Mildred's

Contact 02074941634

45 Lexington St (at Soho), London, England, W1F 9AN

Small veggie food restaurant with a changing menu. Gets crowded, expect a wait. Accept cash or debit card. Sits between Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Circus & Tottenham Court Road underground stations.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, British, English

First Review by Stevie

Great meal! - Edit

Since it was my first time visiting London, I was unsure about where to eat. I was ecstatic when I came across Mildred's. I got the sweet potato and green bean curry which was delicious. The menu is full of goodies that even meat eaters would enjoy! My only con is that the restaurant is small, so it can get a bit tight. However, the staff is friendly and accommodating, so it feels kind of homey.

Pros: Fast service , Fresh food, Kind staff

Cons: Small space

Amazing british vegan food - Edit

We were here on an afternoon and still had to wait for about 15 minutes to get a seat (reading the other reviews here I guess we can consider ourselves lucky).

The food we got was plainly amazing, I had a vegan pie with mash and a great panna cotta for dessert. The price was what you have to pay for good food in Central London, not cheap at all, but it was worth it to me that day.

Pros: great food, lots of choices

Go Now!! - Edit

If you don't go here while you're in London, you are absolutely missing out.
You can't book a table, so get there early or get there late......or be prepared to wait!!
Food is incredible.
The Drunken Tofu is definitely worth ordering!!

Okay when you can get a seat - Edit

Two out of the five or so times we've tried to eat here it's been way too busy (>1 hour wait times), even when it's not lunch or dinner time. When we have managed to get a seat, it's very crowded and noisy, which is at odds with the sophisticated decor and menu. The mains are a bit bland and not very memorable - they often feel overpriced. Once a member of staff misheard us and brought out the non-vegan option instead of the vegan one we had specifically asked for - we then had to wait ages for the correct version. You would think they would be a bit more attentive in a veggie restaurant. Otherwise the staff are friendly but busy - it's a struggle to get their attention. The vegan desserts are incredible (the best one was coconut panna cotta with salted caramel) - much better than the mains!

Pros: Amazing vegan desserts, Friendly staff

Cons: Not enough space, Boring, overpriced mains, Staff too busy to help

nice! - Edit

Weren't really hungry so shared a main and entree. Had the dumplings and the stir fry.

All good. Always room for improvement (slightly cold and a little oily) but so lovely to not have to worry about vegan options... And pretty damn tasty.

Very Busy, but Very Worth the Wait! - Edit

The place was packed when we arrived, but three different staff members assured us we would be seated as soon as possible. After a ten minute wait, we were indeed seated. The atmosphere is very casual and the staff is very friendly. All the dishes we had were delicious, but the risotto dish and the sausage dish really stand out. Sadly, they were out of the chocolate peanut butter brownie, but the puddings we ordered were all top notch. The crumble of the day was especially good.

All in all, a very good late dinner!

Delicious - Edit

Love the food here - lots of choice for both vegetarians, vegan and those following a gluten free diet. The peanut butter brownie is to die for! You won't be disappointed.

Pros: Vegan options, Good for non-veggie friends and family

Great food - Edit

This restaurant let's you reserve a table (unlike the other Mildred's brunch in Soho)
The staff was very friendly, the restaurant was relatively clean but the food... The food was great.
I ordered the classic burger, my hubby took the Wellington dish and our friend ordered the curry dish.
All dishes were excellent! Each of us finish everything.
Than time for sweet....
Peanut butter brownie with vanilla ice cream - delicious is you like chocolate! For me I enjoyed the ice cream very much

Pros: yummy , quality , easy to reach

A great institution; but too long to wait - Edit

We love Mildreds; we really do. But the waiting times for a table are getting ridiculous. We were told 45-60 minutes at 6.00pm this evening and gave up.

Updated from previous review on Friday January 15, 2016

Good tasty comfort food. Great portions. Great prices. One of our favourite go-to places in town.

Cons: Too long to wait , in a tiny entry lobby/bar area

Good Food and Buzzing Atmosphere - Edit

Tried this place on Monday. Very sassy atmosphere and good food. Pretty good value too (I think most mains were around £8.50). I had the Polish burger with sweet potato fries for mains and the peanut butter brownie with vegan ice cream for pudding.

Make sure you get there before 18:30 or else you'll be stuck in a long queue with no booking options.

Pros: Good food, vibrant atmosphere, Central London location

Cons: reservations are not possible

The best food and friendly atmosphere - Edit

Amazing place to eat. Have been going to Mildred's for years now and I think we always will. The food has always been wonderful and the super friendly staff have always been so welcoming. This place does get busy but then there's a reason why! Have never had to wait for long, but then a little wait is worth it. The new Camden restaurant is also very, very good. Everybody I have recommended it to have also agreed.

Pros: The food, fresh juices, friendly staff and atmosph

Cons: None.

Waiter mixed up order and have me non vegan cheese - Edit

We used to go to Mildred's quite a lot. Only just joined the Happy Cow community and wanted to let people know to be REALLY clear when ordering. I had a panic attack here a year ago when I bit into my burger and it had dairy cheese in it despite asking for vegan cheese. It really worried me as I want to not have to worry about these kind of things in a veggie/ vegan place. The waiter was very apologetic and we were given our meals for free as well as the offer of free desserts (I just wanted to get out of there)... Haven't been since.
Just to be clear this was approximately a year ago.

Bit pricey but worth it - Edit

My partner and I visited during the afternoon on a weekday and while it was by no means empty we were seated right away, so perhaps that's the time to go to ditch the bigger crowds.
The staff were in fits of giggles with one another, which was a bit distracting but that's better than having miserable staff and the service was fine overall - I ordered the burritos and asked if they could include some vegan cheese to go on top which they did.... and it was soo good. Equally my partner enjoyed his smoked tofu burger, which I had a bite of and it was really tasty.
I couldn't resist dessert so I had the coconut panna cotta with salted caramel espresso sauce......... my GOSH I could've had five of those! If it was socially acceptable my plate would've been licked clean.

Pros: Tasty tasty food, Nice interior, Good location

Cons: I much prefer tips to service charges..., Expensive, Skinny boyfriend couldn't fit into seat

Old faithful - Edit

I really love Mildred's. It's the place to take your non-veg pals as they do great hearty dishes and are good value in a perfect location. Always have trouble deciding on what I want to order as it all looks amazing. The staff are really nice and I am always happy with my meal. The cocktails are awesome too!

Pros: Good food, Nice Staff, consistent

FAB - Edit

Fab, just fab. Only problem was that I got over excited and ordered way too much food, and was so full afterwards! But everything was delicious and the people are lovely. It is quite noisy and busy in there so not the best choice if you want an intimate meal, but great fun.

Pros: amazing food, great location, big portions

Cons: you might have to wait a while for seats, a bit noisy

Tasty vegetarian food - Edit

We were there at lunch time with my boyfriend.
We ordered two "large plates"; one was stir fried veggies with rice and the other one a burrito. We also took sweet potato fries as a side dish.
Tastes were excellent, and we enjoyed especially those sweet potato fries&the dip.
All the waitresses were smiley and friendly, and the service was fast.
Restaurant itself was pretty and cozy.
Good experience!

Pros: Tasty food, Good service

Nice - Edit

Nice but not too great.

we had the burger and risotto cake and the pasta (first two were pretty good and the last one was terrible!)

guacamole and chips were good but it's difficult to mess up such a simple starter.

waited so damn long for a table at the bar.

we were seated upstairs so the service was slower than what it would have been if we were downstairs.

