Muzita Abyssinian Bistro

619-546-7900

4651 Park Blvd, Parkcrest (at Adams Ave), San Diego, California, USA, 92116

Serves meat, vegan options available. Dinner menu has five vegetarian options (listed in a separate section and clearly marked), four of which are vegan, and the fifth can be made vegan. Entrees come with a side dish, all three of which are vegan. Also has two vegan appetizers. Lunch menu has similar options. Comfortable atmosphere. Open Mon-Thu 5:00am-10:00pm, Fri 11:00am-11:00pm, Sat 3:30pm-11:00pm, Sun 3:00pm-9:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Ethiopian, Non-veg

First Review by steveveg

DELICIOUSNESS!!! - Edit

Hands down my favorite restaurant. Their food is magical. Go eat here. I usually write paragraphs, but I can't do this place justice. Just go.

Pros: Delicious, Delicious, Delicious

Cons: Expensive

An Awesome Experience - Edit

Ethiopian food is definitely an experience as much as it is nourishment. You eat with your hands and the bread called injera is your spoon and also your plate. The menu has only a couple pages, one is specifically vegetarian dishes. Everything is family style and every entree comes with one side dish. I have tried all the vegetarian options and they are all good though a couple are kinda spicy. My favorite is definitely the Shiro.

Pros: Vegetarian food has its own menu page, Tasty Ethiopian food, Large portions

Don't miss this restaurant! It's really wonderful! - Edit

Firstly, I would like to say that I eat a lot of Ethiopian/Eritrean food and like it a lot. It can be very bland (bummer) or flavorful (yay) and I have a couple of favorite restaurants in the Bay Area. Secondly, my favorite Ethiopian restaurant is my friend's apartment in Denver, she really spoiled me for any Ethiopian food and I keep trying to find a place that is like eating at her house. Muzita is the answer to eating at my friend's place! Abel (the chef and owner) prepares food that is like eating at a friend's home. He has mastered making food like his mother made for him and now fixes it for us!

All our dishes were interesting, flavorful and beautifully prepared. The spicing was done skillfully and the ingredients were fresh and delicious! One of the ways I rank Ethiopian restaurants is by the salad dressing and this salad was great and a nice contrast to the other heartier dishes! The sides were really interesting and the injera (bread) was pleasantly sour. (On the weekends, they have gluten-free injera for an extra charge -- check first.)

Surprisingly there was a vegan chocolate creme brulee for dessert!!! Of course, we had to order it because I believe that if a restaurant is going to go out of their way to make something special for us vegans, well then I need to try it! YUMMY!!! I have only had "real" creme brulee once and this compared very well to that AND it was not too sweet like some desserts. This was a very delightful surprise. Although we were very full by the time dessert arrived and could barely eat anything more.

The service was great! Apparently, for this busy Saturday, our waiter Kyle came out of (self-imposed) retirement to work at Muzita. He is a really nice man and also efficient, attentive, humorous, knowledgeable and could take a joke -- all good qualities! If the food hadn't been as good, the service would have made the visit just as delightful! So together ... wow, the four of us had a great evening!

If you are in San Diego, please visit Muzita, they cater to vegans, they are super-nice and the food is so delicious!

Pros: Very vegan-friendly., Delicious and well-prepared food!, Nice staff and atmosphere!

Cons: It was a busy night so it was noisy.

Popular Ethiopian place has lots of vegan choices - Edit

This popular restaurant has many vegan dishes. In typical Ethiopian style, you eat with your hands, although utensils are available for the asking. It's not as sloppy as it sounds, as the food is picked up with injera, a soft spongy bread. The food was quite tasty. We had the shiro (ground chickpeas), hamli (braised spinach and collard greens) and the kantisha khebli (braised mushrooms with stewed tomato and serrano). Each entree comes with a choice of side dish, all vegan. Everything except the chickpeas was served on one big platter, family style. We were too full to try the vegan dessert - I think it was sorbet.

The server was cheery and vegan knowledgeable, being vegan herself. The friendly owner came by a couple of times to see how we were doing. Although the place filled up after we arrived, it did not seem cramped. In sum, a nice dining option for a vegan.

Pros: vegan choices, knowledgeable & friendly staff

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Muzita Abyssinian Bistro closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.