Palm Greens Cafe

Contact 760-864-9900

611 S Palm Canyon Dr 6 (at btwn Dunes and Ramon), Palm Springs, California, USA, 92264

Serves meat, vegan options available. Large vegetarian menu plus fish and poultry. Juices and smoothies, soups, sandwiches, hot meals, salads, desserts, snacks, and party platters. Has gluten free. Casual with Wi-Fi access.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by

Great Vegan Options - Edit

We've eaten here a few times and think it's fantastic!

We've tried a variety of dishes.

Breakfast: The blueberry buckwheat pancakes were great with maple syrup and fresh fruit. The vegan French toast was awesome. Best of all was the $15 breakfast platter: Scrambled tofu, smoked tempeh, pancakes with fruit and syrup. I added an extra sausage too. Epic!

Dinner: Again, the food was great. A special mention to the bhan mi sliders. They may sound like a secondary character from Star Wars but they're actually spicy mini tofu burgers which taste amazing.

The spinach lasagne was great and very creamy. We also had both versions of the Asian bowl (one with teriyaki and the other with peanut sauce). Both were great. The tofu hot dogs were also really nice. For dessert the tiramisu and chocolate brownie were fantastic. The strawberry tofu cheesecake was the only negative as it was a bit bland.

All in, we've really enjoyed eating at Palm Greens. The only negative is the cost. It does seem to be expensive compared to anywhere else that we've eaten. The equivalent food at 'Vegan Pizza' in Anaheim is less than half of the cost (see my separate review for that place).

Pros: Great Vegan Choices, Good for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, Laid-back Service

Cons: Quite Expensive, Serves Meat

Check your bill very carefully! - Edit

We have been in Palm Springs for two weeks, and have eaten here three times. The first time was at lunch, had a good experience. At that time, we noticed a flyer on each table advertising a Valentine's Day special...buy one "entree" and receive the second at 50% off, plus a complimentary vegan dessert. This offer was advertised as good from 2/12 - 2/14. On Friday, 2/12, we went there for an early dinner (around 4:30), and I ordered the vegan lasagna, while my husband ordered a sandwich. We also each had a glass of wine. The food was great. The menu clearly states that wine is half off between 4 and 6 pm. When the check arrived, the wine was at full price, but since we had gotten the V-Day special, we assumed that the wine special did not apply. Today, 2/14, we returned for dinner. The restaurant was packed with couples. Again I ordered the vegan lasagna, my husband ordered a sandwich, and we each got a glass of wine. Again, the food was great, but when we had finished, the waiter brought the check, and I asked about the V-Day dessert. To my surprise, he told me that the special didn't apply, because my husband had ordered a sandwich. I replied that we had had the same situation on Friday, and the special HAD applied, and half the sandwich price ($7 less than my lasagna) had been taken off. The waiter said that the owner had been in, and had insisted that the special only applied to ENTREES. Then I realized that we had also been charged full price for the wine, although the check was clearly timed at 5:39 pm. I queried that, and he told me that he usually worked days, so he knew nothing about that! He did eventually change the check to reflect the 50% reduction on the wine. But when I once again looked at the menu, I realized that although the V-Day special said "Buy one entree," there was nothing on the menu called an entree. The category that apparently applied is called "Bowls & Plates." The fact that we were not told that we needed to order TWO items from this category rather than one and a sandwich was very frustrating. Then to be charged full price for wine during a half price time that occurs EVERY day was just the straw that broke the camel's back. We enjoy their food, but do not like being cheated. We have two more weeks in town, but we will not go back to Palm Greens.
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 14, 2016

Pros: Good food

Cons: Very deceptive , Clueless waiters

Healthy and delicious meal and helpful staff - Edit

A great place in Palm Springs where you can eat with vegetarian friends and/or with your omnivore friends or family. The cafe done in warn tones with booths and tables. We started with happy hour wine and the Half Roasted Cauliflower. The Cauliflower was prepared perfectly and came with four yummy dipping sauces. For dinner my omnivore companion had the Wild Halibut and found it delicious, she liked the way they grilled it (if a bit dry). More importantly, she had several requests to adjust the sides to her liking and they were very accommodating. I had the Veggie Dumpling Pho. It was a delicious mixture of veggies and dumplings in a wonderful broth.
We felt like we both had a healthy meal in a comfortable setting. We will be back.

