First Review by mikehill64

*5, I go back again and again - Edit

I love this place so much - I recently moved to St Leonards and every time a friend or family member has visited me I have dragged them along to this restaurant. (:

The food is super delicious - I would especially recommend the potato cake starter and the aubergine main course. They do a super tasty daal too.

The only things I would advise are to make sure you ask for the vegetarian menu (as the main menu they automatically try and give you doesn't have any vegetarian or vegan options) and to make sure you book as this place has been full up every time I've visited

Pros: exceedingly tasty food, exceedingly tasty food, exceedingly tasty food

Cons: find the tv distracting ):, veg*n items not listed on main menu

Separate vegan menu, unusual dishes - Edit

Loved that they had a separate menu for veggies, vegan dishes clearly shown and most of the dishes were vegan. Thought has been put into creating a range of dishes, not just making a veggie version of each main dish with the same mixed veg mix as often happens.
Each dish had separate, subtle flavours.
Reasonably priced.
Service was very friendly and showed awareness (eg assumed we wouldn't want cow milk with coffee after) though timings were a bit odd and we had to remind them we'd ordered the coffee, but it was a busy night, all the tables full, and they were all polite and friendly throughout.

Pros: vegan options, separate menu, reasonable prices

Brilliant Curry House - Edit

My favourite curry house,Ho there most weeks,very friendly staff and a separate vegan/vegetarian menu!!

Pros: Separate Menu For Vegans/vegetarians

Cons: Also Sells Meat...*:0 (

St Leonards-on-Sea - Gurkha South Caast Capital - Edit

Gurkha Chef, the second of St Leonard-on-Sea's seafront Nepalese restaurants within five minutes' walk of each other, has a completely different menu to its neighbour. Each has a completely separate vegan menu, so why not try out both?

There are various lunch deals, a la carte & takeaway. When we visited, they were refurbishing the front of the restaurant, so it will be interesting to see how nice it now looks.

For starters, we tried Aloo Bara (deep fried spicy cakes of mashed potato) & Gurkha Roll (like a more spicy, large vegetable spring roll), both served with salad & tomato sauce. Mains included a tasty selection of main & side veg dishes. Some nice strong & hot spices here, though staff will happily advise if you like things a little milder.

A good selection & reasonably priced, especially if you take advantage of one of the meal deals.

Pros: Separate Vegan Menu, Interesting Choice Of Diishes, Friendly Staff

Cons: No Soya Milk

great little find! - Edit

spent a lovely evening in this surprizingly good little resturant! thought would be typical indian menu but when we asked if anything was vegan they brought out a special dedicated vegan menu! food was lovely and great value.. worth a try because no dedicated evening places around

Return to Hastings Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gurkha Chef closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1125 times since May 2011.