First Review by SnuggleBear

Yum! - Edit

I got the chocolate and hazelnut flavors. My boyfriend got the dairy hazelnut and said they were very similar. Vegan options were in a separate area and included about 6-8 flavors. They spoke English and quickly pointed me to the available options. Totally painless and yummy!

Pros: Clear vegan options

Not bad - Edit

I don't know why but when we went here there were not that many vegan options available- only sorbet, which unfortunately I'm not a big fan of. It was enjoyable enough but I wouldn't rave. Went to other Gelaterias that had many more vegan options.

Pros: cheap, good location

Cons: not many vegan options

non-dairy section - Edit

When we asked about vegan options, we were directed to a separate section that was non-dairy. It included soy based gelatos as well as sorbettos. I went with all sorbettos, cantaloupe, watermelon and lemon. All so refreshing on a hot day and the cantaloupe especially was divine. Dirk got all soy flavors, like hazelnut, etc, which he loved. Definitely our favorite gelateria in Florence.

Pros: several vegan options, soy gelato and sorbetto

My favorite in Florence so far.. but! ... - Edit

I have realized since being in Florence that quite a few places have "dairy free" dark chocolate "gelato" (which is really sorbetto because it's water based, but who cares it's awesome :D). This place, "Perche No!" is DEFINITELY my favorite so far!! They supposedly make it all homemade DAILY, so it makes sense why it tastes so fresh and yummy :)

Just to be clear, I am saying I love the dark chocolate dairy free gelato. I tried the soy vanilla and did not care for it. I even put it with banana and it was.. ok. Wouldn't eat it again. I really don't like soy anyway, especially non-organic soy, but I figured I'd try it.

BUT!!! Soy aside, I was psyched to have me an awesome little gelato shop for my chocolate fixes.. however...I recently learned that sugar is not "vegan" (because they use charred animals bones to process it). SO!! This is now a problem because I believe everyone uses sugar in their gelato and so far, the places I've asked, do not use organic sugar (which would put us vegans in the clear). -Grom said they use brown sugar, which still may or may not be vegan, according to my research.

I asked Perche No! last night and they said they use regular sugar. Now, I don't know what that means exactly because I barely speak Italian yet, nor do I understand it very well, but I'm guessing she meant they use regular old white sugar (not vegan). I would really love to know for sure, because oh man!! I will be here for another month and I want gelato!!!

But, unless I find a gelato shop that uses organic sugar or no sugar, I guess the answer to "perche no?" is "because it's not totally vegan" :'(

Pros: Homemade, fresh daily

Cons: some/all vegan flavors may NOT be vegan

Amazing gelato. - Edit

I stopped in Florence yesterday as part of a backpacking trip round Europe. When I entered Italy I had four goals eat good pizza, pasta, coffee and ice cream. Alas so far my attempts at pizza and pasta have been failures however ice cream has been a huge success! Perche no is a pretty gelato shop offering traditional Ice cream in the heart of Florence. It didn't take me long to find it and when I did I was presently surprised. Not only did the lady who served me know what a vegan was she also informed me that on top of a large selection of soy and rice milk Ice cream flavours they also had vegan/ gluten free cones. I wasted no time in picking 3 flavours to go in my cone (chocolate, vanilla and one that tasted of ferrero rocher!) it all came to about €2. There was no doubt in my mind once I tasted it, that it was the best ice cream I had ever tasted. Honestly well worth a visit you won't be disappointed.

Pros: Cheap, Lots of vegan choice, Friendly staff

Seriously, Perche No? - Edit

I loved this place! Not only it's heavenly to be understood what vegan is but to be able to trust that the ice cream and the cones are vegan! The servers were super friendly and speak English!!! The prices are ok, the big vegan waffle cone is 5 Euros but they give you 3 flavors and it's humongous! the little vegan cone is 3 Euros I think and they still give you 2 big portions. I stayed at the Maxim Hotel, only 2 blocks away from Perche No. I think I gained about 2 pounds from going there almost every day.

I hope to return to Florence soon and I will definitely pay them another visit. I highly recommend them!

Pros: Delicious Ice Cream, Friendly service, Really Vegan

Delightful - Edit

We were staying in Florence for the whole month of May and it was hard to resist visiting Perche No every day. It felt like being back at the seaside as a child, and was an important contributor to a wonderful holiday.

Pros: Great variety of vegan ices, Very friendly and helpful staff

Cons: It is not in Scotland!

Good chocolate and fruit flavors, soy flavors okay - Edit

Perche No claims to be Florence's original gelateria -- it was established in 1939. It's a tiny shop but there are a few benches outside to sit, or take your gelato for a stroll in the beautiful downtown area.

You choose a cone or cup and a price (2 to 10 euro I believe). The front case has all the vegan flavors but also one or two non-vegan so be sure to ask. The chocolate and fruit flavors were good when we went, but the vanilla soy was a miss, sweet and odd taste. Still, I would return. The 3e cones were actually tasty, not cardboard, the place was cheery and most of what we tried was good.

Pros: At least 6 vegan choices, Helpful service

Cons: May sometimes have "misses"

Disappointed - Edit

When I asked which flavors did not have milk (and I said this in Italian) they pointed to a whole separate case. Of course the one flavor that I asked to try was the only flavor with milk in that case. This made me really grumpy because not only am I vegan, but I am highly allergic to milk. So this wasn't a great start.

I tried to ignore this, and still try the vegan gelato flavors. I honestly didn't like themt. To me, the soy hazelnut had no taste, the chocolate was icy and the fruit tasted artificial and too sweet.

I prefer other gelato shops where the fruit flavors taste natural. I would not go back here again.

Pros: vegan options

Cons: not careful, artificial fruit flavors

Perche YES! - Edit

This is a popular gelato spot in the heart of Florence. The staff speaks enough English to help you identify which options are "senza latte" (without milk.) They typically had two soy-based gelatos and several fruity-flavored sorbettos. These were generally kept up in the front case, but there is sometimes a non-vegan flavor up there, so be sure to ask (when I was there, the lavender wasn't vegan but everything else in the front case was.) The have a good variety of flavors and we were able to sample many of them over our four days in Florence.

Many gelato places have sorbetto, granita, or soy/almond/rice gelato available, but this place is supposed to be one of the better establishments in Florence and it certainly didn't disappoint. It's a great way to cap off an evening in the city, so go grab a coni and stroll down to the Arno in the twilight!

Pros: tasty soy gelato, refreshing sorbetto, nice staff

Great options, friendly staff - Edit

This place was wildly busy when we went but we were met with a smile and some healthy helpings of gelato. There were about 8 vegan options and they are right up front. I went two days in a row and had coffee, hazzlenut, and chocolate flavors. Great way to beat the midday heat and I am thankful for these considerations.

Pros: Conveniently in the center of Florence, Vegan Options up front

Return to Florence Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Perche No closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2841 times since Jan 2012.