May Kaidee's Vegetarian Restaurant - Samsen

• Friend

33 Samsen Road, Soi 1, Banglamphu, Bangkok, Thailand,

Air-conditioned restaurant in Khao Sarn Road area making mostly Thai cuisine with a few western ones. Offers an evening all-you-can-eat buffet. Multiple locations. Directions: from the river end of Khao San Rd, turn right onto Chakrapong Rd, the name changes to Samsen Rd, cross over canal bridge & look for "May Kaidee" on the left, at no. 33, before Samsen Soi 1. NOTE: The neighbors have tried to profit from May's success and puts out misleading signs next door - be aware. Mon-Sun 8:00am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Thai, Western, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by

Delicious! Loved it - Edit

We had lunch at May Kaidees and it was very good. We shared the spring rolls (peanut sauce is to die for), duo dish, pumpkin hummus, all of which was enough for two people. We finished with a mango sticky rice which was easily the best we've had in Thailand!

Pros: Clean, Prompt service

Cons: Expensive compared to other options

Average vegetarian food - Edit

This restaurant has basic interior and average service. Pricing is reasonable (2 main dishes and a drink for 300 baht). The food is good but there is nothing special or remarkable about it.

Pros: Fully Vegetarian and vegan options

Cons: Not very exciting menu, Quality of the food is average

Excellent Food - Edit

The menu and food here is amazing. Almost everything is vegan. They have a Saturday night all you can eat buffet. They also have raw dishes such as Pad Thai or Pasta Pesto which taste so good. All of the dishes here taste amazing. They also sell beer. It is in a quieter location just away from the madness of Khao Sahn road.

Best in bangkok :) - Edit

We visited May kaidees twice on our visit through bangkok. The menu is bursting with exciting Thai dishes!
I had the stir fried pumpkin and tofu.... WOW! Portion size was just right and tasted so fragrant! Also we returned for there buffet on the Saturday evening....Was able to try all sorts of dishes all for an affordable price.....HEAVENLY!

Pros: good atmosphere , friendly staff, good portions

Cons: pumpkin humous...... wasn't humous!?!

A firm favourite of mine, for over 10 years. - Edit

I've Been coming to May kaidees restaurants in Bangkok since my first ever visit to Thailand in 2001. So as a genuine fan of her restaurants. I'm going to be brutally honest about what i'm about to say.

May's has always been a firm favourite of mine, hence returning year after year and taking part in, May's vegetarian cooking class and purchasing her cookery products, curry pastes etc.
Over the years as May has been busy with new projects including bringing a May Kaidee restaurant to the U.S.A. I've seen her less and less of her at her Bangkok restaurants. I have to be honest, I've noticed that the standard of service has gone down. We had breakfast at May's on our first day in Bangkok. We were early so asked to come back at 9.00am when they opened. So we did, and ordered strait away as we've been so many times before, I know the menu well.

It took 35 minutes to make one pancake and bring over two cups of tea. We were the only customers in the restaurant, but there were a great deal of staff. I remember we went there last year for breakfast at May's other restaurant, May was there and let us in early and made sure we were served promptly. I think when she's is not there, standards slip.
For our evening meal, we returned to the restaurant again. I had ordered deep fried tofu for my starter and vegan pad Thai for my main. After 30 minutes my pad Thai came, I presumed they had forgotten my starter. As I finished my main, the tofu suddenly arrived!

All this said, I think May's vegetarian food is the best I've tasted in Thailand and I look forward too many more meals there. It's just sad to think that such fantastic veggie business could louse such a good reputation from lack of service and efficiency.

However, i'm saying this in hope that things will improve. I love the food and speak highly of it where ever I go, and i look forward to eating at her restaurants again and again when in Thailand. So basically May Kaidee Samsen Rd, comes highly recommended by me!!

Pros: Good selection of food, Location, Lots of Vegan options!!

Cons: Bad service recently

Tasty food & friendly staff - Edit

I've choosen May Kaidee's from HappyCow online and found it in acceptable time.

