Plumeria

Contact 619-269-9989

4661 Park Blvd, University Heights (at Adams Ave), San Diego, California, USA, 92116

Vegetarian Thai restaurant. Uses organic vegetables (when available) and organic non-gmo tofu. Most food is vegan and gluten free. Opened in July 2012. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-3:00pm, Mon-Thu 4:30pm-10:00pm, Fri 4:30pm-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Organic, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by TheunSponselee

fantastic Thai food - Edit

I have the tuna salad (extra spicy) and the ginger soy chicken. The tuna salad was really tasty and it is served with little rice flower cups. The soy ginger chicken was delicious- lots of vegetables and very flavorful.

Pros: service, variety of gf vegan options

Cons: it is in San Diego, not Las Vegas where I live

I'm happy, I'm so happy - Edit

This place is awesome! It's gets crowded so call in to make a reservation if you can.
The soups and the desserts are amazing.
And remember is a Thai place so hot is really hot.
Enjoy!

Yummy Thai food - Edit

The food here is very fresh tasting but never bland. There are many vegan options; actually, more of the menu is vegan than merely vegetarian. The atmosphere and decor is attractive; it can get a bit crowded at times but I've never had to wait very long. Service is good!

Pros: excellent food, nice vibe, Good service

REALLY DELICIOUS VEGAN FARE - Edit

Great flavor even a meat eater would love. Really nice servers. Just a great feel. Love the area. First time and bought the pad Thai with pho chicken and one with pho beef. Both amazing

Pros: everything. great pricing

Cons: none

Excellent Restaurant - Edit

I have been going to Plumeria for a couple years and the service, food, and overall experience keeps getting better and better. The staff is friendly, accommodating, and will cater to you individually. The atmosphere is cozy and elegantly decorated. The food is amazing and the faux meat is very realistic in both flavor and texture. They also have a gluten free option, as well as tofu. I would recommend the duck larb, the chicken satay, and the tom yum soup.
Tip: make a reservation on evenings and weekends as it can get busy.

Pros: Excellent service, Amazing food, Friendly atmosphere

Cons: You never know what the spice levels are. , It can get busy.

Best Restaurant Ever!! - Edit

I became vegan at the begging of the year and this is the best vegetarian/vegan restaurant I've ever been to. Cute cafe like seeing. Amazing food and drink presentation. I had the Thai iced tea with coconut milk and they had a little flower made out of the straw cover over the straw. Cutest thing ever! The variety of options at this place is amazing I didn't know what to get. They offer vegan chicken, beef, duck, and shrimp. They also have tofu or you could get just veggies. I had the Ka Pow spicy noodles with the duck. It was amazing. The flavor is so rich and the mock duck was delicious. I wished they had a location closer to home. Definitely will return. Must try!

Pros: Extensive variety, Not to pricey, Beautiful presentation

Cons: One location

I found this little place due to the happy cow app. The app is a blessing and Pluneria is a cozy little place in normal heights. I ordered the crispy tofu and satay chicken. They were both good. I'll be returning to try more items.

Wonderful in every way - Edit

I'm visiting friends in San Diego, who chose Plumeria based on recommendations: they knew nothing about vegan, but wanted to cater to my food choices.

We had reservations for six people, and were seated immediately. Service was excellent.

I had some of the best Tom Kah soup I've ever had, Lek Yum noodles with veg duck (delicious!), fresh spring rolls, and cherry chocolate ice cream. Oh. my. god. Everyone in our groups loved their meals. The portions were generous and the prices reasonable.

If I still lived in San Diego, I'd come here all the time.

Pros: Excellent Food, Value, Large portions

BEST THAI EVER!!! - Edit

Friendly staff, nice atmosphere. I had the Tom Ka soup. It was soooo good. I wish there was something like this where I lived. I will be missing it and cannot recommend enough. Also had the mango sticky rice, v good.

Pros: Best soup ever, Extensive menu, Friendly

Excellent Thai - Edit

This restaurant serves great vegetarian Thai food. It's busy even after they have expanded so make reservations if you want to eat there. The place has a nice atmosphere, great for a date. My favorite dishes are the yellow curry, zen soup and satay. The food is awesome!

