing. Prices at lunch are also very reasonable.

Dinner was a set menu of aperitifs, starter, main course and desert. All four were amazing, although I found it too be a little overpriced for a set menu with no choice.

Nonetheless the food is always amazing - the kind of dishes that make you question whether they are actually even vegan because they are so delicious!

If you're looking for a great place to eat in Rotterdam, this is the place to go.

Pros: Fabulous food, Great service, Unique location

Cons: Dinner can be pricey

Delicious in Rotterdam! - Edit

My husband and I paid a visit to this gem whilst in Rotterdam... A+! Try their hazelnut burger, absolutely amazing. Outdoor seating available. Hours of operation were also very convenient for us night owls. Thank you, we will be back!

Amazing atmosphere and food - Edit

This is what you want when you go out for diner! You want original, tasty food and a great experience.

The location, a train, is helping a lot of course, but the food itself was simply delicious and surprising! Also, not very expensive: if you're in the neighbourhood, visiting Gare Du Nord is a must!

Pros: The Food, Not expensive, The Location

LOVE LOVE LOVE - Edit

First of all, the restaurant is set in an old train waggon, so that's the first thing you're going to smile about. Then you are welcomed by the friendly staff members and on your reserved table stands a sign with your name on it. Makes you feel important ;-) Then you're told what the menu for today is (unless you've read it first). When you get your food, it looks really great - so you really need to take a bite. The flavours are mindblowingly good. With every bite, a bomb of flavours explode in your mouth. I'm not exaggerating when I say this is by far the best vegan restaurant I've ever eaten. This is not something I can easlily cook up myself.

Sure as hell am going back here to taste a new menu.

Pros: Set in an old train waggon, Mindblowingly good food/ high cuisine, Worth more than it costs

Seitan Train Ride - Edit

This was my first visit to a vegan restaurant since I went completely vegan at the beginning of 2016. I actually was kind of exciting. What would I get?

The looks of the restaurant from the outside is amazing. On a completely empty parking space stands a train, or at least a part of it. Looks very cosy.

When we entered it felt a bit strange at first, but when you get your first dish, it all seems normal. It was cauliflower soup. Great taste! After that our main dish, some mashed potatoes with seitan en veggies. The seitan was also a first time for me. It actually tastes pretty good! They used several good spices for two added sauces on the plate. For me, I would like me to have one spoon more of those sauces!

The dessert wasn't my cup of tea. We had apple pie. But I don't even like a NON-vegan apple pie, so also this vegan apple pie wasn't really my thing. That's also one thing you got to keep in mind. The menu changes every week, but you can NOT choose. Of course, when you have allergies, they will find something else for you to eat. That's no problem.

Would definitely go back here. Good food!

Pros: Tasty

Cons: You can't choose from a menu

Cool location, but food could be better - Edit

Everything here is vegan and organic. Even though I went here several times, I still didn't manage to find any really tasty dish. It's not bad, but not amazing either. I still love the location and the fact that everything is vegan and organic, as there are not a lot of other places like this in Rotterdam. I also think it was great that they hosted the first vegan Christmas market in The Netherlands.

Pros: 100% vegan, 100% organic, Cool location

Cons: Average food, No fresh juices, No cash accepted

love this place! - Edit

It is good food! When there is a sun, it is really nice to sit outside. The food is amazing and prices are really ok.
In summer the staff is allso outside and to hear one moan isn't that appetiting....
Bit one bite of the delicious food and you forget all that...including your table-partner....

Amazing food at a very cute place - Edit

This place was amazing. The food was fantastic and the service was very good.
We were able to enjoy an autumn Sunday in the sun on the seats outside :) Perfect!
We had the burger, the hazelnut burger, and the quinnoa salad. There wasn't a scrap left on our plates. I Highly recommend this place for vegans & vegetarians but I am pretty sure that even meat eaters will be impressed by the variety of alternatives.

Pros: Great food, Uniquely set up, Enjoyable

Even carnivores love it! - Edit

Took some carnivore family here, and they just loved it! So good place to take people to show vegan can be just as good as anything else. Staff is really friendly.

Pros: location!, all vegan, staff

Cons: slow sometimes

Great vegan food in excellent setting - Edit

Great organic vegan restaurant located in an old East-German railway coach, also offering plenty of seating outdoors. It was a rainy evening so we enjoyed the unique atmosphere (nifty smell!) inside. Gare du Nord offers a set three course dinner (soup, main dish, desert). The menu changes daily and uses local products as much as possible. They even grow some of them in front of the restaurant. I had all 3 courses; all tasted just great. I would have prefered less rice and more vegetables with the main dish though. The portion sizes were more than generous, my partner was feeling so full she skipped the desert. Extra respect for the very friendly ginger haired waiter: he was very helpful and super nice. Gare du Nord was a great surprise for us, definitely hope to be back some day!

