Gelarmony - Marcantonio Colonna

• Other Other
Contact 063202395

34 Via Marcantonio Colonna, Rome, Italy,

Sicilian gelateria with multiple locations. In the back of the shop you will find many vegan gelato with flavors like cinnamon, pistachio, walnut. Has soy cream as topping, vegan cones. In the front of the shop are Sicilian granita and confectionary specialties like cannoli and cassata. Only a few stool seating in the back counter. Directions: Located on the west side of the Tiber River, northeast of the Vatican, a few blocks south of the Lepanto metro stop.

First Review by chloeingermany

Ice cream parlour in Prati district - Edit

There's a separate counter for soy-based ice creams. Some flavours like gianduia chocolate and pistachio are made with olive oil in place of eggs as emulsifier. Taste is quite natural although a little too sweet to my liking. Cones are well filled inside, important detail.
I'd appreciate also to read a complete list of ingredients. Very few ice cream parlours put it clearly in view. As well as on milk and eggs, infact, I'd like to be fully informed on the presence of any other animal derivatives amongst the ingredients.

Pros: open on Sunday

Cons: ingredients are not organic

I love Gelarmony - Edit

Ok so this was my first place to actually find successfully using Happycow. There were only 5 soy ice creams and there were at the nearside of the counter. The guy serving didn't know what a vegan was so I just askedfor soy. I had the hazelnut and pistachio and was happy out!

Pros: Amazing Gelato!

Cons: Don't expect more than 5 flavours

Massively overrated, completely disappointed - Edit

After reading all these reviews about a special room in the back with vegan flavors, I was EXTREMELY disappointed when I went here.

1. There's no special room for vegans or anything like that. The back room is smoothies now.

2. They had 4 vegan flavors in the corner, and trying to get an employee to come to the end of the counter to help me was nearly impossible. They ignored me to help everyone else.

3. The guy who served me was super rude

4. The soy whipped cream is not vegan. A sign says it has milk protein.

5. I had to fight with the employee to not give me the whipped cream. "It's soy." "Yeah, but it says it's not vegan. I'm vegan." "But it's soy." Ugh.

6. The vegan flavors the day I went were vanilla, pistacchio, walnut, Brazil nut. Boring!

This place was hugely overrated in my opinion. Maybe it used to be better, but you couldn't pay me to go back here. I'll stick with Blue Ice.

Cons: Rude as hell

Amazing selection of vegan gelato - Edit

This place is great! The back counter is full of soy gelato options. I only got to go here twice, but everything I had was great. I particularly liked the pistachio (pistachi) and cinnamon (cannela) flavors. I wish I has been able to go more and try everything!

I really like that they put their ingredients for the soy whipped topping and soy gelato base right up there on the wall (in italian). But, the soy whipped topping has a milk derivative (my italian isn't great but I think it was casein), so skip it if you are vegan. Most gelato isn't served with whipped cream anyway, so you won't miss it.

Pros: Huge vegan selection, Absolutely delicious, Ingredients on the wall

Cons: Soy whipped topping is NOT vegan

Unmissable ice-cream - Edit

Many vegan options, pistachio and coconut dark chocolate are my favorite flavors!
You can also choose vegan/gluten free cone.

SOY WHIPPED CREAM CONTAINS LACTOSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros: Amazing, Cheap

Cons: WHIPPED CREAM CONTAINS LACTOSE!!!!!!!!!!

Simply heavenly!!! - Edit

Today is our last day in Rome and visiting Gelarmony was just the perfect goodbye for vegan gelato (I wish we would have tried this wonderful gelateria earlier...). YES, this location offered everything I generally look for:
- huge variety of vegan soy gelato (chocolate, gianduja, hazelnut, walnut, coconut, coffee, soy yogurt, vanilla, cinnamon, pistacchio, sweet melon, orange-carrot, strawberry)
- friendly staff
- and very simpathetic atmosphere & philosphy of the gelateria in general: easy to locate within the store the soy section, they use no artificial ingredients, etc.

Kudos to Gelarmony! :-))

Pros: huge variety of soy gelato, friendly staff, good atmosphere

You really need to go here - Edit

This place was a bit out of the way, but we worked it into a walk to Vatican City, and, man, am I glad we did. As noted, the vegan options are located in the back shop, and you will be overwhelmed by the options. I had the hazelnut chocolate, regular chocolate, and walnut, plus soy whipped cream on top. This was the creamiest, richest gelato I had in Italy and one of the most memorable. You won't regret walking over here, and the range of vegan flavors available, plus the quality, is sure to please. The vegan whipped cream was so light and airy; it reminded me of Chantilly cream. Between two of us we had six gigantic scoops, plus whipped cream, and it was only 6 euro.

Pros: so many vegan flavors, rich, creamy gelato, vegan whipped cream!

Soy Whipped Cream - Edit

We had visited about five gelaterias from Happy Cow during our stay in Italy. This was the final one and the best. You have to go to the back to get the soy options, but they are plentiful and hard to choose. It is a bit further removed from the tourist zones and about 2 miles north of the Vatican. The whipped cream on top (something we saw at no other gelateria) was so light and wonderful. I think I had caffe, choco-hazlenut, and coconut. Definitely worth the out-of-the-way walk!

Pros: vegan whipped cream, great, bountiful vegan options, best Gelateria

Great selection of vegan ice cream - Edit

... 15 flavours of vegan ice cream, all in a separate cabinet from the dairy ones. Well worth a visit and getting through the crowd that seems to always be there.
Payment seemed a bit confusing - on my first visit I ordered my gelato then paid for it at the till near the door but on my second visit they wouldn't serve me until I paid first.

Pros: great selection

Amazing vegan gelato! - Edit

This is definitely worth a visit! I was a little sad that I would not be able to enjoying the amazing gelato that Rome has to offer, but was excited to find Gelarmony. It was amazing! I couldn't tell it was vegan! I had the coffee and chocolate flavors mixed together and a cone with their orange gelato. It is so creamy and delicious!

Pros: helpful staff, inexpensive, excellent food

AWESOME ice cream parlour in Rome - Edit

This has to be the best vegan ice cream I have ever tasted. I made two trip across the city just to savour this delicious ice cream! There are lots of different varieties to choose from. Prices are excellent for Italy and portion size. My favourite was the coconut and also chocolate flavour! Highly recommended and well worth an extra trip. Take the metro to Lepanto and it is a few minutes walk down the street from there. Enroute to the Vatican or St Peters Square.

Pros: DELICIOUS, Variety, price

Amazing!! - Edit

This place is amazing and an absolute must for vegans visiting Rome, the selection is awesome, the flavors are awesome and they even have vegan cream for on top of your selection of icecream in a cone or a cup!Seriously worth a visit, even if it means going out of your way.! I hobbled there after i ran the Rome Marathon!!worth every painful step!!

Return to Rome Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gelarmony - Marcantonio Colonna closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2664 times since Dec 2010.