Staff and service was friendly/good but English knowledge is rather poor - just enough to order a meal from the menu.

Food looked nice and was tasty. Portions were rather small especially when considering the price which is even for Bangkok rather high.

After all, it was worth a visit but for next trip to Bangkok I would probably try another one.

amazing little place, many options and cool vibe - Edit

we been two times to this place and can only say positive things about the food.. really tasty and special recipes made with much love. many options on the menu and staff is quite friendly and helpful. would definitely recommend it to anyone

Pros: many options, excellent food, family atmosphere

Cons: not so big portions, a little bit expensive

Little vegetarian heaven in Bangkok - Edit

Probably the best vegetarian food I had in Bangkok, some of the best Asian cuisine I've ever eaten. Definitely go there when you're in Bangkok, it's worth it!

Pros: Excellent food, Creative dishes, Very friendly and helpful

nice restaurant - Edit

Nice vegetarian restaurant with large menu. Good and freh taste. The springrolls are not fried and filled with raw salads.
A bit cheaper than other "tourist-restaurants".
Small portions (normal for thailand). Normal friendly staff.

Pros: freshness, vegetarian only, cheaper than other tourist-restaurants

Cons: small portions

May Kaidee..number 1 in bangkok - Edit

Visited numerous times in October 2013 and January 2014. The food at May Kaidee is delicious, with a wide variety of dishes to boot. The location is great for backpackers very close to Khao San Road. Would strongly recommend the spring rolls (the peanut sauce accompanying it is delicious) but frankly everything on the menu was made to perfection.

Pros: Variety, Delicious, Excellent Service

Cookery Course And Evening Meal - Edit

The morning cookery course was good fun and taught the basics of preparing traditional Thai sauces and pastes. Ideal for veggie cooks who want to get to grips with producing basic, authentic Thai dishes. It was great to finally be able to make something that tasted like real Thai food. And May Kaidee herself breezed into the class and took over the teaching for an hour! Really looking forward to seeing if we can reproduce the dishes at home.. It's worth mentioning that you eat everything that you cook so perhaps go easy on breakfast...
The following evening we went to the restaurant for dinner. Although the food was perfectly acceptable, it wasn't as tasty as what we'd prepared in the class the previous day! The TV in the corner was showing a video of May making a Pad Thai, but the one we ordered didn't look very much like it! Presentation was lacking a bit. Have had better elsewhere. As a dining experience we prefer Ethos overall.. But the cookery course met our requirements perfectly!

Pros: New Skills, Celebrity Encounter, Good Vegan Selection

Cons: Inconsistent

Vegan food at its best - Thai style - Edit

I came to Thailand for a round trip with just a very few days to spend in Bangkok. As usually I had a printout from "Happy Cow" with me and I planned to visit several vegetarian restaurants in Bangkok.

May Kaidee's on Samsen Rd. was the first place on my list since it was closest to my hotel. I went there right after arrival, so quite tired.

The first thing I noticed was the warmth and friendliness of the staff which seemed genuine.

Everything on the menu looked great but about nothing was familiar to me. I was told it was all vegan which made it even better for me (they do serve milk with coffee on request, though) - but difficult to choose!

I asked for a recommendation. The staff member I talked to gave quite some explanations and inquired about my spice level which in the end we both defined as "medium" (for a Thai person, a European would rather call it "hot"). I am not 100% sure what the dish I had was called, but I think it was the Tom Kah soup. It did not only taste great (with the right spice level for me!) , but it had some energizing effect on me, due to all the fresh ingredients and spices I believe.

Well, I was hooked and did not make it to any other restaurant on my list, just went back to May Kaidee's as often as I could to try more of their food. And everything was just wonderful.

On my last day I bough a couple of souvenirs: their own cookbook and some of their teas and spices and curry mixes. Just a pity I could not make it to their cooking school - but I'll be back, some day!

