Oriental Vegetarian

+852-2603-6266

3/F, 239 Hennessy Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China

Hong Kong style vegetarian restaurant. Vegans please inquire. Nearest MTR is Wan Chai exit A2. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-3:00pm, 5:30pm-10:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Chinese

First Review by Stevie

Oriental Vegetarian - Edit

I come here occasionally for their weekday set lunches (hkd50 for rice, soup, tea and a choice of three dishes out of six, served in a pretty three-leaf clover dish).

The place is packed from 1 to 2 pm - be prepared to share tables with strangers and wait for your food. It's much quieter and more tranquil after 2, but certain dishes may have run out by then. The set lunch menu is written on a blackboard and is only in Chinese. I've enjoyed what I've eaten so far, but remember certain dishes to be on the salty side.

Some a la carte dishes such as fried rice and noodles are also offered during lunchtime, with bigger portions and higher prices. These seem to be more carb-loaded, and more suitable for sharing with friends. I've only tried the Japanese-style udon on one occasion when there wasn't much choice left amongst the set options. It cost hkd65 and, though tasty, was oily and didn't come with much veggies.

The dinner menu is in both English and Chinese, and they also have a separate private dining menu (two days' advance notice required). The waitstaff who attended to us recommended their signature char siu (roast "pork"), and said that if we are vegans they would substitute honey with maltose. He also confirmed that all dishes we ordered had no onion and garlic.

Two of us shared truffle rice, char siu, and a dish consisting of okra, green peppers and black fungus, and had a walnut/cashew paste dessert each. Food was good and portions were just right - we were advised to order more later if needed. The bill came up to hkd221 per pax.

From the menu, it seems that there are some dishes (eg noodles) during dinner time that might be suitable for solo diners (below hkd50 before service charge).

Pros: Vegan friendly, Staff knowledgeable about ingredients

Cons: Would be better if vegan items are labelled, Lunch menu only in Chinese

Delicious Chinese food - Edit

I ate here as part of a Meat Free Meet Up group lunch, and loved the food. It is Chinese with some interesting, more unusual, creative options. There is LOTS of variety.

My favourite dishes were:
- buns which we stuffed with edamame beans/firm tofu mix (so tasty!)
- Battered enoki mushrooms (yum)
- DELICIOUS sticky sweet monkey head (lion's mane) mushrooms
- Smooth and creamy beetroot and coconut soup

We also had the following:
- melon, cashew nut, dragonfruit salad
- stuffed gourd dish
- Cabbage, goji berry, mushroom dish in soup
- Rice dumpling (found this a bit heavy)
- Dessert nut soup

Recommend a visit!

Pros: Creative options, Tasty food, Good service

My favorite place in this area - Edit

Their food is sooo goood!!! I love their lion's mane mushroom. Their congee is also good. Just their stir-fry is very oily and greasy so I have to avoid these. Their staff is very nice. There's free wifi here.

Pros: Delicious food

Cons: Some stir-fried food is oily

Oriental Vegetarian, Hong Kong - Edit

This place has just opened. It's a HK style food place. My better half asked and from her enquiries there seems to be plenty vegan stuff to choose from. Food was enjoyable in a pleasant setting.

If this place was all vegan I'd defo rate it 5.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-10

Pros: Vegan friendly

Cons: All vegan would be great

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Oriental Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.