Peacefood Cafe - Downtown

Contact 212-979-2288

41 E 11th St (at Broadway), New York City, New York, USA, 10003

Sister to the uptown Manhattan location, this one opened in March 2013 and provides a more relaxed atmosphere. Serves all vegan fare inspired by international cuisines, and pastries are baked in-house. An all day dining menu and nightly dinner specials, including raw, juices, smoothies, coffee, and tea. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by HiPB

One of my all time favorites - Edit

Overall, this experience at peacefood exceeded my customer service expectation. Despite my excellent prior visits to peacefood, I had only ever paid attention to the food. I do not eat out often, because it is very expensive for what I usually order—veggies and rice are dirt cheap to cook at home— but it is nice to have someone else cook once in a while. That being said, if I were to change anything about peacefood I would make the portion sizes a tad larger so that I could stretch them out for two meals, or make the entree prices a little cheaper. Another suggestion is, although quite possibly irrelevant, that the lighting was not suitable for photo taking. It was much too dark to take a good photo of the food, and using the flash would have been obnoxious. Dim lights does not hurt their customer service, but it does hurt their instagram-ability. Like I said, not detrimental to their service but it would be great in their social media marketing efforts. But the food is impeccable, the service is great, and I am absolutely going to eat here again!

Pros: service , food

Cons: dim lighting , expensive

Good food - Edit

Nice place, a bit noisy as people seemed to be shouting at each other. The menu changes every week. Difficult to choose as everything was very tempting, you can find fast food and real food. they portions are not too big, though. Dangerous cakes.

Pros: Variety, Real food and fast food, Awesome cakes

Cons: Too noisy

Fantastic menu - Edit

Food for everyone, very difficult to make a decision, luckily I was given guidance by two different waiting staff. I went for the Grilled mushrooms. Large portion, good value but not cheap tasty as and well thought through dish.

Pros: Amazing food, and variety

Cons: Not many cheap options, single dining at the bar

Too many choices! - Edit

Pfc definitely offers too many options, I've always struggled with choosing what to eat (which means I will have to go there again so many times!).
The place itself looks nice, though I found it unbearably loud while sitting in the middle of the room and only slightly better when sitting next to a wall on my next visit. This is something they definitely need to work on. It feels like a bar or a fast-food joint, not a nice restaurant.
On the other hand, all of their food as nothing but impressed me. Let me list what I had the pleasure of enjoying:
* Pfc seitan foccacia: loved everything about it: the bread, the "cheese", the seitan, pesto,... It was just about twice as much as I could eat. Though no big deal, as they will happily wrap up the rest to go. This was a great meal the day after as well.
* Cheeseburger on foccacia: my boyfriend had it, I tried a bit, it was very tasty. Great patty too - he said if nobody had told him it's vegan, he wouldn't have taken it for meat. The foccacia is a nice twist on the usual burger buns, and the onion rings add some great texture.
* Macho nachos: are advertised as an appetizer, but I just made them my entree :) I was quite impressed, they appear to fry their own tortilla chips. Great toppings; maybe there could have been more guacamole, but I love that stuff, so I might not be the average customer.
* Fresh gingerade: if you love ginger (like me), you'll love this.
* Strawberry cheesecake: a true New York cheesecake. Vegan. Tasty. And a huuuuuge slice.
* Mini brownies: some of the best brownies I've had.
* Macaroon: alright, nothing I'd order again.

Price-wise, it's not cheap, but I can't complain.

Pros: extremely tasty food, huge selection, great desserts that you can look at before choosin

Cons: noisy atmosphere

Simply Beautiful - Edit

Good food, great wine, interesting part of town and lovely indoor/outdoor setting. A bit expensive, but well worth it if you have the money to spare.

my favorite place in New York - Edit

It was so nice to step into a peaceful spacious gorgeous restaurant after walking through the craziness of Times Square on St. Patrick's Day.

This was my favorite meal in New York so far. I had the pan seared unchicken filet with fava beans for 15.50. It was served with a generous serving of perfectly cooked kale and it was outstanding.

My son loved his Pfc unchicken basket and my husband his macho nachos.

For dessert we shared the peanut butter cheesecake which was out of this world.

The service was fast and oh so friendly. I just loved this place!

Pros: spacious gorgeous atmosphere, fast friendly service, delicious food.

Cosy Cafe - Edit

The menu is massive! So much to choose from plus a whole specials menu and a massive glass case full of vegan desserts! The food was delicious, service was efficient and friendly and the cafe it self is really nicely laid out. Would go back again and again!

