Green Veggie - Wan Chai

Contact +852-23386179

Shop 11-12 G/F, Tonnochy Towers, 254 - 272 Jaffe Rd, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China,

天然齋 is a Taoist vegetarian eatery that also provides food for charities. Has English menu. Nearest MTR Wan Chai exit A1. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by Stevie

Lovely little place in Wanchai - Edit

I am so happy to have discovered this little gem!
I came in around 2.10 and the place was quiet. Apparently there had been quiet a crowd for the lunch special as they were out of 8 of the 10 dishes.
So, I had the Assorted Stir Fry Veggies with Pine Nuts and the half portion of the BBQ pork with Buns. Both dishes were extremely tasty....Flavourful and not too salty.
The staff were very friendly and the decor of the place is quite stylish.
They do take-away, take credit cards and are very good value for money. There is even free WiFi (you have to agree to T&C).
I will be happy to return on my next visit to HK

Pros: Everything

Amazing food, warm people - Edit

We spent a long weekend in Hong Kong and were so pleased with this restaurant that we went twice. Everything we ate was wonderful: barbecue "pork" buns, sweet and sour mountain head mushrooms, dried "beef" noodles, "shrimp" with mango, spring rolls, oh my. We felt very welcome and our server went out of his way to continuously refill our tea and show us some things he saw that we were curious about. They even brought us free dessert! Beautiful and clean as well. Love. This. Place. We (two adults and one child) ate for 35 U.S. dollars, I think.

A Great Find In Wan Chai! - Edit

Thanks Happy Cow for directing me to this great restaurant! The food was amazing, and great value for the price. It is a fantastic vegetarian restaurant (but not everything is Vegan, as dishes may include egg and cheese). There were so many options, and I wished I could sample everything on the menu. I opted for the set menu, which was great value. The staff were attentive - and would not let my tea cup go empty. I arrived early (at 6pm) on a Tuesday; I was the only guest there - but in 15 minutes the restaurant had almost filled up. I stared in awe at my neighbour's food arriving, everything looked mouthwatering. The menu is in English, and contains photos of some of the dishes.

Pros: Amazing food, great value, Extensive menu, Easy to find on Jaffe Road

Green Veggie - Wan Chai, Hong Kong Island - Edit

I lunched here today, choosing the HK$48 option which comprised a soup, rice, and three separate dishes. I also added in the sweet and sour gluten for an extra HK$10. The food was excellent, and included tofu in a curry sauce, a radish dish, and aubergine in a chilli sauce (which was not as spicy as it sounded). The restaurant staff were very attentive and the food was served super fast; I was in and out within half an hour. Green Veggie also offers the set lunch for takeaway, with smaller lunch options available from HK$45. I’ll be going back!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly and attentive staff, A choice of portion size on lunch menu

green veggie - wanchai - Edit

i came here with the hk meatfree meetup group before and remember the food as being flavourful without being too salty.

dining alone this time, i ordered a claypot set (hkd98), which came with two small starters (kimchi and a choice of one of three - i tried 海帶素玉絲, kelp and bamboo shoot and something else, which was nice), soup, a claypot dish and buckwheat tea. almond dessert was on the house.

i chose the claypot dish that the wait staff said was most popular - "rice steamed mountain mushroom with cloud ears and lily buds in stone pot" 金針雲耳蒸猴頭菇煲仔飯. it comprised cloud ear fungus, monkey head mushroom, red dates, orange-day lily??? and a few stalks of choy sum. it was delicious, with mushrooms likely to fool meat-eaters, but because of the generous, almost overflowing, helpings, i found it hard to thoroughly mix the ingredients with the rice and soy sauce, as what one normally does with claypot dishes, which made the rice at the bottom pretty dry and flavourless towards the end. i'd also have preferred that the 飯焦 or burnt rice stuck to the pot had been slightly more "burnt".

finishing the entire claypot set proved a struggle for me and on my next visit i will probably order less or come with companions so that we can share dishes.

staff were extremely friendly and attentive, clearing dishes and refilling tea, and checking with the chef if they were unsure of any question posed.

while i was there, an english-speaking girl, probably a tourist, came in. she wasn't feeling well and just wanted a bowl of hot soup, and as a vegan not used to chinese-style veggie restaurants seemed rather distressed with the meat/seafood sounding names on the menu. i chipped in and reassured her several times that this was a vegetarian restaurant, and staff went out of their way to check if the dishes she had in mind could be prepared without egg or dairy. later on i overheard her ordering another bowl of the same tofu soup, and what impressed me was hearing the counter staff confirming with kitchen staff that this should be egg free as well.

with hkd8 tea charge and 10% service charge, my dinner came to hkd117; not the cheapest, but it was a very pleasant, relaxing experience.

Pros: friendly, attentive staff, delicious food, relaxing ambience

Green Veggie - Wan Chai, Hong Kong - Edit

I hoovered along here this evening as part of a group of 36 with the Meat Free Hong Kong group in meetup.com. The feedback appears to have been very fabourable with numerous people remarking how much they enjoyed the food and the setting. Service was good also with helpful and pleasant staff with one lady in the waitress team in particular who was cheerful to the point of being quite excited.

Very enjoyable all round.

Updated from previous review on Saturday July 11, 2015

Nice people, nice staff in a nice setting.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Nice food, Nice staff

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Green Veggie - Wan Chai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.