First Review by Seitan_Nic

Solid - Edit

We had the pepian and the grilled veges. The veges were delicious but a very simple meal - the kind of thing we would whip up very quickly at home. My husband liked the pepian but I was not overly impressed. It tasted a bit like a bland korma curry to me. We haven't had any other pepian so that may just be how it is supposed to taste. It was pretty expensive for Antigua, but is in the swankiest area and the difference in quality compared to other nearby eateries was significant. (We had some shockingly bad and overpriced vegan meals here.)

Pros: fresh food, colourful

Good pepian, good atmosphere - Edit

This restaurant has three locations, the one given here, and around the corner two more just across the street from one another, all with identical menus:

5a. Avenida Norte No. 5 - (502) 7832-2696
3a. Calle Poniente No. 7 - (502) 7832-0507
5a. Avenida Norte No. 12 - (502) 7832-0507

We ate at two of them. There are only two vegetarian options (both vegan), the pepian and the grilled vegetables. But they are both good. The ambiance is also good. Their cafe de olla was really amazing (and vegan).

There was some concern that the tamale might have some meat base -- perhaps just a general fear that most do -- but the waiter swore that was not the case. It's easy to get paranoid about such things.

Pros: ambiance, pepian, service

Cons: few veg options

interesting place with a few great dishes - Edit

Definitely worth checking out... it's one of the fancier, and more "storied" places in Antigua (chairs read things like: "Francis Ford Coppola sat here" and Bill Clinton's, uh, visit features prominently on the walls).

What I do love at this place is the Vegetarian Pepian. This is a truly special Guatemalan dish and here is one of the few places that I've truly enjoyed it. While I'm a bit curious about an earlier poster's claim that they felt there was chicken stock in it, I was told quite emphatically by the manager that this wasn't the case and that they have many long-term veggie clients (lots of rich folks from the capital use this as their go-to place in Antigua).

It's worth investigating a bit more, but I'd like to think it's because they use a lot of the special ingredients that make these dishes noteworthy; roasted/ground sesame, pumpkin seeds, black chiles, etc.

Pros: schmancy, tasty, right at the park

Cons: often full, spensive, perhaps slightly questionable

enRoute ...quick note on this, "La Escudilla" is an entirely different restaurant on another street and has no relation to La Fonda. La Escudilla used to offer some nice veggie options, but it's gone downhill lately. This confused me several times till I figured out the real deal: "La Fonda de la Calle Real" is the correct name and there are actually three branches within one block of each other. Currently investigating to ensure that no animal stock is used in their vegetarian menu dishes.

Good for Fancy Guatemalan Food - Edit

We visited three times in June, 2009. You eat in a beautiful courtyard at lunch but over where the roof is at dinner, with candles. This is not a vegetarian restaurant at all, but it does have a solid vegetarian section of the menu with several options, all vegan as best I could tell. The "cristianos and moros" dish of rice and black beans was wonderful, as was the marinated grilled vegetable dish; my son reports the third entree was good but I avoided it due to a distaste for cilantro. The other two listed were really side dishes. It was lovely ambience and friendly staff, in a town where having a vegetarian section on the menu definitely needs to be encouraged. Prices were on the high side but not at all out of line, especially for the beautiful atmosphere and good food.

Pros: excellent food, beautiful atmosphere, local cuisine

Cons: veg section of menu, not veg restaurant

I Was Pretty Disappointed - Edit

While they have a decent number of vegetarian choices, their portion sizes were small, and the quality of their food wasn't that great. The worst part is that towards the end of the meal, I started suspecting that the rice (I had the tofu curry) tasted like it had chicken stock (I didn't notice until I had a bite of rice without the curry). At that point (after I'd eaten most of the meal), I honesty didn't want to know, so I didn't ask. There are better places to eat in Antigua (several places there are vegetarian friendly such as Traveler Menu or Cafe Flor, though none are 100% vegetarian).

Pros: friendly, atmosphere

Cons: small portions, not very good food, questionable items

Good place to stop in Antigua - Edit

Very nice people. They were very perplexed by our dietary needs but had vegan options all the same. The restaurant was closed so we had to buy a bunch of to go food from their little cafe/storefront... A shame to waste all that plastic. One day composting and recycling will reach Guatemala....

Pros: Good food, Nice people, Vegan options

Return to Antigua Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Fonda de la Calle Real closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1206 times since Oct 2007.