Los Gorditos - SE Division

Contact 503-445-6289

1212 SE Division St, Portland, Oregon, USA, 97202

Serves meat, vegan options available. Mexican food place with a few outlets. Offers a vegan menu list. Reported uses separate grill area for vegan items.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by lilmammal

You had me at Vegan Menu! - Edit

Love this spot! I have to constantly fight the urge to go again because I also like going to new places, especially with so many to eat at in Portland. But we end up coming back time and time again. Awesome mexican food, killer salsas, cheap, and large portions, separate vegan menu, multiple "meat" choices(tofu, soy curls, soyrizo). What else do you want? My favorite are the enchiladas, but you can't really go wrong with anything.

Pros: Cheap, Authentic, Soycurls!

Cons: Also serves meat.

Nice surprise - Edit

I accidentally discovered this place when my omnivore friends wanted to go for burgers (which I did not..), I turned the corner and stepped in to see if they had any vegan options. I asked the usual question and the girl said: sure, check the vegan menu". I then realized that they not only could veganize any dish but already had a full blown vegan menu. Sweet!

I had a Garbage Burrito (thus, with all fillings at once) and an extra guacamole. All sauces are vegan (and pretty darn spicy). The burrito was huuuuge and I was full after eating half but, I ate it all, mainly due to it being very tasty.

And all this for only $8.50.

Pros: Price, Friendly, Large portions

Cons: Serving animal products, Interior

Super nice people, but... - Edit

I feel like a heel for placing a mediocre review because the people at this place are so nice, even when I imagine they have to explain frequently that they don't take credit cards. I've had almost all the vegan filling options, and unfortunately, I always tell myself that that's the last time I'll go to Los Gorditos. The salsas are spicy and delicious, but since I think the fillings are bland, I feel like I'm basically just eating salsa. The soyrizo filling tastes over salty to me. This seems like a popular place, and I'm glad that it's here to serve the vegan market. I just can't say that I love the food.

Pros: Vegan menu, Friendly staff

Cons: No credit cards

OK Mexican - Edit

They have a few locations and I went to the one right next to Prasad instead of the one next to Portobello. I enjoyed my meal - first time trying soy curls - and my plate was heaping with food. The refried beans were good and their hot sauces were HOT. They have a fun salsa station to add pickled veggies and sauces. I thought the meal was ok but I wouldn't scope it out again.

great food and spicy too! - Edit

If you like lots of options and items ranging from low cal to "bring on the high carbs!" This is the place for you. Great options and good prices. Best homemade hot sauce options in town with one sauce that will knock your socks off!

Pros: hot sauce, meat substitutes, vegan menu

Cons: order at counter, environment is cafeteria like with hard surfaces

A Little Heavy...But Good Nonetheless - Edit

My bf and I each got the soyrizo burrito when we went to Los Gorditos. The first few bites were amazing, because we were absolutely starving. About 2/3 of the way through, we started to feel pretty heavy...but it tasted good...so we kept going. Our stomachs didn't feel too great afterward, which is probably our fault mostly. My main issue with this place is they totally messed up our order...time and time again. We were in a hurry to get to the airport and we must have waited over half an hours for BURRITOS. Goodness gracious.

Pros: decent food, large portions, lots of vegan options

Cons: long wait, poor service

Many vegan options - Edit

They have an entire (2-page) vegan menu. Finally a Mexican option that is truly veg! The Soyrizo Enchiladas are terrific, as was the vegan Empanda Relleno plate. All of the classics have been veganized. The portions are large and the items are inexpensive. The dining room wasn't a particularly nice space, but in the summer I imagine the outdoor seating is quite nice.

Pros: vegan, cheap

Cons: cash only, so-so environment

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Los Gorditos - SE Division closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1750 times since May 2010.