Pros: Tastyvegan food, Very friendly service, Great setting

Favorite vegan place in Rotterdam - Edit

Based in an upcoming neighboorhood in Rotterdam Noord (Zomerhofkwartier). In an old train, surrounded by a lovely garden were the grow herbs, fruits and vegetables.
I have eaten here many times, and sometimes the food is very very good, somethings its mwa, but the ambiance, the kind people and the fact its all vegan, makes it always a good experience!

GOOD!!!! - Edit

I showed up before they opened and got a chance to talk with staff about anything and everything. Friendly folks indeed: when I told the owner that I was staying and the dodgy hostel nearby (actually a fine establishment for what it cost), he even mentioned he had some spare room where I could crash! I politely declined, and who knows, maybe he was just joking... but he came across as genuinely pleasant.
Oh yeah the food.. I had quesadillas made by their Colombian chef Freddie, another nice fella who delivered awesomeness. 8 euros and worth every cent; for dinner they have a more expensive deal though.
Only minus is that they don't accept cash!

Great location, ok food - Edit

The restaurant is definitely worth a visit for its unique location - an old, nicely decorated train wagon with a garden next to it. Beautiful.
Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed by the food. There is a set three course menue, which on that night consisted of soup a pasta dish (slightly overcooked) and a (sightly dry) chocolate cake (with tasty blueberries). All three courses were ok, but nothing out of the ordinary and maybe a bit pricey for what it was.
The staff was friendly, but the service was quite slow - it took about 20 minutes alone until we had our drinks and another 15 till the starters were served - since it is a set menue, we weren't expecting it to take so long.

Pros: all vegan, great location

Cons: food a bit bland/average

Hidden gem - Edit

Lovely vegan restaurant located in an old train coach. They'll offer you a set three course dinner so you won't have a menu to choose from. The menu changes everyday and is based a lot on local produce.

If you are looking for a nice vegan night out in a romantic setting in Rotterdam this is the place to visit.

Pros: Great vegan food, Friendly staff, Nice vibe

Cons: Set menu, Small place

Brillliant Food - Edit

Based in an old rail war but with plenty outdoor seating, they offer a fixed menu, all vegan, which you can choose all or some of the three courses. I had all three and they were all perfect - I could not fault a thing.

I sat outside so didnt go in the rail car, looks cosy enough.

The setting is interesting - you leave the centre of Rotterdam and walk through a few more 'urban streets', under railway arches, that sort of thing, nothing scary, its just not 'city centre'

Can't wait to go back

Pros: Great Food, Not Expensive

Tasty food - Edit

Had the three course diner. Food tastes really good, although they used too much oil in the main course(pasta salad with roasted vegetables). The food can be presented in a more creative way. The price is for what you get good

Pros: Friendly staff, original setting (old east german

Cons: too much oil

New cook, new lunch card - Edit

I have had lunch here yesterday and two weeks ago, they have a new cook and subsequently a new lunch card. I have tried the tomato and cashew soup which I liked and the seitan on bread and a chocolate cake. In the past (with the previous cook) I always choose the seitan too but that was not marinated with tomato but in another way which I loved. Although I like the food and I would still recommend people to visit this nice restaurant, I loved the food more with the previous cook.

Pros: nice teras , friendly staff, great experience

delicious! - Edit

Great food and atmosphere and a really cool little restaurant situated a quiet street with great outdoor seating as well. It's a set menu every night and you can decide which courses you want. I had all 3 and the dishes were very full of flavor and very unique. Me being the only vegan I was a little hesitant bringing family but they all loved it! Didn't miss a thing. :)

A great restaurant in a very special setting - Edit

I already loved this restaurant before I even got there. An old GDR (=East German) train restaurant car full of original details including various signs in German and Russian! And in it an all-vegan restaurant!

The place is in walking distance from Rotterdam Central Station (use the back exit).

I have been there twice so far, once for lunch and once for dinner. The lunch was quite nice, I had a sandwich with marinated tempeh, "veganaise" (=vegan mayo) and salad and for dessert a pear pie. My friends had quiche which looked good as well. For dinner, there is always only one 3-course meal. I got there on a nasty rainy autumn evening and found great food, inspired by Dutch recipes and seasonal local veggies: first a pea soup, then various autumn vegetables nicely prepared and for dessert an apple pie. Perfect for the season - and the weather!

