Gringo A Go Go

919-977-1438

100 N Person St, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA, 27601

Serves meat, vegan options available. Serves authentic Mexican cuisine. Vegan choices are beef, chicken, potatoes, napoles fillings to create vegan tacos, burritos, tortas, etc. Vegans please ask for no cheese or sour cream for some dishes to be vegan. Has live music events. Located downtown. Open Tue-Thu 11:30am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-10:00pm, Sun 11:30am-3:00pm. Closed Mon.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by ansile

Eh - Edit

Good is good. Two pho-meat options plus potatoe as a filling. My guac is way better though- too much lime.
We were served chips in a dirty bowl.
There were cobwebs around the door.
Atmosphere is... eclectic, but still looks dirty.
No children's menu or to-go cups with a lid.
Food is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!!!!
A cheese quesadilla and rice for my child was $12.50! Three adults entrees (small servings), extra tortillas (fajitas only came with two), guac with chips, and waters, and our bill was $48! For Lunch!
Great location if you are going to the free museums in downtown Raleigh, but the sanitation and price will keep us away.

Pros: vegan "beef" and vegan "pollo" options

Cons: DIRTY, EXPENSIVE, No children's menu or cups with lids

Meh - Edit

It has a fun atmosphere and unique decor. My food wasn't great though. I got tacos with the vegan potato filling. I thought it would be potato chunks but it was more like mashed potatoes. Very strange taste. I'll have to try the vegan beef or chicken next time. My omni dad liked his meal though.

Pros: Unique decor, Multiple vegan options, Good value

Cons: Food wasn't great

WORST DINING EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE - Edit

When my food arrived a small bug crawled out from under my burrito immediately as my plate was set down on the table. I asked to see a manager and was told the owner Benjamin would come see me. He never did and so I went inside the restaurant and asked if he could come out to talk to me when he got a chance. He told me he was not going to be able to as he was cooking chips. He also told me that if a bug was in my food it would be dead already due to the fact that food in the kitchen was hot. He then asked me what kind of bug it was, to which I replied I was not an expert on bugs and could not say (understandably). I asked again if he wouldn't mind coming out and talking to me and I stated that I was in no rush. He said aight I'll be out in 5-10 minutes.
In about 10 minutes he came outside and asked what the problem was. I told him about several issues we had dealt with prior to the bug with our waitress and then about the bug. He looked at the bug and told me it was an outside bug (I am 100% sure all bugs AND humans etc are from the outside but I digress). He then told me that I had a bad attitude. I informed him that I have a good friend who is a lobbyist for the NC Restaurant association and that he should be careful what he said to me because the conversation was becoming worse and worse and so was the meal, also my first time at HIS restaurant. All up to now I maintained a calm, normal voice, and did not stand up or yell or swear or make any kind of scene. At this point Benjamin Shelton lost it. He began swearing at me countless times, easily upwards of 30 times, and he seemed particularly fond of the f-word. He told me to "be an adult' and fake cried like a baby with balled up fists. He then told me and my friends to leave and that he was going to call the police and have us trespassed. I told him he was acting insane and a young male employee standing nearby during all this nodded in hearty agreement. He swore so much and so loudly that an older man who was with his wife and young child burst into the tirade and informed Shelton that he "could not believe how much he would swear in front of his young child and that he and his family would never dine there again." Shelton turned to the family and told them to get up and leave too, then doubled-back and said he would comp their meal but they still had to leave. They didn't. Shelton turned his back to us and walked inside. We left. -- I sadly have a limit on review length but you get the picture--

Great vegan friendly Mexican in downtown Raleigh - Edit

The burritos are HUGE and everything is a great value. Went here with several other vegans and we all left very full and happy. I had the vegan beef burrito and got a condiment tray that I split with a friend (I would say the condiments aren't necessary for the burrito but I would get it with the tacos). We also had the peanut salsa and orange salsa and guac with chips, as well as Jarritos. Lots of interesting and different options, the staff is very friendly, and the place is very quirky and cutely decorated.
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 11, 2015

Return to Raleigh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gringo A Go Go closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.