Not the best value for money. - Edit

The prices are fairly reasonable I suppose, given that it's in central London, but it's very cramped and noisy - not the place to go to if you want to talk to your companion while everyone else seems to be shouting at each other.
My food was OK; I had the classic burger but sadly the burger bun was rock hard.
I wouldn't rate it my first choice of restaurant although the staff were pleasant.
I would add that it takes someone strong minded to object to being presented with a bill which has 12.5% service charge added, yet which has 'service charge optional' printed at the bottom.
Updated from previous review on Friday August 14, 2015

Avoid. The best is now the worst. - Edit

Used to be my favourite restaurant ever. The staff were always warm and friendly and really on point with the service. And the food used to be excellent, had never eaten a single bad meal there. Even converted many of my meat eating friends to going regularly. It wasn't unusual to wait an hour to get a table because people loved it so much. I suppose the first warning that things had changed happened when we got seated straight away, a first at Mildred's. As we sat down we noticed they had new menus for the first time since as long as I have been going there which is longer than I can even remember. Our orders came and they were just completely different from what they used to be. My friend had the risotto cake and I had the mushroom pie which we must have had 100 times each over the years. The format of the pie had changed which wasn't so much of an issue, going from being a full pastry pie to being a pot pie. The taste had completely changed and it was mostly liquid! My friends risotto cake was also a disaster. And my pie came with frozen chips! We were just about to leave, but we'd got given the wrong bill and the server asked us if we had enjoyed the food to which my friend just asked is there a new chef because it was pretty awful. I left my pie I couldn't eat it. We were told that everything was how it had used to be including the chips and that the only thing that had changed was the pie was in a pot and there was now Parmesan in the risotto cake. Well if they had of see me frozen chips before I would never have returned to any restaurant that would do that and charge 80quid for 2 including drinks. We were then told if you tell us next time and we can give you something else (!!!!!!) sadly for us there won't be a next time which is a shame because we used to love it and we used to spend a couple of grand a year on eating there. Let alone all our friends and their friends who we've raved about Mildred's too. I suspect if it'd of been sorted before we left we'd of maybe put it down to an off day but judging by the recent reviews of one stars which to the Mildred's of old is unthinkable I think they've messed with the formula and the new staff are perfunctory and that would be a kindness to even call them that in afraid. A really sad day. I guess if they don't switch it back up to how it used to be I doubt this time next year they'll still be around : /

Wonderful food - Edit

Amazing food. We had the mushroom pie and the veggie burger. Generous and delicious. Most staff were friendly but one of the male waitstaff was very impatient and somewhat rude.. It really dampened my impression of the place. 5 stars otherwise.

Pros: amazing food

Cons: consistently rude and snappy waiter

delicious small and fun - Edit

Evidently they have improved their service because we really enjoyed our servers. We ordered and antipasta plate and the portobello pie, and both exceeded our expectations. Overall great experience!
Updated from previous review on Friday July 17, 2015

Pros: great service, great food, no wait for 2 when we arrived at 5:45

Cons: tight seating!

Delicious! - Edit

Mildreds is a lovely restaurant! Delicious home cooked food. The atmosphere is lovely. You may need to wait a while to be seated, but it will certainly be worth the wait! The food is simple, but made very well. Thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely go back.

Why can't I eat here more often? - Edit

We have been trying to go this place for a while but due to their no booking policy, if you coming at peak times you're expected to wait at the bar for an hour until a table becomes available. This is not feasible if you do not drink.

We went straight after work on a Monday evening and got a table straight away - success!

One we were sat we weren't rushed by the staff despite other people then waiting - which was nice.

The food was remarkable, better than I expected, especially the Sri Lankan Curry! Plenty of good vegan options for me, and the food was interesting enough for my omnivorous girlfriend.

The bill came to less than I expected which is also a plus.

I would love to eat here more often but having to wait at a bar for extended period is of no interest to me.

Everything considered I think the experience tends towards Excellent rather than Good.

Many thanks Mildreds

Pros: Excellent food, Good value

Cons: Booking policy

A London staple - Edit

Mildred's is a must for all vegans and vegetarians in London. It is a wonderful place with a great history, tucked away in Soho. The food is great - think hearty English food like pies and chunky chips, but vegan. They always have wonderful wines and cocktails and brilliant desserts. They do not take reservations, so be prepared to wait in their cramped waiting area with a drink. They also do not seat you til all of your party arrives so do not plan to meet your chronically late friend here, you will want to kill her once she arrives. It's always busy, so the service is sometimes brusque (although never bad), but the wait and busyness are worth it.

Pros: Great food, Great drinks, Great vibe

Cons: A little cramped, No reservations

Good quality, decent price - Edit

I was impressed by the standard of food and service, although one of our meals was a bit too salty and we did inform our waitress. Would definitely go again, excited to try some new dishes!

Most wonderful place! - Edit

Wonderful food and staff.
For such a great restaurant, the price is really decent!
It's always been busy when I've gone but I'd still recommend it.
Perfect for a fancy dinner!

Pros: Wonderful food, Lovely staff, Decent price

Cons: Might not get a table or be waiting, Very busy

Good, but very busy - Edit

Mildreds is very busy and doesn't take bookings, so, despite arriving before 6pm, we could only squeeze in just next to the bar and spent most of the evening being jostled by passers by and drowned out by the people crammed in waiting for a table. However, the menu is very tempting and the food was great - I had the mushroom and ale pie, which was generously sized and really tasty, followed by a heavenly slice of pecan pie for dessert. The staff were friendly and prompt, but it didn't feel like the kind of place where you could easily linger and enjoy a leisurely evening, unfortunately.

Pros: Delicious food

Cons: No bookings, Very crowded

Food not bad but the noise killed it - Edit

To say that the atmosphere was "lively" would be an understatement - it was an absolute madhouse, and it was just after 6 on a Thursday evening. The dining room is small and very cramped. The restaurant was full, everyone was chatting and cackling away, it was just too crazy. My partner and I had to literally yell across the table and still had a hard time hearing each other. It was that bad.

The menu is kind of boring, but good thing what we ordered turned out pretty tasty. We had the tofu fritters to start with, then the ale pie and the Sri Lankan curry as main courses. They were all quite nice, even though the pastry in the ale pie had gone totally soggy and there probably wasn't anything "Sri Lankan" about the curry itself. Still, we enjoyed the flavors, so not a big deal there. We would've gotten the peanut butter brownie for dessert, but the increasingly "bustling" scene had simply become too much for us to bear.

The central location is definitely a big redeeming quality. To me, this is more of a lunch than dinner place. In case you're inclined towards dinner, try to come early (like before 6) or be prepared to wait as they don't take reservations.

Pros: tasty food, location

Cons: Too cramped, THE NOISE, boring menu

the BEST place - Edit

this is so far my absolut favorite place in London! I food is amazing especially their vegan burgers with sweet potato chips❤❤ the only down point is that it is so popular that you will have to wait for about 30mins before you get a table (on weekends)..

Worth a Visit - Edit

Mildred's was one of the first veggie restaurants I visited in London and I'll always have fond memories of it for that! The pie is super yummy and the portions are HUGE - I was so full after dinner here! It's loud and busy and cramped but, if you know to expect that, then it all just adds to its charm.

Pros: Well priced, Tasty food, Huge portions

great food! - Edit

We just had a light sampling, as we just popped in for tea, but what we had was delicious! We will definitely be going back for more.