Pros: great food, wonderful staff

Cons: no cons at all!

From good to great - Edit

May Kaidee's has become a travelers' institution in both Bangkok and Chiang Mai, and for good reason. I've never had anything i didn't like at May Kaidee's, and some of the dishes are especially great, especially when May herself is present.

My favorites are the "Zinger" juice (very refreshing) and the curries (which are among the most authentically Thai of her offerings, and can be spiced according to your preference).

Tip: If you're dining alone and want to try more than one or two items, ask for a "buffet" meal, by which they mean a tasting menu with several dishes. I had one recently for only 150B, which is fantastic value.

I prefer this location to the one in the alley off Khao San Rd.

Pros: Tasty vegan Thai cuisine, Reasonable prices for the quality

This very place serves the best food in Thailand - Edit

I am vegan for 15 years and know Thailand quite a bit: I state that May Kaidee's on Thanon Samsen is the best affordable vegan restaurant I've ever been.
Their vegan pad thai, for instance, is truly a marvel; it was better than on their Tanao location.
The service was great too (Feb-March 2013): the waiter, a young man, was always very friendly and spoke english well.

I can't support the comments saying the portions are small, the food mundane or the service perfectible: we went to this restaurant a few times during our trip and there we've got the largest portions of all our trip, the best service (besides the "31" in Krabi), and by far the tastiest food.
All in all the best value for money, hands down.

Pros: Marvelous food, Friendly staff, Good portions

Cons: Not spicy (or authentic) enough

mae queen - Edit

One of the best thai food restaurants worldwide. its very clean and the food is always made fresh. the buffet on the weekends is great as well and you will leave fuller than you can possibly imagine. they have free wifi and the setting is very relaxed. on the other hand, it is not very 'authentic'. if you are looking for an authentic thai experience this is not the place to go. the only people who eat here are smelly, hippy tourists with backpacks. if youre vegan, try the thai iced tea with coconut milk. ask for it! :) the cooking class is great too, if you are visiting and want a fun time!

Pros: great vegan food, english widely spoken, very clean environment

Cons: not authentic

Good food/small portions - Edit

The food here was very tasty and I have returned a few times to try other things. I thought the vegan sushi was rather nice.
As for he haw mok(spelled right?), well, it was very tasty, but it came in a bowl that you would normally server to a 5 year old. The food was gone in about 5 bites. Looking around at other tables made me realise that may kaydee is more about quality than quantity. All the portions are tiny. I recommend you go a little bit farther down and eat at ethos which is a bit more expensive but at least you'll walk away with a full stomach. The staff are really friendly and are always smiling, but its too bad they can barely speak english. It was difficult to ask what ingredients were in the food

Pros: everything looks so good, friendly smiles, tasty

Cons: not very cozy, small portions, poor english

ok - but Jenny's on Soi 4 (0r 3?) was better - Edit

May Kaidee's is an institution BUT feels more like a business than a friendly veg restaurant. Yes the food is good BUT we got the pitch for cooking lessons twice
our suggestion? Walk a little further down Samsen to soi 4 or 3 (we cant remember sorry) and eat at Jenny's - its cheaper and friendlier. Its not pure veg but their extensive menu for veg foods is wonderful! try the massaman curry and the som tam! yum

Pros: good veg food

Cons: buffet offers several nights a week, too many pitches for expensive classes, busy

I don't understand the hype - Edit

This was the first vegetarian restaurant I tried in Bangkok, and I was disappointed. Understood later that vegetarian food in Thailand simply isn't as good as in other Asian countries, but still, after reading so many happy comments about this place, I was surprised in a negative way. Nothing special.

Pros: Wifi, Easy to find

Cons: Boring food

A decent meal - Edit

May was there doing a cooking class and roped us all into dancing, it was great fun! :)
The food was good & lots of choice (although I must confess I preferred the food in Chiang Mai- sorry!)
I love the fact they do brown rice, hard to find in Asia!
Decent portions and a fair price.

