May Kaidee's Vegetarian Restaurant - Samsen

• Friend
Contact 891373173

33 Samsen Rd, Soi 1, Banglamphu, Bangkok, Thailand,

Air-conditioned restaurant in Khao Sarn Road area making mostly Thai cuisine with a few western ones. Mostly raw. Offers an evening all-you-can-eat buffet. Multiple locations. Directions: from the river end of Khao San Rd, turn right onto Chakrapong Rd, the name changes to Samsen Rd, cross over canal bridge & look for "May Kaidee" on the left, at no. 33, before Samsen Soi 1. Open Mon-Sat 9:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Thai, Western, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by Lek

Mai Khaidee's behind Khaosan - Edit

I dined here for lunch today. I came here two years ago and May's other eatery on Samsen. This is a gem. May has sinced open an eatery in New York and one in Phnom Phen Cambodia. All the same style.
I had a mango smoothie, fried rice with vegetables and cashews. A plate of braised Thai aubergines, tofu and shitake. All delicious bill came to 220baht (34.8 baht to the $1) so was around $7. The pancakes does have eggs and honey. She also uses yoghurt (lassie). She combines her ethnic background Issan so many curry dishes. All range from 50-100 baht. Menu is large si check this Thai gem out. She does cooking classes during the week. Raw or Vegan the chefs all go to the markets to buy their fresh produce. Got two Happy Cows stickers. One for Samsen.

Pros: Not 100% vegan. and uses eggs and yoghurt., Great place to dine, All staff speak English

Cons: Tell staff your vegan as the pancakes has honey.

Tasty food - Edit

This is a really nice place off the busier main streets and there is a good range of choices - salads, soups, appetisers, mains, and desserts, as well as delicious juices and smoothies. The fresh spring rolls wrapped in rice noodles were particularly delicious! The main reason I'm writing this review, however, is to recommend the app that May Kaidee has produced, which is a fantastic resource for your travels around Thailand if you don't speak Thai. I've already used it to explain to people what I can't eat and it's great because it has written as well as audio translations and it really sorts out the fish sauce issue, which is often a danger here. A fantastic resource which I'd highly recommend!

Pros: Great range of choices, Delicious smoothies/juices, Amazing app

Best vegan restaurants - Edit

I am a pilot so I travel a lot. Out of all the places I have traveled to, Thailand is by far the best. One of the reasons Thailand is my favorite country is because of this restaurant! every single meal I had was the best I've ever had. The tom Kha soup , pad Thai, fried rice , are definitely my favorites. I unfortunately didn't have time to take a cooking class so I will have to return soon to eat at may Kaidees.

Pros: Friendly staff , Speaks some English , Amazing food

Delicious! Loved it - Edit

We had lunch at May Kaidees and it was very good. We shared the spring rolls (peanut sauce is to die for), duo dish, pumpkin hummus, all of which was enough for two people. We finished with a mango sticky rice which was easily the best we've had in Thailand!

Pros: Clean, Prompt service

Cons: Expensive compared to other options

Average vegetarian food - Edit

This restaurant has basic interior and average service. Pricing is reasonable (2 main dishes and a drink for 300 baht). The food is good but there is nothing special or remarkable about it.

Pros: Fully Vegetarian and vegan options

Cons: Not very exciting menu, Quality of the food is average

Excellent Food - Edit

The menu and food here is amazing. Almost everything is vegan. They have a Saturday night all you can eat buffet. They also have raw dishes such as Pad Thai or Pasta Pesto which taste so good. All of the dishes here taste amazing. They also sell beer. It is in a quieter location just away from the madness of Khao Sahn road.

Best in bangkok :) - Edit

We visited May kaidees twice on our visit through bangkok. The menu is bursting with exciting Thai dishes!
I had the stir fried pumpkin and tofu.... WOW! Portion size was just right and tasted so fragrant! Also we returned for there buffet on the Saturday evening....Was able to try all sorts of dishes all for an affordable price.....HEAVENLY!

Pros: good atmosphere , friendly staff, good portions

Cons: pumpkin humous...... wasn't humous!?!

A firm favourite of mine, for over 10 years. - Edit

I've Been coming to May kaidees restaurants in Bangkok since my first ever visit to Thailand in 2001. So as a genuine fan of her restaurants. I'm going to be brutally honest about what i'm about to say.

May's has always been a firm favourite of mine, hence returning year after year and taking part in, May's vegetarian cooking class and purchasing her cookery products, curry pastes etc.
Over the years as May has been busy with new projects including bringing a May Kaidee restaurant to the U.S.A. I've seen her less and less of her at her Bangkok restaurants. I have to be honest, I've noticed that the standard of service has gone down. We had breakfast at May's on our first day in Bangkok. We were early so asked to come back at 9.00am when they opened. So we did, and ordered strait away as we've been so many times before, I know the menu well.

It took 35 minutes to make one pancake and bring over two cups of tea. We were the only customers in the restaurant, but there were a great deal of staff. I remember we went there last year for breakfast at May's other restaurant, May was there and let us in early and made sure we were served promptly. I think when she's is not there, standards slip.
For our evening meal, we returned to the restaurant again. I had ordered deep fried tofu for my starter and vegan pad Thai for my main. After 30 minutes my pad Thai came, I presumed they had forgotten my starter. As I finished my main, the tofu suddenly arrived!

All this said, I think May's vegetarian food is the best I've tasted in Thailand and I look forward too many more meals there. It's just sad to think that such fantastic veggie business could louse such a good reputation from lack of service and efficiency.

However, i'm saying this in hope that things will improve. I love the food and speak highly of it where ever I go, and i look forward to eating at her restaurants again and again when in Thailand. So basically May Kaidee Samsen Rd, comes highly recommended by me!!

Pros: Good selection of food, Location, Lots of Vegan options!!

Cons: Bad service recently

Tasty food & friendly staff - Edit

I've choosen May Kaidee's from HappyCow online and found it in acceptable time.

Staff and service was friendly/good but English knowledge is rather poor - just enough to order a meal from the menu.

Food looked nice and was tasty. Portions were rather small especially when considering the price which is even for Bangkok rather high.

After all, it was worth a visit but for next trip to Bangkok I would probably try another one.

amazing little place, many options and cool vibe - Edit

we been two times to this place and can only say positive things about the food.. really tasty and special recipes made with much love. many options on the menu and staff is quite friendly and helpful. would definitely recommend it to anyone

Pros: many options, excellent food, family atmosphere

Cons: not so big portions, a little bit expensive

Little vegetarian heaven in Bangkok - Edit

Probably the best vegetarian food I had in Bangkok, some of the best Asian cuisine I've ever eaten. Definitely go there when you're in Bangkok, it's worth it!

Pros: Excellent food, Creative dishes, Very friendly and helpful

nice restaurant - Edit

Nice vegetarian restaurant with large menu. Good and freh taste. The springrolls are not fried and filled with raw salads.
A bit cheaper than other "tourist-restaurants".
Small portions (normal for thailand). Normal friendly staff.

Pros: freshness, vegetarian only, cheaper than other tourist-restaurants

Cons: small portions

Return to Bangkok Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has May Kaidee's Vegetarian Restaurant - Samsen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 12014 times.