Pros: great food, quick service, casual, friendly atmosphere

Cons: crowded

Gorgeous food - Edit

Delicious meal at Mildred's. I'm so glad I found this place.
I ate a delicious chickpea tagine with herbed cous cous, roasted squash and soya yogurt followed by a light and spongy chocolate peanut butter brownie with vegan icecream.
Big portions for a reasonable price.
I would definitely recommend this place.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good vegan options, Big portions

Cons: Very busy

Perfectly Priced and top notch food. - Edit

I have only been a vegetarian for a year, but my wife who had been a vegetarian for nearly 30 said it was the best meal she had had and possible the best looking menu she had ever seen. Your eating in central London but the prices aren't crazy. Lovely cocktails and a fast service.

Pros: Fast, Fresh, Filling

Cons: Small

Brilliant place. The Pie is a must! - Edit

Firm favourite, and our go-to restaurant of choice if in the area. We're stuck on the mushroom and ale pie (with mushy peas and chips) and it's a delight. Great seeing the same serving staff year after year, so it might be okay to work there too! Try not to arrive at about half six on a weekday as it's usually got a queue (what a great sign though). pretty noisy and not intimate, but worth it for the food!
The peanut butter chocolate brownie with ice cream is still fantastic even though I've been getting it for ages now! And vegan!

Great Vegan Food!! - Edit

My boyfriend and I had heard about this place and finally got round to going there on Saturday.
First impressions - very small and noisy! It feels quite cramped and we had to wait for a table as it was quite busy. We did have the option of sharing a table but we preferred to have our own table, so we waited. We didn't have to wait too long before we were called to our table, which honestly, was pretty much like sharing a table as they are all very close together. Anyway we ordered our food: gyoza to start, aubergine burgers and chocolate brownie for desert. It was very good. The gyoza were amazing and I could have eaten at least 3 plates of those!!! The burger was good however it became a bit boring halfway through but still tasty. We shared the desert which was lucky as it was very rich and filling. It wasn't the best brownie, it was more of a chocolate cake but it came out warm with vegan ice cream so it was still very indulgent! I do recommend this place for its food, but not if you want to have a quiet romantic meal!

Best food experience in London! - Edit

I was in London for a week-long vacation with my boyfriend and this was definitely the best food experience we had!

We came here for a late lunch and it was quite crowded when we arrived. However, there wasn't a long wait time and we were seated after 5 minutes. As I said, it was crowded, and it's really close between the tables so it wasn't the perfect place for a cozy dinner. But the food most definitely made up for the crowded restaurant!

I ordered the Burger of the day (with regular chips) and my boyfriend tried the Mushroom Ale Pies. We both found our food absolutely delicious! The burger of the day was a mixed beans burger with basil mayo on the side and all parts of it were delicious. The food was very filling so we did not try any dessert. I also liked the fact that they had some organic soft drinks and I tried the wild elderflower bubby.

The staff was friendly and the service was quite good, nothing special to say about it. The environment and decor felt sophisticated and well decorated.

Pros: Delicious food, organic soft drinks, sophisticated environment

Cons: Very crowded

Appalling service = Bad! - Edit

My husband took me here last wednesday evening (3/9/14) for my birthday. It started out well, we got seated straight away and the waitress (who will remain nameless) took our order of two mushroom ale pies and 2 carrot, apple, beetroot and ginger organic juices. Literally within 5 mins our pies turned up. They were tasty enough but the pastry was thin and the sweet potato chips were a bit rubbery on one side. After 40 mins we asked our waitress where our drinks had got to (being very thirsty at this stage). Apparently they had run our of apples and the chef hadn't told her! She suggested replacing the apples with oranges and we waited another 10 mins for our juices, which turn up without the beetroot and ginger! It was pretty bland. Our waitress said she would have a word with the Manager and sort something out, but nothing came to fruition. Since our waitress disappears, we have to track down another one to place our dessert order and refill our water. I was looking forward to a nice vegan chocolate pudding, but alas they don't do their delicious chocolate and raspberry torte anymore, instead they've replaced it with a chocolate and peanut butter brownie for £6.50. Brownies are so easy to make, I make them all the time so I didn't really fancy this (and bring myself to pay £6.50 for a basic brownie!) so we declined and asked for the bill. We found we'd been charged extra for the sweet potato chips even though we hadn't been told this. And we hadn't been given a discount on our juices either. So we left without paying a tip. It really was very disappointing, especially when I was trying to celebrate my birthday.

I was so disappointed that I emailed Mildred's Thurs morn and they replied with an apology admitting they had "made a hash of things." This doesn't give me the confidence to go back though :-(
[edited by staff]

Cons: Appalling service, Disappointing food

Mildred's - Best veggie food in London - Edit

We loved this restaurant. Despite being extremely crowded when we arrived without a reservation, they made a special effort to fit us in when it started to rain on our outdoor table. Mildred's is located on a small, not immediately obvious street in Soho, and though it's not a little place, it as a challenge to navigate for me. I arrived in a wheelchair and though I am able to walk a bit with a crutch, getting to a rest room required more effort then I would have liked (it's down a fairly long set of stairs). But the food at Mildred's made me forget the stairs and the rain.

I had a delicious, unusual, spicy sweet-potato soup to begin, followed by what they call Sri Lankan sweet potato and cashew nut curry on yellow basmati rice with coconut tomato sambal. The curry was creamy and quite delicious. My partner had organic black bean burrito, with red pepper and green tomatillo rice. I tasted it and it was great.

Our experience was further enhanced by our interaction with their flamboyant frontman, Hugo, who is all smiles and determined to personally solve every problem.

Pros: Terrific vegetarian/vegan food, Great location in the heart of central L, Excellent servers and caring management

Cons: A bit pricey but you get a lot for the m, Not so disabled-accessible

One of London's best for veggies and vegans! - Edit

I have been to Mildred's a handful of times and I'm never disappointed. The (vegan) mushroom and ale pie with chunky chips and mushy peas is my absolute favourite and is good value at around £10. The standard menu does not seem to change, but there are specials that change often and this includes desserts. There is a lot on offer for both vegetarians and vegans, and the restaurant is also popular with non-veggies too. I went for dinner once with my university professor (a meat eater) and she adored the vegetarian dish that she ordered. Good selection of vegetarian beer and wine too, as well as teas, coffees and organic juice. Mildred's can become very busy and very noisey, so my best advice is to go for an early dinner when the restaurant opens. That way you can take your pick of tables and be served quickly. Staff sometimes come across as snobby but that does not impact upon the overall enjoyment of the dining experience. A great stop before taking an evening stroll around central London or going to see a nearby musical.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, delicious food

Cons: Can become very busy, often too noisey to hear others speak

Food not bad, staff pleasant... - Edit

We got back from a day trip very late and came here because of its late closing time, lugging baggage. The restaurant was busy but we were seated within a couple of minutes (and our baggage stored), and a friendly staff member took our orders. I went for the pasta special and my partner for a vegan burrito. This turned into a minor drama when neither dish arrived vegan: the pasta my fault for forgetting to check (it came with egg tagliatelle and parmesan) and the burrito their fault for overlooking the vegan request. The staff dealt with this calmly and pleasantly and took the dishes back. I ordered the chickpea and aubergine tagine this time and this was good but much as any such tagine I've tasted. I also ended up finishing my partner's burrito (vegan second time around) which was reasonably tasty if a little dry and accompanied by a nice fresh salad with delicious oniony guacamole. Staff regularly but unimposingly continued to ask after us and offered water and more olive oil for our side of artisan breads. Vegan vanilla ice cream for dessert was delicious and one bowl between us hit the spot. Assuming orders go smoothly in the future I'd be interested in investigating this place further.

Pros: Staff pleasant and accommodating

Cons: Vegan request overlooked

Great Central London Institution - Edit

Fantastic place with loads of vegan options. Mushroom pie + wedges + mushy pies, smoked tofu sausages + mash + greens and pecan pie all highly recommended! Staff are laid-back and great.

