Green Earth

Contact 06-62511245

Osaka-shi, Chuo-ku, Kitakyuhoji-machi 4-2-2, Room 503 (at Hommachi area), Osaka, Japan,

One of Osaka's first vegetarian restaurants. Very vegan-friendly lacto vegetarian resto. Offers great value daily set. Also pasta, pizza, salad, sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, desserts. Closed on public holidays. Reservations available on Sun and public holidays for groups of more than 8 persons. Mon-Thu 11:30am-5:00pm, Sat 11:30am-5:00pm, Fri 11:30am-10:30pm Closed on public holidays. Reservations available on Sun. and public holidays for groups of more than 8 persons.

Category: Lacto, Pizza, International, Italian, Macrobiotic

First Review by PlanetEarth

Good value, quick service, tasty - Edit

I had the "Lunch of the day", and ordered a soy burger to go for later, came to 1450¥ in total. The food came within 10 minutes, tasted fresh and good. The waiter speaks great English, and was as helpful as you could expect, no smiles, but fast and efficient.

Pros: Good variety, Fast, Fresh

Green Earth, Osaka - Edit

1stly to clear up some confusion. This establishment is defo not 100% vegan. The blurb on the menu inside cover clearly states they offer lacto milk and lacto cheese. I asked the server who confirmed that info to be correct.

This was great food and the best value for money I've encountered so far in my admittedly short stay in Japan. The set deal was great value and great taste at 700 yen. My spouse ordered a salad that was similarly delicious.

This place would defo be a 5 rating from me if it were 100% vegan.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Good value, Great tasting food

Cons: Shame about the lacto milk and lacto cheese

good honest vegan food :) - Edit

I had the set lunch- very reasonable and hearty! I particularly liked the vegan bread, tasted very homemade! The owner is super nice and chatty :) I was happy to support this historic vegetarian cafe!!

Seriously delicious - Edit

I ate here twice for lunch and both times had the set lunch and it was delicious! Seriously filling good wholesome food. The owner was lovely and friendly and I couldn't recommended this place more!

Pros: So yummy

Go, just go, it's 100% worth it! - Edit

This quaint little restaurant is by far my favourite in Osaka. It has a warm ambiance amongst other diners. The owner speaks great English and is super friendly. Their menu has ample options.

Highly recommend the garden salad & pizza.

Pros: Menu is great!, Pizza is everything, Worth a second visit

Cons: Dessert cake a little dry , Tofu Quiche doesn't come with salad like in the pi

Affordable and Basic - Edit

I've been to Green Earth several times and the owner always recognizes me and kindly wants to know how I'm doing. This is the oldest vegetarian restaurant in Osaka and that's pretty much the vibe it has. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the space design, which is long and cavernous with the kitchen at the front and seating area at the back. It's a little bit depressing, especially during times when few other customers are there as well (at lunch time it is usually packed, however). The food is basic, with lots of western style options such as vegan burgers, hot dogs, wraps, sandwiches, etc. I often wish the food had more of a fresh, "organic" feeling to it, but it's niche does make it a bit cheaper than other veggie cafes in Osaka. Good to fill up or kick a craving for something basic. They are open for lunch until 6pm every day (usually...) EXCEPT Friday, when they are closed for lunch but open for dinner.

Pros: Inexpensive, Lots of western style options, Kind owners

Cons: Lacks freshness sometimes, A bit oily, Oddly designed space

Green Earth is one of the best vegetarian restaurants in Japan - Edit

Green Earth is one of my favorite restaurants in Japan (on my top 3). The owners are kind, spontaneous Osaka-jin, and their food is both very tasty and cheap. There's a nice little seating area outside too. And it's near Shinsaibashi

Pros: Friendly, open and welcoming owners, Very tasty food, Cheap

Amazing experience! - Edit

Had a great experience here. We stopped by for lunch and there is many traditional japanese options as well as western style options too. I had the lunch of the day and it was incredible! large portions, very reasonably priced and the service was great. Highly recommend this place!

what a great lunch spot! - Edit

Lovely little vegetarian restaurant within easy walk of the British Consulate. The set lunch is amazing value, tasted great and was beautifully presented. Huge portion size too! Unsurprisingly with such great attention to detail the service was fabulous too. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Pros: vegan options a plenty , they sell vegan ice cream , there is a vegan bakery

A must-visit - Edit

I've been here 3 times: Once as a tourist two years back, and twice since moving here.

Green Earth is a very sweet restaurant. The owner and his wife are wonderful people; his English is excellent. It's quaint but proud.

