Home Grown Cafe

Contact 302-266-6993

126 E Main St, Newark, Delaware, USA, 19711

Serves meat, vegan options available. Local restaurant with bar. Has items like faux chicken, tempeh bacon, vegan cheese, tofu. Can accommodate veg substitutions - ask. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-12:00am, Tue-Sun 12:00am-1:00am, Sat-Sun 10:00am-12:00am.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Co1een19

Meal, Atmosphere, Service and Cleanliness were dissapointing each time - Edit

My husband and I used to go here frequently over the years until we started to notice the service, food and atmosphere declining. We started to notice the servers forgetting something and taking forever to get our check. We can't stand when servers make errors then tell us "no worries". Maybe that should be expected since it looks like they hire college students. This restaurant needs to be disinfected everywhere and remodeled. The bathrooms were dirty each time we went. Filth was around the toilets. Tables were greasy on many occasions. We would sometimes sit at the bar and that area smelled funky like when you forget wet wash in the washer.
Each time we went, the food got worse. It also takes a long time to get your meal. Homegrown Cafe makes an attempt to serve vegan food to probably make their menu diverse. However, we do not care for the off flavors they attempt to cook. One time we ordered a vegan entree that ended up having dairy cheese in it! That's pretty bad if they can't get that right. My husband and I no longer patronize this restaurant. There are plenty more restaurants on Main Street, Newark, that have tastier food.

Pros: Has outdoor/enclosed seating , On Main Street , In a college town

Cons: Food is bland, very oily,can't make vegan food, Restaurant & bathrooms are dirty and unkept , Bad and late service, late food delivery and check

not impressed - Edit

I'm not impressed but I would consider giving it another shot. My main complaint is the lack of knowledge the server had regarding the vegan options. He couldn't answer the two questions we had and had to check with the chef after our food arrived. The mexibowl was so overwhelmingly spicy that I couldn't eat it. I waited to ask for vegan ranch to cool it down, but by the time I received it, my family was finished eating.

Would give 5 stars if I could - Edit

I love this place, it is my go to, please-all restaurant. I've been here many times because it is my closest, local vegan-friendly restaurant and I never feel tired of their menu. It's so flexible, many dishes can be made vegan or vegetarian and they've even switched up their menu recently so there's even more variety. You need to specify if you want it vegan while ordering, because you may not always know- some staff members are more sensitive to letting you know than others so always specify to be sure. It's a great place with a great atmosphere and all of my non-vegan and non-vegetarian friends will come here with me too because their food is all around good, apparently even the meat. They also have a bar area inside if all you're looking for is a drink or just a light meal!

Pros: Flexible menu, Great atmosphere , Delicious food

Longtime go to vegan spot on Main St - Edit

I agree with the other reviews that it is important to confirm that everything you order is vegan.

The great news, at least in my experience, is not only will they do this, the food is exceptional. I'll eat a powerhouse salad (kale, brussel sprouts, and pumpkin seeds etc) with a delicious beet burger on top and vegan fig balsamic dressing on the side. It is a lunch I never tire from because it is NOT a lifeless, mushy, barely flavorful salad.

Flavor and texture is something the chef takes seriously, including for vegans, and has done it for 20 some odd years on a major college main street where restaurant turnover is very high.

The seitan, wonderful homemade veggie beet burger, falafel, and tofu options are wonderfully done by the chef - all made in house and always nicely seasoned.

The flexibility in the menu is KEY to this place. If you make it clear to your sever nearly any salad (and many sandwiches and entrees) can be veganized by substituting meats for any of the above options. Unfortunately, the terrific polenta fries are no longer on the menu.

And if your in the mood for a craft beer - they always have a great selection.

Some Good Vegan Options - Edit

Took a girlfriend here, we drove from Maryland to Newark and specifically took extra time to go downtown because of the vegan options on the menu of Home Grown Café. I ordered the Beer Buffalo Cauliflower Wings which came with celery and carrot sticks and a vegan ranch dressing, which, as we know is a huge bonus. The "wings" were killer good. The menu options have tiny double flower symbols to indicate that it is vegan or can be made vegan. The cauliflower wings on the menu said blue cheese dressing, but when I asked if they had a vegan dressing, I was given the vegan ranch, which made all the difference to me. I also ordered the bahn mi, with seitan which was pretty good, but not stellar like the cauliflower. Wish there was a Home Grown Café near me. Their facebook page has the usual disturbing "happy meat" bs, but at least you can find something special to eat when you go there!

Love it! - Edit

I lived in the US for 5 years. I ate at a lot of different places, but as a vegan, this was my favorite.There's plenty of vegan options, all delicious, and a nice atmosphere, although it's definitely not a vegan place, a lot of people go there to get meat. It's a bit pricey, but I find it worth it, as some of the best vegan food I've ever had was there.

I was pretty angry at them when they made a mistake and gave me a real omelette instead of the vegan one I had ordered, and then another time there were eggs in my vegan burritos, so they need to watch out for that kind of stuff. Even though they are vegetarian-friendly and have great food on the menu, I didn't find them particularly sensitive to the topic.

If you find them on a good day, it's definitely worth a try. The vegan omelette is to die for.

Pros: best vegan omelette in the known univers, lots of delicious vegan options

Cons: made order mistakes a couple times, not always the friendliest personnel

Promising--I'll be back - Edit

This is a friendly restaurant with a great beer list/full bar. We had the weekend brunch menu which seems like it might be different from their dinner menu. I was impressed that fully 3/4 of the menu can be made vegan and their signature omlets, salads, and sandwiches could be made with any of 10 different protein choices, 5 of which were vegan. We tried the southwestern sandwich with falafel which was good, the mixed greens with vinaigrette were fabulous, the vegan nachos were passable mostly because I'm not a fan of the faux cheese. Overall it was good and definitely a place I'll go back to. Haven't found a favorite must-have on the menu though.

poor quality - Edit

Mostly non vegetarian, very few vegan choices. One of the few vegan choices was a burger which tasted just awful, by far the worst I have ever tasted. Did I catch them on a bad night? Perhaps, but he upshot is a bad Happy Cow review .

Cons: Poor tasting food, not particularly healthy, very few vegan items

Great Place for Vegans, Vegetarians, & Carnivores - Edit

My husband and I went here to celebrate my birthday. Loved the food! There were so many options for vegans! I think this has become my new favorite restaurant. Will definitely be back!

Pros: Vegan Desserts, Vegan Appetizers, Vegan Entrees

Cons: Not a good selection of vegan soup

Return to Newark Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Home Grown Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.