Ken's Diner

• ( 10 reviews )

3353 Dempster St, Skokie, Illinois, USA, 60076

Serves meat, vegan options available. Kosher American food restaurant offering a separate vegan menu. Includes the Impossible burger, a mushroom avocado burger, chili, soups, veggie burger, vegan sausage, vegan hot dogs, shakes, fries, chilli, quesadilla and baked goods. The diner has an independent kitchen dedicated to vegan only. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-8:30pm, Sun 11:00am-8:30pm. Closed Fri and Sat.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by APVrresto

jennykhair

Points +58

21 Jun 2021

Absolutely fantastic!

I had such a lovely dinner at Ken’s Diner. I really appreciate their separate vegan kitchen! The food was outstanding & the customer service is probably the best I’ve experienced in the Chicago metro area. I look forward to going again!

SamKiluk

Points +139

25 Jan 2021

Lovely people, fantastic food

The Chicago Vegans Facebook group said Ken's had one of the best burgers so we had to stop by!

We ordered the vegan veggie burger with fries, vegan hot dog (Chicago style) and vegan chocolate shake. Upon ordering the staff was very nice and asked if we'd been there before. We said no and that we drove quite a while. As we waited for our food, they gave us a taste of their impossible chili (sooo good) and talked to us about being vegan. They brought out our food items as they got done which I appreciated as everyone wants hot food. The burger and milkshake were outstanding! The hot dog I think just had too many toppings for my taste and wasn't exactly "Chicago style".

Before we left they gave us two of their vegan soups to-go FOR FREE. They said it was because we were new vegan customers but it may have been a little bit because they were closing too.

Overall I recommend Ken's as its a down to earth place with great food and great people. They really care about vegans as they turned their once only vegetarian burger into a vegan burger and have a separate kitchen for vegan guests. Definitely a gem of a place and will be going back in the future!

Pros: Lots of vegan options, vegan kitchen, great service

CrissySunderlandClar

Points +18

11 Sep 2020

Worth the drive!!!

We drove about 45 minutes just to try their food. It was so worth it!!!! We got the impossible burger, curly and regular fries, a taco, hot dog, and a shake. The owners brought out soup for us to try, for free. The food was outstanding! The owners were incredibly nice, they kept coming over to talk to us and make sure we were happy. I’m already craving their hot dog again

Pros: Amazing food and friendly service

Cons: Too far from me, seriously the only con

rikkio16

Points +108

02 Jul 2020

My soy milk frees all the cows from the yard

Stopped by for a quick snack. Had some curly fries and a strawberry shake. Mmmm, it sure hit the spot.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Offered to cook fries in separate vegan fryer, Friendly

AddieAnneSmith

Points +34

19 Jun 2019

Amazing Greasy Spoon

My 11 year old son and I lived this place. He got a burger with fries and I got the first chili cheese dog I have had in years. We also shared the curly fries and vanilla milkshake. Everything was so satisfying and did not taste vegan.

Vegan Rock Star

Points +56

07 Jan 2019

Best vegan gem of a Classic Diner around

What a great surprise to find Ken's Diner. With an entire vegan menu, and a separate vegan kitchen, this is a wonderful place for a hungry vegan to go for a quite bite of comfort food. I am so glad to have found this on Happy Cow, because I would have never thought of going here off the street, or driving by, it really looks like an authentic diner!
We've tried just about everything here, vegan shakes with whipped cream topping, many flavors of vegan soups, vegan chili dogs, vegan tacos and burritos, vegan cookies, all the styles of fries, etc. This place is great. Thanks Ken's! 5 Stars from me

Pros: Full Vegan Menu with Separate Vegan Kitchen, Friendly Knowledgeable Staff, Tasty Vegan Food in a Classic Diner Setting

Cons: Ventilation can get a bit smoky

BanjoGirl

Points +219

08 Oct 2018

Vegan menu!

This was a fun outing. Crowded, busy diner, but really
friendly service and still relaxing (especially with kids). We had the impossible burger, chili/cheez dog, and grilled cheez (everything vegan). We were planning on sharing a vegan milk shake, but they were sadly out of vegan ice cream, so we got a sugar cookie (which was also good).
We will definitely be back when we want a fast, casual outing with the kids.

Pros: Separate vegan menu , Fast, friendly service , Family friendly

mishmosh

Points +36

Mostly Veg
Owner
10 Sep 2018

Great place, great menu, great 1950’s feel and amazing food.

The people are some of the friendliest I’ve ever been in contact with.

Pros: Great menu, Separate vegan food prep area, Great customer service

Cons: Not open Friday’s and Saturday’s because of koshe, Cookies and shakes are too good, Only open till 8:30

AlexBricker

Points +42

01 Aug 2018

Great Food

This is one of the best vegan restaurants I’ve been to. There’s a separate cooking area for vegan food and the staff are very friendly and are knowledgeable on veganism. His kids are vegan and he understands the importance of the separate kitchen.

Pros: Many Many Options, Desserts (Cookies), Vegan-familiar Owner

Cons: Not fully vegan

APVrresto

Points +27

18 Apr 2018

Excellent vegan options

The vegan menu items are prepared in a separate, dedicated-vegan area of the kitchen. I have tried the cheeseburger and fries, and it was really great.

Pros: Great menu - burgers, dogs, tacos, soups

Return to Skokie Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ken's Diner closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.