They specialize in lunch sets. For an unbeatable price, you get a good meal that changes day to day. Easily one of the best deals in Osaka veg dining! I had burritos today; the other day it was corn cakes - always with soup, salad and a small side.

And if you're still hungry or want something else, the rest of the menu is robust and won't let you down. Then there are baked goodies.

Track the hours; it's usually just lunchtime, though they have a Friday-night dinner (which I want to try). If they're open and you're near and/or hungry, go to Green Earth!

Pros: Awesome value , Great owners that provide excellent service, Quality/quantity of food

Cons: Only open a small portion of the day, Aesthetic too plain for image-conscious diner

Timing is bit off but the food's good! - Edit

Went there with 2 Japanese friends and we ordered 2 daily specials and 1 curry. The daily specials came really quickly but we were nearly halfway our meals when the curry came... My friend enjoyed the curry though so it ended up alright :) But if timing bothers you maybe you could explicitly ask for everything to be brought together?

I had the daily special which was lasagne mmm. Ordered a large portion of rice because I was hungry. Felt full afterwards so no complaints there!

Also has a small shop with dried soy meat and tasty vegan muffins.

Revisited last week. My friend had the apple pie but it didn't look appetising and it didn't taste any good either - dry and hardly any filling. I had the soy milk sauce and ham spaghetti which was OK but nothing special.

The waiter was unfriendly both times I went. The first time I thought hey everyone has a bad day every once in a while but if it happens twice I'll write about it. They hardly looked up when we came in. The waiter was in a hurry even though there weren't many customers. He was also distracted so we had to repeat our order twice. He didn't seem to care and didn't bother to give water refills. Same attitude both times.

Updated from previous review on Sunday January 10, 2016

Pros: good portions, daily specials are served quickly

Cons: some menu items are slow, unfriendly owner, apple pie is no good

An Osaka Must! - Edit

An unassuming spot located in the Hommachi area (about a 5-10min walk from the station) with friendly staff and a relatively extensive menu, including daily specials. The portions are generous and the food is delicious! If you're in the area - it's s must-try. If you're not, make it a destination - you won't be disappointed!

Pros: Great food, Great staff, Great value

Best in Osaka - Edit

If you go to Osaka you must to visit.Be aware about business hours,dinner is once per week .

Se vc visitar Osaka vale muito a pena.O menu é bem variado.Apenas verifique o horario de atendimento pois para jantar é apenas uma vez por semana.

Pros: Excellent food and good value, English menu, Friendly staff

Great place - Edit

I've eaten here a few times now, and I'm always happy to go back. Food is good and reasonably priced. Plus the owners are nice and friendly. Strangely a vegan restaurant with non vegan options.

Pros: Cheap lunch available until 5pm every day

Green Earth - Osaka - Edit

This place was really delicious and inexpensive. I got the hummus sandwich with daily soup cup. All breads are made in house. The portions were fair. The menu is very extensive, and they have a plate that changes daily. I also purchased a chai cookie that was really delicious.

Pros: Inexpensive, Delicious, Wide Variety

Cons: Atmosphere, Layout

Great selection of vegan food in Osaka! - Edit

Walked passed this place a few times when trying to find it, but eventually made it and glad I did! Had a tasty and filling lunch for about 700 yen which I thought was a great bargain, especially for all vegan food! Just letting you know that they aren't open for dinner (I think only Friday dinner is open) so make sure you get there for lunch :) I would recommend the cheesecake and the hotdogs are good to takeaway if you're travelling on the train somewhere, but you are spoilt for choice here - pizza, pasta, sandwiches, rice bowls,soy meats etc....definitely a good find!
Updated from previous review on Sunday June 14, 2015

Pros: Great variety of food!, Very affordable, Meal deals

Decent food at a decent price - Edit

Based on reviews on Happy Cow I went to Green Earth restaurant. It is relatively easy to find because it is on a road parallel to "Mido-suji" which is one of the main roads in central Osaka. There's a prominent Happy Cow sticker on the door, which was very assuring.

The restaurant isn't exactly cosy and looks more like a cheap office canteen than a restaurant. The menu is available in English and the waitress showed pictures of each dish on her phone. Great service!

I ordered the "Soy BBQ with rice bowl" and it was brought to me swiftly. The soy was a brown substance which didn't really have a joy like bite, but it was okay. The ingredients didn't taste like top quality ingredients, but then again the prices are very low. The rice bowl was a mere 650 yen, so one cannot expect top quality at that price. Instead the Green Earth restaurant offers decent vegan food at a very decent price.

