Karoo Restaurant

Contact 508-255-8288

3 Main St Unit 32B, Eastham, Massachusetts, USA, 02642

Serves meat, vegan options available. South African food restaurant moved here from Provincetown. Meat-based menu but has a few veggie choices. Confirmed open by owners, Aug 2016. Mon 4:30pm-9:00pm, Wed-Sun 4:30pm-9:00pm

Category: Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, African, Non-veg

First Review by passedout

unique and delicious - Edit

Food is outstanding with many different option. Although not a vegan restaurant they have many vegan choices and are very accommodating.
Beautiful setting, we go here whenever we are in town.

Pros: variety of options many dishes considered vegan, pretty atmosphere, something different

Cons: you still need to read through the menu to confirm

not cape good, ACTUALLY good! - Edit

So far the only food on the cape I would eat at home. Super busy on Saturday night but we got quick service at the bar and the peanut soup did not disappoint. The vegan pakoras were excellent and the vegan bunny chow was pretty good. There's even other vegan dishes to try!

great vegan choices - Edit

There aren't a ton of vegan choices on cape cod, so this place was a real oasis. my omnivore parents also loved it. They even bought a tee shirt. Highly recommend.

Pros: at least six vegan options, vegan options are clearly labeled (colored green o, very tasty

Cons: not an all vegan venue; lots of meat in other item, a little pricey (but not unusual for cape cod)

wonderful surprise - Edit

Beautiful interior and a lovely patio as well. There are a great variety of vegan foods on this large menu, I had some of the best falafel ever, my husband enjoyed pap and spicy veg stew We ordered hummus and also split a power salad as an appetizer. We had a wonderful server who was really helpful and attentive. Go there you will not be sorry !!

Karoo Restaurant is Fabulous! - Edit

Karoo has many vegan options on their menu. We had vegan pakoras and vegan samosas as starters. Very good. We shared Vegan Bunny and Pap & Chakalaka for entrees. Our teenagers loved the Vegan Bunny--a stew served on top of South African french fries and in between two halves of a roll that was kind of like an English muffin but different. Really wonderful dish. The Pap and Chakalaka is a garbanzo bean stew served over South African polenta. It was very good (we added a little salt, but there's no shame in that). And they had vegan lemon sorbet for dessert. Our son is peanut allergic, so we could not try the West African Peanut Soup or the Cape Malay Stew, but they look good on the menu. There were also Mediterranean dishes with hummus, grape leaves and falafel, but we skipped those so we could try South African dishes we never sampled before. There is also a Power Salad with garbanzo beans, lentils, quinoa and couscous which we did not try.

We've been coming to the Cape for years and find it so frustrating to find vegan food. Karoo actually thought about and prepared for vegans in advance. They are now on our annual list of place to go. There is only 1 other restaurant on this list. I can't tell you how thrilled I am. And the ambience is lovely, very African decor. Even the sounds of the customers seemed so much more excited instead of usual same-old-Cape type sleeping-while-awake sounds you might find at other restaurants. Do not miss this one.

Karoo used to be called "Karoo Kafe" when it was located in Provincetown. But it changed its name to "Karoo Restaurant" when it moved to Eastham. Also note the hours are different than the ones embedded in the first photo. They are now open 4:30-9:00 pm every day Except for Tuesday, when they are closed.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 16, 2015

Pros: Delicious, Exotic

Going Coo-Coo for Karoo - Edit

I just LOVED my meal at Karoo Kafe! They have a lot of vegan options (anything on their menu marked green is vegan) and they have a great little corner with sauces and incidentals that you can buy. My only gripe is that I seldom visit Cape Cod so I don't see returning in the near future. Great eats, I highly recommend it!

Food was ok but overpriced - Edit

It seems like all the other reviewers here managed to pick out the "reasonably priced" items, but unfortunately I did not. A veggie-tofu curry with rice served with plastic utensils on a paper plate at a generic cafe for $16 was laughable. To be fair, it was a decent dish - the sauce was flavorful, pleasantly spicy, nice and thick with plenty of veggies and tofu, but the whole experience felt too casual, if not sloppy, for that price point. Besides, the tofu wasn't even prepared or seasoned. It was nothing more than plain soft tofu chopped up and thrown into the stew. Knocking a few dollars off would have been more reasonable... or at least make an effort and use a better type of tofu. A firmer variety would be more desirable.

Another thing I didn't quite get was their environmental attitude. On the one hand, they seemed pretty green - separating trash and posting a note reminding people to only get one water cup per person to reduce waste, but on the other hand, those cups were plastic and food was served with plastic utensils, which were anything but eco-friendly. So what exactly they were trying to do, I don't know.

I was checking out the desserts on my way out and was directed by the staff to the health food market right behind them for vegan options. I should've just eaten there instead because for the same price I could've gotten a nice wrap/salad and a drink plus dessert... Well, too late.

Cons: overpriced, cheap utensils & plates

Delicious Vegan Options! - Edit

There are a few vegan entrees, most of the salads are vegan, and there are some vegan appetizers too. The food was exceptionally good - we actually ate at the Karoo Restaurant in nearby Eastham (same ownership). The chef came over and thanked us for eating there and told us she is working on vegan desserts. Really a delightful experience.

Pros: Delicious, Reasonably Priced, Fast Service

Cons: Non-vegan food dominates the menu

Nice staff and great food - Edit

We stopped into Karoo Kafe for an early dinner. I found the variety of food very interesting. It seemed to be a blend of Middle Eastern and Indian dishes all working together to form some nice plates. We snacked on the pakoras and then moved onto to a couple sandwiches (tofu pita and falafel) both of which were excellent. Their soup of the day was African Peanut which had a creamy pumpkin base. Excellent meal all around.

Pros: Friendly staff, Great food

Return to Eastham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Karoo Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1746 times since May 2010.