Vegan-friendly
Take-out
Mexican
Breakfast
Non-veg

Serves meat, vegan options available. In 2017 this Mexican restaurant introduced vegan menu alternatives of classic dishes. Among the choices are soyrizo tacos, jackfruit enchiladas, tortas with nopal, breakfast burrito, and vegan chocolate cake for dessert. Open Wed-Sun 12:00pm-8:00pm. Closed Mon-Tue.

Venue map for La Charrita
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by glassesgirl79

KimberParrish

Points +28

05 Sep 2023

Most vegan options in town

Every meal I've had from this restaurant is the best! They have a full vegan menu and lots of variety. Trust me you will be blown away. I will say, I've only had take out from here, because the dining area is on the small side.

EmilyPrice

Points +306

16 Jul 2023

Lovvvve this spot.

My favorite vegan options in SC! Half the menu is non vegan but the other half is so they have not just “a few options for the vegans” but a reallllly great selection.

The enchiladas with red sauce are my favorite. But everything I’ve tried has been great- a lot of meat substitute options that aren’t just beyond meat- more homemade option like nopalitos etc.

Pros: Good prices , Great options for gf

Cons: No alcohol lol

Beetay

Points +58

Vegetarian
28 Nov 2022

Recommended by Farm Sanctuary

When an animal sanctuary recommends a restaurant, y’all better pay attention.

While La Charrita Mexican restaurant is not 100% vegan, they advertise the fact that they are vegan friendly and are all that. Starting with an analog seasoned soy pork substitute called adobaba, they offer jackfruit, mushroom soy, soyrizo/cauliflower analogs that rival traditional Mexican proteins, and taste freaking amazing.

Even if you are not vegetarian or vegan, you will love the food that this small family owned restaurant offers…..go show them some love.

Thank you Farm Sanctuary for recommending them

cmnall

Points +16

23 Oct 2022

When’s the last time you had truly excellent vegan Mexican food? We just did.

Since one of us went vegan, it’s been years. This place goes well beyond “vegan options.” This places seems to be more like a vegan restaurant with meat options, than the other way around. Three pages of the menu are fully vegan dishes, including hard to find items like vegan mole and wet-style burritos. There was not just one vegan meat option but multiple: soy curls adobado (?), jackfruit, Soyrizo, and mushroom based fillings. Tortillas taste homemade. The menu is allergy friendly as well.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Large servings, Reasonable prices a

Cons: Tortilla chips weren’t as good as main dishes.

JulienneSlice

Points +1487

22 Oct 2022

Vegano Mex

Very delicious Mexican vegan offerings from this family owned and operated establishment. Their marinated jackfruit is delicious & flavorful in any dish! The highlight of La Charrita is their authentic recipes and true respect and love for quality plant based food. The family and staff are very sweet and accommodating and make you feel welcomed. Their popularity is increasing as more and more of their menu is transitioned to a near full vegan menu.

I recommend the super flavorful loaded breakfast burrito, the crispy potato tacos plate, adobada tacos, the flautas plate with guacamole, the tostada de cerviche-cauliflower and the agua frescas. The entire vegan menu has so many great options you can’t go wrong.

Updated from previous review on 2021-06-11

Pros: Vegan menu, Vegan Agua Frescas, Flavorful

theevword

Points +670

12 Oct 2022

CLUTCH low key Vegano Mexican spot in SCV

I didn’t know this was going to have THIS many vegan options. Seriously l half the menu is vegan & they have a separate vegan menu so it’s easy. You can basically get anything and they have like 6 vegan meat options. My favorites are the Flautas, Wet Burrito, Nachos & Enchilada combo. This place needs to be talked about more lol

Pros: SO many vegan options , Several vegan meat choices for any plates , Great portions

Cons: Wet burrito ain’t wet enough

DeliaDanaeRawdon

Points +108

18 Aug 2022

Unexpected Surprise

We were passing through Santa Clarita and was pleasantly surprised to see their sign that clearly states Vegan Friendly. We pulled over to check it out. I ordered the Nachos with Jack Fruit. It came out quick and was rather yummy although it was a little spicy.

Pros: Nice staff , Affordable , Big vegan menu

Cons: A little spicy

RachaelGarel

Points +18

13 Jul 2022

Fantastic food, great service.

Everything I’ve tried is delicious. Wish they opened earlier than noon so I could try their breakfast options.

Pros: Full separate vegan menu

Cons: No alcohol on the menu

mjoneill2360

Points +13

Mostly Veg
06 Jul 2022

Awesome food and service!

