Pho La Jolla

Contact 858-587-4688

3211 Holiday Ct, La Jolla, California, USA, 92037

Serves meat, vegan options available. Vietnamese food menu with vegetarian dishes highlighted, and there are several vegan suitable dishes like tofu vegetable rice noodle soup, rolls, and vege chicken sandwich. Fruit salad dessert and smoothies.

Category: Beer/Wine, Take-out, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by jamalex

Yes, in a pinch - Edit

I love pho, but I must say that a healthy vegan would not go to this place all of the time. It would need to be more nourishing, more grounded food. It's nice to try it once or if there is nothing else or you have a hankering for pho.

Contributions +195

In a Pinch or the mixed diet crowd..... - Edit

Not bad. I'm harsh and non committal on any non veg restaurants - but alas - am sometimes in mixed company (omni/carni) and must eat somewhere that isn't veg. I'll only do this now when someone else is paying. Anyhoo - on to the review :)
I've passed by this place a thousand times - finally went when my dates carni brother was in town and refused to eat at a veg spot. They had 10 vegan items on a 75 item menu. I went for the Ga Chay and Rice (Vegan chicken), while my sweets had the Pho Tofu. There was nothing to spectacular about either of our dishes, except they were the only ones in the restaurant that didn't smell disgusting. Price was worth it for the portion size, and truthfully, I did like the chicken (vegan) though it wasn't the best veg chick I've had. My sweets Tofu was typical meat restaurant tofu - a little too puffy, too soft and too lacking in flavor. Her veggies that came with it were mediocre but typical for a non organic restaurant. All in all a good experience for a mixed eating crowd. The 2 carnivores in the group raved about their dishes - so in a pinch - I would recommend for those with meat eaters if you can't talk them into one of the many area veg restaurants.
We fed 4 and all had enough to eat and drink for $57 plus tip - not bad. If I ever go back I will most likely try the Chay (vegetarian) Sandwich.
Also have soymilk, teas, coconut milk and fresh juices.

Pros: a few good vegan items, nice fresh drink selection, good pricing

Cons: Lots of meat items around, Smelly meat everywhere, only 10 out of 80 items veg

Bad experience - Edit

I came here a couple times, and the food was decent, and it's nice that they have veggie items marked on the menu, but unfortunately I no longer trust them to know (or care) about what this means. Both times I ordered the vegetarian Banh Mi (sandwich), which automatically comes with soup, but the second time, I asked about the soup, and was told that it was chicken soup (even though they have a vegetarian soup on the menu as well). I asked if I could have it with the vegetarian soup instead (trying to forget the fact that I had eaten the soup the previous time), and the waiter went and talked to the manager, and then came back and apologized and said that they can't really do that (...?) but that they could make an exception just this time. Automatically serving chicken soup with an explicitly vegetarian sandwich was bad enough (since most people wouldn't bother to ask), but not even being willing to change this to vegetarian broth when asked (or understanding why this might make sense) meant that I've never wanted to go back.

Cons: Not as veggie-friendly as they appear, Unreasonable

Return to La Jolla Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pho La Jolla closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1061 times since Apr 2012.