Be warned - no bookings can mean a long wait so be ready to have a drink or two at the bar before dinner.

Soon to be a branch in Camden too!

Pros: Good vegan options, Atmospheric central location , Great staff

Cons: Specials are often not vegan, Can be quite a wait for a table

Amazing Veg - Edit

Mildred's is a fantastic restaurant for vegans and vegetarians. I went back twice while visiting London recently. I absolutely loved the menu and wish that I had had the opportunity to try more of their dishes. I would recommend Mildred's to anyone, whether veg or not.

Pros: delicious food, fast service, variety

Cons: expensive, busy, no outside seating

One of the best in London!! - Edit

Something of an institution. I've been many times and never been disappointed, ever. Most guests who visit me in London get taken here or Manna (if we have enough money - it's not the cheapest). It's worth every penny. If you never been or you are visiting London then you simply MUST go!!!

Pros: Everything

Cons: Nothing

Posh, hip expensive but good - Edit

Mildreds is about as central as you can get in London. The food is of a high standard but the menu hasn't changed much for years and the "specials" are often not vegan so I'm a bit out off going down and potentially spending a lot of money for a meal I've already had. The staff have always been friendly to me which is nice because some of the clientele can be rather sniffy! There's a fairly good chance of spotting a celebrity amidst the hipsters whilst you are queueing to get in. Booking a table in the evening is recommended as is getting your wealthy parents to pay if you are so lucky!
The choc cake is great.

Pros: Good food, easy to get to, friendly service

Cons: expensive, busy, not great for vegans

Busy but brilliant - Edit

I took my friend (non-vegetarian) here for dinner tonight. It was packed so we had a drink at the bar while we waited for a table, but we didn't mind! Love their range of organic beer and wine. I ordered the stir-fried vegetables and my friend got a burger. She absolutely loved it! The sweet potato fries are a must order - so delicious! We also got dessert, the chocolate & peanut butter brownie was delicious with a side of salted caramel ice cream. Will definitely go there again!

Pros: menu, organic options, gf and vegan options

Cons: little noisy in back room

London veggie institution - Edit

My friend took me here for my birthday. Despite it being a Friday night we only had to wait a very short time for a table.

The food is great and deserves the reputation it has. The prices are very fair for London and the portion sizes are not small (we still managed to squeeze in a dessert between us!).

Our waitress was great and very knowledgeable about the menu and she never made us feel rushed, despite the busy atmosphere.

Beware - if you are looking for quiet and intimate, this is not the place for you but is just the spot for some delicious meat/dairy free food before a night on the town!

Pros: Great food, Excellent staff, Lively atmosphere

Cons: Might have to wait for a table

Consistent and delicious - Edit

We ate here several times in June 2013. Great vegan options and takeaways. The pear pastry dessert is a must. Arrive early or be prepared to queue and share tables.

A safe bet - Edit

Mildred's is one of the vegetarian restaurant you have to test if you're in London. Even if the place is usually crowded and you'll have to wait at the bar with a beer or something else, the waiting is really acceptable for the dinner or lunch you'll have. Food is really tasty and fine (even if you will have a burger or a burrito), portions are generous and the staff is friendly. Moreover, the restaurant is well located not far from Picadilly Circus.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, nice atmosphere

Cons: often crowded

Soho veggie delight! - Edit

A great find off the back streets off Soho. Had never heard of it before stumbling across it but can see why it is so acclaimed by Veggies alike. Good all round menu, covering many international tastes. I had the Daily soup followed by a Burrito tailored as a vegan dish; superb! Only downside is that you cannot book so you need a bit of luck to avoid a queue.

Good Food and Atmosphere - Edit

It took a long to be acknowledged but once we were and had queued to be seated the staff were welcoming. There was a reasonable selection for vegans and enough variety to keep my omnivorous companion happy. We ate quite late after an exhibition and were almost the last to leave, but we didn't feel at all rushed, which was nice. We'd definitely go back again.

Pros: Good atmosphere, Not overly expensive, Varied menu

Cons: Be prepared to queue

Great food and good service - Edit

My partner and I ate here for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It was a busy Saturday afternoon but we only had to wait five minutes for a table.

Service was quick and friendly and the food was delicious. I would recommend the sweet potato curry in particular.

Desserts are a little over priced for the portion size.

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly service, Good value

Cons: Desserts overpriced

The owner tries not to encourage Vegans. - Edit

Haven't been for a couple of years but was really sad and disappointed by their attitude towards vegan customers. To make a dish vegan they simply leave off ingredients rather than use any substitutes. When I mentioned that you can get heaps of vegan nut cheeses nowadays I was told by the waitress that the owner tries not to encourage vegans. Interesting attitude for a veggie restaurant. A little sad that it's one of the few veggie restaurants in London so very disappointing for anyone overseas to visit if they are vegan or raw. Would be nice if they checked out some of the restaurants in NYC as comparatively they are way behind the times in both attitude and in the choice of menu!

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Nice Layout, It's vegetarian

Cons: Poor customer service, Poor vegan menu, Poor attitude

The Best Veggie burger ever - Edit

I love this place. Awesome location, fabulous food, lots of vegan options which covers desserts and lovely atmosphere. If you are here, do not miss out on their burger. It really is AMA-ZING! There is so much love and care in the food. This is the place to take your non-veggie friends because it really does impress everyone!

Pros: amazing menu, food , great location

Cons: does not take bookings

Mildred's - Edit

Leur curry de patate douce et de noix de cajou est tout simplement le meilleur plat que j'ai jamais mangé. Mes parents et soeurs (omnivores) ont adoré malgré leur réticence initiale à manger végétalien.

Pros: Délicieux

Great Vege Restaurant. - Edit

A very popular Vege Restaurant. When we arrived there were no seats available and we had to wait. There isn't much space to wait but a table became available within twenty mins or so. The food was delicious, some of the staff were really friendly (one seemed frazzled and stressed) and the food came out relatively quickly considering how busy it was. The tables are VERY close to each other so don't go there if you want an intimate secluded dinner. Overall a great night out.

Pros: Great food, Efficient staff

Cons: A little cramped

Love for Mildred's - Edit

I've been three times now and have really enjoyed the food. Services is friendly and fun. I'm pretty obsessed with their veggie burgers. It's a bummer that you have to wait as they don't take reservations. However they do have a private dining room I reserved for my birthday this year. Really cute little space where you can play your own music through the iPod Dock. The 8 meat eater we brought along also really enjoyed the food. Highly recommend this place.

Pros: Good food, Location, Vibrant

Cons: A bit expensive

Enjoyable lunch - Edit

We came to Mildred's in the middle of the afternoon (about 1:30pm), pretty crowded but we got a table without a reservation. Service was slow and not too friendly.

The food was good, though. It's vegetarian but lots of vegan options. We had a vegetable Asian stir-fry with brown rice and a yellow curry that normally comes with safron rice but we had brown rice instead. The whole menu looked really good.

Definitely a recommended choice in the middle of London.

Pros: Tasty food, Healthy options

Cons: Service not friendly or fast, Crowded

best vegan restaurant i've been in London - Edit

the food is great!!! fair prices and big plates!! a big variety, the dishes are very special, I will totally come back!!

Pros: great food, fair prices

Cons: the location is little bit hard to find

nice popular restaurant, but be there early - Edit

...luckily we were early and did not have to wait. It seems really popular, the food is tasty and not too expensive. Would definitely recommend it

Pros: nice restaurant, great food

Get there early! - Edit

A friend and I visited Mildred's about a month ago. We've both been vegan for nearly a year and Mildred's was always on our bucket list! We got there around 5:15-5:30 and the restaurant was filling up very quickly. It's very small inside and HOT.