Pros: friendly, good menu

Thai vegan cuisine at it's best - Edit

Located on a noisy thoroughfare a short distance from the tourist centre of Koh San Road, May Kaidee's has become somewhat of an institution in Bangkok. And with good reason. Upon arrival we were greeted by the warm smiles of the restaurant's friendly wait staff who were more than happy to tailor dishes to suit our taste preferences. But ordering just one from the double-sided, A3-sized menu posed a serious challenge, one that was almost certain to result in food envy! Our meals arrived in timely fashion and we were pleasantly surprised to discover that they were every bit as amazing as they looked on the menu, and tasted even better! And at around THB90 per dish were also highly affordable. Unfortunately we will have moved on by Saturday so will miss the weekly buffet, but imagine it's well worth a look. There's also a cooking school for anyone who fancies trying their hand in the kitchen. So if you're looking for a healthy and affordable dining alternative while in Bangkok, don't go past May Kaidee's!

I like this restaurant the most - Edit

Tried the Fried brown rice,noodle with green curry and sushi. It were so nice and delicious! and the price was cheap too, each dish was about 60-70 baht only.

Pros: nice food, reasonable price

Not as good as before - Edit

Well people always say "You should have been here 10 years ago" all the time. But in this case I started going to the original May Kadee's when she first opened and was hands on every day. Before the great expansion and business ventures and I must say my last few visits a few months ago after a 5 year absence were disappointing. The dishes are smaller, prices higher, service spotty in both locations I ate at. As well they seem to have opened a seafood restaurant down the soi which isn't exactly in the vegetarian ethos imo. I am happy that business is so good and all as May is very nice but unfortunately the most important aspects of dining were not there for me. They do have a good corner on the Banglaphu market as there don't seem to be many other reasonably priced pure veg places around at nighttime. In daytime you can eat for half the price at a traditional thai veg place.

Pros: healthy cuisine, tasty food, good location

Cons: smokers, small portions, expensive

Excellent - Edit

Some of the best Thai food I've ever tasted, with good sized portions too. The pad thai was particularly good, and the penang curry was great too.

Service is odd: I had to specifically request a plate and cutlery, and fill in the waiter's pad with my order! I also got the hard sell for the cooking classes (which do look good). Anyway, the service is a minor nitpick that doesn't really detract from the place.

Update: I came back in 2011 and tried the cooking classes, and they were fabulous and are highly recommended.

Updated from previous review on Saturday July 24, 2010

Pros: Food!

Cons: Service

Experiences - Edit

My (Thai) friends and myself made an appointment here to have dinner. As I have read in another review, it is indeed a bit hard to find, especially as they are renovating the front building. So now you have to find the alley that connects to the temporary dining location.
Indeed you write down your order yourself. This is not unusual in Thai restaurants.
Food was excellent. The owner even performed some Thai dances during our meal.

Pros: Price, location, entertainment

Cons: hard to find

Fantastic thai vegan cooking course - Edit

I went here in Feb 2011 to do the cooking course. It was fantastic. We prepared 14 dishes in about 3 hours. All the dishes were vegan except the pad thai (which traditionally has an egg, but I left this out). It was so much food that I ended up taking half of it away with me to eat later.

May is a beautiful person who is very passionate about vegetarianism. I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in thai cooking. I also recommend her cook book which you can buy there.

The only issue I had was finding this place. I had a terrible cab driver who had no clue where to go. I'd been in Bangkok one day and it was me who got us there in the end.

Pros: value, variety

Cons: hard to find

The best vegetarian chain ever. - Edit

I ate at both locations many times in Feb of 2006 and it was a true delight.

Memorable sticky rice with mango and banana. Was never disappointed in the food and would return in a second.

I also stayed in a guest room for a few nights. I really liked the accommodation in that it seemed to be a very authentic thai experience. However, I wouldn't recommend staying there- based on my belief that my particular room had bed bugs. (Corner bedroom) (All of the typical signs- wooden bed frame, many little spots of blood on the sheets and walls.) Perhaps they have taken care of this problem in the last 5 years. This wouldn't deter me from partaking in their wonderful vegetarian fare, though.

