First Review by erbavore

Great food, poor service - Edit

The food is great, all vegan and well presented. The service is horrible and as such should not warrant a 4.

Fressen - Edit

Bottom line, Fressen did not live up to all of the hype. The restaurant was upscale bohemian and the service was spotty. The plantain cakes were unusual but good, and they even had a nice kick to them. Our server recommended two entrees, the spelt linguine and the grilled black bean seitan. The pasta was OK, but the pesto on top of it had an odd flavor - it's possible the base was pecans. My boyfriend absolutely disliked the grilled black bean seitan, and I couldn't agree with him more. His meal was actually terrible and had a strong vinegar taste. The seitan was formed into a sausage and had strange textures and flavors. We spent about $100 there and came away feeling lackluster about our meal. Having said all of that, I probably wouldn't recommend Fressen to any of my friends.

Quality food, nice atmosphere - Edit

I was lucky make it here on my Toronto visit. The food was well prepared and presented beautifully. The space is pretty nice and would be a good place to bring a date. Without drinks, and no dessert (too full), the meal came to $55 for two entrees and the 3 cold appetizers, so I couldn't eat here every night. Would be nice though.

Pros: Great food, Nice ambiance

Cons: Little pricy

Great spot - Edit

Always dine there when in Toronto. Great choices, yummy tastes, happy wait staff.

Pros: Good menu, Nice atmosphere, Good service

Cons: Down stairs to restroom, Parking

Best dessert ever! - Edit

The food was delicious and wonderfully presented.

Polenta: nice texture and goes well with the bed of spinach
Grilled black bean seitan: the sausage(?) was okay (a bit on the dry side, but I like my food non-greasy, so didn't mind it), and the sauteed vegetable was really good!
Crusted tofu: the tofu was delicious with a bit of a kick. The non-vegan hubby loved it.

The dessert: it was the best dessert I ever had! The chocolate was not too sweet, had the perfect firmness that was heavenly as it melted in my mouth. The fruits complemented the chocolate and the mousse perfectly. I can't wait to eat it again.

Pros: dessert, ambiance, friendly staff

Best Vegan restaurant in TO - Edit

My husband and I had an amazing meal here. The food, the atmosphere and the service was perfection. I can't wait to go again.

Good food - indifferent servers - Edit

This is a nice restaurant, and it would be nicer if the staff wasn't so eager to close up. We made a reservation for 9:30 on a Saturday night. Before arriving we were told that the kitchen closed at 10. Right when we sat down, though, they told us we had to order right away. I asked why there were closing so early, and the server replied, "Well, we'd like to go out tonight, too."

With about 10 tables still eating, another couple walked in at 9:50, and asked if they could order something, and the server said, "No." If this were my restaurant, I'd be pretty upset to find my staff sending business away.

With a bunch of tapas dishes on the table, I asked if we could get a couple more pieces of bread, but the server said, "kitchen closed." Now...I've worked in many restaurants, and I suspect that the server wasn't thinking I wanted her to bake a new loaf of bread for me -- she could easily have sliced some and brought it out. You don't need a chef for that.

Anyway, decent food, but lame service, which makes for a rather mediocre experience overall.

Pros: nice presentation, tasty food

Cons: staff is unpleasant, eager to close, pricey

Amazing tapas and soups - Edit

The soups are realy great. Some tapas dishes are amazing, but others not much, like the gluten one. Very Nice atmosphere in a weekends brunch and good service.I like the super mixed greens salad in a tangy sesame soy carrot dressing.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 07, 2011
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 07, 2011

fressensational - Edit

wicked atmosphere, super friendly/witty staff, delicious food. Best restaurant in Toronto; not a super diverse menu, but super tasty.

Pros: Candle-lit tables, Fresh, culinary artistry

Cons: tiny bit pricey, not enough non alcoholic beverages, non existant dessert menu

amazing meal - Edit

I ate at Fressen in February with 6 non-vegetarian friend, 3 of which self-identify as carnivores. Everyone raved about their meals and talked about returning as soon as possible for more delicious Fressen food!

We ordered appetizers, salads, entrees, drinks and dessert. The notable appetizers included the tempeh "fish sticks", which the non-vegetarians especially loved, and the white bean (or possibly butter bean) pate that was offered on the tapas menu.

Entrees included a nice selection of at least one tofu, tempeh, seitan, lentil or bean stew, and pasta option. We tried almost one of everything, and everyone loved each item they tasted. Portions were sufficient for a satisfying meal, and items were creatively prepared. I liked the tofu, tempeh and seitan meals the best.

The dessert was a delicious decadent flourless chocolate cake with hazelnut ganache and truffles. The cake was avocado based, and was so amazingly delicious.

People who drank alcohol responded positively about the drinks. The after-dinner espresso was very strong and tasty. The price per person was about $40, but could have easily been reduced by half without drinks and appetizers.

Cheers to Fressen, I highly recommend the restaurant for vegans and non-vegan loved ones.

