Purgatory Pizza

Contact 323-262-5310

1326 E 1st St (at east of the river, downtown LA), Los Angeles, California, USA, 90033

Serves meat, vegan options available. New York style pizzas. Has vegan pizza whole pies available as well as a vegan chicken sandwich (Gardein brand) and vegan calzone (your choice of filling), made to order. Uses Daiya vegan cheese, Fieldroast sausages. Very basic setup with old-school wood table and bench seating.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Pizza, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by gr8vegan

Great Place for Travelers - Edit

I frequently travel to downtown Los Angeles for business. Purgatory delivery saves me every time. They offer excellent vegan pizza, sandwiches and a few other things. I've used them half a dozen times and never disappointed.

Tasty Vegan Pizza - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and have eaten here twice. Was just here in July 2013, here's my Purgatory Pizza review.

It's a kind of "in the middle of nowhere" place. It's not in the busy part of downtown LA but across the river to the east. There's not much else going on in this area except for the metro train stop across the street and some houses.

The place is simple with an old school restaurant feel. You order at the counter, and they make your pizza on the spot - takes 20-30 minutes.

Both times we ordered the vegan "Dave's Junkie Special": vegan cheese, spicy sauce, jalapeno peppers, green peppers, Fieldroast Italian sausage, mushroom. The first time we ate there, our pizza pie was piping hot, and I burnt the roof of my mouth. But it was yummy. The second time we ordered it to-go, but I managed to sneak bites while in the car. the second time around the pizza tasted okay though I thought I smelled meat scent. The kitchen likely uses the same prep area and utensils for making meat & vegan. The leftover, however, seemed to taste even better.

Call ahead to order so your pizza or calzone so will be ready when you get there.

Pros: vegan pizza, vegan calzone

I can't believe there are no reviews for here? - Edit

I've hit up Purgatory from time to time when I'm downtown late at night. Unfortunately they coat all their dough in gobs of oil so its impossible to go healthy here. They were one of the first places to take the vegan pizza mainstream.

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Purgatory Pizza closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.