Portia's Cafe

Contact 614-928-3252

4428 Indianola Ave (at Clintonville), Columbus, Ohio, USA, 43214

Clintonville Cafe with seating for up to 30, here since early-2013. Serves fully vegan and gluten-free food with many raw dishes. Open atmosphere.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by Laura Standfield

I'll have to try Portia's again... - Edit

The crowd of those dining in and waiting for takeout was large, so it's clearly a popular neighborhood hangout! I really wanted to love Portia's because the staff was very friendly and it is a rare vegan option around. I ordered a cup of the red lentil soup and a kale curry salad. The soup was mild in flavor and needed spice, and the kale had a nice punch from the onions, but could use more curry kick. The portions were small (the $6 kale salad was a side, at best) and I left hungry...but despite the disappointment on the savory dishes, I would go back to try their raw vegan cheesecake!

Cons: Small portions

Wholesome Comfort Food - Edit

So as soon as you walk in the place is super welcoming. It has a nice hippy/west coast vibe. For an appetizer we ordered the Spanko rice wraps. Very good. ($6 for two small ones.) I ordered the green on green which was kale salad on top of the house salad. It was huge! And I was happy to get the greens. I shared it though with my partner. ($10) We got the special, Mediterranean stew over brown rice for $7. It tasted like ratatouille which my partner liked. We got the vegetable curry soup cup for $3.5. This was our favorite flavor. For dessert we had the low-sugar chocolate cheezcake ($6). Oh my. It was delectable. Smooth and not too sweet. Just right.

We've been before: our past favorites include the Raw Pad Thai and the Red Lentil Soup.

We also loved that everything was vegan on the menu. The menu says 95% organic/local, which was great. And they sell fruits and veggies in the fridge. Lots of Hurraw chapstick (!) which is the best chapstick except for Ellovi. I have yet to try the soft serve ice cream. A must for anyone traveling to Columbus. It is definitely a spot for locals.

Pros: Healthy dessert, Homey environment, Made from scratch

No Oil = No Problem! - Edit

I recently began "eating to live." In essence I'm following the advice of Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr., M.D. (Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure), Dr John A. McDougall, M.D. (The Starch Solution), Dr. T. Colin Campbell, PH.D. (The China Study), and many others who promote a whole-food plant-based lifestyle. These doctors provide scientific evidence as to why this is critically important.

However, it is always such a struggle when eating out, especially when I try to explain how I desire food with NO ADDED OIL. I get such strange looks when I ask a waiter/waitress what foods can I order that have no added oil.

However, at my very first visit to Portia's Cafe, when I asked my "no oil" question, the waitress completely understood, and provided me a list of their menu items that have no added oil! And before I knew it, Portia herself came to our table and made a suggestion on a wrap they could prepare that would meet my dietary requirements!

Portia and her staff are clearly on the cutting edge of the paradigm shift that will dramatically improve the health of our world!

Portia's Cafe - Edit

My favorite food here that I've had is their 7-Layer Dip and their Daiya cheese quesadillas. This place is definitely worth visiting!

Pros: The food is delicious, The wait time is very short even if they are busy, The foods are all labelled on the menu to help wit

Cons: I'm not a huge fan of the raw foods, except for th

Amazing Service and Great Food. - Edit

Being new to this amazing vegan life style I wasn't sure what to expect since this was the first vegan restaurant I have been to, but whatever expectations I had were met and then some! The atmosphere is relaxed and calming. Every single employee working was so nice and inviting as soon as we walked in the door and throughout the time we were there. Everything we ordered was excellent (appetizer, drinks, main dish and desert!). I have no problem traveling the almost 30 minute drive to come back!

Nutritious & delicious! - Edit

One of the best meals of my life. I so appreciated Portia's attention to detail; every aspect of the menu was well thought out. 100% vegan, but also 95% organic and local when possible! Each bite was incredibly satisfying, both packed with flavor and with nutrition. This cafe is on par with some of the best vegan restaurants I've ever been to. Keep it up and add some more variety on the menu!

Pros: Flavor, Nutrition, Ingredient sourcing

had to wait for table - Edit

This place is very popular, I had to wait for table. Truly vegan, and super friendly service. They had some nice carry out items in the fridge for carry out. Good amazing ! Highly recommend.

so glad to find this place - Edit

A little out of the way for my business travel but the food selections are just what I needed! There are tons of non vegan restaurants in Columbus who say they have vegan menu items but I prefer to come to a 100% vegan restaurant like Portia's.

Thanks and keep up the great healthy cooking!

Great little Vegan cafe - Edit

This place is a must go as they have a great menu, delicious food and a hard working welcoming owner. I had the Pad Thai which was great but I really wantwed to try everything. Great looking wraps, bowls, soups and dessert. The Coffee cheese cake was quite good and highly recommended. Reasonably priced and parking right out front make this a must go. Enjoy!

Pros: Great Menu, Tasty food, Reasonbly prices

Cons: Cant order everything!

