Loving Hut

Kolmas Linja 17L1, Helsinki, Finland, 00530

Part of international chain of vegan restaurants inspried by Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Offers an all-you-can-eat buffet with a large selection of food, including tofu, seitan, pasta, rice, casserole, pizza, burgers, salad; plus cake, coffee, and non-alcoholic beverages. Originally was Ho Dai at Albertinkatu 12. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Buffet, Asian, Vietnamese

First Review by emilyt_w

Excellent - Edit

Well located, very close to a metro station. Food is very tasty. All buffet choices are vegan. Price is very low.

Pros: Great value for money, Good location, Friendly staff

Cons: No desserts

open on holidays - Edit

Tasty buffet. Wish they'd had desserts!

One of the few vegan places in Helsinki - Edit

The menu of the buffet is kind of cross kitchen. Quality of the selection varies a bit - for example hummus is nothing special but warm dishes are tasty. They have quite "meaty" dishes and they are well seasoned.

Little minus of the instant coffee. I understand that since the flow of customers is moderate and there are quiet times, coffee on the heater would taste bitter. But maybe a thermos?

Pros: Vegan place, Fulfilling buffet, Nice owner

Cons: Instant coffee

So loving vegan restaurant in Helsinki - Edit

Food are so amazing. Price are cheap with quite a lot of options. Buffet style. The owner is super inspiring. 100% vegan.

Pros: Perfect Asian vegan food, Clean, Relaxing

Hungry vegan in Helsinki. - Edit

As a person, who works hard in construction, and burns a lot of calories - the buffet type of restaurant sounded the most appealing. And since I am a whole foods, oil free vegan - I decided to just go, and eat anything, that is oil free. So glad I did! Tina's English was good to communicate, and when she found out that I eat oil free - she gave me the most pleasant surprise of a lifetime! She said - just sit down and wait a moment, and I'll make for you the food without oil. While I was enjoying the salad, which already was oil free...after ten minutes I had a large sushi roll...and after another 10 minutes - absolutely delicious fried rice with veggies, and fried tofu in an amazing sauce, which gets delivered there from Holland by Tina's friends. She is such a fast and excellent cook, and such a friendly and welcoming person to talk to! Tina has gained her experience also working in vegan restaurant in France for four years, and her delicious tofu she makes of her own, on the spot (you can even by it). I was worried that I got there too late (half an hour before closing time)...but, no worries - you can easily, stress free finish you meals, even if you get there a few seconds before six. The food totally "hit the spot", and the warm welcome put a smile on my stone cold face :D. So, in conclusion, if you are a whole foods oil free vegan - don't hesitate, just get your ass over there, and enjoy the most delicious, costume made food by a real pro. This is the most affordable, underrated place of awesomeness in Helsinki - the simplicity, warmth, the joy of sharing and making others happy. Definitely a regular costumer, whenever I'll be in Helsinki!
PS. Half of the four Tina's tofu pieces, that I bought yesterday, are already gone - they taste so fresh and pure! Thank you, Tina!!! :) :) :)

Pros: Friendly, higly skilled, vegan cook., Delicious food, Very affordable.

Cons: I live too far.

A bargain - Edit

Cheap vegan buffet. Most places in Helsinki seem pretty expensive so this gets top marks for value. Staff were friendly. Food was tasty and varied.

Happy I tried Loving Hut. - Edit

Loving Hut will be my go to eatery in Helsinki now. The food, 100% vegan, was delicious. The buffet was a nice mix of sushi, couscous w veggies, potatoes, cabbage and then the cooked veggies with tofu and seitan with a seasoned rice and white rice to accompany. Tina lovingly makes her tofu fresh everyday being mindful and caring for the health and well being of her customers. There is a carafe of water to drink and several hot teas to choose from. I enjoyed eating here and talking to Tina. The restaurant was very clean and comfortable. I especially like the pictures of famous vegans on the wall as elite plant based athletes encouraged me to choose this lifestyle.

Pros: Healthy delicious food., Great conversation., Excellent value.

Cons: None.

Buffet bien de precio - Edit

Comida asiática vegana a buen precio. Llegamos muy tarde y parecía que faltaban cosas, con un poco más de variedad merecen las 5 estrellas.

Pros: precio , comida

Cons: variedad

cheaper alternative to silvoplee - Edit

This restaurant is one block behind silvoplee which is the probably best vegetarian restaurant in town. The buffet in this one wasn't as good but it was cheaper at around 10 euros. The food was a bit hit and miss, but in a buffet this isn't a problem since you can choose what you like.