Pros: warm atmosphere for a cafe, options for vegans, vegetarians and omnivores, friendly and helpful staff

Enjoyable Place - Edit

Had a hard time deciding what to have. Ended up with a big vegan Caesar salad and it was very good. Very friendly service. Would go again to try something new.

Pros: Friendly service. , Large selection. , Serve Zevia soda.

Cons: Fairly Pricey. , Got cookies to go but were pretty dry.

WOW - Edit

I just recently found this place and have only had one dish. The falafel wrap with rice paper. Can't wait to go back. (We live in Seattle so that might take some time) The place is great. It's clean and nicely decorated. The wait staff is friendly. They have stuff for those "other" people to eat also, so my husband can come along.

Pros: fresh food, Lots of choices, well presented plates

Cons: only in Palm Springs, small could get too busy

Was Good - Edit

We enjoyed breakfast in the clean breezeway. We ordered 4 vegan dishes to get a good variety and had more than enough food. The service was good and friendly. We will visit again.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 03, 2015

Pros: Vegan options

Bummer - Edit

I was very disappointed with my recent visit! I really wanted biscuits & gravy but they were out of gravy? What?! How does this happen? Aren't you a restaurant? Couldn't more be made?! I also have an almond allergy so the second thing I ordered was made with almond milk (French toast). There wasn't even a mention of maybe the could exchange soy for me! I settled for Huevos made vegan because I had to decide quickly. They were ok but came with some sautéed veggies ( of which I have an allergy to squash). Not worth the money! Service was slow & lacking.

Pros: many vegan options

Cons: out of menu items, unable to make substitutions

Below Average - Edit

We were a party of 4 and ordered 4 mains, 3 first courses, and 2 drinks. My "almond bowl" dish tasted fine, but the portion was rather small. The vegan lasagna dish was barely edible because it was so over-salted. The wonton noodle "pho" dish looked terrible, with limp, overcooked veggies and an overall bland white look. I didn't taste the Indian dish.

Regarding the starters, the roasted cauliflower was also overcooked, while the artichoke was OK.

Prices were high, especially considering the average to below-average quality.

Palm Springs is lacking in veggie/vegan options, and our non-veggie friends chose this place, as it was the only sit-down place. It was a mistake.
Updated from previous review on Monday February 02, 2015

Pros: only sit-down restaurant w/veggie dishes

Cons: overcooked food, high prices

Worked for us - Edit

My wife and I recently gave Palm Greens a first time try on a recommendation from a friend. (This is after reading a horror story review).

For us we had a very pleasant dinner. Not real big on atmosphere but our waiter was very polite, good with suggestions and we enjoyed our meals very much.

We wanted to try their reuben but since we knew that's what we'd be eating the next day at Native Cafe I went for Vegan Punjabi Chhole and my wife had the stir fry. Nothing over the top but flavorful and well presented. We would definitely go there again next time we visit.

Never got our food after 1.25 hours - Edit

Such a huge disappointment and waste of precious getaway time, when my husband and I (both vegans) convinced an omnivore friend who was visiting from New York to go to Palm Greens for brunch on Mother's Day. We arrived, placed our order at the counter for what sounded like wonderful vegan breakfast food, sat down with our coffee and iced tea, and chatted. After about half an hour, we started wondering what was taking so long. Then we noticed that the three or four other tables didn't have food, either. After about 45 minutes since ordering, my husband inquired at the counter about our orders, and found out that THEY HAD NEVER SENT OUR ORDERS TO THE KITCHEN. Same for all the other customers who were sitting there without food!
At that point they jumped into action, and food starting trickling out of the kitchen, and soon, every other table had their food, including people who had come in after us. My husband inquired again, now at least 1 hour and 15 minutes since we'd initially ordered, and our food still wasn't ready (and I suspect they had lost our orders yet again, and weren't even making it), so we asked for our money back, and we left.
I'm just shocked that a restaurant can be operated so spectacularly badly that the counter staff did not notice that no food was coming out of the kitchen. Nor did they even offer us a piece of toast to tide us over, or some other gesture to show that they cared at all that they threw a wrench in our Sunday morning.
I really try to support vegan-friendly restaurants and overlook less-than-wonderful service, but there is simply no excuse for treating people this way.

