Heart and Soy

• Vegetarian
Contact 502-452-6678

1216 Bardstown Rd, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, 40204

Sells street-food style Chinese and Asian offerings in a quick setting. Makes tofu, soy milk, and soy pudding from local soy beans. Next door to more upscale Roots restaurant.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out, Fusion, Vietnamese

First Review by xsamx

A new favorite - Edit

Heart and Soy is definitely worth a visit. It is Vietnamese food that you can order quickly, either as some-in or carry-out.

The staff is friendly, and the food is fresh. They even have a tofu machine to make tofu right in the restaurant, and you can buy it in a refrigerated case in the restaurant to take home to enjoy. All items in the case are clearly marked whether or not they are vegan, making delicious vegan eating easy to accomplish.

The desserts are to die for -- totally vegan junk food, but worth every calorie nonetheless.

This has quickly become my new favorite vegetarian/vegan restaurant and will likely soon be yours, too!

Well worth the trip - Edit

We live almost an hour away, but any time we are near Louisville, we make a point of eating at Heart and Soy. The food is fantastic and quickly prepared. We always end up taking home something from their desert fridge because we never have room after the meal.

Pros: Variety, Flavor, Speed

Cons: Little pricey

really wonderful - Edit

My husband and I shared the spicy noodle soup, the fried rice, and some vegan spring rolls. Everything was great and I felt like it was a good value for the price. Everything was fresh and flavorful. The girl at the counter asked if we wanted everything vegan and was very helpful. I couldn't stop exclaiming over how good the soup was. We shared a vegan wunderbar for dessert that was great too. This place made me wish we lived in Louisville. We almost went back for dinner!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 02, 2013
We've been back five or six times since I first reviewed it, and it has been delicious every time! We take our meat eating relatives and they love it to! They told us sometimes the go when we're not there because it is so good! The spicy noodle soup is still my favorite. I have to get it every time!

Pros: great food , all vegetarian , great dessert

Cons: probably a long wait if busy

worth the trip - Edit

Traveling on i65 through Kentucky and we ordered up some take-out for the trip. About 3 miles off the expressway and well-worth the stop. Both adults and kiddos loved this place. My bacon eater and protein princess couldn't get enough of the pan fried noodles. Our vegetarian daughter devoured the spring roles and pot stickers. We also tried the veggie burrito and fried tofu which we're awesome.

Pros: fun neighborhood , vegan desserts

My daughters favorite place for spring rolls - Edit

All vegetarian with a ton of vegan options. The banh mi is fantastic, my 7 year old begs for the spring rolls here. Counter style service, bus your own table. A great place to stop in for a bite.

Pros: Spring rolls, Very vegan friendly

Cons: not a lot of parking

Great little place! - Edit

I'm vegan so I cook at home almost everyday. In this city it's hard to find vegan or healthy options for that matter. Thank goodness for Heart & Soy! My husband and I love everything that we have had there! This is our favorite place! Their food is so fresh and tasty. They make their tofu right in house, as well as everything else. You cannot get a bad meal at Heart & Soy!

Pros: 90% Vegan, Homemade Tofu, Delish!

Heart and Soul - Edit

The food here tasted amazing.

I do not prefer tofu generally. The tofu (made in house) here is really good, the best I've ever eaten. I had the Korean Rice Bowl (minus the egg) with brown rice (plus) and the flavors were sensational (I'm sure an over easy egg on top would send this over the moon). Warning if you don't like spicy, this one will sneak up on you on the back end -- I loved it.

I also had a cup of their house oolong ginger lemongrass tea. Another flavor sensation.

This will not get 5 Cows because I prefer to see a list of the ingredients in each menu item. The menu was not informative to the contents of each dish making it difficult to decide what to order. Eventually I just asked what the best thing was. As previously mentioned: was not disappointed.

I didn't like that there was no parking. Not being from the area I had to drive around the block a couple times and I parked on a side street about 1/4 mile away.

Pros: Flavor, Nice place

Cons: No parking?, Uninformative menu

Heart and Soy has Heart and Soul! - Edit

This place is a GREAT Asian vegetrarian/vegan restuarant on Bardstown Rd. Louisville. Basically everything is vegetarian and can be made vegan. The Vietnamese noodle salad kicks ass. There is deli case with vegan desserts such as puddings, cakes, cupcakes, breads, and pies. The soft tofu pudding with ginger syrup looks incredible. Wonderful.

Pros: Delicious, Great prices, Variety

Delicious and Fast! - Edit

I absolutely love Heart & Soy! I always check out what they have in the cold chest out front, in case I need to take home a dessert for later. I usually have to get one of their Bubble Teas; my favorite flavor is avocado, and I can't help but save the little beads for last. My favorite dish so far is their Korean Cellophane Noodles with tofu and veggies. It is amazingly delicious, and I reheated the leftovers in the microwave the next day, no problem. I would recommend any vegan or vegetarians to come right in, and any adventurous omnivores as well!

Pros: Delicious, Inexpensive

Cons: Little parking

Great Food! - Edit

This place is amazing and very affordable! I loved the Hot & Spicy Noodle Soup! The fried rice was fantastic, not oily at all. It was full of fresh veggies and did NOT taste fried! Will eat there as often as possible!

Frequent Choice - Edit

100% vegetarian. Love the Pho flat noodle soup, which fills me up. Second love is the Vietnamese sandwich. However, I've seen the portion sizes chosen by the place for the fried rice and lo mein, and if you want a heaping plateful, you'll be disappointed. It is delicious, but it's a "healthy" portion size.

Tapioca starch based pudding and vegan baked goods are one of many dessert options. They are quick, they have free add on condiments on the counter, and I've also enjoyed most of their appetizers.

Check it out, they deserve it.

Pros: Quick, Delicious, Plentiful choices

Cons: small portions

Fast, local tofu! - Edit

Of course, this place rules because it is all-vegetarian, but the food is delicious too. Great tofu sandwiches and quick stir-fries, as well as salads. The best part is they sell their own soy milk, tofu, and even soy pudding. They have a nice "to go" section as well. I definitely recommend Heart & Soy for both the health and ethical benefits of this place.

Pros: vegan friendly, in house made tofu

Return to Louisville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Heart and Soy closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5964 times since Aug 2011.