The staff was friendly. They would probably have more business if they weren't so close to Silvoplee.

Pros: same price as non vegan lunch places, fully vegan

Cons: tables didn't seem clean, not exactly the most pleasant looking interior, location not easy to get to unless you live nearby

Not for me - Edit

If you want to eat a cheap all you can eat vegan food, this is a perfect place for you.

It was unfortunately a big disappointment for me.
Food was not good (over cooked, not warm enough, and found a hair in the food).

The place was cold and the food was also not warm, so left me cold in a mid winter...

The staffs do not speak English but friendly.

Pros: Cheap, Friendly staff

Cons: Not good food, Cold place and food, Away from city center

Great value buffet - Edit

Very nice fully vegan buffet, which included three hot dishes - during my visit a tofu curry, imitation beef curry, and paella-type dish, as well as sushi, a selection of salad items, potatoes, sauces, and hot drinks. Refills of food and hot drinks were allowed, so all in all it was very good value at 9,80 Euros per person. There doesn't seem to be a non-buffet menu or cakes etc, but at that price I'd just go for the buffet anyway - everything was delicious and after two plates I was full for the whole afternoon.

Pros: inexpensive, tasty, free refills

Cons: no toilets

Excellent lunch restaurant - Edit

Lunch contains two warm dishes, a salad table with sushi collection and coffee/tea and everything is vegan. I had vegan "beef" and noodles which were both super delicious. Sushi rolls were a little bit dry but otherwise everything else was fresh and tasty.

Pros: Good fake meat selection, Fusion kitchen (hummus & sushi lunch), Beautiful interior and friendly staff

Cons: Cash only but this will be changing soon

Friendly Asian, like Loving Hut - Edit

While visiting Finland in May/June 2012 I ate with HoDai people about 3 times: once I went to their restaurant in Helsinki and a few times I ate with them in festivals.
It was a nice experience meeting the friendly staff, receiving good service and yummy food.

They were not 100% vegan by the way, since they offered dairy milk and cream with coffee in their restaurant but they told about it and offered also soy milk.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good food, Good service

Cons: Unclear opening times, Sometimes crowded during lunch hour

Nice asian buffet - Edit

We visited this little restaurant during a short stop in Helsinki. Staff was very friendly and the food was nice. Some hot dishes including vegan fish (which tasted a lot like fish if you like that) personally i perfered the other hot dishes since i'm not a big fan of the fish taste but still a fun thing to try. They also had some cold dishes like sallads, sushi and such.

Pros: Nice food, Friendly staff, Easy to find

The restaurant I have been waiting for - Edit

My first taste of the cuisine of this venue was at a fast food stand some years back at a music festival. Their spring rolls were big and tasty. Then I found out that they have the Loving Hut restaurant chain and I've been wishing they open a restaurant near me. Now I'm very happy Ho Dai opened in Helsinki. Not only do they have fast food spring rolls but a really great buffet with various dishes and salads and it was really really good. I'm not a friend of faux meat dishes but their "duck" and "fish" (vegan, of course) were interesting and good. I really support their philosophy too, saving the world by going vegan. I wish their restaurant succeeds in business and they can expand to other cities. Helsinki now has almost as many vegetarian restaurants you would expect in a capital city.

Pros: variety, taste, pure vegan

Cons: I don't live next door to it

You better hope they are open or can be contacted - Edit

My family and I had one day to spend in Helsinki and we thought this would be a great lunch restaurant based on a previous review. We could not reach them by phone internationally, there was no e-mail address and when we got there after walking for a while with kids from the ship terminal, they were closed at lunch time on a Wednesday. It was not a Finnish holiday, they were open the day before. There was no notice on the door or anything. We came back an hour later in hopes that they would be open, and they never were. It sounded like a great place, however since there seems to be no way to contact them internationally we'll never know. Needless to say we were very dissapointed.

Pros: hip neighborhood, looked decent from outside, friendly neighbor

Cons: closed midweek on lunch, unreachable by phone, unreachable by e-mail

Fresh, asian & lovely service - Edit

Glad we ventured to find this small, quiet place. Buffet style with fresh mainly asian feel vegan (run by vietnamese family who speak finnish and vietnamese only - really lovely, they insisted we take food take away because we didn't go back for seconds, because we were so full!). Cheap meal for a buffet - $7.90 euro. Well worth it for a lovely meal with vegan and non-vegan friends would enjoy if you're in Helsinki :)

Return to Helsinki Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Loving Hut closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.