Om Vegetarian - Wales Arcade

Contact 03-96630062

277 Collins St , Melbourne, Victoria, 3000

Simple Indian food, including an all-you-can-eat option that includes curry, rice and naan and can be made vegan on request. A few other items such as papadam available for purchase separately. Several outlets in Melbourne, this one is inside a mall. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by Kittybiscuit

Tasty Curry & Naan - Edit

Good find in the middle of the city, $6.50 all you can eat. The staff are lovely, naans are fresh and curries are hot, not really spicy enough but not a problem. Will be going back!

Pros: 3 Types of curries, Vegan Naan

Cons: Little cramped

Basic but good - Edit

This hidden restaurant is worth the search. The food was basic - lentils, a veg. dish, rice and naan. All you can eat. Although vegetarian they will provide vegan. The only inexpensive food we found in Melbourne.

Pros: price, service

cheap and comforting - Edit

At $6.50 for all-you-can eat (in 45 minutes) dahl, curry, rice, and fresh naan, there's not much room to complain.

They offer a vegan thali - naan without butter and a different version of the curry which, every time I've been, has been a few chunks of potato floating in a very watery gravy. Could do with another couple of veggies in there but, hey, I said at that price you can't complain and there I go! What a hater! I've always found the dahl quite hearty and satisfyingly spiced. The naan is a soft and fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside - perfect!

Not an exciting culinary experience but if you're starving in the city, forgot your packed lunch, feeling dirt poor but can still spare $6.50 for a feed, you won't regret it.

Cheap but you get the standard you pay for - Edit

I realised while I was here tonight that I hadn't reviewed this place, which, like a lot of customers, I go to regularly because of its $6.50 all-you-can-eat buffet. It has to be noted that there are signs saying that there is a maximum sitting time of 45 minutes, so there are limits. There are also no refills after 8:30 pm. The food is cheap and this is great, even if the meal is rather ordinary - a curry, dhal, rice and naan. For this reason you might say there's not much room to complain but I think we can recognise what could be improved. One thing I've noticed over time is that you are a bit disadvantaged if you're vegan. Although they offer a vegan meal on request, this often takes significantly longer than the non-vegan version because they prepare the vegan naan specially, cutting into your 45 minute). (It takes longer to leave *off* the butter?) I've found myself sitting for some time watching a lot of people who didn't order a vegan version being served their meal while I wait. I've had the samosas here (served with chilli jam) and they're OK but last time I went in I was told (contrary to previous responses) that they weren't vegan. I didn't have one but I'm not quite convinced of this and will follow it up. Decor is plain, as the eatery is located in a small food court, and formica tables are closely spaced. If you are there late, as I have been on occasion, you're likely to be swept out, asked to move tables so the staff can clean. I'll continue to come here because it's cheap and I like the naan, but I tend to leave a bit of a break between visits.

Pros: Cheap all-you-can eat option, Vegan naan (not an option at most places)

Cons: Food not great, Delay for vegans

Ok, but could be better - Edit

It is very cheap and I really want to support local vegetarian restaurants but I find that every time I visit I'm disappointed in the curries.
The naan is always tasty and I like that they serve the meal in a thali. I do think the vegetables are often watered down and lack flavour. They offer a fixed menu of 2 curries, rice and naan. I don't have an issue with a fixed menu but those 2 curries need to taste better or they need to offer 3 curries and give you an option of choosing 2.
I'll probably go back in a few months to see if it has improved but if the food was tastier I'd be eating here once a week.

Pros: Naan, Cheap

Cons: Lack of flavour in curries

Return to Melbourne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Om Vegetarian - Wales Arcade closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.