Cons: Never got our food, Offered us nothing to tide us over

The best in the west - Edit

This is an update. This used to be my favorite place until they started serving meat. They still have vegan options, but they are more limited, and it just doesn't feel the same. I still like their brownies. old review: "This is the best restaurant in the desert. Everything about this little place is positive. The owners are always there, cheerful, friendly and generous. They are always "cooking up" a new recipe to honor their patrons desires. I am vegan, mostly raw, and don't do soy or wheat. Most places, even vegan, are difficult. But not Palm Greens. They are now doing all their desserts gluten free and they are all delish. Their brownies are the best on the planet. They are very flexible with their menu, allowing substitutions if need be. I love the fact that I have so many choices here. And every dish I have had has been scrumptious. And beautifully presented. And reasonably priced. Their food is organic and produce very fresh and beutiful. I believe that they are going to start opening for dinner soon.
Updated from previous review on Thursday January 14, 2010

Pros: Fabulous food, Options for every palate, Wonderful service

Cons: only open for lunch

Yummy lunch! - Edit

My husband and I both opted for the vegan haystack for lunch and it was GREAT! I'd never had anything with pickled jalapenos on it and was a little iffy, but I loved it! The bread they used for the buns was another highlight! We went for a late lunch and it wasn't crowded at all, the service was friendly, and our food came fast. I would love to go back for breakfast or a smoothie sometime!

Pros: great sandwhich, fast service

Cons: a little pricey

health in the desert - Edit

Glad to find a healthy place with so many options!! The desert doesn't have great options for vegans or vegetarians. Love the many vegan choices here and the smoothies were super! The place is really cute too. Gluten free options were also very much appreciated. We are excited to return to try something different next time, the sandwiches we tried were huge and hearty, filled with lots of healthy goodies, a great find!

little gem in the desert - Edit

I ate twice at the palm greens cafe while stying in the city. Altough it is not a vegetarian/vegan place, it offers a lot of vegan friendly food and even raw food. The food I had was really good, and the service was great.

Pros: raw food, vegan, tasty

Cons: no coffee in the tiramisu

A saving grace in Palm Springs - Edit

We had rented a home in Palm Springs for three weeks and finally found Palm Greens at the end of our stay. We were so grateful for finally finding GOOD vegetarian food in PS we ate there three times one day. Didn't have time to try every veg offering on the menu but we definitely would have. Delicious!

Pros: old school veg choices, normal portion sizes, unpretensious staff

Cons: no outdoor seating

Support Vegan Friendly Establishments - Edit

If your ever in Indo area, or passing through going to Coachella Valley, for music venue or what not, I highly recommend this vegan friendly joint, and every Thursday i believe the whole main street has a street fair with art and food, big weird art scene there, but back to the Cafe review, food was excellent when twice , it was so good. The chief has weekly specials, the week i popped in there they where serving vegan lasagna, I rarely see this dish made vegan, so i tried it, it was very good> Dinner was so good, i went the next morning for the buckwheat pancakes- it isnt hype at all- those pancakes where dang good.

the place closes mad early, like 6pm i believe, and there very cool thrift store hunting to do in this town.

Pros: friendly staff, complex, unique dishes, atmosphere

Cons: store hours, slightly pricey

Fantastically delectable! 10 cows up!! - Edit

This cafe should get 10 stars/cows (not four)! The flavors are so mouth-wateringly delicious, especially the vegan spinach lasagna (to die for!), Indonesian salad with tempeh (oh so good!), lavendar lemonade and the brownies. I've been vegetarian most of my life, and this is the best vegan/vegetarian food I've ever eaten in a cafe. The tastes are so rich & detailed, but it's healthy fare! Amazing!! The prices are certainly reasonable for all the care & top-quality ingredients they use, and the cafe atmosphere is inviting & warm, not to mention tastefully decorated. I've only been here once, but I boldly recommend it as a must-go-to, if you're vegan or vegetarian, or even if you simply love spectacular food. The service is friendly, the food is crazily amazing, and you'd impress anyone by taking them here for the first time. I can't wait to go back & try more dishes! If I was rich, I'd absolutely hire this owner Jeff(?) to make all my meals. Love, love, love it!

