India House

413-586-6344

45 State St, Northampton, Massachusetts, USA, 01060

Serves meat, vegan options available. Indian food menu. Has a vegetarian section, and some of these dishes can be made vegan upon request. Other items that are vegan are marked (V). Gluten-free options (GF). Open Mon-Thu 5:00pm-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Sarah P

amazing - Edit

Food seemed perfect. Ambience is great.

They have clearly marked what can be made vegan. My girlfriend thought maybe something had butter in it and someone came over and said they double checked and it was coconut milk. He assured us they take veganism very seriously and it definitely was vegan. Everyone was so nice and it was an awesome experience. Definitely vegan-friendly and extremely delicious !!

Questionably Vegan Friendly - Edit

I've had mixed experiences here. Over a year ago, I asked about a "vegan" menu item containing, apparently, mock meat. I asked about it and was told the meat was real. Incredulous, I asked why it was identified as vegan on the menu and they responded that "vegan" meant only no dairy. I think that's corrected now. But on a subsequent visit, I asked if a particular item was vegan. The waiter asked the apparent owner, who was nearly right in front of me, and answered very angrily "NO ITS NOT VEGAN." A colleague recently reported to me he asked if their food was organic and was told no, because their customers aren't interested in that. ???

All of which is highly disappointing because the cooking is in fact very well done, the spices great, the menu diverse and the ambiance excellent. But on balance, as a vegan, the drawbacks outweigh the benefits. They're good cooks but it still just doesn't feel vegan friendly. For those of us for whom eating is a politically and socially conscious experience as well as a culinary one, India House falls short.

Pros: tasty food, nice ambiance

Cons: could be much more vegan friendly, could be more environmentally conscious

Delicious food! - Edit

I have eaten at India House for the better part of a decade. India House offers a vegetarian menu, and the owners/ operators are almost always fluent in vegan options. Unless dairy is essential to an item, the owners can usually accommodate vegans. Cashews or coconut milk have been tasty substitutions to menu items. The menu changes frequently, though popular standbys have been the chhana masala, the open-faced samosas, and the saag with coconut milk rather than dairy cream. I believe that there are no choices for dessert that are vegan. There are bread options that can be vegan, but do ask. The popular bread basket appetizer can be accommodated to vegans. The green chutney is not vegan that comes with the bread basket. The chapati that is brought to the table is vegan. Make sure to be specific, and if the person who takes your order seems confused, be sure to clarify or ask for one of the other owners or the owner's daughter.

I will choose India House for an occasional treat, as a meal there, or even takeout, is pricey.

Pros: Delicious food!, Vegetarian menu, Many items can be veganized

Cons: Can be pricey, Customers must be specific, persistent

Return to Northampton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has India House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.