Food was delicious. We both had a burger. Sweet potato fries and the basil mayo were to die for. Basil mayo was so good I had a dreadful moment where I thought it might actually be real. For dessert I had their peanut butter brownie which was huge!
Very reasonable prices. When we left there was an enormous queue!

Pros: Delicious, Value for money, Vegan options

Cons: Hot!!!, Busy, Cramped

Delicious - Edit

We got there at about 8 P.M. on a Saturday and didn't have to wait at all. We were placed upstairs in a very sweet room, where it was not too loud and the food was absolutely delicious. The portions were too big for us (but we were having a starter too, so...), but really: I tasted all the other peoples dishes as well and each and everyone was just really really good!
There is quite some choice for vegans too and the vine was organic, which I appreciate a lot.
I can only recommend this place!

Pros: delicious food, vegan dishes, nice atmosphere

Cons: can get noisy

Love this place - Edit

Mildred's consistently delivers. The hardest part is figuring out what to order because everything on the menu is looks so good. Their cocktails are delicious, too. I love everything about it.

Pros: Not too loud, Friendly, attentive staff, Great menu!

Cons: Can be crowded waiting for a table

nice, but could be better - Edit

The place looks awesome, as the food. But I did not enjoy the taste very much. It seemed like it was missing seasoning or something. I would have to come back to check if I am just being a bad judge hehe
oh, and it is a little pricey.

Great place, a bit pricey - Edit

My husband and I went to Mildred's on a weekday afternoon and waited ten minutes to be seated. The restaurant is a decent size but very crowded. The staff was very nice, the menu very attractive and the food very delicious. I would say the prices are a bit higher than I would like but overall it's a pretty great restaurant.

Pros: Food is fantastic, Friendly Staff, Nice Ambiance

Cons: Pricey, Smaller portions, Longer waits

fun place - Edit

Mildreds is a nice pleasant place to be. Food is well done, nothing too elaborate, but good value for money. If you are looking for a laid back atmosphere place in town, this is what you'll find here. I've been there several times over the past few years, and although they are always extremely busy, they manage to keep consistent standard on food and service.
Something that not every place is able to do.

Pros: laid back environment, good value for money

Cons: some dishes have been on the menu for ev

Good food but not sure it's worth the wait - Edit

My husband and I enjoyed Mildred's on two occasions. The first a Saturday afternoon around 1230 was really busy and we waited about 45 min for a table, the second time we arrived around two on a Saturday and wereseated nearly immefiately. The food IS good but not so good to warrant waiting in a very cramped space in the evening as we saw when we tried to get in on friday night. We did enjoy the Asian str fry and my husband likes the pasta of the day. The tofu dumplings and sweet poato fries are tasty as well.

Pros: Lots of vegan options

Cons: Long wait most of the time even lunch

Good, but overrated. - Edit

This has to be one of the most overrated vegetarian restaurants in London.

There's always a long queue snaking out the door as reservations can only be made for the private room. The restaurant itself is bustling, cramped and atmospheric, but the food is just average.

I had absolutely no problems with the staff or service, but for the price (and the wait!) I expected a menu of dishes that I'd struggle to recreate at home. The portion sizes were pretty mean, but I didn't finish my plate because the dish (an olive tagine) was so bland. My friend's risotto cake wasn't much better.

If it were the only veggie restaurant in town, I'd be on it like a gin in tonic, but there's no excuse for such mediocrity in Soho.

I've been several times and I'll undoubtedly go again, but I really don't think this restaurant is worth a special trip. I keenly await the summer menu to see if my mind can be changed though.

Pros: varied menu, pleasant staff, bustling atmosphere

Cons: average food, overpriced, long waits and cramped dining room

Nice place, good service - Edit

Very cute place. Not too big, but didn't need to be. Waited with my husband for about 5-10 minutes for a table. They gave us menus to look over while we waited, which was helpful. The waiter was really nice. The food was very good, not big portions but enough. Had the bean sausages and then we split a dessert. It's a pricey place though. I know this is listed as moderate, but I'd say more like leaning towards expensive. Definitely nice to try out while on vacation, but if I lived in London think it'd be a bit too pricey for regular visits.

Pros: Good food, Nice staff, Not too long wait

Cons: High price, tight seating

lovely - Edit

It was busy earlier on at lunchtime, but I noticed around 2pm it was much quieter and there were a few solo diners quietly sitting and enjoying their food.
It was nice to eat somewhere and have a real choice of vegan food. I had the cashew curry which was nice and followed up with the banoffee pie which was okay. If anything I think they could be a bit more adventurous with the vegan desserts as there were only a few options and were the same things you could find anywhere.
The food was fresh and reasonably priced and I will definitely be back.

Pros: fresh food, vegan options, pleasant service

Cons: small and crowded earlier on, unadventurous dessert options

Quality restaurant - Edit

We've been to Mildred's many times and have never been disappointed. We're both vegan and there's a good range of vegan food on the menu, for all courses.

It's certainly not the cheapest place in the world, but then it is in Soho, in the heart of London. The food is worth it though, in my opinion.

Go for the mushroom and ale pie, or one of the curries, you won't be disappointed. The desserts are superb too - I'm a fan of the banoffee pie!

It's very busy between 6.30 and 9.30, so if you want to avoid queuing then get there before or after then. It's open until 11pm but we've arrived there after 10 and they've been fine with it.

Go there now!

Pros: excellent food, good location

Not very relaxing but amazing food, will go back! - Edit

I'd read that Mildred's gets very busy and you can expect to wait for a table, as you can't book. As it turned out, we were seated right away upstairs - which was good because it's a tightly-packed place and you can't really relax at the bar to wait. it's cosy with windy stairs, but a nice atmospheric place. The selection of food was excellent and the food itself was amazing (even though it came exceedingly quickly - still tasted freshly made, though!). We had four separate dishes and all of us loved them; the desserts were great - my first ever banoffee pie a definite success! We would have liked to have have a drink after dinner but it's a restaurant and very popular so the staff dissuaded us. Fair enough, I guess, just important to manage expectations. I'd definitely go back for the great food, and on to somewhere else afterwards for a drink.

Pros: Fantastic food, Brilliant desserts, Good portions

Cons: Busy, Fast service

Excellent! - Edit

I tend to go to MILDREDS every time I am in London and it's always so good!!
his time we went there in the evening and as usual it was getting crowdy. The waiter told us that we needn't wait if you shared a tale with another couple which we did!
Despite all the people in the restaurant we didn't have to wait too long to get served.
We had the day burger with sweet potatoe chip and a mushroom pie (very English haha!). The food was simply delicious and portions were huge. The only regret I have is that I had eaten so much I wasn't able to taste a dessert :-(

Pros: Food, Location, Staff

Good food, odd experience! - Edit

After reading previous reviews, we came here for an early dinner on a recent visit to London. It wasn't too crowded and the staff were really nice and friendly. We shared a starter of fried veg dumplings, which was delicious. My main course, asian noodles & tofu, was also yummy. My partner found his main of pie, peas & sweet potato fries a little disappointing. The mushroom pie filling was extremely rich and there was too much puff pastry, and the sweet potato was more chunky than chip! Soft drinks seemed very expensive and I was shocked that they added their own service charge to the bill. I requested that it be taken off when I paid with my debit card, and was asked if there was a problem with the service. I advised that I like to determine my own cash tip. Maybe it's a London thing, but it really cheesed me off and soured my experience - felt like I was being bullied a little. Good food overall, but not sure if I would return. Shame.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Nice decor

