Remedy Cafe - South Side

Contact 780-433-3096

8631-109 St NW, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T6G 1E8

Serves meat, vegan options available. A licensed chai bar Indian restaurant offering vegan choices in food and baked goods. Vegan icluding chana masala, sabji masala, daal, vegan chicken chana wrap-- all with either pita or rice. Hummus is served with pita. Some of the aforementioned dished can be ordered in wrap form (note: the wraps include a herbed mayo, so make sure to specify if you want it to be vegan, and the kitchen will replace mayo with hummus). House-made chai is vegan based with almond milk and soy milk options. Sells packaged hummus and chai for take home. Mon-Sun 9:00am-12:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Indian, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by LAP

great place for interesting drinks - Edit

I like Remedy a lot. I've only eaten there twice, but very tasty. I like the dessert selection, in which everything vegan is marked as such - and I've tried two of their cakes quite successfully. One of the little things I love most is that all of their hot drinks - hot chocolate, chai varietals, etc. - are available in vegan versions, AND they do not charge extra for soy or almond milk. One of the only places I'm aware of in the city that doesn't. Go Remedy!!! (Opening a new one on Whyte Avenue soon...)
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 18, 2013

This place used to be a total hole, so if you went there before early 2015, I'd understand why you might not have gone back. But the renovation of the place has made it much more palatable. I recently went back and enjoyed some yummy Dhal, and everything vegan is still clearly labelled. Worth a visit!

Great food - Edit

After driving by this place for over 10 years without going in I found myself in the area with time to kill. I went in for an early supper and a beer and was very pleasantly surprised. The place is very crowded with university students after 3:00, so it can get busy. They have numerous vegetarian entrees and indicate which can be made vegan. I had the falafel wrap and it was not what I expected, the falafel was broken into small pieces and fried with spices, veg and chickpeas. The saucy, spicy, delicious filling was then rolled up in a wrap and pressed in a griddle. yum, yum yum! Oh, and they have the Vegan friendly Grasshopper beer by Big Rock on tap!

Pros: Vegan menu, Delicious food, super friendly staff

Cons: limited seating, long line

So good! - Edit

Remedy's wraps are so delicious! I've had the chana masala wrap and the vegan chicken chana wrap and they were both amazing. The masala dhosa is really good too, but horribly messy to eat! The portions are absolutely enormous, one wrap easily does it for me for two meals. The vegan cakes need a bit of work, both times I've tried them they've been quite dry. Don't expect service to be quick, the staff are kind of scatterbrained, and the place is always busy.

Pros: awesome wraps, huge portions, great ambiance

Cons: dessert just OK, slow service

Yum! - Edit

I like this place. Its pretty cheap, lots of neat options and they have rad vegan cake choices! Yes please! The only downside is sometimes during the day it gets crazy to get a table and the wait can take forever. Its a matter of lucky timing to avoid this.

Pros: Vegan cake, Cheap food, Yummy chai

Cons: Can get super busy, Parking canbe a bit of a pain, Not everything vegan

Chana Masala Wrap!! - Edit

You must go if only for the chana masala wrap - this is one of my long standing favourites of all time. Match this with a cup of their delectable soya chai while you check out the local work from emerging artists and if you still have room grab one of their vegan desserts. One can happily pass an afternoon in this lively coffee house. Even beer on tap for those who indulge :-) Highly recommend.

Updated from previous review on Saturday November 26, 2011

Pros: large potions, friendly staff, casual

Cons: loud music, large crowds

Return to Edmonton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Remedy Cafe - South Side closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1414 times since Oct 2011.