First Review by kindlizard

A lot of good stuff but Expensive - Edit

I go there for the deli stuff mostly, but when a store has jars of spaghetti sauce for 8 bucks and they are overly picky about what they sell it's pushing it.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 08, 2014

Pros: Good Deli, Healthy

Cons: Expensive

good salads rude employees - Edit

I like the kiva the store carry's grass fed beef and few other items i use. They have great salads and sandwiches but the people who work here are rude they never have a smile on their face nor do they say have a good day or thank you for shopping here. There's never any excuse to be rude to anyone.The owner and manger need to retrain the employees on how to treat their customer, if it wasn't for customers the store wouldn't exist.

Pros: organic grass fed beef, great salads

Cons: rude employees, rude employees, rude employess

Expensive But Good - Edit

Kive is the go to health food store, location right next to the main bus station and the city library. It used to be dimly lit and the aisles were a bit narrow, but after the recent remodel it's well lit and more spacious. Product selection is decent, the prices are slightly higher than other health food stores in town.

Pros: Friendly Staff

Cons: High Prices

Flesh - Edit

The whole store smells like meat, dirty. The store just has an overall dirty feel as well and unfortunately, in case you didn't know, smells permeate everything even metal and especially plastic. I just won't buy anything from a store that smells like dead rotting flesh, I'm sorry.

Pros: Couldn't tell you

Cons: Meat, Meat Smell, Everywhere, Gross

Unless it's convenient, try another store... - Edit

I just don't understand this place. Of all of the natural food stores in town (and there are plenty, especially when Market of Choice is factored in), Kiva is on average, the most expensive. I understand that they are probably paying a premium in terms of rent for their location, but things are 20-30% more than places like Sundance or Red Barn, or even Capella. Also, I've had several unpleasant interactions with the staff, so friendliness in my experience may or may not be a part of the equation. Some of the folks that work there are nice, but a couple of bad apples have spoiled the basket as far as I'm concerned. Why would I want to come back and risk being treated poorly, especially when I have plenty of choices? The combination of expensive prices and sometimes unfriendly staff make this place wholly avoidable. Unless you are on foot or have some other reason why you can't get to another natural foods store, I'd steer clear of the Kiva.

Pros: Location

Cons: Prices, Staff (at times)

Good sandwiches - Edit

One of Eugene's good local grocery stores. Really good deli, small produce selection. great sandwiches.

Pros: excellent food, Friendly staff, local

Cons: small selection

not for me - Edit

I know many folks in Eugene swear by Kiva, in fact, when Whole Foods tried to move in town, many said oh no, poor Kiva and they never did. But the Kiva is an odd little place, imo. They have a ton of meat, the place smells like a meat market to me, and the produce seems off to the side. I don't get it, but I don't have to. I would only go there if I went downtown and needed a drink.

Pros: downtown

Cons: too much meat, odd place

Return to Eugene Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kiva closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1529 times since Aug 2007.