Cons: Expensive soft drinks, Service charge

Tasty - Edit

decided to give Mildred's a go after being recommended by fellow vegans. I had this-

stir fried asian vegetables cooked in sesame oil and teriyaki sauce with garlic and ginger, fresh chilli and coriander served with organic brown rice, toasted cashews and marinated organic tofu

it was quite pricey at nearly £10 for just one dish but the portion was quite hearty and was delicious.
We also had some vegan icecream for dessert. The decor was nice, lovely pictures on the wall. They did put an optional service charge on the bill but we paid by card and they didn't ask us if we wanted to pay for the optional charge and just included it in anyway..(we were going to pay it anyway but would have been nice to be asked)

Pros: tasty, good size portions, nice restaurant

Cons: pricey, service charge not so optional?, staff not particuarly friendly

One of the best places in central London - Edit

Really good burgers, pies, sausages and mash etc. The salads look good too. Less strong on curries (go to Rasa in Stoke Newington!) and north African food (I had a baby aubergine tagine which was very dull and included only one baby aubergine). Although the gyoza starter was good. Vegan cheesecake is one of the best we've had. Nice atmosphere although it's a bit crowded - if you ask they normally let you sit upstairs which is quieter.

I love Millie's... - Edit

Millie's is my favourite restaurant in the UK. I have eaten here for years (since it was at it's previous venue in fact) and I have always had an excellent meal. It can be crowded and busy, but is generally nice and quiet outside peak times.

Pros: Sweet potato fries., Excellent food, fair prices., Interesting staff.

Cons: Can be busy and crowded.

Great veggie spot in central London! - Edit

My husband and I ate here yesterday for dinner and it is by far the best veggie restaurant in London that we have tried so far!

Not at all 'alternative', like so many London based veggie restaurants, Mildred's serves up delicious, fresh meals with speed and charm.

The chocolate truffle dessert was out of this world!

I wouldn't hesitate to bring my non-veg*n friends and family here.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly and fast service

One of the best - Edit

Delightful restaurant in the heart of Soho. Great menu with rotating
specials, excellent service staff. The free wifi is a nice bonus.
Always one of my favorites in London. The restaurant can get a bit
crowded, cramped, and noisy, but hey, you're in Soho!

Pros: food, presentation, easy access

Cons: a bit pricey

Highly recommended!! - Edit

I've been here 3 times in the last month and everything I've eaten has been delicious. My favourites are the mushroom and porcini pie and the chocolate and raspberry vegan truffle cake. On all the occasions I've visited I've arrived early so haven't had to wait at all. It does get full up quickly (by 1 at lunchtime and 6 for dinner). The staff were friendly, helpful and polite. The atmosphere is laid back and trendy. A great place for vegans as there is plenty to choose from. Highly recommended.

Pros: tasty vegan choices, chilled atmosphere, friendly staff

Cons: none

Mmmmmildreds! - Edit

I really love this place. It's soooo cozy, great service. A wait is normal - but worth it! Portions are very hearty indeed. Mushroom & Ale pie with fat chips & mushy peas. Nuff said!

Pros: Yummy

Favorite - Edit

For starters, I had the special vegan salad, the quinoa salad. It was really good! For my entree, I decided to try something British - mixed mushroom, porcini, and ale pie served with fries and mushy peas. Mmm! For dessert, I had a real chocolate-y delight: raspberry chocolate truffle. Mildreds is one of my favorite places to go when I'm in London.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/10/vegan-london-part-three.html

Hip and happening - Edit

Had a trendy vibe with really good food - this was reflected by the fact that we had to line up for 20-30minutes on a Monday. It was a bit frustrating having to stay and stand while waiting but in the end it was worth the wait. We recommend to try the gyoza dumplings, they were fantastic! You got value for money with healthy portions for the price you paid.

Pros: great food, good value for money

Cons: line up (had to stay while waiting)

good food but thats it - Edit

This was the first veggie place I went to in London, the food in generally is good, burger of the day is yum as is the mushroom pie, but sometimes the food is a bit heavy here and feels greasy. The puddings are amazing. However as others have said, its cramped, you have to wait on average 40 mins with no where good to wait and its very noisy.

Pros: puddings, mushroom pie, wine list

Cons: noise, cramped, rude staff

Wonderful - but generally very noisy! - Edit

Just wonderful food, as others have said - we come here time and again .it's not so nice as their previous place, tho'. The main problem is queuing and perhaps nowhere to sit whilst you queue and the noise levels - there is hard flooring and hard wall and ceiling surfaces... and once one table starts talking loudly, everyone else has to as well... so it just gets worse. Often better in the middle of the afternoon. Fabulous, fabulous desserts - and so many are vegan!

Pros: food - glorious, very central

Cons: noise, queuing..

Mushroom and ale pie brings me back here - Edit

Although Mildreds is cramped and the staff are sometimes variable in temperament, I still always end up back here because they do a really good mushroom and ale pie with flaky pastry and mushy peas. They used to serve it with vegan garlic mayonnaise - you have to ask for it now but it's worth it as it goes deliciously with the thick, crispy potato wedges that come with the pie. The veggie burger here is also usually pretty good. It's often very busy at this place but the pie keeps me coming back.

Pros: Mushroom pie usually delicious, Funky atmosphere

Cons: Can get busy and squashed in

Nice Place - Edit

This is a good veggie place, prices reasonable, food not gourmet, but tasty. Service and atmosphere really good. Lots of vegan choices. The seating is a bit tight but it is usually really busy which is a good sign of good food.

Pros: reasonable, tasty, vegan choice

Cons: not much space

Wonderful restaurant in central London! - Edit

I've been to this restaurant with 6 people and only two were vegan. The place is very nice and also very crowded. They dont'n accept reservation. When you enter, the girl says you how long you have to wait and she write your name in a notebook. Then, she call you when the table is free. You have to wait inside the restaurant. But the wait is pleasant! the food is delicious, fresh and cooked at the time. the staff is very frendly and polity. Serving vegan and vegetarian. You must try their sweet! We will came back the next trip to London with my husband!

Pros: fresh product, suitable for coeliacs, healthy cooking

Cons: a little expensive, but you it's london!

Hearty veggie food - but cramped! - Edit

Mildreds has survived over the years because it provides hearty portions of tasty veggie food. Last time I went the burger was greasy and there wasn't a decent choice of vegan pud, but on a previous occasion I had lovely noodles and a great choc/coffee cake. As others have said the service can be iffy and the restaurant is ridiculously cramped, but sitting on other people's knees has become part of the Mildred's brand by now. It wouldn't be the same if there was enough room to eat with your elbows out!

Pros: Good portion size, Have good puds - not always, Reasonably priced

Cons: Service iffy, Cramped , Bit up themselves

Excellent, excellent food - tiny place. - Edit

First of all - the food here is excellent. It arrived quickly and the standard was impeccable. We both had an amazing mushroom pie with real chunky fries and pies. Desserts were equally impressive. The downside to Mildred's is that it's tiny and cramped and YOU CANNOT BOOK A TABLE. We went down at about half-seven on a Tuesday night and waited for about 45 minutes for a table for two. You must leave time to wait.

One of the best meals i've eaten, however. I wish they'd expand!

Pros: Incredible food, Food served quickly., Excellent staff

Cons: TINY TINY, Waited for 45 mins for a table, Cramped

Arrogant and rude - Edit

Reserved the private room in advance, but was conveniantly given to a larger party a week before our special event. The staff were rude and gave no apology for this and still refused to give us the room after admitting their error. Ruined what was to be a very special evening. We will never ever visit this place again.

