Gam-Gam

041-5231495

Cannaregio 1122, Venezia (at Fondamenta de Cannaregio and Gheto Vechio, next to Guglie vaporetto stop), Venice, Italy

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers vegetarian food including falafels, hummus, artichoke hearts, eggplant, peppers, chickpeas, cucumber salad. Eggs used in a few of the dishes but no milk.

Category: Israeli, Kosher, Non-veg

First Review by pradipd

Didn't get to even try something... - Edit

Found this place as we were only round the corner and in need of a decent vegan meal that wasn't pasta with tomato sauce!
We went in and asked a staff member for a table for 2. He proceeded to walk away and not come back, clearly ignoring our request. As we approached a table, thinking maybe you seat yourself, a girl asked if we had a reservation, to which we said no. She said we could maybe sit here (pointing to a table) but she didn't know and would ask the manager. Very strange. As we sat, everyone in the restaurant made us feel very uncomfortable to the point we got up and left. Judging by another review I've seen since, I feel this may be a Jewish only restaurant, as we were definitely not welcome. However, the menu did look nice... maybe you'll have better luck. Never felt so uncomfortable in a restaurant in my life, so 1 star.

Cons: seems to be Jewish only?

Okay food but gave us non-vegan items - Edit

Me and my wife were here a couple of weeks ago. We asked what was vegan and were given several choices (they are not marked in the menu). After making sure a second time that what we ordered was vegan we got several dishes. Something we thought was hummus tasted funny and when asking about it they said without hesitation that is was egg salad. Not a fun surprise. Also, the service was VERY slow.

Pros: Okay food

Cons: Claims non-vegan dishes are vegan, Very slow service

Good food - Edit

The service here is really great. They are very friendly and speak English. My husband loved the latkes with applesauce. I had the hummus with mushrooms and it was fantastic. The bread is also yummy. The fried artichokes are very tasty but probably not very healthy.

Pros: friendly staff, good service , great vegan options

Surprised at the positive reviews - Edit

We thought the food here was mediocre, at best, and overpriced. Fish in a kosher restaurant need not be so expensive (doesn't need a special slaughtering technique), the bass that I ordered was undercooked, and the side dishes were limited; pasta dish my spouse ordered was nothing special. We also tried for a lunch the antipasti for two. The portions were so small we were sure they thought we wanted to share one antipasti order. Just not worth 9.5 Euros per person! The only reason I'll give it three cows and not two is because there are no vegetarian options and barely any other kosher options in Venice. But lack of competition results in a rather underwhelming restaurant.

Pros: Kosher for those who wish, vegetarian and vegan options

Cons: expensive for what you get, mediocre food

Must Try This Place - Edit

It was wonderful to have lunches and dinners just close to the water. I suggest to sit outside in this place. The staff is very friendly and speaks English very well. They also are prepared on what is vegan in the menu. I kindly suggest the GamGam starter (wide selection of well cooked vegetables, with also felafel and humus) and also the fried artichokes with tahina.
Also the price is very competitive , considering the location .
I strongly suggest to try this place.

Pros: Good Food, Nice Place, Friendly Staff

Cons: N.a.

Good find - Edit

Busy little place in the Jewish area so it's also Kosher. Easy to find.
We had the aubergine and chickpea dish and potato latkas which was all delicious. Not too pricey for Venice either.

Pros: Easy to find, Quick service, Very tasty food

Great place for family - Edit

My 2 veg kids and I loved this restaurant! We were tired of bread, pizza, pasta and needed some veggies and protein....friendly staff....great desserts as well...loved it

Very good food, nice place. - Edit

I ate here one evening in February 2013. The atmosphere was nice, very busy but we didn't reserve. The staff were friendly and very vegan-aware. We had a mezze platter, grilled artichoke bottoms and a rich aubergine dish. That was plenty for two people, and came, together with two glasses of wine, to around 25 EUR. Plus, the restaurant is in a great area, well worth a visit if you're new to Venice.