As reported before: the restaurant is open daily for lunch. It is only open on Friday evening for dinner.

Pros: cheap, easy to find, good service

Cons: not the best in town

Wonderful vegan food, best in Osaka - Edit

Of all the veg restaurants I've tried in Osaka, Green Earth has been the best...the only one getting a 5 rating so far.

Their mapodoufu (normally tofu with minced-meat sauce) was astonishingly good, even better than the "real" thing. In fact the entire lunch set (salad, soup, etc.) was terrific. All the food also felt very healthy...the food quality is really good and natural. My personal favourite was their grain-crust apple pie...one of the best I ever had anywhere, vegan or not. Even the coffee was amazing. Basically, just some of the best vegan food I've had, and extremely reasonable!

The location is fairly convenient (side street close to Honbashi station), and the interior is nice enough...just benches on the sides of the room but still warm atmosphere. The staff was also quite nice.

Unfortunately, aside from Friday evenings, it is not open for dinner. However, the entire menu including lunch special is served all afternoon, till closing, which is great.

This place, with its food quality, staff, and even business hours, reminded me a lot of my other favorite in Tokyo, Kushi Garden. This is one listing that I think very much deserves its many positive reviews. Easily the best that I've had in Osaka...highly recommended.

Pros: Delicious healthy food, Very reasonable prices

Cons: Generally closed in the evenings

amazing cafe - Edit

The food here is lovely, and very filling for a reasonable price. The location is a bit out of the way, but easy to find. The staff are super friendly and speak good English, and talked a lot to me. I actually went twice in my 3 day stay in osaka. I had the set lunch (soup, salad, rice, veg, and veggie burgers for 1000 yen, although this changes every day) one day, and a vegan pizza (900 yen) and hummus sandwich (500 yen) the other day. All were REALLY delicious. They also had nice looking desserts, although I did not try them. I highly recommend this place!

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, English menu

one of Japan's best places - Edit

This is Japan's oldest vegan restaurant

99% vegan with one exception: you can request regular cheese on the pizza, otherwise you'll get soy or cashew cheese

Pros: location in Osaka, price, quality

Cons: wish they had a Tokyo location also!

Wonderful Hidden Gem - Edit

There is really nothing negative that could be said about this cute, reasonably-priced, friendly restaurant, except I wish they were open later. Though, there are open those pesky hours between 2~5 when many other vegetarian options are closed.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 14, 2014

Pros: Friendly Staff, Reasonably Priced, Large Portions

Cons: Closed Most Nights

Cheap & Simple (not Gourmet) - Edit

Nice place, nice staff, chep prices. It's a kind of western Style vegan restaurant That sound strange in Japan. It would match the american or australian taste for vegan food. For an european taste would probably be too Simple at not gourmet. Then serve organic beer from switzerland and I think it would be nice to serve LOCAL organic beer. Anyway it's nice to find 100% vegan place around the world, so thank you Green Hearth for your every day kitchen, treats, pizza and sandwich.

Pros: Cheap prices , Friendly staff

Cons: Not local beer, Western Style food

Great place all hand made food - Edit

We were so happy when we found this place! It was a busy lunch time and and we got the meal of the day and a pizza! Both of which were entirely hand made (choice of 3 types of "cheese" on the pizza we had cashew and it was great!). We enjoyed talking to the waiter as it gradually slowed down and had 2 desserts a slice of tofu cheesecake and a hot pumpkin pie pocket! They were so great and we picked up some health food treats on our way out!! Great value for money and excellent service!!!

Pros: Location, Service, Best food!

Fantastic! - Edit

I just went with two non-vegetarians and all three of us were raving about the food (2 of us American, 1 Japanese). That says a lot! Pretty good size menu, many options, English menu, extremely reasonable prices and tons of vegan pastries. I'll definitely go back again this week!

Pros: Easy To Find, Friendly Service, English Menu

Cons: Only Open For Lunch

Fantastic! Do not hesitate you will be rewarded :) - Edit

The food is great, the menu is the best selection I've ever come across at any vegetarian restaurant - not only vegan but you can also order most things without garlic (which I hate because it makes you stink no matter what garlic munchers would have you believe are the magic qualities of garlic), and without onions, leeks, chives, green onions, etc. - so the food it super clean!!!

Mr. Ito - the owner / waiter - is refreshingly friendly and speaks very good English! Mrs. Ito and her staff are excellent cooks who make home-cooked vegan food the way it should be!

