Portia's Cafe

614-928-3252

4428 Indianola Ave (at Clintonville), Columbus, Ohio, USA, 43214

Clintonville Cafe with seating for up to 30, here since early-2013. Serves fully vegan and gluten-free food with many raw dishes. Open atmosphere. Open Tue-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 10:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by Laura Standfield

I go here all the time!!!! - Edit

I go here after school or when I'm about to go to work. It's a small place but I love it! Me and my friend both are obsessed with this place!

I LOVE this place! - Edit

Everything on the menu was something I could eat. The food was smackdown EXCELLENT. Will be back. 100% Vegan!

Pros: 100% Vegan

Cons: Small with limited seating

Lovely! - Edit

We were on the road when we found this little gem (thanks, HappyCow!) and decided to stop there for lunch. Selection of raw and cooked food and awesome desserts. I had the Pad Thai, which was totally different from any Pad Thai I had ever had, but in a positive way. I'd go back any time if I were on the road in that area again.

Very happy - Edit

We happened to be in town for a doctor's appointment and made a point to search out a vegan restaurant. We were very happy about our find. The food was great, plenty of selections and the cheesecake was the best I've ever had.

Pros: Great food, Lots of choices

delicious and service - Edit

I'm so glad that I had a great meal. Pesto quest ilia. The service is great! Bathroom is very clean. Will come back if I ever happened to be here. My friend, Julie lives here and she knows I'm vegan and there is a deaf school nearby I would love to see so I did both!!

Pros: food, service , bathroom

All time favorite! - Edit

Everything is delicious.

excellent, fresh food - Edit

It was a challenge to decide what to order because everything looks so good! I had the curried vegetable and pad Thai with kelp noodles. It was amazing! Both dishes were bursting with flavor. I ordered the super power wrap to go and really enjoyed that for dinner and lunch the next day.

Excellent Food! Wonderful Owner! - Edit

This is a 100% vegan café. Food ranges from dips, soups, wraps, quesadillas, raw cheesecakes, and more. Everything I've had is delicious!

I have many favorites such as: spinach dip, No Tuna wrap, all of the quesadillas :) , vegetable curry soup, burrito w/ the breakfast patty, and blueberry cinnamon waffles. So many delicious options that it's always difficult to decide what to eat!

Pros: All Vegan

best waffle. best pad Thai. best waitress - Edit

First time visiting Portia's and our waitress Meredith made us feel right at home. We started by splitting a vegan, gluten free blueberry waffle and it was one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten. We wanted to mix up the flavors, so I had a cup of curry soup to start, followed by the waffle (toggling savory and sweet) and then we split breakfast patty quesadilla and the pad Thai with brown rice. The pad Thai was unbelievable and won the day. The flavors in the sauce are just lovely. We are leaving very full and very pleased, so thanks to the great team at Portia's!

I'll have to try Portia's again... - Edit

The crowd of those dining in and waiting for takeout was large, so it's clearly a popular neighborhood hangout! I really wanted to love Portia's because the staff was very friendly and it is a rare vegan option around. I ordered a cup of the red lentil soup and a kale curry salad. The soup was mild in flavor and needed spice, and the kale had a nice punch from the onions, but could use more curry kick. The portions were small (the $6 kale salad was a side, at best) and I left hungry...but despite the disappointment on the savory dishes, I would go back to try their raw vegan cheesecake!

Cons: Small portions

Great meeting place - Edit

I recently had a lunch meeting here. I got the sample platter with vegetables. I always enjoy it.

Pros: friendly staff, good value

Cons: small restaurant but I haven't waited long.

Wholesome Comfort Food - Edit

So as soon as you walk in the place is super welcoming. It has a nice hippy/west coast vibe. For an appetizer we ordered the Spanko rice wraps. Very good. ($6 for two small ones.) I ordered the green on green which was kale salad on top of the house salad. It was huge! And I was happy to get the greens. I shared it though with my partner. ($10) We got the special, Mediterranean stew over brown rice for $7. It tasted like ratatouille which my partner liked. We got the vegetable curry soup cup for $3.5. This was our favorite flavor. For dessert we had the low-sugar chocolate cheezcake ($6). Oh my. It was delectable. Smooth and not too sweet. Just right.

We've been before: our past favorites include the Raw Pad Thai and the Red Lentil Soup.

We also loved that everything was vegan on the menu. The menu says 95% organic/local, which was great. And they sell fruits and veggies in the fridge. Lots of Hurraw chapstick (!) which is the best chapstick except for Ellovi. I have yet to try the soft serve ice cream. A must for anyone traveling to Columbus. It is definitely a spot for locals.

Pros: Healthy dessert, Homey environment, Made from scratch

No Oil = No Problem! - Edit

I recently began "eating to live." In essence I'm following the advice of Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr., M.D. (Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure), Dr John A. McDougall, M.D. (The Starch Solution), Dr. T. Colin Campbell, PH.D. (The China Study), and many others who promote a whole-food plant-based lifestyle. These doctors provide scientific evidence as to why this is critically important.

However, it is always such a struggle when eating out, especially when I try to explain how I desire food with NO ADDED OIL. I get such strange looks when I ask a waiter/waitress what foods can I order that have no added oil.

However, at my very first visit to Portia's Cafe, when I asked my "no oil" question, the waitress completely understood, and provided me a list of their menu items that have no added oil! And before I knew it, Portia herself came to our table and made a suggestion on a wrap they could prepare that would meet my dietary requirements!

Portia and her staff are clearly on the cutting edge of the paradigm shift that will dramatically improve the health of our world!

Portia's Cafe - Edit

My favorite food here that I've had is their 7-Layer Dip and their Daiya cheese quesadillas. This place is definitely worth visiting!

Pros: The food is delicious, The wait time is very short even if they are busy, The foods are all labelled on the menu to help wit

Cons: I'm not a huge fan of the raw foods, except for th

Amazing Service and Great Food. - Edit

Being new to this amazing vegan life style I wasn't sure what to expect since this was the first vegan restaurant I have been to, but whatever expectations I had were met and then some! The atmosphere is relaxed and calming. Every single employee working was so nice and inviting as soon as we walked in the door and throughout the time we were there. Everything we ordered was excellent (appetizer, drinks, main dish and desert!). I have no problem traveling the almost 30 minute drive to come back!

Nutritious & delicious! - Edit

One of the best meals of my life. I so appreciated Portia's attention to detail; every aspect of the menu was well thought out. 100% vegan, but also 95% organic and local when possible! Each bite was incredibly satisfying, both packed with flavor and with nutrition. This cafe is on par with some of the best vegan restaurants I've ever been to. Keep it up and add some more variety on the menu!

Pros: Flavor, Nutrition, Ingredient sourcing

had to wait for table - Edit

This place is very popular, I had to wait for table. Truly vegan, and super friendly service. They had some nice carry out items in the fridge for carry out. Good amazing ! Highly recommend.

so glad to find this place - Edit

A little out of the way for my business travel but the food selections are just what I needed! There are tons of non vegan restaurants in Columbus who say they have vegan menu items but I prefer to come to a 100% vegan restaurant like Portia's.

Thanks and keep up the great healthy cooking!

Return to Columbus Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Portia's Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.