Great Food - Edit

The food was really good, we went with a non-veg friend and even he was happy.
However, I wish I had known they were mostly raw cold food before hand. If I'm in the area again I will totally go back though. Their cheesecake (raw,vegan)was to die for.

Pros: great food, good prices, nice owner and environment

Great place, great food - Edit

I was on the lookout for some good vegan food and this place did not disappoint. A little outside of town, but really excellent and fresh food. Will be back next time I'm in town!

Tasty healthy - Edit

I had the trio dipper plate. All dips were exceptional. The wraps and noodles are all good to. I took my carnivorous friend here and he liked it. Very healthy and light. You could go for a run after eating here. Cheese cake was killer too!

Great Cafe - Edit

I got the Spinach and Artichoke dip and Pad Thai entree at Portia's. Both were fresh and tasty. I will definitely be back for the Pad Thai, and next time I'm going to try one of the soups on the menu. The service was friendly and efficient. I'm glad to find this Clintonville gem!

Pros: Tasty food, Extensive menu, Good sized portions

Best Kale EVER! - Edit

Can't say enough good things about Portia's Cafe. Starting with Portia - what a sweetheart! The food is divine! Both in flavor and in soul-nourishment. The Deep Green kale salad is literally the best kale i've ever had - it's better than candy! The quesadilla's are wonderful. Everything is gluten free. I haven't had anything there i don't like. Oh, did i mention the sunday waffles? Worth the trip alone!! SO GRATEFUL to have this restaurant in town!

Pros: Charming little restaurant, Incredible food, great, kind service

Loved every bite! - Edit

It was a bit pricey, but I guess that's what you get when you order half the menu! We tried the 1/2 Sampler with veggies (with Spinach-Collard-Artichoke Dip and Sunny Walnut Pate), Pad Thai with zucchini noodles (the special/not on the menu), Savory Patty Wrap in the GF tortilla, SuperPower Wrap in lettuce, and Chocolate Mousse. They use fresh and tasty produce. We will definitely go there again.... soon.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Relaxed, Clean Environment, Excellent Food

Our family loved it! - Edit

Ate at Portia's today with my wife and two of our children. I had the Notuna Wrap and the Deep Green kale salad. The food and service were excellent. They make the gluten free tortilla wraps from scratch and to order, so be patient with the amount of time it takes to prepare your food. We will be back often!

Pros: Very Fresh, Polite Service, Tasty!

Cons: Easy to drive by.

Fresh and Delicious with Quick Service - Edit

I took my elderly parents (non-vegetarian) to Portia's today. We had the dipper sampler. I got a carrot/apple/celery juice and a SuperPower Lettuce Wrap. My dad got the Lentil Soup. Both of my parents got Notuna Lettuce Wraps and kept asking me if it was real tuna - they were very pleased. Then we each got a different smoothie. I was happy that my parents were willing to try it and that they enjoyed the meal. It was a bonus that the food was really good and the service was quick and friendly. It is a small place but that is understandable given that it is a new venture. I hope it continues to prosper because it is nice having a place where I can eat out near my parents.

Pros: good food, quick and friendly service

Cons: small, got crowded during lunch

Outstanding Experience! - Edit

My wife and I are seriously considering going vegetarian again and possibly even Vegan. We checked out Happy Cow and found Portia's Cafe in Columbus, Ohio.

To get a good overview, we ordered an appetizer, main dish, and dessert. We started with raw Broccolli soup that was truly delicious and a great way to start a meal!

For the main dishes, we tried the Guacamole Garden wrap and a burrito for my wife. Both were completely stuffed and just dripping with flavor!

If this wasn't enough, we ordered 2 kinds of Cheezecakes (their spelling). One was made from berries and the other pineapples. I'm here to tell you - those desserts will rival any normal cheesecake dishes any day of the week!

In conclusion, due to this being a 5 star rating system, we are definitely giving it them an emphatic 5!! We are completely looking forward to our next visit...which will probably be tomorrow!!
Updated from previous review on Friday June 21, 2013

Pros: Delicious Food, Wonderful dining environment, Friendly staff

Cons: There aren't more locations!, It's not located near where we live

Loved it - Edit

I was there 2 days ago and I am so glad its close to me so I can go often. Very healthy and great tasting high vibrational food. And the desserts are even better.

Pros: Desserts are special, great staff and owner, vegan and healthy for you

Great Vegan Food In A Relaxed Calming Environment - Edit

I was very excited to find a vegan restaurant in reasonable driving distance. I am even more excited after eating there as they offer a great casual dining menu that will be sure to please. I dined with a friend who is not a vegan and she loved the food as well. The desserts are extra yummy so make sure to leave room or take to go, you wont be disappointed.

Pros: Great Food, Relaxed, Friendly Environment

fresh yummy vegan food, neighborhood cafe - Edit

Love it that a vegan restaurant has opened up in my neighborhood!! YAY! Food was excellent, dessert was outstanding!! Will be coming back here many many times!!

Pros: healthy fresh vegan and raw food, great people and servers, excellent desserts

Return to Columbus Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Portia's Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 11678 times since Apr 2013.