Mexican Radio

• Veg-friendly
Contact 212-343-0140

19 Cleveland Place (at Soho, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10012

Serves meat, vegan options available. Full service NY Mexican restaurant with extensive menu. Choose veggies/tofu/seitan in place of meat. Has vegan cheese and tofu sour cream. Sauces and mole are vegetarian.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by Sprout

Surprisingly Good! - Edit

I tend to be skeptical of vegan eating at non-veg restaurants, especially Mexican ones, but this one was great! They not only have vegan-friendly rice, beans and guacamole, but have vegan dairy substitutes (daiya cheese and vegan [tofutti?] sour cream).

I got a veggie fajita with seitan and all the fixings and it was great. The "veggies" was not just bell peppers and onions but a varied assortment (cauliflower and other stuff) and everything was cooked nice and tasty. My only complaint would be that it came with only 4 tiny small corn tortillas, but I'm sure you could get more if you want. I just ate about half of my large portion sans tortilla.

And the decor/atmosphere was colorful, a little dark, a little crowded and friendly (not atypical for Mexican places in the Northeast).

FYI, I ate here for dinner on Saturday, April 26, 2014 (late review). My non-vegan partner enjoyed her food too.

Pros: very vegan-friendly (faux options)!, delicious food, large portions

Need more places like this! - Edit

Went here with my very meat loving partner while visiting NYC from the U.K. Was a little unsure as there are very few reviews of this place online, but as it was nearby to where were staying we decided to try it out and i'm glad we did!

As a vegan i find it very difficult to eat out in regular places without feeling irritating and awkward. The menu was incredible, loads of vegan options clearly marked and asking for their vegan non dairy option in place of the cheese and sour cream didn't phase them at all! My non vegan boyfriend also had loads to choose from.

When the food arrived it was excellent, and plenty of it, although not too much! Service was quick although not all too friendly, although i might forgive this on account of how busy and stressed they seemed.

This is obviously a popular place with the locals and has yet to be discovered by the tourist crowd, as the staff seemed a little unsure of our rather pronounced english accents. We went on a friday late evening and the place was packed and had to wait 25 minutes for a table. If you want to go here i would recommend a reservation if you can get it or at least be prepared to wait a little while.

Pros: Great for your meat eating co diners, Loads of choice, Quick service.

Cons: Busy (not a bad thing really)

great veg mexican food in NYC - Edit

My girlfriend and I (both vegan) ate here last Thursday with a couple of friends (non-veg) while visiting New York. The nice portions, delicious vegan options, and great staff made for an excellent night. The prices are steep, but unlike Candle 79 which I have also reviewed, I felt that they could be justified. That is, except for the guacamole, which was $9 and disappointingly ordinary. The salsa, priced at $3 was great and is a much better option. My girlfriend and I had one enchilada with peppers and onions, vegan cheese and vegan creme and another with seitan, vegan cheese and vegan creme and they were simply fantastic. The beans, both black and pinto, and rice are all vegan and tasty. The atmosphere is wonderful, and honestly we all left with big smiles on our faces. If you are vegan and craving Mexican food in NYC, this should be your destination.

Pros: great service, delicious food, large portions

Cons: it's expensive

holy mole good! - Edit

You simply must try an enchilada with the chocolate mole sauce, filled with caramelized plantains. Trust me. This is an incredible flavor combo, and unlike anything I have ever had. Their chocolate mole sauce is also "award winning," and it's clear why. My second enchilada was filled with soy cheese (vegan) and it was also good. The cheese wasn't gooey melty, which was what I was hoping for, but it was tasty nonetheless. I wish I had tried another sauce for this one (not because I didn't like the mole, but just because I could--all enchilada sauces are vegan!) The portions are absolutely enormous. My non-veg brother was happy that there were non-veg options (so it;s a good place if you have a crowd of veg and non-veg diners). The vegetarian and vegan options are clearly marked, and the staff is very helpful and knowledgeable. The server recommended the mole and plantains enchilada, and he certainly knew what he was talking about. I'm not used to having to pay for chips and salsa at a Mexican restaurant, but the salsa was really fresh and delicious, so it paid off.

Pros: many vegan options, incredible mole/plantains enchilada, nice staff

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mexican Radio closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1911 times since Oct 2009.