Hitchcock's Vegetarian Restaurant

Contact 01482-320233

1 Bishops Lane, High St, Kingston-Upon-Hull, Hull, England,

All-you-can-eat buffet style restaurant, and the first person to book for a particular night gets to choose the food theme. Daily changing menu. Main courses are served from 20:00, and you queue for the buffet. Desserts are then brought out and again you queue. Open Tue-Sat from 8pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Asian, European

First Review by Stevie

wonderful - Edit

I have been to Hitchcock's numerous times over the last 4 years, each occasion happened to be a different cuisine. It is quite exciting trying the flavours of different countries and clearly lots of research goes into creating a varied menu.
The first person to book for that night gets to choose the cuisine which is a fun idea even though we have never been first.
By far our favourite has been Indian, I have never tasted such amazing bhajis and curries to die for. Also the Plantain curry on Caribbean night was wonderful. Or most recent visit was south african and my least favourite, my only really criticism was quorn being used in too many dishes making it unsuitable for vegans and not really adding anything to the dish. The salsa and guacamole starters were by far the tastiest salsa and guacamole I have ever tasted though! The deserts.... well they are wonderful... The homemade vegan carrot cake was spectacular.
The decor, which could do with a bit of updating but I wouldn't call the place dirty. There is a great atmosphere here, the staff and welcoming and attentive, I would definitely recommend it.

Pros: variety and flavours, service, deserts

Cons: decor, toilets

Dreadful - Edit

Very poor. The food on the 2 occasions I have been unlucky enough to eat there is always cold, and completely tasteless. The place is filthy and so is the cutlery and crockery.

Pros: No pros, No pros, No pros

Cons: Place is filthy, Food is cold, Food tastes awful.

Nice food in laid back atmosphere - Edit

I have been many times and love the choice and different menus. However, the last time I went (Indian night) the potatoes in everything were far too hard and inedible. This spoilt the currys, bombay aloo etc. It would be nice if a few of their desserts were home made. I would give it another go though.

Pros: variety, all you can eat

Cons: under cooked food, needs a refurb

Delicious - Edit

The first time I visited the theme was Irish and American so didn't enjoy greatly. The second time was Mexican and Brazilian and the food was fantastic - agreed by my non-veggie companions. Plenty of choice and can go back for seconds. Definitely worth a visit when in the area.

Pros: tasty food, lots of choice, friendly staff

Cons: could only see 1 entrance - is upstair, could be firetrap?

A night out - Edit

We hadn't been to Hitchcock's for about six years and loved it then(we live in Gloucestershire and visit Hull several times a year). Well this March we weren't disappointed. The theme was Mediterranian and delicious. The cheesey aubergine thing was very more-ish and everything else was very good and hot too. We like everying about the place, the atmosphere, the quirkiness and particularly the food. It's just a shame there isn't a Hitchcock's nearer home. My husband is a very fussy eater and even he has no complaints! Very good value at £15 too.

Pros: food excellent, good value, pleasant staff

Vegetastic! :D :D :D - Edit

A fabulous place! I only wish it were open for lunch too! Haha. The first guest to book chooses a theme for the evening- especially good have been Mexican, Italian and Christmas. It has a wonderful oldy worlde feel, with wooden beams and candles everywhere and thanks to its location in Hull's Oldtown.You arrive betweeen 8pm and 9pm, and themed starters will await you on your table...e.g. bruschetta and olives on Italian night. Drinks are very, very good value and readily available at the bar or bring your own for £1 corkage. After whetting your appetite, make room and go queue for the buffet! Never had a bad meal here, always an array of salads, sauces, and delicious, piping hot, fresh dishes to enjoy. Eat as much as you like...but by the time you have tried everything, you won't have much room! Try to save some for dessert, as there is a buffet of fruit, cakes, puddings and dairy and vegan ice creams. £16, I believe, for 3 courses + coffee or £12 for students, but not at weekend. You have to try this place! Boook ahead, especially at Christmas- it's popular!

Pros: Fun themes!, Amazing food!, Very Vegan friendly!!!

Cons: None!

The Super Hero of Buffets - Edit

A simply brilliant place with a tremendous atmosphere and reputation set in Hull old town. They have one seating each evening serving a particular type of food (Spanish, Eastern European, Mexican, Italian etc) depending on who has made the first booking and decided on the theme of the evening. Plenty of seating in a huge place, loads of food with many vegan options and cheap house wine. You can even take you own booze if desired. A great great place with a wonderful vibe.

Pros: food, atmosphere

Hitchcock's - Edit

We went in Feb 2010. Brilliant place. Great atmosphere, great food (Spanish theme when we went), and extremely good value. Very friendly staff. Unique. Highly recommended to vegetarians and non-vegetarians, groups, couples etc.

Vegetarian

Contributions +16

Hitchcocks - Edit

I have been to Hitchcocks at least 12 times over the past 5 years.I don't live right near and have to cross the Humber Bridge to visit but it is well worth it. The theme nights are a great idea as every time you go it's different! This place is brill if you have a big appetite as you can eat as much as you want. We have never had to wait for food, and it is always delicious and hot. The desserts are amazing, with so much choice.It is so refreshing to go to a restaurant as a vegetarian and know that everything you're eating is o.k. The price of the food is very reasonable and the fact you can take your own wine etc makes it a good night out. The atmosphere is very relaxed and you don't feel like you have to dress up if you don't want to. I know it won't be long before I go again, and I would recommend it to anyone veggie or not!

Pros: good value for money, excellent choice, delicious desserts

Fantastic food - Edit

I went to Hitchcock's last night for my birthday and had a fantastic meal. The theme was Italian and there was so much to choose from. All the dishes were tasty, but my favourite was the lasagne. Remember to leave enough room for dessert as the cakes and puddings are amazing as well!

Pros: Fantastic food, Very friendly staff, Large portions

Hitchcocks - Edit

i took my boyfriend whos vegan to hitchcocks for his 22nd birthday, i was amazed at the quantity and quality of the food, it was spanish with a hint of russian food when we went and it was lovely, i will defo be going again, the prices of drinks were very reasonable as well and i was also shocked that you can take your own drinks, vegan ice-cream was lovely as well!!! 10/10

Hitchcock's, Hull - Edit

I've been once. The theme for that evenings was Chinese. I've had tastier Chinese food but I believe this place has a good rep foodwise so maybe it was just bad timing by me. There were certainly lots of vegan options. I went in a party of about 25 all of whom raved about the desserts. I had the pecan pie with vegan chocolate ice cream and vegan custard; sensational.

Pros: Terrific pecan pie

Return to Hull Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hitchcock's Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4182 times since Aug 2007.