Her cooking course was memorable, delightful, and very educational! I loved that we started by going to the grocery store/market and were sent home with all of the recipes. I also took pictures of the ingredients so that I could more easily find them at home. She sang during the lesson and taught us her special May Kaidee song. So much fun! Amazing value at $20USD for 3 hours and a ton of delicious food. I have since cooked her recipes many times since returning home!

Pros: Great cooking course, Fantastic food, Very friendly staff

may_kaidee_team bignameactress,

We apologize for your experience at our guest house. We strive to offer a much better service than you were provided.

We had our building inspected and fortunately we do *not* have bedbugs, however we do have a termite problem. It's possible that you saw evidence of termites that in fact had eaten some of the wooden bed frame.

We've started to plan a complete renovation of the guest house, and expect to finish the project later this year - free of termites!... while offering higher quality accommodation overall.

We would like to offer you a free room at our guest house once the renovation is finished, on your next visit to Bangkok. Let us know.

Finally, thank you for separating your opinion of the guest house experience from the experience with our restaurants and cooking school.

- The May Kaidee Team

Yum Yum - Edit

Been there many times in 2010. Hope to go again. My review, see above. Tasty, varied, fun atmosphere.
Updated from previous review on Monday March 07, 2011.
Saturday night buffet for not very much (~150b, I forget exact figure), cheap.

Pros: taste, variety.

Inexpensive hearty fare - Edit

Originator of vegetarianism in Thailand, Mai Kaidee offers hearty, healthy stuff in a restaurant that could use some creature comforts and a lick of paint. It's all pretty standard- the carrot salad and the deep-fried seaweed with peanut sauce are highlights. The staff are all very friendly and you can't complain about the prices.

Pros: Inexpensive, Friendly, Decent food

Cons: Not very comfortable

No Fish Sauce Used - Edit

Just back from May's and it's as good as ever! I love her curries and everything she does. It does vary a bit between locations, but overall, always good. She was recently working on starting a US location but is now back and in charge of everything in her Bangkok locations. Her cooking classes are amazing and also recommended.

May Kaidee NEVER uses fish sauce in any of her cooking. Probably "Piscesylph" just saw mock / "faux" fish sauce bottles with pictures of fish on it. If you're in Bangkok, definitely swing by and give her food a try- see for yourself!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 06, 2005

Pros: Excellent Food, No MSG, All Vegetarian

Thai Food - Edit

Food in this little restaurant is cool with Thai style. I tried their Sotam (Thai Salad) yummy yummy if you are fans of spicy! I enjoyed it very much and will surely come back again.
p/s: But they do use garlic and onion. Please inform the kitchen if your diet is without G&O!

Pros: Healthy food, Fair price

Cons: Not that easy to locate

Friendly staff - Edit

This restaurant is located on a somewhat busy street, so it is a good thing that it is totally indoors with a front wall of glass (most restaurants in Thailand don't have a front wall/are open to the street).

I was at this place twice to pick up some take-away. The staff is very friendly and speak fairly good English. They have a variety of vegan choices on the menu. The food is fairly good. I actually prefer this place to the other May Kaidee's.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good English

Thai vegan cooking class!!! - Edit

Went to take the cooking class. learned to make 8 different thai dishes all vegan. I am now the thai curry cooking master (in my own mind). May Kaidee is the owner and she was there to teach the class. She is a fun, free spirit. I ate there several times while on vacation. the banana, mango and brown rice covered with coconut milk was amazing. :)

Pros: Amazing Food, Thai Vegan cooking classes, Very reasonable prices

Cons: None :)

