Planeta Vegetariano

All-day buffet spread features salad bar, hot foods, some raw food, and daily soup. Also has fresh juices. Room is decorated in bright colors and artworks. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-11:30am, Mon-Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Buffet, Salad bar, Juice bar, Mexican

First Review by nirvana2013

so good! - Edit

Couldn't stop eating! I went back for seconds... then vegan chocolate cake for dessert mmmmm. Highly recommend! About 90% of the food was vegan too.

great for vegans - Edit

We found this place the first night and were so glad we did. It is a buffet it is very inexpensive and the owner is very knowledgeable about what is vegan and what is not most of that was there was a variety of food and it really was pretty delicious this is a great find if you are vegan or vegetarianand want to be sure you are eating vegetarian food

Pros: inexpensive , great food

Great Veggie Restaurant - Edit

This place was amazing. We ate here twice during our stay in Puerto Vallarta. Buffet style food which was all vegetarian or vegan. The food was excellent & the value for money was unbelievable. I would highly recommend anyone who is staying in the PV area to check them out. We had one non veg person with us (who lives in PV), she was so impressed that she is going to go back there on a regular basis.

Pros: Good Value, Excellent Food

So good! - Edit

We went to the lunch buffet - the curry was amazing, as were the "beef" skewers. A piece of delicious cake topped it off, along with "oat drink", a really yummy beverage. Just off of the Malecon. Highly recommended!

Pros: Friendly staff, Beautifully decorated.

perfecto! - Edit

I live in NYC so I have high standards for vegetarian food, and this place did not disappoint! Great price, great food, and great people. Even though it's a buffet, they offered me dessert to-go because I was too full to eat it in the restaurant.
I was visiting a local friend and was getting tired of quesadillas champiñones, so I found this place near where we were staying. It was a little bit tricky to find, but such a beautiful spot! The friend I was with had NEVER had a proper vegetarian meal, and was a bit skeptical, but he enjoyed it so much that he requested we go back the next day!
I will definitely eat here again the next time I'm in PV

no longer great - Edit

I've been visiting Puerto Vallarta for 22 years, and started going to Planeta as soon as they opened. In spite of four other vegetarian restaurants opening in Puerto Vallerta, this one remained the best. However, after an absence of almost a year, I came back to Planeta today. There was one wheat gluten main dish, two lacto main dishes, and very little else for a Vegan to eat. My meal comprised of two soups with over-cooked vegetables and hardly any taste, followed by tortilla flats, refried beans, and some potato-rice tacos (mostly high glycemic). I have never been so surprised to see a restaurant go downhill this fast. To add insult to injury, the cook/waiter proceeded to tell me how I could create a great meal - like I was his little boy.

Loved the Planet Vegetariano - Edit

Great variety of cold and hot vegan entrees on an all you can eat buffet - and as of Oct 1, 2016 only $5 for lunch or dinner all inclusive!

Pros: Great all you ca eat buffet.

Cons: none

Love it! - Edit

Planeta Vegetariano is in a great location and the restaurant itself is so cute. The walls are painted really creatively and are fun to look at while you eat. As for the food, it is a good price for all you can eat. Most dishes are vegan which is really great, and it is all really good, though it might at times not be totally hot. The price includes dessert, but sadly, the dessert isn't usually vegan :(

Pros: Variety, Location

Cons: No vegan dessert

Great Buffet - Edit

Huge buffet with ten to fifteen creative salads, one soup, a few hot entrees, beans and rice, and drinks (coffee, tea, water, agua de jamaica, and another cold drink). 90% vegan, 10% with some dairy. Nice and warm staff. Excellent flavors, we'll seasoned. We ate here everyday. With vegetarian cooking this good, I can be lazy and not cook myself. A great deal also for the massive variety -- even lots of soy dishes.

Pros: incredible number of options, delicious use of lot

Cons: none

All you care to eat goodness - Edit

We came here on our first night in PV. The staff was very knowledgable and helpful. The food was great and most dishes vegan. Drinks and desserts were included. Hope to try breakfast soon!

