Roots

Contact 502-452-6688

1216 Bardstown Rd, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, 40204

Asian-inspired dishes with in-house tofu and soy items. Around 95% of menu items are vegan suitable. From the owner of Zen Garden and Roots. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat 11:00am-11:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Asian, Vietnamese

First Review by phoray

Decent Meal - Edit

I visited Roots while in Louisville on business. I was by myself and as the menu is made up of small plates suitable for sharing, it would probably better to go with other people. Many of the dishes sounded interesting, ones I have not seen on standard Asian/ Asian fusion menus. I tried the braised beets, and steamed banana leaf with tofu, veggie ham, and vegetables.
The braised beets turned out to be a soup with beets, potatoes, and spinach, in a spicy curry broth. It was not what I expected, but pretty good. I enjoyed the banana leaf dish, although the filling was mostly rice, with very small bits of tofu, veggies, and I assume veggie ham, although I was never really sure what was tofu and what was veggie ham. It was served with some pickled vegetables and a dipping sauce with was nice and flavorful.
All and all my meal was good but not great. The service was a bit lacking and nothing blew me away. That being said, there were several other menu items that sounded good (such as the crepes with mushrooms), so I will probably check it out again the next time I'm in Louisville.

Pros: All veggie, mostly vegan, Interesting menu items

Cons: Mediocre service

Meh. - Edit

Maybe they were having a bad day, but my first meal at Roots, a few days ago, wasn't impressive.
I had the Vietnamese crepe, which has been described by another reviewer as "creamy". It wasn't. The description of the filling in the menu sounded wonderful, and right up my alley, but the crepe I got, which was fairly tasteless, had almost no filling in it. A few small bits of tofu and even smaller bits of other things were sort of dotted or lightly sprinkled around in there; that was it. They were completely unseasoned--not even with salt, and there was none on the table, or any table nearby. A very basic dipping sauce alongside helped a little, but not much.
Alongside, I got the sauteed baby spinach. This was simply a generous-side-dish-sized mound of nicely sauteed but also unseasoned and unsalted young spinach, and was overpriced at $4.50.
The iced tea was okay, though the gourmet teas are clearly saved for the hot-tea folks. My out-of-town friend had the same meal I did, and said it satisfied her, but she was clearly being polite. From the other reviews, I think we must simply have hit an off day, and I may try again one day, probably next door at Heart and Soy.

Pros: See above.

Cons: See above.

Green Papaya Salad! - Edit

Great spot in a hipster neighborhood. It shares the building with the fast-casual Heart and Soy. Roots is the "fancier" half, with zen decor, linens, and table service. The menu is extensive and most items are vegan or can be made vegan.

The green papaya salad was amazing. Complex yet light, with lots of textures. Highly recommended! I also had one of the specials, which I wasn't as fond of, but was still quite tasty.

On your way out, stop into Heart and Soy for a delicious baked good!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly service

Cons: The wall-mounted TV running pics of menu items is

LOVED it! - Edit

This place really delivers when it comes to good looking and tasting food! I ordered the miso and the cucumber rolls, thinking it would be a light lunch. However, the cucumber rolls were quite the feat to finish (I'm not a quitter!). Everything was very tasty and the atmosphere is nice. This is perfect for a date location or if you just happen in for lunch while working in the area for the day.

Pros: tasty food, elegant atmosphere, good customer service

Contributions +394

Amazing! - Edit

The food was so good here. Most of the food could be turned vegan which was nice. The prices weren't bad either. I had the Vietnamese Crepe and it was so creamy. The staff also very friendly and helpful.

Pros: friendly staff, Tasty food

Wonderful! - Edit

Roots is one of my all time favorite Louisville restaurants. It's menu is full of delicious vegan options and the atmosphere is clean and inviting. Do yourself a favor and order the green curry soup. It's absolutely amazing!

Pros: options, clean, green curry soup

Great for dinner. - Edit

Roots is probably my favorite restaurant in Louisville. I also love Heart & Soy but as another reviewer (Megan) describes, Roots is just different. They offer a fancier, sit-down, server experience. Roots has a large menu, in my opinion and it's always hard for me to chose! Everything looks good! They do offer veg or vegan. My favorite is the Thai Salad. Simple yet so darn delicious. They have what seems like hundreds of types of teas from around the world, including organic. I love Roots!

Pros: Place to take out of towners, Date night spot, Quiet

Roots digs deep - Edit

This is a veg/vegan Asian restaurant in Louisville. It is a sit down dinner place with delicious salads, soups and entrees such as Vietnamese vegan crepes. (Delicious) I also had some delicious edamame and cucumber rolls. (also vegan) Some dishes have cheese but I think almost everything can be made vegan. Great place, next door to Heart and Soul which is another great Asian veg restuarant.

Pros: Delicious

Lots of vegan choices! - Edit

I ate here twice during my recent stay in Louisville. I had a chance to try a lot of the vegan options on the menu. There were a few I loved and a few that weren't my favorites (although my husband loved them so it was just a matter of taste). Loved the papaya salad and the summer rolls - so refreshing. Homemade tofu - great! Lots of teas to choose from.

Pros: Lots of vegan choices, Homemade tofu

Perfect Lunch! - Edit

Finally had an opportunity to go to Roots and boy was it amazingly delicious! We had the rice risotto and a curried beet dish and both were simply delicious! We also shared salads which was a perfect portion for a light,summer lunch! The wait staff was so attentive and friendly and helpful in choosing the right dish among so many yummy sounding options!

Pros: Nice Ambiance, Great vegetarian food, Large selection of veggie options

Unreal - Edit

This is my new favourite restaurant in Louisville, and I have tried as many as I have been able to afford during my first year living in the city. I will most definitely be back, especially to return to the UNREAL pan seared ravioli. The menu features a remarkable and fresh ingredient list (variety of mushrooms!!!) and their tea menu (and price) is worth the visit alone. The dining room is pretty special and the staff and owner are very friendly and helpful. Totally worth a try

Pros: TASTE, price, presentation / atmosphere

Next Door to Awesome - Edit

This is actually the same restaurant as Heart & Soy. I call it the "fancy side," because you sit down with breakable dish ware and have a waiter. I love their Tofu Clay Pot, it's very addictive. When I tried their eggplant, it was over cooked to mush, but maybe people like it that way. Due to the fact that I want to save a few bucks on tip, I haven't explored this side as much as the quick lunch side. Not much more expensive than the quick lunch side, though, so that is a plus.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Excellent Food

Return to Louisville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Roots closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.