Pros: Great food, Well-priced, Friendly staff

Great food - Edit

The Gam-Gam is a great choice if you want to sit at the side of a canal and taste a great vegan or vegetarian meal. The prices are ok for Venice and the staff is very friendly.

Pros: great food, variety of food

Worth a visit. - Edit

The food was pretty good, especially the mixed starter, and the staff went out of their way to be helpful despite the restaurant being full (and they also spoke good English). Not your average dining experience, and certainly worth a try.
Edit: I have since been back a second time, and this review stands.

Pros: Excellent staff, Interesting food, Good value (in Venice!)

Cons: Busy

Nice place to visit in Venice - Edit

One of the best places to have deliciuos dinner in the chilly evening. The staff are friendly and speak English. There is variety of dishes on the menu. The food is very tasty. They serve the best falafel we have ever tasted. The prices are not low but still not higher than the average restaurant prices in Venice.

Pros: Very tasty food, Friendly staff, Nice atmosphere

Ok - Edit

Ordered a quick falafel & hummus to go. They didn't know what tahini was, but oh well. It got me through the day.

Something different - Edit

After numerous marinaras and other forms of basic Italian food, it was really nice to eat some middle eastern stuff. The Israeli food at Gam-Gam is a mix of Lebanese style dishes (hommous etc) and Jewish deli foods (potato cakes, matzo).

The mixed entree is the star of the menu. I think if this place were located somewhere else in the world it would be less popular, but in Italy it's a bit of a cuisine oasis so it's worth checking out.

Pros: Location, Variety

Cons: Vegan options not marked

Lovely food & great staff. - Edit

We visited Venice in freezing February, & thoroughly enjoyed our evening at Gam Gam. We only just missed the rush & got the last table (we arrived just after 7 pm), so be early or be disappointed ! We both had the mixed starter
as our main - as others have described, it was an eclectic mix of Jewish & Mediterranean dishes - lovely ! The staff were very helpful, especially considering how busy they were. Definitely worth a visit.

Pros: Location, Staff, Food

Not so nice... :o/ - Edit

I have chosen the Gam-Gam for my wedding-meal (!), because I thought it would be special location for a special occasion...and there are not many alternative restaurants for vegan-options. we were only 6 people so we went there direct after wedding without a reservation. at first when we entered the restaurant the other guest gave us the best wishes for our wedding, but after they asked us if we are jewish (what we are not) we were told to leave because it was only for jews allowed (only that single day (a thursday in june - not even friday/shabbat) or always - I don't know).
so, after all I could not taste anything of the meals and had to walk on to search something else.
I can not recommend anyone, who is obviously not jewish, to go there when hungry, because maybe you have to go on and look for some other place...

Cons: maybe only jewish

Fantastic! - Edit

We were rather disappointed in restaurants in Venice (in taste & price) and then found Gum Gum.
The service is good, it is by the water and near markets, and the food was excellent. It is not cheap but reasonable for Venice with great selections for Vegetarians/Vegans.
Also I think as Vegetarian/Vegan, Italian food could get boring at some point so this was a nice change.

Pros: taste, something different from Italian Food, location

Cons: not fully veggie

Amazing - Edit

Gam Gam was our favourite restaurant in Venice and tied for best we found in Italy. Not strictly veggie, but they are SO helpful and friendly. We had their selection of (12) appetizers, all veggie, then a roasted eggplant dish. We came back the next night for two different dishes also great. Go early, they get lineups!

Pros: friendly service, lots of options, reasonably priced

Yay no more Spaghetti al Pomodoro! - Edit

This place was great. The staff spoke excellent English and understood what vegan was. I had the Israeli Appetizer (ask for it without the eggs), which was a variety of small appetizers including some deliciously spiced chick peas, falafel, hummus, baba ganoush, cucumber & tomato. For vegan entrees they had couscous and vegetables, or eggplant with tomato sauce and chick peas on top. I had the cous cous, which was ok, but not as good as the appetizers.

Pros: Nice Staff, English spoken

Return to Venice Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gam-Gam closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.