Giapo

• Other Other
Contact 021-412402

279 Queen St, Auckland, New Zealand,

An upscale, unique artsy haute ice cream shop with a good selection of vegan flavors. One-of-a-kind shop featuring artistic cones and decorated tops. Worth the cost for the price. Located next to the Civic Theater. All items are made by Head Chef Gianpaolo Grazioli. Voted number 1 in the city on trip advisor. Open Mon-Sun 12:30pm-10:30pm.

First Review by RayTomes

The best I've ever had! - Edit

The best ice-cream ever comes from Giapo. The staff are super helpful and make sure you tell them you're Vegan so they don't give you the wrong come. Also, they are really helpful and friendly so it's better for everyone if you just let them know.
I had a lemon sorbet with raspberry powder and a vegan chocolate cone, which nice and refreshing. Definitely worth the steep price!

unreal - Edit

best icecream i had in my entire life! the stuff is very friendly and helpful! we tried 3 vegan (one was glutenfree) options. try it with a cone. the price (10) totally worth it!

Worth a Visit - Edit

I visited today after finding it on my Happy Cow ap and I can certainly saw I was amazed. Today there was a vegan salted Carmel, a vegan cookies and cream and a vegan fruit blend ice cream. The ice creams were coconut ice creams with the cookies made with almond meal. I opted for cookies and cream after taste testing all of the vegan flavours. Each flavour comes with its own unique accompaniment. Today the cookies and cream came with a dark chocolate filled cone, melted dark chocolate on the outside, dipped in rice puffs and topped with a gooey centred biscuit. I follow a mostly whole food vegan lifestyle so I found the ice cream in its entirety to be incredibly rich and almost sickly, mostly because I tend to eat chocolate once in a while and in small doses. Having said that, it's great to indulge and treat yourself to something you wouldn't normally eat. The experience itself was enough. There's nothing more exciting than finding vegan food but there's a novelty to choosing your flavour and seeing what toppings it comes with. Deluxe cups and cones are expensive at about $20-25 but they are very impressive just to even look at. I took a single scoop in a cone and it was $10. Also, loved the staff today. I was offered water while I was eating and she gave me a napkin, something I didn't think I needed. Along with that, they're happy to provide samples before taking your order and they offer samples of toppings as you wait in line. It was pretty impressive overall.

Pros: vegan flavours and toppings, good service

Cons: there's a line

Siamu Popo flavour is my all time favourite ever! - Edit

It's expensive but they always have more than 1 vegan flavour and it's always awesome! And, they decorate it with vegan toppings too!

Pros: delicious!, separate section for vegan flavours , vegan cones

Cons: line ups, $$$$, limited seating

ohmygoooodddd - Edit

The place seems incredibly wanky and pretentious. with huge queues of people crowding outside and a waitress going down the line offering tiny shot glasses of water to "cleanse the palette" (ugh, give me a break)

So i was surprised to find that the icecream isn't all hype. Probably the best icecream ive ever had. Even since before I went vegan. I got some kind of coconutty creation, covered in cocoa powder and INJECTED with caramel sauce from a squeeze bottle. What is this delicious insanity?
Updated from previous review on Monday March 14, 2016

Pros: delicious vegan icecream

Cons: big queues, eye-rollingly pretentious, expensive

Best vegan ice cream I've ever had - Edit

This was amazing. Giapo's is all about the experience of tasting ice cream. Well worth the price. They had about 5 vegan flavours and I'm not talking just sorbets. I had their caramel one but the chocolate peanut one was also delicious. They present it beautifully. Whilst I was there they were training a new employee and I heard them being very clear about it being a vegan ice cream and therefore only using vegan toppings. Loved it here!!

Pros: delicious , worth the cost

killer Siamu popo - Edit

I've been going here for years and there is regularly new and interesting flavours to be had. Sadly often the run out of vegan cones so you have to use paper cups, bit you can call and reserve them.
Well worth the extra cost over the usual sorbetto offerings from other shops and probably NZs best ice-cream shop.
The siamu popo is to die for.

Cons: Can be super busy on summer evenings.

Amazing Ice Creams - Edit

With many really fancy cones available and a large list of unique flavours, of which five are vegan, the ice creams come highly decorated with all manner of interesting stuff. A reasonable price considering that these are way beyond the normal ice cream experience. All made by the resident chef.

Also the many staff come from all different countries, and are very friendly. An experience to go there. Even on a cool evening they were overflowing with customers,

Pros: Friendly, Amazing, Tasty

Cons: Not cheap

Return to Auckland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Giapo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1139 times since Oct 2014.