The whole experience is very down-to-earth -- from the very reasonable prices to the clean, simple quality of food and selection, to the easy-going atmosphere of the place. -- This is one of my favorite vegetarian restaurants in the world! I wish it were in New York! My only complaint is that they were out of matcha soy pudding which I really wanted to try - oh, well, next time.

HIGHLY Recommended. Easy to find just walk out of exit 15 at Hommachi station and make the first left and walk a little more than one block down a quiet street. You will pass a Shinto shrine complex on your right, then a corner interior gas station on your right, then look on your left across from the gas station and you'll see a little woody-looking place with a sign "Green Earth". Call ahead to see if they're open if you can because sometimes they're not as the owners appear to run the whole operation by themselves with minimal staff.

Pros: WONDERFUL food, Down-to-earth, Affordable

Simply perfect! - Edit

Finding Green Earth was like finding a gem. The food was absolutely delicious and the owners very knowledgable about vegan food. The prices are very reasonable -- especially for how delicious the food is! I bought a chai cookie to-go, and it too was absolutely wonderful. I have several upcoming trips to Osaka planned, and will return to Green Earth each time! I highly recommend this restaurant!

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, reasonable cost

My Fave in Osaka!! - Edit

Green Earth is great for those vegos wanting some great vego WESTERN food like you'd get back in Oz, UK or U.S. I lived in Osaka for a year and discovered this place from a friend at Aikido and am so glad she told us about it. The menu is really good and very varied. You can eat there quite regularly and never get sick of eating the same thing. The food quality is very good and tastes are fantastic. You can get vegan pizzas, hotdogs, cabanara pasta, burgers, all the great western vego food you might be craving. BUT on top of that it's actually really good value for the mock meat western style choices you get. And the LUNCH SET is always awesome...such good value. You get a rotating (different every time I went) main dish + salad + smaller rotating (varied) salad + small cup of soup + brown rice or wholemeal bread (like you will find nowhere else - made especially for the cafe) that is soooooooo good. The male owner (of the couple) speaks fluent english - learnt to cook vego food in the States or UK I believe and is very sweet and friendly. They also sell dried seitan, frozen vegan ham and hotdogs for a really reasonable price plus vegan cookies, cakes, muffins etc. EVERYTHING I ATE THERE IN THE SPACE OF 6 MONTHS OR MORE WAS FANTASTIC!! It's non-smoking, thank goodness and has a really nice big seating space with a nice relaxed atmosphere. Beware...you may want to eat there everyday...and with the lunch set such good value and so varied...if you live or work in Hommachi area...you could well do that. Please support these guys. Great cafe!

Pros: Fantastic western menu, value for money, awesome lunch set

Cheap and Yummy - Edit

Just adding some directions, agree with reviews above!
Take exit 15 of Honmachi Station. Go straight and take the next left. Walk about a block and on the right you should see a petrol/gas station. Green Earth is just a little further down on the left hand side.
Well worth a vist for a cheap and yummy lunch.

Pros: cheap, lots to choose from, healthy

Cheap and Delicious - Edit

Lunch set changes daily. Also pizza, with vegan options, excellent burger and hot dogs, sandwiches, pasta. I always get the tofu pudding to eat and then buy some of the awesome cookies to take home. I'm not entirely sure if it's all vegan; I think they offer some milk options in drinks and pizza and may have some noodles containing egg. But they have English-speaking staff who will guide you. The vegan cheese option on the pizza on the English menu was crossed off but it is present on the Japanese menu and still available.

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, Vegan-friendly

Cons: Vegan ambiguity

irreprochable - Edit

the best thing about Green Earth is the name. secondly, the welcoming board says "welcome", and on its backside says "thank you". this brought me to tears. ok now on to the food.
food is good and varied, with pastas, sandwhiches, burgers, and what else i don't remember. I just remember it's extensive enough to eat there every day. Every day because it is cheap, in the good sense. This is the place you want to go to if you're on a budget travelling or want to eat somewhere amazing everyday. 700 yen for a filling course. Their is more focus on taste and nutritional quality than presentation and sophisticated preparation, as seen at Maman Terrace. Large selection of cakes, puddings, cookies and other sweets...The owners are also very nice, sat down and conversed for half an hour. All in all, this place has prices at cafeteria prices and delivers simple, varied and irreprochable food.

Pros: Varied menu, Big portions, Ground level prices

Cons: Not focused on aesthetic

Return to Osaka Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Green Earth closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 11693 times since Aug 2007.