May Kaidee's - Edit

We have been coming to May Kaidees for years... can't remember when, but since 90's. We find it a refreshing oasis for food. Last year we took the cooking class and it was marvelous...I suggest the 9 am one as you go to the market and shop with her, she's a hoot.
May is coming to New York in America and we hope to bring her to Colorado Springs this summer....
The staff at both places are terrific and frendly.
The buffet on Sat is our highlight... all for 99B which is $3. And free Thai Dancing demonstrations.. It's become quite the gathering place.
Deffinately put this in your computer and plan on enjoying it all-here.
We are currently renting a room for a month and have settled in well.
Thailand is a great place for vegetarian food. It's all over the street, food choices all over.
We were in China town the other day and asked about where to each vegetarian. It was written in thai. As we were in the heart of a crowded market, we were directed down an alley and lo and behold, there was a pure vegetarian tiny open air food stall... what good food and for less than $5 we both ate a huge lunch...yummy! Now we will see what Cambodia and Vietnam have for us... India is no problem, so we know we are fine there.
By the way, Bangkok has tons of indian restaurants as well. A vegetarian need never go hungry in this City... we love it!
Sharon & Ravi
Thanks May Kaidee for your inspiration and dedication and to the whole family who make it all possible.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value

Best part of a Bangkok visit - Edit

I've been through Bangkok so many times I've lost count over the years, and this is the place I head to every time. Great food, friendly staff. Like a little oasis in this big, often dirty city.

Pros: clean, affordable, healthy

Recommended by so many friends - - Edit

I am in Bangkok just for the weekend and last night I went to May Kaidee.

I had the "banana flower salad" with red rice - the flavors were just incredible.

I had the organic "mulberry leaf tea" which somehow is not yet on the menu but I overheard a Brazilian girl raving about it - it tasted heavenly.

May Kaidee is a wonderful restaurant!

An absolute vegan oasis in Bangkok - Edit

This is an absolute must for any vegan serious about eating truly vegan fare in Bangkok. Food is delicious, authentically vegan, and wholesome. Service is great, always served with a thai smile, and very affordable with big servings.

After spending a month in Thailand struggling over every meal to have it made without eggs, fish sauce, oyster sauce or animal fats, etc, it was a gift from heaven to fall into May Kaidees and meet May Kaidee herself and her sweet sister, who truly understand what vegetarian/vegan truly means, and make incredibly delicious fresh meals from scratch.

The papaya salad was great, and anything with peanut sauce was also delicious. We wanted to eat every single item on the menu, but only had time for two meals there.

Just a short walk from the popular Khao San / Banglumpoo area (north and over the bridge).

Pros: Vegan, Delicious, Big plates

May Kaidee for a HappyCow HappyLife - Edit

"May Kaidee II" on Samsen Rd. - a sanctuary - this is where I love to stay whenever I am in Bangkok for a few days.

To me it is "simply wonderful" & an amazing bargain both for the accomodation & for the superb food / drinks.

Home grown brown rice which is truly organic - carefully selected fresh produce - a good % of which comes from small growers who do not use chemical fertilizers / insecticides.

Great cooking by the team of May's aunties, cousins, nephews & nieces.

I still have to join one of May's singing & dancing half-day cooking classes.

The "Satay" which I loved back in the 90's has dropped off the menu but is still available by special request!

Good Times at May Kaidee's - Edit

We took the cooking class and ate here almost every time we were in the area. Such a crazy good time. The food is amazing (can't get enough of those banana coconut shakes). The cooking class was completely worth the investment, as we now make delicious food back home. Sap! Sap! (tasty, tasty)

Pros: Menu is nicely laid out, Staff and May Kaidee so friendly, food delicious and well priced

Cons: Simply not enough tables - its that good

a great place - Edit

The May Kaidee's Vegetarian Restaurant II is a really nice and small restaurant wich propose a large traditional thai dishes in a vegan way. People are really nice... It's a non-smoking area, really quiet (May Kaidee's I is more noisy)with good portions.
extremely recomanded

Return to Bangkok Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has May Kaidee's Vegetarian Restaurant - Samsen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 10849 times since Aug 2007.