Pros: Good location

Cons: Rude, Arrogant

Great Vegan Food!! - Edit

I absolutely love this place. When ever I go into town with a close friend or member of family I take them to Mildred's. It's a nice classy place and the food is fantastic, great selection for vegans. Bill does mount up but that's because I always end up having a 3 course meal as the foods so good  Soup of the day and the dumpling starters are amazing. For the main meal I always end up going for the Burger of the day as it never disappoints. Have also tried the pie and mushy peas and the tofu broth  As for the puddings, absolutely amazing! The blackcurrant and vanilla cheesecake and fruit crumble are fantastic. So great to go somewhere that does tasty mouth watering VEGAN deserts. They also do a great selection of vegan drinks and is nice to go to a restaurant and have a glass of vegan wine. A few down sides would be some that it very busy in the evening and the tables are small and quite close together so you overhear other peoples conversations. Also some of the staff can be a bit moody.

Pros: Great Vegan Selection, Excellent Food

Cons: Tables too close together, Staff

GREAT FOOD AND INTERESTING STAFF - Edit

i love mildreds been eating here years and the service has never changed, rude, full of attitude and moody but but but its a charm now after all these years i expected it and am never disappointed. saying that some of the waiters/waitresses are lovely. spanish guy and girl and tall short haired tattooed chick are ace. the rest need charm school quick :)
food is always amzing good portions, nice flavours and fairly priced. i really do love this place its a wonder they haven't expanded as there is always a que after 7pm. great vegan cheesecake and the burger of the day is always tasty. many vegan choices. real yummy great food.

Pros: good choice, great vegan cheese cake, burger of the day

Cons: some staff, small tables, noisey @ peak times

Great restaurant....central location..... - Edit

Our family of 6 didn't have time to wait an hour for a table, so we ordered our dinner to go from this very highly recommended restaurant in SOHO. The service staff was great and very helpful and the dishes were outstanding! No complaints, just expect to wait since they don't take reservations and this restaurant is extremely popular.

Pros: Great food, Great location, Great service

Cons: Wait can be long

good food. rubbish staff - Edit

Food was good, and after finishing main meal decided to have desert and coffee. Plates were cleared away and we sat expecting the desert menu or at least the bill. After 20 minutes of waiting and being totally ignored, even after making eye contact with a waiter, we decided to go elsewhere.
Having paid the bill and left I noticied on the receipt an 'optional service charge', which clearly was not optional as they did not ask and I did not know I had paid it. Had I genuinely been given the option I would NOT have tipped that much/at all, considering the lousy service did not deserve it.
The food was good, but the service was awful. Would not go back.

Pros: food

Cons: service

Not for the healthy, only detox salad and quinoa - Edit

We tried to see if they could healthy vegan up a few dishes but no luck so we ended up with an oil free quinoa plate, which wasn't bad we ended up ordering another one. They have really good vegan booze and the place has a fun crowded atmosphere. Just keep your eyes closed if you're approaching it from the north, they have a sick neighbor who hangs dead animals in the window.

Pros: freedom beer, lively

Mixed Food/ Mixed Staff! - Edit

I've eaten in Mildred's many times. I took my non-vegan family who were not impressed from the surly staff, to the caterpilla in my brother's salad!

Apart from on my last visit, the staff are dreadful. They are more concerned with entertaining themselves. Maybe they have a competiton on how rude they can be to the customers. To be candid, the only reason I come back here is the lack of other vegan friendly restaurants in the area. Bring on some competition!

I do generally like the food. The portion sizes are generous, but it's a bit pedestrian!

One thing: the last time I ate there, we sat in the front and it's a lot quieter! Own waiter was a real sweety too - I think he must have been on loan from somewhere else where they value their customers and enjoy their jobs!!!

Pros: Mainly tasty food

Cons: Dreadful Staff, Overcrowded, Expensive for what it is

Mildreds - Edit

I really don't know how to rate this place. I've never been somewhere where, aside from a couple of them, the staff have been so consistently miserable/rude and made me feel so awkward! I asked one of them if they had any vinegar and she stared at me for a few seconds, then just handed it me without so much as a smile. Their prices have gone up again, making their food quite expensive for what it is, and the place is always crowded and cramped. If it wasn't for the fact that some of their food really is delicious, I wouldn't go back, because rude staff and high prices just aren't really worth it.

Pros: amazing truffle cake, yummy mushroom pie

Cons: rude staff, high prices, poor value for money

Soho delight - Edit

Yes, there's the tables are close together but the place is cute and there's a pleasant, buzzy atmosphere. If there are no tables you can have a drink and wait in small bar area at front of the restaurant.

Varied choice on menu, from classic comfort fayre such as the mixed mushroom, porcini and ale pie served with fries and mushy peas to lighter options such as tagines and asian stir fries.

I opted for the aforementioned mushroom pie and chose well. The pie chips and peas were hearty and tasty. Lovely plum crumble with custard afterwards.I'd definitely return.

Pros: tasty food, central location, various vegan desserts

Think Deluxe Diner or Alright Restaurant - Edit

Poss next to some sort of butcher shop. The last time I walked past there were pig legs hung decoratively? in the front window of the next door shop.
It's a small place like loads of places in Soho are. They utilize all the space they can it seems. There is a bar in the front as you enter which we found difficult to reach as the queue for seating was obscuring it. Tables are very close together and there were people eating up against the windows near the entrance. A conversation will be shared with four to six people depending on how many neighbouring tables there are to you. Tables are mainly two person.
Decor is pleasant with low lighting.
There is a bustling vibe with all the people there and the waitstaff powering around. If you want a long drawn out/ intimate meal find an alternative place.

The menu is mostly various Western with some East Asian influenced options.
I had the gyoza dumplings to start and the asian vegetables with rice. The dumplings were ok. The main smelled absolutely scrumptiously, spellbinding! After that it seemed a bit tasteless.
Desserts looked good however didn't try any.
Perfunctory service, the staff were obviously very busy.

At about ₤35 for starter, mains and drinks for two, value was fine.

Pros: Decent menu w wine list, good location

Cons: very crowded, staff very busy, vibe to hustle

Whever I'm back in London ... - Edit

I always make a point to stop by this wonderful restaurant. Love the tasty and satisfying offerings, which stomp all over the majority of somewhat bland offerings in many US vegetarian restaurants.

It's true that some of the wait staff can be a little less than friendly - in my 10 or so visits, I can't actually recall anyone ever asking me if the food was OK or if I needed anything and it's often a problem getting their attention. Still, the food and value for money more than make up for it.

Pros: Great food, reasonable prices, Sticky toffee pudding!

Cons: Blase staff

Good food - Edit

At first, my boyfriend and I sat down and looked at a menu, but we really wanted something to go. We asked the server for a to-go menu and he told us we would have to exit the restaurant, and walk two doors down to Ms. ________'s (I think it's Marengo's or something). They had the same menu, only it was all take-away and about two pounds cheaper per entree! We took it back to our hotel for dinner and it was delectable. Choose take-away, save money!

Pros: take- away, burrito, portion size

Mildreds was our savior - Edit

We arrived hot-footing it from a disaster of an aborted attempt to visit the neighboring vegetarian dessert, Beatroot" a few blocks away. The charming waitress welcomed us with open arms, instructing us to wait a few minutes to get our own table, and not share it with strangers. We each had the daily burger, loving that we also ordered the sweet potato fries. Yes, it was overly loud inside, they need some kind of sound-proofing in there, to absorb the sound. All the waiters were very kind, especially when I'd sincerely ask,"Can you turn down the noise in here"? They all agreed that it was way too noisy in there. I can see how that grates on their nerves night after night. Noise pollution at its worse. Dessert was the chocolate raspberry torte, a vegan dessert, but too chocolately towards the end. You can also just order one scoop of ice cream with hot fudge sauce. Dinner with tip was 37 pounds.

