Karnataka

Contact 090-18631135

1809 Yutakagaoka, Meito-ku, Nagoya, Japan, 465-0035

South Indian food menu that's vegan-friendly. Relaxed atmosphere with communal counter seating on the first floor and tables on the second. Offer dosas, rasam, uttapam, and has a vegetarian lunch with unlimited refills of rice, sambar, and chai. Open Tue-Sun 11:00am-2:00pm, Tue-Sun 5:30pm-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Indian, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by FruitMonstar

Authentic vegan South Indian food - Edit

Huge fan of this plan. It's easy to make anything vegan and the standard lunch plate is usually entirely vegan except for chai but even if it's not the staff understands what you mean by vegan and is happy to accommodate.

The food is very different than your standard Japanese Indian restaurant. It's very similar to the South Indian food I'm used to from living in NYC. The lunch plate is delicious and affordable with a wide variety of different foods. They always give you gigantic free seconds too which I've actually had to start declining because it's just too much for me!

This restaurant is also very kid friendly as they have a communal room upstairs that's more zashiki (i.e. sitting on ground) style where they tend to put families with kids while downstairs it's table/counter style. I don't feel uncomfortable with my kids being a little rambunctious upstairs because the other customers usually have wild little kids of their own.

Also if you don't speak Japanese I'm pretty sure the owner can speak English and oftentimes there is a young (college student?) Indian waiter who definitely speaks English.

Pros: Vegan, Delicious, Price

Cons: Parking

Authentic and delicious S. Indian Restaurant - Edit

I have been here twice. The first visit was disappointing, as the owner/chef had a bad attitude, but seems like it was just a bad day for him.

I tried again today for lunch, and I was impressed with their service (two new lovely waitresses). Food was also better and quite happy with their overall performance.

The owner/chef understands what vegan means and easy to order vegan meal.
Spiciness has been adjusted for Japanese (which is nice for me) so ask for extra spicy if you like it spicy.

I look forward to going there again.

Pros: delicious food, authentic Indian food, vegan dishes without MSG

Cons: Away from subway

Return to Nagoya Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Karnataka closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1492 times since Oct 2013.