Viva! Vegetarian Grill - Food Cart

Contact 541-636-5826

1171 Willamette St, Eugene, Oregon, USA, 97401

Vegan fast food cart selling veggie dogs, soysages, cheesesteaks, tempeh reuben, tempeh satay, sweets, organic juice, tea, and coffee. Weekly specials. Mon-Sat 11:00am-5:00pm

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Take-out only

First Review by XoDamienne

One of the best sanwiches - Edit

Came here for the first time, most everything lolked good, but the SMOKED BBQ sandwich with cashew cheeze sauce is pure decadance. So savory and balanced, flavorful and I love love what the cashew sauce does for it. Love that they use mostly organic and local products. Some tasty condiments, I especially recommend the mango habenero! And cashew soft serve in a wamr day here is amazing. Its also a good peolple and downtown watching spot. Will be back!

Pros: Very flavorful food, Inexpensive, Mostly organic, local & from scratch

Wonderful! - Edit

Got off our plane in Eugene hungry and wanted to find a nice and quick place right away. This little food truck did not disappoint. Wonderful options. Reuben was just okay, but greatly improved by the mango habenera sauce available on the counter as well as fresh cut onions and relish. BBQ cheese steak was amazing! Also the cashew based soft serve was pleasant. We even got some items to go. Would definitely go again if we return to Eugene. Just beware, the address we found here on happy cow was wrong and we got lost at first.

Pros: Lots of veg options, Great atmosphere, nice outdoor seating area , Innovative flavors

Disappointed! - Edit

I ate at Viva Veg Grill during the Whiteaker Block Party in Eugene, 2013. I was very disappointed with the vegan tempeh reuben. It was tempeh on dry bread sprinkled with nutritional yeast. Wont go back.

Pros: fast

Cons: food prep and quality

dave wagenheim Hi AmyStein,
Thanks for your review. If you get the chance, please come by our cart at 12th & Willamette and I will gladly make you a Reuben on the house. If you still don't like it, I will accept defeat. WBP is one of the most hectic and busy single day events that we do. It is very possible you may have received a sub-par sandwich in the thick of the rush. I'd like to make it right with you, if you will allow it.
Thanks,
Dave Wagenheim (Owner)
ps. To all others, if you wanna be an Amy Stein impersonator and score some free food, I guess now is your chance! ;)

Perfect. - Edit

I love this food cart.
It is always tasty. Service is always friendly. It's not gourmet, but it is perfect food after riding a bike on a rainy day. Or sunny day. Nothing fancy. Not expensive. Always delicious and fun.
The vegan "cheese" steak is sublime. The other stuff is good too. Nothing is shabby. My kids love the simple hot dog and fries. I've tried everything on the menu. A few items are five stars. Nothing is less than four.

Pros: cheap, delicious , kid friendly

Cons: not open late, food cart subject to weather

save room for ice cream! - Edit

Separate vegan menu. Tempeh tacos are awesome- unsuspected spices that grow on you.

Super friendly servers, Oregon style. Speed depends on who you get. Charges for water (amount changes randomly).

All you need to know about this places: vegan pumpkin pie soft serve!!! Worth the trip, just for that

Pros: vegan menu, yummy, downtown

Cons: unhealthy (but you knew that!), sometimes slow service

Amazing!! - Edit

This place is so good!! I'm not full vegan and my best friend is still a meat-eater (for now!) but we eat here all the time! And she might even be getting a job here and going full veg soon, mostly because of how good the food is here. And the vegan ice cream is must have!!

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food!!! , cheap! (:

Cons: needs more seating!, needs bigger ice cream cones!

Over Hyped. - Edit

The first few times I ate ate Viva Vegetarian, I was impressed with their food and prices. While their prices are still somewhat reasonable, little effort goes into the meals. Most are made with tofurky products, which means you could make the same things at home, probably for a lot less.

The one thing that really bothers me about this place is the cheeze sauce. Yes, it's pretty good, but it's ALWAYS cold. Is it really so hard to head up your cheeze sauce? I personally think this place would be worthy of MAYBE 4 cows if it had warm cheeze, but even then, if I can make it better at home, it's not worth my money.

They've got some interesting options, but the only one that stands out is their signature cheezesteak. It's once again, overhyped.

