Gam-Gam

• Veg-friendly
Contact 041-5231495

Cannaregio 1122, Venezia (at Fondamenta de Cannaregio and Gheto Vechio, next to Guglie vaporetto stop), Venice, Italy,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers vegetarian food including falafels, hummus, artichoke hearts, eggplant, peppers, chickpeas, cucumber salad. Eggs used in a few of the dishes but no milk.

Category: Israeli, Kosher, Non-veg

First Review by pradipd

Good food - Edit

The service here is really great. They are very friendly and speak English. My husband loved the latkes with applesauce. I had the hummus with mushrooms and it was fantastic. The bread is also yummy. The fried artichokes are very tasty but probably not very healthy.

Pros: friendly staff, good service , great vegan options

Surprised at the positive reviews - Edit

We thought the food here was mediocre, at best, and overpriced. Fish in a kosher restaurant need not be so expensive (doesn't need a special slaughtering technique), the bass that I ordered was undercooked, and the side dishes were limited; pasta dish my spouse ordered was nothing special. We also tried for a lunch the antipasti for two. The portions were so small we were sure they thought we wanted to share one antipasti order. Just not worth 9.5 Euros per person! The only reason I'll give it three cows and not two is because there are no vegetarian options and barely any other kosher options in Venice. But lack of competition results in a rather underwhelming restaurant.

Pros: Kosher for those who wish, vegetarian and vegan options

Cons: expensive for what you get, mediocre food

Must Try This Place - Edit

It was wonderful to have lunches and dinners just close to the water. I suggest to sit outside in this place. The staff is very friendly and speaks English very well. They also are prepared on what is vegan in the menu. I kindly suggest the GamGam starter (wide selection of well cooked vegetables, with also felafel and humus) and also the fried artichokes with tahina.
Also the price is very competitive , considering the location .
I strongly suggest to try this place.

Pros: Good Food, Nice Place, Friendly Staff

Cons: N.a.

Good find - Edit

Busy little place in the Jewish area so it's also Kosher. Easy to find.
We had the aubergine and chickpea dish and potato latkas which was all delicious. Not too pricey for Venice either.

Pros: Easy to find, Quick service, Very tasty food

Very good food, nice place. - Edit

I ate here one evening in February 2013. The atmosphere was nice, very busy but we didn't reserve. The staff were friendly and very vegan-aware. We had a mezze platter, grilled artichoke bottoms and a rich aubergine dish. That was plenty for two people, and came, together with two glasses of wine, to around 25 EUR. Plus, the restaurant is in a great area, well worth a visit if you're new to Venice.

Pros: Great food, Well-priced, Friendly staff

Great food - Edit

The Gam-Gam is a great choice if you want to sit at the side of a canal and taste a great vegan or vegetarian meal. The prices are ok for Venice and the staff is very friendly.

Pros: great food, variety of food

Worth a visit. - Edit

The food was pretty good, especially the mixed starter, and the staff went out of their way to be helpful despite the restaurant being full (and they also spoke good English). Not your average dining experience, and certainly worth a try.
Edit: I have since been back a second time, and this review stands.

Pros: Excellent staff, Interesting food, Good value (in Venice!)

Cons: Busy

Nice place to visit in Venice - Edit

One of the best places to have deliciuos dinner in the chilly evening. The staff are friendly and speak English. There is variety of dishes on the menu. The food is very tasty. They serve the best falafel we have ever tasted. The prices are not low but still not higher than the average restaurant prices in Venice.

Pros: Very tasty food, Friendly staff, Nice atmosphere

Something different - Edit

After numerous marinaras and other forms of basic Italian food, it was really nice to eat some middle eastern stuff. The Israeli food at Gam-Gam is a mix of Lebanese style dishes (hommous etc) and Jewish deli foods (potato cakes, matzo).

The mixed entree is the star of the menu. I think if this place were located somewhere else in the world it would be less popular, but in Italy it's a bit of a cuisine oasis so it's worth checking out.

Pros: Location, Variety

Cons: Vegan options not marked

Lovely food & great staff. - Edit

We visited Venice in freezing February, & thoroughly enjoyed our evening at Gam Gam. We only just missed the rush & got the last table (we arrived just after 7 pm), so be early or be disappointed ! We both had the mixed starter
as our main - as others have described, it was an eclectic mix of Jewish & Mediterranean dishes - lovely ! The staff were very helpful, especially considering how busy they were. Definitely worth a visit.

Pros: Location, Staff, Food

Not so nice... :o/ - Edit

I have chosen the Gam-Gam for my wedding-meal (!), because I thought it would be special location for a special occasion...and there are not many alternative restaurants for vegan-options. we were only 6 people so we went there direct after wedding without a reservation. at first when we entered the restaurant the other guest gave us the best wishes for our wedding, but after they asked us if we are jewish (what we are not) we were told to leave because it was only for jews allowed (only that single day (a thursday in june - not even friday/shabbat) or always - I don't know).
so, after all I could not taste anything of the meals and had to walk on to search something else.
I can not recommend anyone, who is obviously not jewish, to go there when hungry, because maybe you have to go on and look for some other place...

