Govinda

Contact 421-252962366

Obchodna 30, Bratislava, Slovakia, 81106

Veggie restaurant located on the main shopping street. Casual and relaxed. Has sweets and ice cream (uses dairy). Will accommodate request for vegan food. Mar 2014 re-opened after months of closure; same menu. Mon-Fri 11:30am-7:00pm, Sat 11:30am-5:00pm

Category: Lacto, Indian, Hare Krishna

First Review by Stevie

... as expected - Edit

Typical Govinda / Hare Krishna food - simple and good, but nothing extraordinary.

Food is mainly vegetarian - although it is usually possible to have a nice vegan lunch (after discussing the options with the staff), it happened to me few times that I ended up with rice and salad only as everything else contained dairy.

Good place for vegetarians; vegans, be prepared to negotiate.

Pros: atmosphere , jugs with water on the tables (free)

Cons: not exactly "vegan-friendly", limited choice

It is Govinda – an inexpensive, welcoming oasis - Edit

I did not expect to find many vegetarian options in Bratislava, but there appear to be a half-dozen restaurants. The only one I was able to get to that was open in the short time I was in the city was Govinda’s Kitchen. Full plate of tasty Indian food, made with love, for less than 4 Euros!

Pros: very inexpensive

Just Govinda - Edit

Just like with all Govinda restaurants, it's good that Govinda exists, but it's nothing special. I like the taste of their interesting food, but I don't like that they are mostly vegetarian, not vegan. There is only one vegan meal and in my opinion it costs too much for the portion which are they offering. But decorations are as always interesting and atmosphere is nice.

Cons: mainly vegetarian, prices

once ... not two times - Edit

After walking under the rain, we finally found it .... Typically chilled out Hare Krishna atmo, sad that the lights are some dirty neons .But first sensation , we might have a nice lunch .

We were served vegan food after discussing with the girl serving and actually that didn t let many options.
We got a big plate with the most tasless salad I ever ate ,the lowest price overcook rice and some vegetables in a yellow sauce .

There are not many vegan options in Bratislava but any pasta with tomatosauce in any restaurant would have been better than those plates .

Sad sad sad , because we ofcourse prefer to support veg(etar)ian places than random restaurant .

hare krishna - Edit

This is a kind of restaurant where you know what you can expect. The "subji" is spicy and sweet, the "koftas" are excellent. When I asked for vegan food the staff started to explain me why should'nt I refuse diary products, was not very nice, but finally I got what I wanted.

Pros: all-you-can-eat

Cons: not friendly to vegans

Usual Govinda style food found in any country. - Edit

Found Govinda's after searching and searching for City Cafe. When we finally found City Cafe it was closed so we visited Govinda's. Had the meal platter. Food was the usual mild tasting luke warm Govinda dishes found all over the world - great to know you're eating food that you can trust is vegetarian but not the tastiest (or the worst) in the world.

Pros: Trusted name, inexpensive, filling food

Cons: Not the tastiest food in the world, Wish restaurant map was on website, luke warm food

A really nice place - Edit

We went to Govinda for lunch and both had a (small and a big) all you can eat dish with good but not overwhelmingly great food (rice, vegetables, sauce) and bread. We really enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere. The price was really low as well (about 2€ for a small plate).
The staff spoke little English but was very friendly.
Try some of the different chalva deserts!
We really liked the place and will definitely come back if we go to Bratislava again.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Cheap, Friendly staff

Get there early - Edit

My advice is to arrive at least an hour before closing time, otherwise most of the food might be gone. I had to settle for soup and rice one night. It was okay but hardly the most exciting meal I've ever had. The woman at the counter spoke good English and urged me to get there earlier the next night. I did - and it was a wise move. The curry was good and, even though there are only a few options, you can eat as much as you want for about £3.50. I was a bit confused about what was included in the all-you-can-eat deal so ask before you order. There is a sign for the restaurant in the street, you walk down the alley and it's down the stairs.

Pros: Cheap, Decent food, Friendly

Cons: Limited choice

Góvinda, Bratislava - Edit

A while since was here but I'd be more than happy to return. very central location makes it easy to get to. Typically chilled out Hare Krishna atmo, very laid back. I was served vegan food after discussing with the guy serving what was and what wasn't vegan.

Pros: Central location, Tasty food, Relaxed

Return to Bratislava Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Govinda closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4040 times since Aug 2007.