Pros: delicious, distinctive food, sufficient portions, nice atmosphere

Cons: a tad pricey

Love it!!! - Edit

From one vegan cafe to another vegan restaurant, we love Fressen! The staff, the food, the ambience.....We recommend this restaurant to everyone we know and all end up having a truly fantastic time when they dine there.
I personally love the jicama Salad (appetizer), Spinach Blinis (shared appetizer) and Crusted Tempeh as my entree.
You must try it and enjoy this must-do experience!!
Kelly Childs
Kindfood (Burlington ON)

Pros: Staff, Excellent VEGAN Food, Romantic Ambience

not worth going - Edit

my husband and i came here nov 2010. when we walked in, we were treated rudely. we waiting minutes until a waitress who looked like she hadn't washed her hair in months came up and asked if we had a reservation. we said no. she RELUCTANTLY let us sit in an open table. she was unfriendly the entire time we were there.

we ordered the morroccan stew and the crusted tempeh. both were good, but it was also something that i could make at home.

not worth going out to get treated rudely to have something to eat that tastes like something easy to make at home! we didn't even stay for desert because we didn't want to bother.

Pros: decent food

Cons: rude workers, "boring" food

Not worth the hype, better options in the city - Edit

For the priciest and some say the best vegan dining in Canada, I've been very disappointed. It is nothing compared to other gourmet vegan dining like Madeleine Bistro in Los Angeles or Candle 79 in New York. The food is just average and I wouldn't say it outshines the likes of moderately priced cafes like Fresh or Live in Toronto unless you're going for the atmosphere. The wait staff has also been rude. If you haven't had the opportunity to experience high end vegan dining before Fressen, I'd say give it a try. I may just have been spoiled and have had higher expectations for such a pricey meal. The brunch was especially disappointing to the four of us who tried it recently.

Pros: Atmosphere

Cons: Price, Doesn't live up to the hype

Fressen was fabulous! - Edit

Today me and my dad went to Fressen for dinner, and I am glad to say that it was fantastic! We got a set of three tapas ($15): a cold zucchini soup, babaganoush with bread, and a beet and mandarin salad. They were all incredible; The spices and herbs used perfectly complemented the main ingredients. For the entree, I got the seitan kabobs with veggies and my dad got the spelt pesto pasta. To be honest, I was jealous of my dad's pasta. I loved my dish as well, but the pasta was exceptional. The dessert (there's only one!) was also delicious. My dad is an omni and he said it was one of the best meals he's ever had - veg or otherwise! I definitely recommend this restaurant to everyone. *I also recommend making a reservation so you can be guaranteed a seat!

Pros: Amazing food, Good prices for the quality, Friendly staff

Cons: It was slow when it got busy

Most Amazing Veg Resto Ever!!! - Edit

I'm addicted! The unusual food combos that mix blissfully together is the reason my non-vegetarian boyfriend and I frequent this stop.

Pros: crazy good food, friendly staff, crazy good cesars

Good vegan food - Edit

I went to Fressen with my boyfriend. That was the most expensive vegan dinner i had during my trip in Toronto, but also probably the best.
The two girls serving our table were helpful and quick. When i told one of them their home made bread was amazing, she smiled and came back with a big basket!
We had good wine, good apetizers ( olives, and sweet potato tartelettes )
I ate pastas. They were good but i've had better. I'm a big fan of pastas and cook a lot at home so maybe that's why i'm picky. My boyfriend had the beer battered tofu and it was just perfect, and the plate was beautiful.
I couldnt finish the dessert. It was huge. They only had one choice, which is an avocado-chocolate mousse cake. Tasty, well presented, but rich and hard to eat because we were already full. When we ordered, the girl said : One to share? And we said no, 2, one each. She should have warned us about the size! We didnt knew. Anyway we wrapped them and ate them for breakfast!
We liked the place. We were in jeans and didnt seem to fit around all those 'dressed for the occasion' persons around but we still received great service and enjoyed our evening without problems.
Nice jazz music, lovely decoration.
Will be back if i can.

Contributions +38

Pretty good - Edit

I came here with my family one night and they were packed. So we waited for a while to get a table, and waited quite a bit to get our food (understandably). My meal was pretty delicious- i got the crispy tempeh and we ordered king mushrooms for an appetizer. We also had a jack daniels chocolate cake that was yummy. The prices are pretty high though, you don't get a lot of food and its not extrodinary even though its good.

Pros: tasty , organic , nice atmosphere

Cons: expensive

Disappointing brunch - Edit

We had out-of-town guests and wanted to take them out to a special brunch. We'd been to Fressen three years ago but not since, and were expecting a stellar (if expensive) meal. Instead, we got an adequate and expensive meal. The choices, while creative, were not anything that special, and weren't prepared particularly well. Our corn cakes were burned, the potatoes didn't seem quite cooked enough, and a lot of the meal was pretty bland. The waitstaff was rude and unhelpful. We were embarrassed we'd taken our guests there, and wish we'd gone to Live instead.

I'm glad that there's a nice vegan restaurant like this in Toronto, but our last meal there doesn't make me want to go back when I can instead go to places like Fresh, Vegetarian Haven, and Live.

Cons: rude staff, overpriced food, bland

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Fressen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.