This place was great bc there is a regular menu AND a vegan menu that has just as many options as the non-vegan one. The soy-coliflor “vegano meat” option was very tasty, as well as everything else that we got! The food also came out crazy fast - I don’t think we were even waiting for 10 mins. I would definitely come again if I lived in the area!

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Lots of non-vegan options, Great service

Veganism_Heals!

Points +108

05 Jul 2022

It's alright.

I've been here a few times and it's just not that good. I feel that if I'm going to eat out it better be worth the money. I did give it plenty of tries.

Updated from previous review on 2022-07-05

Pros: Vegan options

Cons: Not that tasty

Ronil1981

Points +34

15 May 2022

Great food and awesome service

Great vegan options and very customer service orientated place

Pros: A separate vegan menu, Reasonable price, Friendly service

hannahtheshank

Points +37

02 May 2022

Delicious and filling!

I always love ordering from La Charrita. All of the vegan options I've tried so far have been delicious and I'm looking forward to trying more! The portion sizes are great.

crystal_energy

Points +131

20 Apr 2022

Missing veggies

2022.APRIL 20- Vegano Breakfast Burrito($13/14 w/tax) chef forgot the tomato, onion, cilantro, none to be found, pls update the wording potatoes to “tater-tots”, would have ordered another item if listed correctly. Basically paid for tator-tots, very little tofu-egg and maybe soy-rizo??
Bummed out, was looking forward due to the great reviews. Maybe another item/shift will be better.
On the bright side; over the phone and in the restaurant when I entered to pick up, the guy was professional/good customer service.

Pros: Many vegan options, Hopefully nxt time will be better???

Cons: Incorrect menu wording , Veggies missing from order

sophieoril

Points +56

28 Feb 2022

Great food, but...

The food here is amazing! I am a vegan and I was elated at how many choices I had. The rest of my family is not vegan and they also loved their menu options and meals. My only problem is that when I went yesterday (02/26/22), everything was served to us on disposable plates and bowls, the chip bowls being styrofoam, and we were given plastic utensils. As an environmentally-conscious consumer, this was hard for me to get past. I was not expecting this and I see from the pictures posted on this Yelp page that usually this is not the case. I don't want to be too harsh in my rating because I don't know if this is pandemic related or if something happened to the dishwasher, but if you're avoiding unnecessary waste I would recommend you bring your own utensils and such just in case.

Pros: Lots of vegan options

Cons: Using all disposable dinnerware

not.__.anna

Points +65

11 Jan 2022

Food is Great

I love all the options but the location isn’t great and inside isn’t the best because it’s very small. I’d definitely come back for the food though.

harrysandy

Points +338

20 Oct 2021

Great

There is a choice of protein for the tacos, we always get the adobada protein, it’s Ethiopian spiced soy nuggets—SO good. Then we eat across the street at the picnic tables in beautiful park

Pros: Love the tacos vegano, Great rice and beans, Across from a beautiful park

Cons: Take out soup comes in a plastic container , Close too early

JamesH42

Points +128

30 May 2021

Get rid of the meat & I'd give 5

What a great little place we were craving Mexican on our drive back to the Bay. We found this place on HC and so glad we did. Nachos Veganos were bomb, Jackfruit Taquitos were fire.

Updated from previous review on 2021-05-30

Pros: Huge Vegano menu, 4 types of vegan meat GF natural meat options, Great service family restaurant clean n welcoming

Cons: Not a fan of Daiya type vegan cheese, Vegan friendly vs Vegan restaurant , Paper plates and plastic utensils

BabzBabz

Points +56

31 Dec 2020

Huge Entirely Vegan Menu deserves 5 stars

The vegan menu is epic, and everything is delicious. The "carne" en jugo is so flavorful that I never get sick of it, and the vegan posole is so delicious too. All the other options are equally good, just consistent quality Mexican food you'd expect from recipes handed down (and cooked) generation to generation. If I remember correctly, the vegan family members worked with their own parents to modify vegan recipes while ensuring the authenticity of all flavors and textures.

Pros: Best vegan Mexican food I've ever had, Has a massive vegan menu

Cons: Not a fully vegan restaurant , Service can be a little slow when busy (worth it)

froggy

Points +148

17 Oct 2020

It deserves 5 stars

This is the best vegan mexican food you're gonna get. Mom and pop restaurant, authentic, fun, and delicious. Not too pricey and portions are generous. This is a staple in our family.

k.316

Points +21

18 Sep 2020

Absolutely delicious!