Pros: Good location, Great menu selection, Sweet potato fries

Cons: Too noisy...shhhhhh, No celebrity sightings, Bathrooms not that clean

Mildred's is a must whenever in London - Edit

I almost didn't try Mildreds because of the poor service reviews I read but I was thankful I gave them a chance. I prefer transparent, good service in a professional and timely manner and thats what I got. I did not notice anyone else receiving poor service during my two recent visits.
On my first visit I started with the soup of the day, Carrot lentil, a very generous portion of a hearty pureed bowl served with 2 delicious house made breads. Next I had the Burger of the day, carrot, cumin & bean servered with thick, tasty (not greasy) steak fries with basil mayo on the side, there was an option for sweet potato fries and mozzarella cheese at additional cost. It was topped with fresh field greens and relish. Timing between coarses was perfect. Food was delicious. My only minor complaint would be the short bottled beer list. There was an excellent selection of wine. Do not let the poor service reviews scare you off. The food was fabulous! The restaurant does fill up fast at prime eating hours. Arrive early for fast seating.

Pros: Excellent food, Good service

Cons: Short beer list

My favourite veggie place in London - Edit

I have been to Mildred's many times and the food has never disappointed me. They do a wonderful white chocolate cheesecake which I will always have if it is on the menu. It can get very busy and unfortunately you cannot book a table so either arrive early or wait in the bar area with a few drinks until a table comes free. I have not personally experianced any rudeness from the staff in here as mentioned in some other reviews and have always found them to friendly enough just a little bit rushed due to how busy it is.

Pros: Excellent food, Changing menu

Cons: Busy, Small, Unable to book a table

Great Central Restaurant - Edit

Mildred's is the best vegetarian restaurant in Soho, and is also the nicest veggie setting in Soho, especially when compared to the other take away style options. It is a bit short on space like every place in Soho, but not overly so.

The food is great, I've been there many times, it never disappoints, and is often wonderful. I've had great tarragon sausages in mash with amazing gravy, porcini mushroom pie, and a few other delicious dishes.

Great place to take a date, impress non veggies, or find something good in central London.

They don't take bookings (well they have a seperate room seating 24 you have to book at once) which is a pain if you want to organise a night out. Basically you go there and ask for a table, and they are usually busy and give you a time to come back. In Soho that's not so bad as there are plenty of places to get a pint in the meantime, such as the John Snow a few doors down which has vegan beers.

Highly recommended!

Pros: Great food, Cocktails

Cons: No booking, Busy, Little cramped

Terrible - Edit

I would avoid this place like the plague. Ive been several times and OK the food is nice and there's quite a varied menu (if you like salad). But this doesn't excuse the consistent rudeness from the staff, who treat any request as if you've interupted their busy life. The food is also not cheap but not unreasonable. However to top it all they add a service charge (obviously knowing they won't get a tip) and are extremely reluctant to remove it. While the food is OK and the venue cosy (some would say overcrowded) the atrocious contempt the staff have for customers means I will never go back. Id rate it one if I could!

Pros: ok food

Cons: staff, service charge, overcrowded

mixed - Edit

i was so excited for this place after reading the reviews. however, my family and i were a little disappointed. the staff were terribly unfriendly-glaring at us for every word we said, not serving us at all really. we got the artichoke crostini which was fabulous-the spread it is served with is tasty. i got the ale mushroom pie with mushy peas which was delicious. my brother had the burger of the day which he liked and my dad had the burrito which wasn't that good. for dessert we got the apple/apricot crumble with custard on the side. the custard was fantastic. one of the best things i have had in a while. however, the boys left still feeling hungry, which was surprising with such a high bill. add that to the bad service and we didn't have the best experience.

Pros: tasty choices

Cons: unfriendly service, left hungry

Lovely vegan cheesecake - Edit

This place was recommended to me by a vegan friend and an ex-vegetarian acquaintance. I had the ale pie with the mushy peas and chips. This is the first time I've actually enjoyed mushy peas, even if it was a bit on the salty side. My boyfriend had the burger of the day, which was made with red beans. Both mains were incredibly good. The waitresses seemed rushed off their feet, but they weren't unfriendly like the other reviewers have mentioned. Maybe it's because we went quite early for lunch, and they weren't very full yet. At any rate, their ginger tofu cheesecake with rhubarb compote was simply heavenly.

Pros: Convenient location, Take out available, Daily specials

Cons: Tables too close together

Very enjoyable, friendly environment - Edit

Following the recommendation of many Vegetarians on various Web sites, my wife and I recently visited the excellent Mildred's Vegetarian restaurant in Soho. The place was packed, but we only had to wait for a table for a couple of minutes Not bad for one of Soho's busiest eateries. Mildred's is a clean and simple no frills restaurant with tightly packed tables, but it has a great atmosphere and excellent food. I had the mixed mushroom, porcini and ale pie served with mushy peas and fries - my wife had the burger of the day with fruit relish and basil mayo served with leaf salad and fries. The hard working staff ensured we thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

Pros: Good food, Hard working staff, Very reasonably priced

Cons: Very close seating

Good Food, Bad Service - Edit

I've been here several times and it's always the same. OK to Good food, burgers are nice,sausages good, sweet potato fries great. Desserts good, always something for vegans. Unfortunately the design and the staff let it down. There is clearly something wrong with the management here, the staff are almost always miserable, unhelpful and slow.

Pros: good food

Cons: poor design (cramped), terrible staff

One of the best in London - Edit

Mildred's may not (quite) offer the best vegetarian food in London but it is one of the best places to eat. As the other reviews say, there is no booking and it can get very busy but, in a way, that's part of the fun and it does mean there is a lively atmosphere and, personally, I like to be in restaurants with people enjoying themselves. The menu is varied though does not change much with time and the food is well presented and tasty. And, as someone else has mentioned, it is a pleasure to find a choice of vegan desserts. Not to be missed if you are in London and vegetarian.

Pros: Ambience, Good food, Vegan desserts

Cons: No booking, Can be crowded

Great food but too crowded - Edit

Mildred's have a no booking policy and is very small so its not uncommon to wait. Arriving at 6:30pm I thought I'd beat the crowd but was wrong and had to wait a few minutes for a table which was very small and cheek-by-jowl with another table. Service is very friendly and efficient and I got my order very quickly. The food almost made up for the braying yuppies that inhabited most of the tables around me. The grilled artichoke crostinis were fabulous as was the sausge and mash. Rather pricey but on par with other Soho restaurants. If I could get the food in a larger restaurant or be able to book a table I would consider going back.

Pros: Excellent food, great service

Cons: Small, crowded, braying yuppies

good times - Edit

This restaurant was small and crowded but had a good atmosphere and good service. The meal was delicious (sweet potato fries was a tasty twist) and the value was on par with what you would expect to pay in Soho. Vegan desserts were very good as well. Six of us dined and all were impressed.

Pros: good food, good value, good vegan desserts

Cons: wait time for tables, crowded

Decent food, good for star spotting - Edit

Have been to Mildred's for several lunchtime meals over past year or so, always enjoy it (ale & something pie is great, mushy peas less so); agree with other reviewers that it's sometimes hard to get staff attention - very busy and noisy at lunchtimes. We've always seen familiar, sometimes famous faces there, as it's in the TV/Film/Show land of Soho, so if star spotting is your bag, go for that too!

Pros: Good food, Handy location, Famous faces

Cons: Noisy, Crowded tables