Pros: Tasty Food, All Vegan , Loads of Dessert Options

Tasty food, friendly staff, 5 star service - Edit

I highly recommend you try the food here / eat here as not only the food is phenomenal, but the cafe is all in all. So if you're ever in the Big Apple or looking for a bite, or if you live in NYC, then I definitely recommend you check this place out. They have an entire vegan bakery (AMAZING foods--I tried their chocolate chip cookies and brownie--some of the most delicious food I've tasted in my life.) One of the best vegan restaurants in NYC for sure, maybe even in the world. I had a conversation with one of the waitresses about how she turned vegan years ago and why she moved to NYC. The staff here are very kind and check up on you often to see if you want anything else. I've had the nuggets here, fries (chickpea I think) with their special chipotle sauce which was out of this world. My tastebuds were satisfied, no doubt about that. I've also tried the vegan pizza here with daiya cheese which was phenomenal. The atmosphere is also very cozy, with just enough space for a large crowd--but not too 'space-y' /too much space. Overall, amazing food, friendly staff, relaxed vibes, casual atmosphere... definitely take a bite here.

Pros: Tasty food , Lovely staff, Casual atmosphere

Awesome!! - Edit

I visited Peacefood Cafe years ago in the UWS, and just thought it was mediocre at best. However, we recently visited the 11th Street location and it was totally AMAZING! There menu was much more extensive than I remembered. There were two specials menus and one standard menu. My husband and I had trouble figuring out what to order because we wanted to try everything! If I recall correctly, the most expensive menu item was $15.50.

We ordered the linguine with clam sauce and the un-chicken filet, both specials. My favorite was the linguine. I haven't had a dish like that in several years, since before I went veg. The mushrooms used had a very clam chowder consistency, and I don't know how they got the flavor to match! The filet was also excellent. We had to run to a concert nearby, otherwise we could have stayed for hours trying more food. I can't wait to come back here!!!

Great vegan cafe - Edit

Great menu selection, and awesome dessert case. Too many to choose from. We wanted to order at least 5, but finally decided on just two. Good food. Was the first time I'd ever had Chinese dumpling soup, because I'd never previously trusted the broth to be vegan. I was just visiting NY, but wish I could go back to order more things off the menu... and dessert!

Pros: Quick service, Amazing dessert selection

100% Vegan and 100% Wonderful - Edit

I took my high school daughter and her friend to Peacefood, my daughter is used to me draging her vegan resturant - this was her friends first vegan Resturant and they both so thrilled with the variety but more importantly how it all tasted. They loved it.
Wonderful variety of menu items - we went "family style" so to try many items because so many looked so great.

We really enjoyed the Asian Greens, Chickpea Fries - full of great Indian spices and side cream sauce, Dumplings, and the Mediterranean Panini sandwiches - great blend of flavors!
Number one dessert was the Rasberry jam Spelt Crumb bar - boosting with flavor - share! The Carrot Cake was amazing too, just more filling.
What do we wished we tried as they went by....the Marco Nacho's, Wonton Soup, and mini brownies

I just wish there was one of these in Boston

Pros: Variety and flavors, Fresh and vibrant , Friendly staff and diners

Great - Edit

Very modern restaurant with a very good atmosphere and the staff is very friendly, kind and helpful. They do offer a large variety of dishes, also raw dishes. I only can recommend it!

Vegan Heaven - Edit

I was so excited when I found out Peacefood Cafe opened a second, downtown location. This space is roomier and filled with light, though the same phenomenal menu from uptown in available at the downtown location. The food and service are excellent. I keep returning to Peacefood because the food is among the best vegan food I have ever tasted and I am filled with such positive vibes in their space. The vegan dessert selection is the best in NYC. If you go for brunch, definitely order the Brazilian nut chai and vegan cinnamon bun (if available). Whenever I make plans to go out to eat, Peacefood Cafe is the first restaurant that comes to mind because it is divine.

Pros: Vegan Desserts, Ambiance, Service

Best "chicken" - Edit

I'm writing this review a little late, about a week after eating here, but I felt it was worth it. This place has some of the BEST "chicken" I've ever had. I had the fried chicken with mashed potatoes entree, and it was not to be missed. The chickpea fries appetizer was not quite as good, but still quite tasty.

Fave food in NY- approachable for non-veg friends - Edit

Peacefood is my one of my favorite restaurants in the city. The environment is mad relaxed and there is food for every mood: raw pizza, salads, chickpea fries, burgers, green smoothies, and the most delicious desserts. You must try their grasshopper ice cream sandwich.

This is also one of the most approachable vegan restaurants in the city for non-vegetarians, as well. They have more "adventurous" dishes for dedicated vegans as well as twists on more traditional foods ("safer" options for non-veg, or for those of us craving comfort favorites) like mock chicken nuggets.

The service here is pretty fast- don't get discouraged if there is a line when you walk in- and the prices are not too bad given the quality of ingredients and its location. At the front, they have vegan cookbooks, mags, and guidebooks to veg restaurants in NYC.

Pros: excellent food, good value, nice vibe

Great dinner for a date or crowd of non-veg - Edit

We have been to the uptown location before with other vegans. This was a dinner where more people non-veg kept showing up for an event later in the evening. The food was fantastic. We loved the pot pie, seasonal squash dish -excellent potatoes, un-chicken parm and Asian salad greens Salad. The salad fed 4 as a small appetizer. Also, we ordered the asian dumplings. Great.

