Kafe Botanika

943-443475

Paseo Arbol de Gernika 8, San Sebastian, Spain, 20006

Serves meat, vegan options available. Located along the Urumea River in the center of Donostia is an eclectic and international cafe. Offers mostly vegetarian dishes and many vegan choices. Open Mon-Thu 9:00am-11:00pm, Fri 9:00am-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Sat 10:00am-12:00am, Sun 10:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by BodieC

Not vegan-friendly anymore - Edit

I don't consider this place a vegan-friendly place. Moreover its damn expensive, silly-tourist-oriented.

Pros: Dunno

Cons: Not vegan friendly

Beautiful atmosphere and food, taste average - Edit

The location and the atmosphere of the Kafe Botanika are wonderful. I ordered the vegan "Asian Salad" and my boyfriend ordered Falafel which came with sauces that were non-vegan. My salad (with sweet potato noodels) did not taste good, but his falafel (I tried them without sauce) was aaaamazing! And the housemade juice was delicious as well, worth a try. The waiters weren´t too friendly.

Pros: Atmosphere, Local

Cons: Friendliness of staff, Average taste

pretty location but not a great experience - Edit

The first day i found this place i thought i would make it my home base for the week. They have wifi, veg option food, so a perfect place to do hang out for a while. It did not turn put that way, unfortunately. The staff does speak english but is not very welcoming, and not really an example of friendliness. Food is not bad, but not amazing. The cake looks nice but was dry - but then again, maybe that is the style there.
All in all worth trying, but without too many expectations.

Veg friendly, English Management - Edit

The owners are American and Canadian and were very willing to adjust some dishes slightly for a great vegan meal! Great, diverse bar with lots of basque local fare! Their salad is nicely balanced and the atmoshere is really hip and relaxed! The owners have a great story and are very open and willing to help with anything :)

Small veg offer but very yummy - Edit

When I've been there (02.16) they offered only 2 vegetarian dishes, wich both were vegan as well (hummus with pita 8,50€ and potato wedges 7€). It was very yummy but expensive. I'd eat there again :)
Updated from previous review on Tuesday March 01, 2016

edit: I'm not sure if the mayo-dip is vegan.

Pros: yummy, central, nice athmosphere

Cons: expensive, small veg offer

a little confusing but okay - Edit

Definitely vege options, but limited for breakfast for us vegans.

Not table service, which I didn't realise for a while. More cafeteria than cafe in that respect.

Order inside, and stand there until you get everything. They were a little bit flustered when I came, I think, As I had to keep asking about my tomato on toast... Which took three attempts.

Had tea, tomato on toast and small bowl of fruit muesli without the yoghurt. About 10 Euro... So not overly cheap.

Will probably just try somewhere simpler next time. Seemed a bit to hard for a breaky that can get from a carneceria if I felt inclined.

The tortilla looked good for those who eat eggs.

Worth trying for yourself, with this in mind.

Return to San Sebastian Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kafe Botanika closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.