I heard from friends that they were less enthusiastic because when they were here they were not to keen on the dishes offered and there was no choice. Indeed it would be great to be able to choose between 2 dishes. But the evening I was there I loved what I got (OK, maybe not too much the Spanish salsify, but there was just a little portion of it and that's more a personal thing). And for sure I will get back soon!

Pros: great food, organic, cool ambiance (the train car!), friendly staff

Cons: no choices for dinner

Superb! - Edit

We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at Gare du Nord! The food and service were amazing. The portion sizes were very generous (we left feeling quite stuffed). The seitan bourguignon was the best I have tasted so far - very tender pieces in a beautiful wine-based sauce. The french onion soup was a delight and the rubharb tarte was sensational. Will definitely go again.

Pros: Great food, Good service, Generous portion size

Cons: The train is quite drafty

No need to worry - Edit

As a vegan in The Netherlands it is hard to find a place where you can just sit down, order, and eat whatever is put on the table before you. Here I thoroughly enjoyed this luxury of not worrying about anything that non-vegan that might be added to a dish. And best of all! Dessert! An impossibility in even veg-friendly places.

Pros: very tasty

Cons: no huge portions

Sit down and enjoy - Edit

Different from other similarly sized cities in Germany, England or the US, vegans in Rotterdam still have a hard time to find a sit-down waited restaurant that is also open at night and on Sundays. I was very happy when Gare du Nord opened, because it is 100% vegan, its food is very tasty, looks attractive, and is also very affordable. And all that in a very special ambience, an old East-German railway car with seating indoors and outdoors. A real winner!

Pros: excellent food, great location, all organic vegan

Cons: might get cold in winter, little choice (just one menu per day)

Unique setting & great vegan food - Edit

A short 10-minute walk from Rotterdam Central Station, set in a square surrounded by grey offices and flat-buildings, you'll find this unique vegan restaurant in an old train(!). The food is very tasty with products from their own garden (which is situated in front of the restaurant). There is a (daily changing) 3 course menu (not possible to order 'a la carte') and the staff is very friendly. For this experience we happily paid € 19.50 per menu (which is very cheap!)

Pros: Food, Service, Location

Cons: Area

Great vegan food in Rotterdam - Edit

We would never have found this spot before Happy Cow. It's new so we could not see it on Google Maps. It's a good 3/4 hour walk from the harbour where we were staying. We caught the Metro back.
Everything about this place is good and right. They have taken an old train, spruced it up placed in a square.
They grow their own organic food in the square. They teach kids from local schools how to prepare and cook vegetables. The food is excellent. They have two sittings. A 6pm and a 8pm. Booking is advisable but the night we were there, they had space.
We paid €19.50 for a three course meal and €17.50 for a bottle of wine. Limited wine choice but was good and organic. Our starter was a spicy sweet potato soup with mini toasts. Main course was bulghar wheat topped with sauteed kale, "no-meat" balls in tomato sauce and a veggie stack with a pea puree. Desert was a an orange and blueberry tart.
But the best bit was the friendly people. They ONLY do pinnen which is a Dutch credit card. But they made a plan for us. Hans would have given us a lift home, but there were too many of us for his tiny car.

Pros: Organic, Vegan, Value for gourmet food

Cons: A long way out of town, Ask them first if you want to pay cash

Great Food + Ambiance + Cheap! - Edit

I passed Gare Du Nord around midday, kitchen would've been closed for prepp'ing the dinner-round. Forunately they where so kind to make something for me: a sandwich with hummus and champignons; DELICIOUS! It was a queit large sandwich, for €4,50 only!

They have a great pattio, which has great sun all day long. The train itself is a fantastic place to see, very inspiring. I think this place is really a added value to the city of Rotterdam, since we only got Spirit as good veg place here.

If you come to Rotterdam, don't hesitate flying by Gare Du Nord!

Pros: Delicious Food!, Great Ambiance!, Very Affordable!

An Ok vegan restaurant - Edit

I went to Gare Du Nord with my family on the week they opened.
The menu is fixed, therefore you eat what is served: starter, main course and dessert.

The started was a soup and it was pretty good. The main course was quite boring, not well spiced, tasteless, the dessert as well. We waited for about 30 min for a coffee as they forgot we ordered what, which I understand because the restaurant just opened and they were still organizing the service.

I thought it was a bit price for what I got.

The place is awesome, I really think is a very original idea eat in a train wagon. Cons: it was really cold inside and even after requested, the doors were not closed.

Pros: Location, Original, Staff Friendly

Cons: Food tasteless, Price, Cold inside

Return to Rotterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gare du Nord closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.