Oh Se Gae Hyang

Contact 02-7357171

14-5 Insa-dong 12-gil, Jongno-gu, Seoul, South Korea,

Seoul vegan restaurant owned by well-known Korean vegetarian food company, Vegifood. 60-seats, Korean style seating. Each 12 tables introduce the world 12 Saints' wise sayings and their pictures. Food is mostly Korean and Chinese with a few pasta and salad dishes. No garlic or green onion. Directions: Walk right to the end of Insadong-Gil 12 which does not appear on Google Map. Open Mon-Fri 11:30am-3:30pm, Mon-Fri 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-9:00pm. Last orders 30 minutes before closing.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Western, Korean

First Review by craigmc

Cozy, affordable, and traditional - Edit

EASY DIRECTIONS
It's a 3 minute walk from Exit 6 of Anguk Station, line 3 (안국역). No taxi or bus needed!

Head down the alley way/ market area right outside Exit 6, keep walking towards Insa Hostel (인사호스텔), and you'll find it!

Pros: Affordable and yummy, Similar to Loving Hut, Savory flavors with lots of side dishes

Cons: Uncomfortable floor seating, Small meat portion

pretty good - Edit

for 15000krw you can get a pretty huge meal capable of feeding a big person. i had an order of dumplings and an order of the soft tofu in a boiling crock pot. lots of side dishes come unexpectedly with. staff does not care you're there at all. seating is not good for larger people - im in shape at 90 kg.

Pros: portion quantity, speed of delivery

Cons: bad seating, staff

Quite ok, but a number of dishes contain onion &/or garlic - Edit

The dishes are quite ok in taste, but some dishes can be quite salty. I was recommended by my friends, but maybe because of the good reviews, I felt the food were not as tasty as claimed to be. A number of dishes also have onion and/or garlic.

Pros: Quite a lot of variety

Cons: Can be quite salty

very good ! - Edit

I went there ince and tried a korean BBQ, the proteinrich food was amazing. Kimchi was awesome too. Almost everything was really tasty. It's not really expensive but not cheap either. The only negative thing i found was that the rice was not really good to eat...

Pros: All vegan, Nice staff

Best in insadong korea - Edit

We went there 3x and tried most of their food. Thumbs up! Especially the kimchi stew. So authentic and tasty. In singapore can't get any korean food near that standard at all. I missed my korea trip partly because I miss the food there. Will def come back.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-16

I highly recommend their pumpkin side dish! - Edit

The secluded area where Oh Se Gae Hyang resides makes me feel like I found a hidden gem. The overall atmosphere of the place feels very homely and traditional, as customers are required to take of their shoes and sit down on the floor. There are numerous plants that adorn the place, and what's even better is that they have a glass ceiling in one spot that allows the sunlight to fall down, so it really has a nature vibe as well!

Their menu offers from Western-style food to Korean cuisine. Our orders were accompanied with a lot of side dishes. I had the tofu bibimbap which is very simple and filling, while my dad had their mushroom and noodle soup. He complimented on how light and flavorful the broth is. We also ordered a small pumpkin side dish topped with a sweet fruity filling and it's probably the sweetest pumpkin I have ever tasted. It's like dessert already!!!

They also offer some vegan merchandise for sale, from veggie seasoning, biscuits to instant noodles.

Would come back to this place for their pumpkin!

Pros: Homely and nature-like atmosphere, Simple and filling foods, BEST PUMPKIN EVER!!!

Cons: Not friendly to people who cannot sit cross-legged

Yum - Edit

Great vegan restaurant in a convenient spot. Hit up ssamjigil/쌈지길 and go here after. Make sure not to come during 3:30-5; they close temporarily. I ordered the gondreubap with the soybean paste. It was okay; next time I think I'll order the doenjang jigae/soybean paste stew instead.

My sisters ordered the jjampong and the jjajjangmyun. They were fantastic. I haven't had jjampong since I've gone vegan but I tried some of hers and they got the taste down. The jjajjangmyun was nice. It wasn't the best I've had but it was still good. We also ordered the Mandu/dumpling which are deep fried. Also very good. I think you can get these steamed so ask if you're so inclined. This place is a must visit if you're veg/an! I love veganized korean foods and this place hits the spot.