What Happen?! - Edit

What happened to this restaurant?! I travel from the Pacific Northwest through Palm Springs every year on business and last spring I had an incredible meal here. This year, I discover when I walked into the restaurant that now they serve meat! As a vegetarian I am not willing to eat there anymore because you can smell the "flesh" that they are cooking in the kitchen. They should not even be listed on a vegetarian/vegan site. A previous comment about "for all intensive purposes this as a vegan restaurant" is a joke. How delusional is that comment! The cross contamination of animal waste into the food chain is well known in the food industry no matter what the owners of this restaurant try to make you believe. Just one look at the pictures posted on this site is evident of the "over-cooked", brown food that they now serve here. Where are the colors of the rainbow!? I encourage everyone to stay true to businesses that are truly vegetarian/vegan. There is another restaurant in the area that is true and never waivers in their conscious commitment to the cause. It is evident by their longevity, huge success and growth. Additionally, the owners responded nastily when I questioned their shift from an obviously conscious menu to one with meat. It was a very disappointing experience. OBVIOUSLY they are confused with what they want to contribute to keeping the planet healthy!

2 Responses

Awesome vegan-friendly cafe! - Edit

We were in Palm Springs area one weekend in August to attend a convention and were looking for a vegan place to eat. Well, we eat at Native Foods all the time back home so I thought why not look for another place to break the pace.

I went to Happy Cow and found this place. Some reviews were negative but I wanted to experience it myself. We thought it was AWESOME and were so glad to try it instead of following negative advice.

The staff were very helpful and friendly. They have an extensive knowledge of veganism and health food. They can point out which ones are vegan and not vegan and can recommend a vegan alternative such as vegan cheese in the dishes we ordered. What a service!

We could not try a lot of things we wanted to try from their menu but we ate as much as we wanted in 2 visits. Everything we tried were very tasty and low in oil (the way I cook at home). The ones we tried are: Grilled Tempeh Reuben sandwich with miso soup, Vegan Blueberry Buckwheat pancakes, Huevos Rancheros with tofu scramble(served with sauteed spinach, mushrooms, onions, garlic), Breakfast burrito with taste like bacon strips. Drinks: Iced Chai Latte(with soy milk, hhmmm yum!) and organic coffee( very good tasting coffee). Dessert and pastry: Vegan gluten free brownies...it was so goood!

The atmosphere was warm and positive. I love the Asian style decorations with window-like wood carving, and Indian/Nepalese style art display on the ceiling and walls. The restaurant is clean with some comfortable booth on the right side and high chairs and dining table setting on the left side. There were 3 big flat screen TV displaying interesting videos (with turned down volume).

The prices are high but this is Palm Springs near downtown where if I compare with other restaurants over there, I think they are comparable prices.

I would have rated 5 cows for this restaurant but the max is only 4 cows for a vegetarian restaurant (not all vegan).
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 15, 2010

Pros: Tasty dishes, Friendly Staff, Healthy, low oil

Cons: without GPS may be hard to find

Fantastic Organic Vegan-Friendly - Edit

I just came back from lunch and had to write a review; This place is amazing. Super-friendly and genuinely helpful staff. The ambiance is nice, open, clean. Their menu is full of options for vegetarians and vegans. Many of the non-vegan menu items can be easily changed to accommodate vegans without ruining the dish itself. I had the salad sampler and BOY was there a lot to sample. From the Tofu "egg" salad, the sweet potato salad, the Faux "Tuna" salad... it was so delicious and filling. Their apple blueberry cobbler was great, too. We'll be back over the next few days to try out all of the amazing items.

I'll say this: Some of the previous comments on here (about it not being 100% organic or gluten free, etc...) seem highly unwarranted. They were SO careful to point out what was and what wasn't organic/gluten free. Furthermore, as a vegan, I was intimidated and leary of going because it's listed as "Veggie Friendly" but that's the understatement of the year. This place is nearly vegan for all practical purposes.

Pros: Delicious Food, Super Friendly Staff, Generous Portions for reasonable price

Cons: Limited hours in the off season, We don't have one back in my home town.

Great place, helpful chefs - Edit

We are low fat vegans (eat no oil) and eating out is always a challenge. We came to Palm Springs on vacation and decided to give Palm Greens Cafe a roll when we saw on their website that they are a "deep fryer free zone". We asked for a recommendation and one of the chefs recommended a macro plate that wasn't even on the menu and hooked it up oil free and with the salsa it was fantastic. Also, the lavender lemonade is great.