Pros: Friendly staff, Many options

Great Food And Location - Edit

Things I love about Planeta Vegetariano:

- Thursdays: pozole, chicharrón with delicious green sauce, fried tacos and mole.
-Tuesdays: pumpkin seed meatball soup!
- Vegan dessert everyday! (And great coffe)
- Agua fresca

Pros: Mostly Vegan Dishes

Cons: No AC in the summer

Just amazing. - Edit

We landed in PV last night and walked here after checking into our B&B. We've never been dissapointed by this place, but somehow they have upped their game! Regardless of price, this place offered incredible varieties of cold & warm selections, blurring the lines between salad, appetiser, dinner into just a delightful dining experience. Fancy chefs everywhere: stop here to find out why you don't need meat, fowl or dairy to make incredible meals.
Updated from previous review on Thursday February 05, 2015:
We are questioning if we should keep giving this place glowing reviews because it appears to be getting busier and we used to consider this place, well, ours. The staff changes, but the chef remembers us and we enjoy her constantly experimenting with items. The fact is, it has become even better with wider options and more interesting drinks.The prices, however, are ridiculously low.

Pros: Too many selections

Cons: Too small a stomach

Stairs next to the cathedral - Edit

Went here for lunch, wasn't amazing but it was great to have a wide variety of options. Was mostly vegan the day we went aside from some of the salads. 105 pesos for lunch, so not a super cheap option, but you can eat as much as you want! includes drinks and dessert, but couldn't eat the dessert as it contained milk.

Pros: Variety

Cons: A little pricey , Staff don't speak english

Great spot! - Edit

Very hard to find! We had to take 3 cabs, but were determined to find it. Glad we did! It is very close to a restaurant called "La Posta" - taxi drivers may know where this is. Great buffet all day - and different each day! Very nice ladies that work here! More than half the stuff was vegan :)

So grateful Planeta is there! - Edit

We had a little trouble to find this place as we took the Google map from Happy cow's site for granted. The taxi dropped us off 1/2 hour walk away from the restaurant. Good to know that this restaurant is in the old town, accessible from the beautiful Melacon boardwalk. ITurbide is a pedestrian "stairway" street. So we were very happy to find it, and we were delighted by the warm welcome we got from the loveable staff. The room is small, only 11 tables, nicely decorated with bright colors on the walls, paintings, tablecloths and chairs. Very "mexican" like joie de vivre. The buffet is modest with one soup, four choices for warm entrees, plus rice as side, but lots of different salads. It was past 8:00 PM when we ate and most of everything "warm" was not very warm at all. I had a sample of almost all the salads, (two out of about 10 were not vegan) and the only one that stood out for both my hubby and I was the mushroom's. For the warm entrees, together we had chickpea patties with tomato sauce, (good but not warm enough, reminiscent of a non spicy samosa), the refried beans, average good, the brown rice with shredded carrots, sadly tasting of nothing, and by far the tastiest dish of the buffet, a soy TVP sautéed with vegetables, a spicy mixture that really pleased our taste buds this time.The soup, a cream of vegetables, was lukewarm and had nothing to be remembered of. So to sum it up, we were extremely pleased to find an almost all vegan restaurant; believe me Mexico is NOT vegan friendly at all, but the food disappointed us somewhat. I guess the raving reviews had prepared us to experience something different. Nevertheless we would go back to give it another try as it was maybe an "off" night and it is so important to encourage vegan restaurants all over the world.

Pros: Very friendly staff, Charming decor, Almost all vegan

Cons: Difficult to locate with Google map, Food did not make up to the other review

Love this Place - Edit

Most decent owner. Food shows the love
Excellent choices
Good Value
Should try to develop lower fat and low sugar dishes

Pros: Owner, Location, Value

So good! Best vegetarian restaurant ever! - Edit

I love this place. Every time I've been there the food has been excellent. Very friendly staff. Cheap and delicious. Pretty vegan friendly too. Even my meat loving boyfriend likes it and wants to go back. So good!

Pros: Good value, Different choices daily, Affordable

LOVE it. - Edit

I ate there for about 5 times during our vacation in PV. Food was excellent, different menu every day, great drinks, friendly people. Even my teenage son who is not vegetarian, gave high marks and loved the food there.
The food is high quality, very fresh, and tasty. For non Spanish speakers, the signs are in English, clear and easy to read. Best food I had I during our vacation. I wish we stayed closer to downtown so we could eat there more often.
Great location, easy to find, only one block from the main church. Quiet and very pleasant ambiance.

Pros: Good value, Friendly staff, Lots of choices

Return to Puerto Vallarta Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Planeta Vegetariano closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.