Our one friend ordered the hot chocolate and no idea what the server meant when he asked what kind of milk? My friend had no idea we were eating at a vegan place. He loved the hot chocolate. Other friends thought the ginger latte was one of the best ever.

There is GF, vegan and raw choices. No alcohol.

We went back for desserts and everyone was VERY happy.

Easy to get to by public transportation. They can handle a group of 10. Very nice, albeit close, ambience. Can be a little loud. Cheap parking on 5th Ave between 14 & 15th.

Very nice service. Feel free to ask someone who isn't your server, if you need something quickly. Our server was fine, but we found we were late and needed to grab the check and go. All the other staff chipped in and got us out the door. Also, when we came back for desserts, staff grabbed chairs and helped get everyone seated quickly.

Pros: Diverse menu, Friendly Ambience, Great Flavor

Cons: Can be a little loud

Love the food here - Edit

I love this restaurant to dine-in or for takeout. You have to try the chickpea fries, this dish alone is worth a visit to Peacefood.

Pros: Chickpea Fries, Anything on the Menu, Excellent Vegan Options

Cons: Service is spotty, No alcohol on the menu, A bit pricey

Best meal out since going vegan! - Edit

OK, for starters- I am an unhealthy vegan, so I love carby foods, fatty foods, treats, cakes blabla....

Well, this place rocked my world and I just couldn't get over how much I enjoyed the food. It was heaving with locals which I love, so we waited about 10/15 mins to be seated, no worries. My other half had a salad with chick'n which was great (I find it hard to get excited about salad, but this one was seasoned and flavoured so well).
I decided to be greedy and go for their pasta dish, which was chick'n fillets (TWO OF THEM!) smothered in Daiya vegan cheese, on top of a bed of creamy tomato pasta (there were a few veggies thrown in to make me feel slightly less guilty about my indulgence).
If you are looking for a true replacement meal to your old days of meat and dairy- this is it. I could have served it to meaty friends who wouldn't have known the difference...

Although I was stuffed, I couldn't leave without a pudding having seem them all by the door on the way in. I had cheesecake and it was out of this world- creamy, great crumble base and gorgeous strawberry topping.
we will be heading back to NY and this place will be top of our priority list!

Pros: everything!!!!

Cons: I don't live near it

100% vegan 100% vegan 100% awesome 100% awesome - Edit

This place is 100% vegan, but you might not believe it! As soon as you walk in, the atmosphere is great. The lighting is just right, the seating is comfortable and modern, the decor is warm and hip, the service is prompt and pleasant, the baked goods are plentiful and eye-appealing, and the espresso machine is humming and brewing.

If you go to their website, you may find the menu slightly dull and cliche (pizza, salad, sandwiches), but do not let it fool you. The freshness of their menu ingredients leads to a small menu. However, they also have 2 pages of menu specials whenever you go in - the ones in addition to what's listed (staples). For example: roasted squash with gravy and sautéed cauliflower, nachos, a burrito-bowl style dish that looked oh so beautiful, "crab" cakes, pasta dishes, golden beet salad, wonton soup, etc. Those were just half of the specials!

As for the food's flavor - it's fabulous, but, in my opinion, a bit salty. Also, some of the food, although vegan, be careful about fat and calories if you are counting. Don't get me wrong, it's still healthier than non-vegan alternatives, but just don't kid yourself that it's "diet" or "low-calorie" food. It's free of cruelty and incredibly flavorful, though! The food is excellent.

I love that they have fresh juices, smoothies, teas and coffee/ espresso drinks, too. They make perfect dessert choices, along with the 3 dozen baked and raw desserts in the case. Did you know they make donuts? Did you know they make croissants? Did you know they make a hybrid between a donut and croissant that is ridiculously delicious? I almost fell over after I bit into it - I couldn't believe it was so good…. Ham and cheese croissant - vegan? Oh yes. Tiramisu - vegan? It's very good, but, not true to the tiramisu flavors I had hoped to eat. Still, very tasty!!!!!! They also have gluten-free cookies and quick breads.

The staff here in the front and back all seem happy and laid back, despite the fast paced environment. Everyone is really nice - probably because vegan establishments have that effect on people????

I love this place and can't wait to go back!

Pros: Vegan croissants, donuts, dessert, Daily vegan specials, Vegan lattes

Cons: Too many choices, Some food can be salty, Will fatten me up - too tasty

Even better than UWS - Edit

After enjoying the delicious food at Peacefood's UWS locations, I was thrilled to discover that they had another right near my work. I ate the quinoa salad, which was wonderful and came with a full avocado right on top. The ambiance is nicer than the UWS version, with more space and more natural light. The baked goods are all fantastic. I recommend the raspberry crumb bar or the carrot cake.

Pros: environment, food

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Peacefood Cafe - Downtown closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.