Hatoguruma Kawabata

Toyosato 8922, Nozawaonsen, Japan

Restaurant in traditional ryokan serving vegetarian food for breakfast and dinner. Vegan upon request. Very limited English spoken. Note: kitchen may stop serving 30-60 minutes prior to closing, check ahead.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Japanese

First Review by travellerrikki

Fantastic food, a wonderful experience - Edit

We stayed at this hotel (it is both a hotel and a restaurant) for four nights and the booking included breakfast, and you could request to eat dinner there too (with 24 hours notice). The breakfasts were very good, a mixture of Japanese and Western (but still with a Japanese twist!) items - many different small dishes to try! It is the same with dinner, there were at least 9 dishes in front of you, each one different and lovingly made. Fresh and interesting and wholesome foods. We felt so well while we were staying there, the food seemed to do us wonders! Also the lady who owns the place and does the cooking (I assume) is truly the loveliest person. There isn't a lot of English spoken but she understands and speaks enough for everyone to get by. She is very open to making the food vegan if you let her know in advance. There are pictures and figurines of all sorts of animals dotted around the place - she clearly loves animals. We loved staying there and if I ever go back I would stay there again without hesitation! And if I couldn't stay there for whatever reason, I would eat there every night!

Pros: Delicious unique food, Japanese Kaiseki style meal, Lovely owner

Amazing - Edit

We had an amazing kaiseki meal here. Completely vegan. Everything was beautifully presented and we felt totally pampered. Must make reservations a day in advance.

Return to Nozawaonsen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hatoguruma Kawabata closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.