Cons: maybe only jewish

Fantastic! - Edit

We were rather disappointed in restaurants in Venice (in taste & price) and then found Gum Gum.
The service is good, it is by the water and near markets, and the food was excellent. It is not cheap but reasonable for Venice with great selections for Vegetarians/Vegans.
Also I think as Vegetarian/Vegan, Italian food could get boring at some point so this was a nice change.

Pros: taste, something different from Italian Food, location

Cons: not fully veggie

Amazing - Edit

Gam Gam was our favourite restaurant in Venice and tied for best we found in Italy. Not strictly veggie, but they are SO helpful and friendly. We had their selection of (12) appetizers, all veggie, then a roasted eggplant dish. We came back the next night for two different dishes also great. Go early, they get lineups!

Pros: friendly service, lots of options, reasonably priced

Yay no more Spaghetti al Pomodoro! - Edit

This place was great. The staff spoke excellent English and understood what vegan was. I had the Israeli Appetizer (ask for it without the eggs), which was a variety of small appetizers including some deliciously spiced chick peas, falafel, hummus, baba ganoush, cucumber & tomato. For vegan entrees they had couscous and vegetables, or eggplant with tomato sauce and chick peas on top. I had the cous cous, which was ok, but not as good as the appetizers.

Pros: Nice Staff, English spoken

delicious! - Edit

we loved gam-gam's. i had never been to an israeli restaurant before, but it was a real treat among all the italian restaurants with few and uninspired veg dishes. the appetizer was really impressive- several small dishes with things such as baba ganoush, hummus, falafel and veggies. (admittedly i didn't like the hummus a whole lot- more bitter and not what i am used to. but all the other were great) . for the main dish, i got the couscous with veggies, which was very good, and there were other things on the menu that sounded good too. my husband is non-veg and he liked his salmon appetizer and chicken stir fry. it was his favorite restaurant in italy as well. it wasn't cheap, but it was reasonably priced for venice.

Simply nice - Edit

Like almost in all restaurants in venice a reservation is recommendable. The starter with several small plates (all vegetarian) is really great, even if some meals are served double.
Our main dishes (couscous with steamed vegetables and deep-fried artichoke) weren't as great as the starter but ok.

Pros: nice ambient, friendly service

good kosher vegan food - Edit

I go to Venice once a year and I always go to Gam Gam, since it's one of the veg-friendliest places in town. The vegetarian appetizers are yummy (if you are vegan like me, ask for eggless dishes), and so are the typical Venetian dishes such as "melanzane del ghetto" (ghetto aubergines) and "fondi di carciofo" (artichoke hearts). The veggie couscous is also a good option. Reservations are suggested, especially if you want to dine alongside the Cannaregio canal in summer (a very pleasant experience). It's also possible to buy take-away falafels.

Pros: vegan appetizers are yummy, dining alongside the canal in summer, typical Venetian dishes

Cons: no credit cards accepted, no vegan desserts

Protein at last! - Edit

Stumbled on this place by accident. Wish we'd seen the reviews in advance. This really is an oasis in a difficult country if you want to get away from pizza or pasta with tomatoes or mushrooms. The variety and quality were such a relief, and probably the best we've had in Italy. Can't recommend highly enough for relaxed dining with good service and healthy food. A few more veggie options and this would be outstanding.

Pros: Quality food, Varied menu, interesting neighbourhood

nice place - Edit

i had the hummus mushroom plate, which was delicious, but not extremely filling. we found it to be a bit expensive, but probably still the most inexpensive place in venice!

Pros: a bit expensive

great kosher vegetarian food - Edit

We ate lunch at this restaurant and although they serve meat there is NO DAIRY . The veg food was very delicious and the meat dishes are clearly marked.
I would visit this place again .

Pros: very homely, very good food, good value

Best Food in Venice - Edit

Venice is a carnivorous city. There are NO vegetarian restaurants. Given this fact, Gam Gam is an oasis. While it is not an exclusive vegetarian restaurant, it is an upscale kosher, middle eastern restaurant, with very refined table service at reasonable prices. More importantly, like most middle eastern restaurants, there is no dearth of vegetarian choices. To top it all, the food was excellent! The Israeli appetizers platter for one at 9.50 Euros is a real delight. It comes with 6 small plates of different appetizers and a basket of bread. The lentil soup and the potato latkes were the best I have had.

Pros: Flavors, Choices

Cons: Not fully vegetarian

Return to Venice Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gam-Gam closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7949 times since Aug 2007.