Govinda - Midrand

68/1 Norfolk Rd, Carlswald, Midrand, Johannesburg, South Africa

Gauranga's Higher Taste changed its name to Govinda in early-2016. Indian vegetarian food, hot dogs and fast food egg-less cake and baked goods. In case of problems finding the restaurant, call the owner's mobile, number above. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-3:00pm, 5:00pm-8:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-8:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-5:00pm. Open on public holidays.

Categories: Lacto, Indian, Western, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by Wolfmoon

couldn't find it, phone number goes straight to voicemail. - Edit

It seems to be only very rural road, with barely any numbers displayed on the big securit fences, and definitely no business nor identifying signs that I could see. Drove up and down the road for over 10 minutes, and although I was there during opening times the phone only went to voicemail. Some websites list 135 as the address number. That didn't work either.

Cons: couldn't find it , didn't answer their phone , still hungry

Wolfmoon 02 Apr 2017 - Hi xjamiex,
I have emailed Govinda to find out if they have changed their phone number again. I remember that when I first went there I also struggled, but then eventually found it. They told me then that the number was this on the page, was it the one you tried? They also told me they are now called Govinda and that the plot is no longer 135, but 68/1. Apologies if this info is not accurate, but I will let you know when they reply.

An absolute haven from the city - Edit

Even though I struggled to get there due to some changes in the place number, I must say it was worth it. I am usually not a big fan of Indian cuisine because I find it too hot but this one had the perfect amount of hot for me. Most of their dishes are lacto-vegetarian but there are quite a few vegan options, namely the pastas, hot dogs and briani, which were nice and tasty. I opted for a plate with several options. Unfortunately no desserts were available. Staff is very friendly and dedicated. The place also works as a temple and has a few lakes with fish and ducks and an enclosure with two lovely cows that you can feed if you donate an amount of your own choice. Govinda also works closely with Food for Life (an organization that cooks vegetarian/vegan meals for impoverished communities world wide) in the area - Midrand and is active on cow protection. In fact, the public can also take some veggies for the existing cows in the place (not cooked). You can also have your meals outdoors if you want to. A very green, natural place in the heart of the Midrand. A perfect escape from the city.

Pros: Great food, Friendly and helpful staff, In the middle of nature

Cons: No desserts, Hard to find

Return to Johannesburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Govinda - Midrand closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.