Pros: macro bowl, will customize, open kitchen, great chefs

& t all it seems - Edit

I was excited at first about the advertised 'all organic' but found out that's not so. I agree with the other review that you have to watch out if what you eat matters. You have to ask about every single ingredient for that day and good luck if told the truth. Staff is nice but for what you get it's way too expensive and the decorations ... well, None. Very outdated and somewhat uncomfortable. All in all though, they try to bring something healthy to the area.

Pros: Good effort, Vegetarian, Nice staff

Cons: Ingredients not always what's advertised, Too expensive, uncomfortable

Caution - Edit

Be careful about staff substituting Non organic ingredients into what has been promoted as organic.
Other ingredients re: glutein free may also be in question at times.

Pros: friendly staff, some organic

Cons: not trustworthy, uncomfortable chairs

Gregorio My staff does not replaces organic with nonorganic. If it says it is gluten free it is. I do all the baking here and your review implies that I am a liar. I would never sell something as gluten free if it was not so. I have a large following of people with celiac disease and for you to imply that I would harm them is very unfair. You should be ashamed of your lies. I question who you are and what your true motives are. Sounds like you have a few issues of your own to work through-

Loved it - Edit

Loved this place. It was filled with locals and I overheard some guys running in to each other and saying how they could eat here every day. The owner was there, great guy, very passionate about the food. I had the chicken caesar salad and it was awesome ... even says on the menu that the home made caesar dressing is top secret and to not even ask for the recipe! had AMAZING fresh lavender lemonade .. yum. my husband had their fresh made "slurpees" with watermelon and lime ... yum yum! Wish we were in town longer to try more plates.

Good food here - Edit

The atmosphere is nice, the counter staff helpful and friendly, and the food was tasty. I had one of the wraps and the quality was good. My only complaint is the price: $9.95 for a wrap and a small bowl of miso soup. It just seems like a lot of money for what you get, but the prices are similar to the other veggie places I've been to in Palm Springs.

Pros: Food quality

Cons: Value

Nice Find - Edit

Had lunch here once, plus a takeaway meal...not mindblowing, but good basics. Beware the menu if you are vegan, it is not always noted when a food contains egg or cheese (such as their homemade burger options). Place is clean, though the decor is outdated 80's style Asian. Owners are very present, super friendly and will answer any question.

Awesome! - Edit

This tucked away veggie/vegan cafe open about 4 months ago and it is just excellent! The menu is diverse and all items are super-fresh. I had the cuban black bean soup,lential falafel, tofu cheesecake, breakfast bowl and menage a trois salad. I've never gone to the same restaurant 3 times while on vacay, but I did this time. The decor is hip,clean, relaxing, with an Asian theme. The order-at-the-counter service is just
the best. Jeff and his staff make their guests feel right at home. They will explain all the items that you have questions about. Def. do not miss this place, if you are any
where near Palm Springs. It's right on the main street, with
plenty of free parking. I lived in PS 30 years ago but we never had anything like the PGC. It's about time!
Pleace and all good,
Paul

Pros: Quality, Price, Service

Cons: Limited Dinner Items, No Sign on the Street

Nice! - Edit

We tried to make it to the grand opening but didn't realize the times. So, we went the next day for lunch. It is in a strip mall across from a Chevron. It's a quaint place with an Asian decor. The owners are super nice! We forgot our bike lock and they were really nice and let us bring them in. They have both vegetarian and vegan options on all the items, you just have to tell them. I had the Zen Hen sandwich. The bread was a whole wheat sunflower seed which was baked fresh that morning, as are the other choices. The sandwich consisted of a soy patty with tomato, lettuce, red onion, mustard, pickles, and your choice of regular mayo or veganaise. The Zen Hen comes with caraway coleslaw, which was fantastic! My husband had the Budda wrap. This is a tofu eggless salad with greens/veggies and fresh mint. They also have about 8 dipping sauces to choose from. They make their own lemonade which is really refreshing! The prices were very reasonable. Our total came to less that 20 bucks for the both of us. We will definitely come back next time we go to Palm Springs.

Pros: Great prices, Yummy food, Great people

Cons: Hours of operation

Return to Palm Springs Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Palm Greens Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5359 times since Aug 2008.