Kangaroo Cafe

• Veg-friendly
Contact 844-38289931

22 Bao Khanh Street, Hanoi, Vietnam, Old Quarter

Serves meat, vegan options available. This place was set up by an Australian but is staffed and run by local people. It's clean with A/C. The menu and specials board include vegetarian sections. Spicy lo mien noodle soup, fried rice, veggie burgers and chips. Uses organic and locally sourced as much as possible. Operates reliable tours to Ha Long and Sa Pa amongst others. Moved from 18 Bao Khanh Street.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by VeganChu

Okay food, expensive. - Edit

We had the veggie burger. It was a bit tasteless but the chips in sesame were very nice and salad tasty that it came with. It's very big and will definitely fill you up. Just think it was a bit too expensive for what it was. cost 120k.

Pros: filling

Cons: expensive, okay food

cold beer - Edit

The veggie burger was finished, so I had a veggie baguette with chips. Was good, not spectacular, but the first pickles in months. The beer was definately cold and the staff nice.

Location on the map is wrong, but the address is right.

Small but decent Menu - Edit

This place is ok with a few decent veg options. The burger was decent and the chips amazing and it comes with a side salad. It is a little expensive but the portion sizes are big. A great place if you need a western fix on your travels!

Pros: western food, big portions

Cons: few options

Great Food, Great Service, Great Staff - Edit

I usually only eat at vegetarian places, but with not much choice in our area of Hanoi, I decided to give Kangaroo Cafe a go, despite the not so good reviews on here. And I was pleasantly surprised. I have a stir-fry with cashews, and it was really good and really big. Lots of different veggies, and cooked perfectly. I will go back again, as they have a few other things on the menu that I want to try. Not sure why this gets such bad reviews. Staff are very friendly and very helpful, And restaurant is very clean. It's a good place to hang out.

I would give this 5 stars, but 4 is the maximum for non-veg places.

I don't agree with the happycow rating system that allows minimum of 2 for veg places and maximum of 4 for non-veg. I can see some kind of logic there, but some veggie places I've been to don't even deserve a 1, while some non-veg really do deserve a 5.

Pros: Great food, Big portions, Friendly and Helpful Staff

Cons: Serves meat

Good Veggie Burger and Chips! - Edit

As far as normal restaurants go, has a reasonable selection of veggie food. Try the veggie burger here- but ask for it in a baguette if you do not eat egg- the burger bun has egg in. The chips are amazing! Covered in sesame seeds, a nice change! The vegetables and tofu are also really good...a nice eat if you're nearby and want something quick and easy :)

Pros: English speaking staff, Willing to alter menu items

not too much to say - Edit

I might not have given this restaurant enough of a chance, but after viewing the menu outside, it appeared to have hardly any vegan/ veggie options.... The menu seemed primarily focused on meat than anything else!
There are a number of other eating establishments nearby to warrant giving them a try first.

Cons: not enough vegan/ veggie options

NOT A GOOD VEG EXPERIENCE - Edit

Visited this restaurant twice in the hope it would improve but I was even more dissapointed the second time. The first visit I ordered a veg burger which was completely tasteless and difficult to eat accompanied by chunky, dry chips and no imagination in the salad. The second visit I ordered the soy meatball, fettucine with arabiata sauce - it was so spicy and heavily laden with chilli that I couldn't finish it. I then ordered another dish of vegies that were completely tasteless - veg food it usually tasty. Maybe only visit if you like spice and are a meat eater.

Pros: A/C, Cold drinks, Clean

Cons: Poor and limited seating, Pedantic owner, Clueless on Vegetarian cuisine

Stay away - Edit

Personally, I thought this place was nothing special, and bordered on disgusting. Can't say much about the non-veggie food, but the veggie burger was a sodden mass of potato, with no flavour. The spinach with mushrooms were bathing in oil. The juice was full of ice (more than the usual standard) and tasteless. Overall, our worst veggie experience in Hanoi.

Pros: Nice place

Cons: Everything else

Helpful and Delicious - Edit

We went to Kangaroo Cafe quite a few times. It's a laid back place with a good selection of veg*n food. I loved the noodle soup. Sometimes I find veggie food can be made overly complicated but here I thought it was simple and filling and just what I wanted! They do western and Asia dishes.

Also, if you are looking to do tours around Hanoi, I recommend going with these guys. They are honest and straightforward. We did an overnight boat trip to Ha Long Bay and the veggie food was amazing - far more than I could eat!!

Beware of copies of Kangaroo Cafe - make sure you get the real deal and go to the address above. It's quite near the lake.

Check it out - I loved it.

Pros: Simple delicious food, Helpful staff, Tours accomodating Veg*ns very well

Cons: Not fully veggie! ;o)

Return to Hanoi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kangaroo Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2174 times since Jul 2010.