Edit: I've visited a couple more times and have noticed a lot of their dishes are pretty salty and oily. I personally think they sorta go overboard with the "vegetable seasoning". It's still really tasty though!

Updated from previous review on 2016-06-26

Pros: taste , inexpensive , convenient location

Worth it! - Edit

Really enjoyed our meals at this restaurant. Food comes fast, delicious and the ambiance is good!

We got the sesame noodles and mixed mushroom soup. All great !
Go, you wont regret it.

Pros: food, quick service

traditional and cozy - Edit

A gem hidden away in the middle of the touristy and busy Insadong. The restaurant's interior is that of a traditional Korean house, and as you take your shoes off and sit on the floor you feel like you are sitting in your Korean grandma's home.
The food is absolutely delicious and it is possible to buy some products after visiting.
It is definitely worth the visit - for vegans and meat-eaters alike.

Pros: good price, delicious food and banchans

Yum - Edit

I've tried almost everything on the menu, and I've enjoyed most of it. Much variety, very roomy. Be ready to take your shoes off and sit on a pillow. I enjoy this place a lot. I will say though, the ventilation and air conditioning is pretty poor. When it is hot outside, it's usually the same temp inside. They do also have a small shopping section to pick up other vegan items. :)

Pros: Variety, Delicious

Cons: No AC

Hidden Gem - Edit

Went for lunch today. Really great resturant right off the main path in Insadong. I ordered the Korean BBQ (red one with some spice) with Veggies and Rice. It was amazing. The meal comes with about 6 great side dishes and a bowl of soup. The price was 10,000 won. what a deal. I will be a regular here from now on for sure. Being a vegan in Korea is not easy, but finds like this certainly help.

Pros: Cool Atmosphere , Great Prices

Great food - Edit

This place is easy to get to from the metro and has some great Korean staples. You have to remove your shoes and sit at a floor table, which can be hard for people with bad knees or backs--we saw an older American man struggle to get up after his meal. The food is quite good, though! I had to come back for more. The jjajiongmyun is good, and so is the tangsuyuk, but if you want these, while they are great here, you may be better off going to Gawon in Mapo-gu. The best dish here for me was the nengmyon. My partner loved the perilla soup with noodles.

a real gem - Edit

I had a very hard time finding anything to eat in South Korea and was slowly starting to get really annoyed about it. I must say this place saved the experience for me, it's an absolutely lovely Korean style restaurant in the beautiful area and the food is fantastic. there's loads of vegan choices and it's all authentic. price was surprisingly good too! I absolutely loved it.

Pros: lots of vegan options, good price, authentic place

Going back this Saturday! - Edit

We raced all the way from Bangi dong on birthday after work to get to this place. When got there 10 minutes after closing and after we were refused entry, we explained how far we had come and it was my birthday and she served us happily (only people left in the restaurant) and my lord was the food good, we're going back this Saturday and want to bring friends. So much food, so much flavour and such good value!

Pros: Price, Location, Taste

Cons: Nothing

Nice food in a nice environment - Edit

Food is good and moderately priced.

What's good is that English is spoken and the menu is in English. You can get to try the vegetarian of typical Korean food, like jiggae (stews) and jajang noodles.

I had the soy protein stew and that was pretty good. The mushroom roll was nice -- but I think it was mixed with soy protein, so it was more like a soy protein dish rather than fresh mushroom.

The staff was a little brusque, probably because we came quite close to the closing time.

Pros: Excellent food

My Oh Se Gae My! - Edit

This place is such a find! Although a little hard to find but I think that was my own fault for being terrible with maps. If you turn left down Insadong-gil12 you'll find it at the end, it'll just say "Vegetarian Restaurant"!

It's a very cute set up with traditional sit down tables and cushions! The ladies who work there speak english and the menu is also in english! Easy peasy! We ordered the BBQ soy protein and vegetables with rice and the cutlet style protein with sweet and sour sauce on rice! As per Korean places we were given 5! little side dishes that were all tastey and vegan! All the food was really yummy and enough to make you full without feeling sick or empty!

Should definitely check it out, if I lived in Seoul I'd probably frequent this place. They also sell food there you can take home - cookies, mock meats, etc!

Return to Seoul Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Oh Se Gae Hyang closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.