So excited we found this place. The food is absolutely amazing and we feel so lucky that it’s in our neighborhood. Not just good for vegan Mexican food. Fantastic Mexican food, period. Our new favorite! Yum!

Pros: Vegan menu, LOTS of delicious options, Convenient location

Cons: Not my favorite chips and guacamole

madiveganfoodz

Points +30

09 Aug 2020

Highly Recommend!

I’m obsessed with La Charrita vegan menu. The jackfruit tacos or sopes and horchata is my go to.

Pros: Whole vegan menu. Not just options. , Organic ingredients.

caresaboutcreature

Points +16

27 Jun 2020

They have a full vegan menu and the food is delicious!

Found this little gem of a restaurant in my neighborhood. They have a full dedicated vegan menu and makes their own vegan meats. Delicious food and friendly staff!

Pros: Friendly staff, Delicious food

JenJen

Points +27

06 Jul 2019

Authentic Mexican Food

Their food is so amazing!! They have so many non traditional vegan meat options and the service is always fantastic.

Pros: Separate vegan menu, Polite staff

Cons: Nothing bad could be said about this place!

Kplant

Points +3835

25 May 2019

Authentic Mexican Food

So terrific for an area with few vegan options this place is way above. A full vegan menu. Delicious food made in house and /or special chefs that makes the raspberry chocolate cake.

Pros: They can prepare gringo style on request or , Authentic Mexican spicy

Cons: A little hard to find. It is across the street , From Hart Park.

dan927

Points +66

13 Feb 2019

THE Best Vegan Mexican Food!

La Charrita is my favorite place to eat out, and is the best Mexican food that I've eaten. It's so good that I've introduced at least four of my friends from out of town to the place and chose it as the destination in my family's offer to take me out for my birthday. It's easily the most showoff-able place for a vegan living in Santa Clarita (there isn't a single fully plant-based place here). Once the theater in Downtown Newhall opens, I imagine that the restaurants nearby, including La Charrita, will become much busier on weekends.

The carne en jugo vegana is my favorite dish, and it is easily shareable, if you prefer to share a bit of every dish with friends as I do. It comes with your choice of corn or flour tortillas. I've ordered it every single time that I've come here aside from my very first time, before I knew better.

I've also tried the jackfruit tacos (delicious!!!), cauliflower tacos, jackfruit flautas, torta with cactus "meat," chile verde burrito, mole burrito, birria burrito, sopes (I don't remember if it was jackfruit or cauliflower) as well as the horchata (mmm!), tamarindo, and jamaica. The flan for dessert is also excellent, though they don't always have it. There are many dishes I'd still like to try, including many from the breakfast menu, which I've neglected to-date.

(Note: If getting the three tacos, all must have the same "meat," so order one á-la-carte if you're looking to sample).

The vegan menu is separate from the omni menu (front and back of the last page), which eliminates the mental strain of figuring out which dishes come plant-based versus which need to be modified (as is the case at many other veg-friendly restaurants).

It's a cute and small place and there is often only one server working, so be prepared for a little bit of a wait. In other words, you may want to think twice about the timing of your visit here if you are in a hurry and the place is fairly full. Wait until you aren't in a hurry so that you can relax. It'll be worth it.

The location is easily missable, as it's a bit tucked away and most visible from Newhall Ave. I recommend taking Main St., where it's much easier to turn and then fit in the diagonal spaces in the parking lot. For reference, look for the Labor Ready or State Farm, or for the dentist office on 6th and Main. If the spaces are full, there's usually plenty of parking on Main St. or the lot across the street (near the new art-related stuff).

Updated from previous review on 2019-02-13

Pros: Absolutely delicious food & drink, cozy & inviting, No confusion at all about which dishes are vegan, In an area with increasing entertainment options

Cons: Service likely to be somewhat slow at peak times, Finding the location can be confusing at first

Ethan-DianeDelgado

Points +12

10 Jun 2018

Best Green Salsa

The Vegan Chiliquilles with green salsa!! I could eat every day. So far I've tried the menudo and torta. All equally delicious.

StaceyMarie

Points +34

07 Apr 2018

Delicious Vegan Mexican!

My family and I wanted to spice things up a little from our usual local eateries so we drove almost an hour to try this place out. We were not disappointed! Everything was delicious. I was totally shocked by their vegan flan, partly because I have never liked flan, but theirs was so good.