There are plenty of better options in Eugene, and I personally will not be visiting Viva Vegetarian again.

Pros: Price, Location, Quick food

Cons: Cold Cheeze Sauce, Products not made "In House", Could be made better at home.

Wonderful lunch! - Edit

I am far from any vegan restaurant so I was very happy to try Viva! Vegetarian Grill. It was easy to find in Eugene which says a lot. The service was great, she was very helpful, friendly, and fun. I thought the food was great and we were given a free sample of cashew ice cream! I can't wait to go back to try more items off the menu.

Pros: Selection, Low Price, Quick

Success is going to their head. - Edit

The food is overall decent, there's no denying it. The cheesesteak is 5 cows for sure. Everything else is rather underwhelming and definitely overpriced. They put a Tofurkey sun dried tomato bratwurst on a bun and charge 5.50$ for it...I mean come on. That is maybe .90$ worth of food. The sides are decent but overpriced, especially the ice cream. The chili is tasteless but filling if you're in the mood. The vegan cheese sauce seems to not be as tasty as when the cart first opened either. It used to be the owner would serve you your food with a smile, and there was a discount for the rain, etc. Now that its popular all of the prices have gone up .50$ and the quality isn't what it used to be. Definitely worth checking out for the cheesesteak if you haven't tried it but I was disappointed with everything else, and I have tried everything on the menu.

Pros: Cheesesteak

Cons: Price, Decrease in quality

3 Responses

Some of the best vegan/vegetarian food in Eugene! - Edit

My fiance and I just moved to Eugene about 4 months ago. I found out about Viva! on HappyCow a few weeks into living here. I looked at the menu online and i was sold. We took a walk downtown, found the cart, and man-o-man you should have seen the smile on my face!!!!
We have been there close to 20 times now, and every time it gets better and better! They make their own vegan cheese & BBQ sauce. And use mostly Tofurky brand products.

Dave, your the man! Keep up the good work!

p.s. EVERYTHING ON THE MENU IS VEGAN.

Pros: Delicious!, Friendly staff!, Cheap!

One of the BEST! - Edit

I love this place, the philly cheesesteak is amazing! I never liked cheesesteaks when I ate meat but Viva's are delicious, the cashew cheese is great and the sauce they cook the slices and veggies in really sets it off. Also the tempeh reuben had never been a fave of mine but Viva's! Wow! The vegan thousand island is way better than the original, and the dave's killer bread perfectly toasted, heaven. 5 stars! vegan, affordable, large portions, friendly/quick staff, cool discounts, great menu! Viva La Vegetarian!

Pros: affordable, Super Yummy, large portions

Cons: closes early, no tables, tough to eat on the move

Savory Vegan Vittles on-the-go - Edit

There used to be a vegan shop in Eugene called Herbies that had amazing Philly Cheeze Steaks. I missed it so much when they disappeared. This cart is even better. Using local Oregon products, Dave's made a Philly Cheeze Steak of thin Tofurky deli slices in delectible spices with cheeze sauce and grilled onions. He also has brats, foot-long hotdogs, an amazing BBQ sandwich and more. Really great prices too. It's a destination whenever I'm in Eugene. He also supports other local businesses, stocking Divine Cupcakes (vegan) and recommending the nearby Cornbread Cafe cart to people too. Discounts are offered for bikers and people venturing out when it's raining, and they have a "frequent buyers" punch card.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Great value

pretty good - Edit

We liked what we got. We got a Philly cheezsteak and tempeh satay. The satay was very moist and tender served w a nice peanut ginger sauce ($4.50). The cashew cheez on the samich was really nice. It is tofurkey Philly served w another sauce and onions. It was $5.50.

I would go here again. Its nice to have fast food options when out and about.

Pros: fast , nicely done

Hot off the grill good - Edit

As w/ the Cornbread Cafe, there's a lot of soy here. But it's locally purchased soy, and there's a lot of tempeh available (which some people find healthier/tastier/easier to digest). I had the tempeh reuben - it was fast, hot, tasty and $5.50. Plus, if you get so many sandwiches (12 i believe) you get one free. Oh, and uses Dave's Killer Breads - yum!

Pros: Good value

Return to Eugene Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Viva! Vegetarian Grill - Food Cart closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4253 times since Jan 2010.