Caravanserai

Contact 943459421

San Bartolome 1, Plaza del Buen Pastor (at San Martin Kalea), San Sebastian, Spain, 1

Serves meat, vegan options available. Spanish tapas and western cuisine. Has a vegan pizza. Ambience is lively, dogs and children are welcome, and even though it's not the most Spanish of Spanish restaurants, you definitely feel you're in Spain and not a burger joint in the US. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Mon-Sun 8:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Beer/Wine, Spanish, Non-veg

First Review by Aurelia

great vegan food - Edit

I just to go to this restaurant since I was a child.
Now when I discovered that the had a vegan menu I been there few times. The pizza is very yummy with the vegan chorizo and the other vegan options are great as well.
The staff is very helpful and the location of the restaurant is great, quiet and into the city centre.
If you want to visit San Sebastian I recommend you the restaurant!

Pros: great food, location, friendly staff

Cons: more vegan options

Frozen, canned and tastless food - Edit

My husband and I went there for lunch. He ordered a sandwich (non-veg) and I had what was supposed to be a vegan plate based on the description but I am pretty sure some of the veggie balls contained cheese.

So first of all, you need to make sure you ask the waiters to give you the full list of ingredients before ordering anything. But actually, I would recommend not going there unless you don't mind eating food that's come out of a can or that's come out of a package and been defrosted... everything tasted so bad that I could not eat more than a couple of spoonfull of it and I left my plate pretty much untouched.

The bread of the sandwich that my husband had was not nice either.

AVOID THIS PLACE !

Pros: Nice atmosphere

Cons: Horrible food, Expensive for what it is, Inaccurate descriptions

Flavor wanted!! - Edit

The service is good and the decoration of the place is really nice! Unfortunately, the food lacks flavor. There are several options for vegans and the portions are quite big. It's a pity the food is quite insipid...

Pros: Several vegan options, Interesting decoration

Cons: Food lacks flavour, Kitchen service is not very fast

Vegan-friendly in a very ham-oriented city! - Edit

We had our hearts set on tapas, but finding vegan tapas was, sadly, no easy feat. In fact, we never did find anything that was entirely animal-product free in that category (and even for vegetarians, the spanish tortilla--made with eggs--is the primary option). But thankfully, we stumbled upon Caravanserai. Located between the train station and the old town on a pedestrian walkway, this lively cafe offers vegans a few options that, while not uniquely Spanish, will fuel you for a day of sightseeing. We were intrigued by their vegan burger offerings, and ordered the seitan-tofu burgers with fries. They were good, but nothing special. There are salads on the menu, plus vegan pate and crackers. Some dishes can be veganized by asking to be made without the addition of eggs or cheese.

Pros: Welcoming, Dog-friendly, several vegan options

Cons: Not exclusively veg, Can get noisy, Vegan options aren't Spanish!

Return to San Sebastian Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Caravanserai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2016 times since Jan 2012.