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Awesome food, Friendly staff

VEGAN FLOWER TUNA CUPS! - Edit

I was only going to be in San Diego for a couple of days, so my mission to try the best vegan food was somewhat fast and furious. I decided to give this place a shot and it did not disappoint.

TUNA FLOWER CUPS:
Amazing little delicacies. The mock tuna salad had a great spicy flavor and was quite tuna-like (from what I recall of real tuna). The tuna, coupled with the crispy flower cups, was like eating fancy tuna and crackers...but much more delicious. Excellent little dish. The menu labels this as a "must try" and I couldn't agree more.

SATAY:
I got the "chicken" satay. Awesome taste and the mock chicken was melt in your mouth delicious. I am not a peanut fan, so I wasn't sure if I'd like the peanut sauce, but it was yummy as well.

GARLIC PEPPER :
I ordered the Garlic Pepper with "chicken" dish. Sadly, because they forgot to include any utensils in my to-go order, I didn't get a chance to eat this dish until days later, when I returned home. Luckily, there was a fridge in my hotel room, so the dish was saved. When I finally got to taste it, I enjoyed it. I got a level 5 in spice (on a 1-10 scale), and it was perfectly spicy for me. It came with broccoli, which was cooked perfectly 1/2 crunchy and 1/2 soft.

When I return to the area, I'll definitely return here, hopefully for a dine-in experience next time. There was a lot on the menu that looked appealing, and being that everything I had was so delicious, I can't wait to try more of their dishes. This restaurant is strictly vegetarian, but as a vegan, I like that the menu marks the vegan items with a "V".

It's in a popular area that is lined with other restaurants, so the fight to find a space (street parking) is very much a pain during certain times...like most of the time.

Pros: AMAZING flavor and delicious food

Cons: parking

All Vegetarian, but Great for Omnivores too - Edit

I actually had this place recommended to me by an omnivore. I took my omni husband and our friend (also omni) without making a huge deal about it being an all-veg place, and they weren't disappointed. It was a bit of a wait to get in on a Friday night, so you might want to make reservations if you really don't want to wait. We all started with soy milk thai tea (also available with coconut milk or half-and-half), which was a crowd-pleaser. I started to order the taro tea with soy milk, but the very helpful server informed me that it was made with a dairy-based mix. The entrees were all really yummy. Many of them allow you to choose from a variety of mock meats, organic tofu, or just veggies. Much of the menu is vegan-friendly (and there are a lot of gluten-free items, if that's an issue for you). The portions were generous, and you can select the level of spice you want from 10 levels - I got a level four, which was pleasantly spicy. I think this will become a new favorite spot for us ^_^

Pros: Great food, generous portions, Large selection of Vegan and GF options, Nice, helpful staff

Cons: Parking is limited , On weekends, reservations recommended

Genuine Thai Food - Edit

I highly recommend it. The thai food is amazing. This place is authentic and cook their dishes on a thai spicy scale. I had a curry and pad thai dish split for 2; we both left full of greatness.

Pros: Authentic, Many Protein options

Cons: Small Resturantant and can be loud when busy

Awesome food - Amazing service! - Edit

If I could give this restaurant 6 stars, I would. The food was great, better than most Thai restaurants, and I didn't have to worry about asking if there was fish sauce in any of the dishes. Their faux meat choices were fabulous. What made this restaurant stand out for me was their service and attention to detail. We are a family of five and our youngest child is 1 y/o. For the baby, we usually just give him stuff he can hold and eat right out of his hand - a piece of carrot, tofu, some noodles. Needless to say, he ends up eating it off the table... The owner of the restaurant noticed that and brought him a small plastic bowl and mentioned that at the end of the night they clean the tables with chemicals (think windex) we don't really want to ingest. That was very thoughtful! Further, when bringing us our dessert, the staff brought some cut up apples for the kids and some cute edible cake decorations, and extra miniature umbrellas to take home. The restaurant seems to be a little overstaffed, by other restaurants' standards, but they didn't sit around, they were constantly walking by removing empty plates and refilling water glasses. The food also came super-fast, I'm talking three minutes for the appetizers and before we were done with those, the entrees were already coming. What can I say, I was impressed with the quality of the food and the quality of the staff. We will definitely go back during our one-week stay in San Diego!

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Plumeria closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.